Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 01:40 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member
 
QZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: S.E. PA
Posts: 5,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

In contrast, they are, going to release a FW fix for other issues in the VT30 any day now and how long has that model been available?

Don't recall the exact availability time difference right now, but the VT30 was, certainly, after the GT30, as usual.
QZ1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Camster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

My email from Panasonic about brightness issue:

prodtv@callcenter.us.panasonic.com to me

show details 11:05 AM (40 minutes ago)

Thank you for your inquiry. There is no quality issue with the TV's panel or components. The televisions are operating as it was designed.

Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

Had the same response about Floating Blacks on my G20.

No one should buy a Panny tv expecting firmware fixes to be released or fix current issues. Buy the set if you like it or are aware of any issues it has & be prepared to live with them or simply enjoy the set for what it is.

I thought they would put out an update for FB's on my G20 & even asked them that. "Your set is working as designed...."

This Brightness thing will be considered a feature not a flaw as it progresses.....
Camster is offline  
post #543 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
JLennerth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is the best thread to find out how to break in a GT30? Can't I just leave CNN HD or some channel like that on when I'm not watching tv?
JLennerth is offline  
post #544 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
 
GSDTrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

Where is the best thread to find out how to break in a GT30? Can't I just leave CNN HD or some channel like that on when I'm not watching tv?

Lower the brightness and contrast, try to keep your viewing full screen, grab a 12 pack, sit back, relax and enjoy your new TV
GSDTrainer is offline  
post #545 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

Where is the best thread to find out how to break in a GT30? Can't I just leave CNN HD or some channel like that on when I'm not watching tv?

Doesn't CNN have a ticker running at the bottom of the screen? If so, that can be bad for a new display. Don't use ESPN because they also do SD on their HD channels with their own side bars which is worse that black side bars.

You want to avoid fixed images and black bars for a while. Find a channel that doesn't keep their logo on the screen and stays in HD mode all the time. Watch 1.77 aspect ratio movies or 1.85 movies in full mode.
htwaits is offline  
post #546 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Lower the brightness and contrast, try to keep your viewing full screen, grab a 12 pack, sit back, relax and enjoy your new TV

When I was worried about that a few years ago, I zoomed those channels for a few months to get logo's and tickers off the screen. I have that Panasonic today and there is no uneven wear.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is online now  
post #547 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

When I was worried about that a few years ago, I zoomed those channels for a few months to get logo's and tickers off the screen. I have that Panasonic today and there is no uneven wear.

- Rich

That one way to watch almost everything without worries.
htwaits is offline  
post #548 of 4163 Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
John Kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

In other words, one can try to return an item for any reason. As long as the item is in like-new condition with all accessories, no specific reasons are excluded...just that they can decide not to accept it.

The reason that clause is in there, is to prevent an excessive number of returns, in a certain period of time; but, they can, and probably do, use that as a catch-all to deny a few returns for flaws, that they find to be insignificant.

Chill out with the best buy conspiracy theories. People are only refused if an item is broken. You can return an item at any best buy you purchased from any other best buy. Money says that there isn't one person in the united states that tried to return a gt30 - completely undamaged, and missing nothing at all - that was denied.
John Kramer is offline  
post #549 of 4163 Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Member
 
Chaunce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've heard that the GT30 in THX mode has no fluctuating brightness. Whats to stop you from watching everything in THX mode?
Chaunce is offline  
post #550 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've decided I'm going plasma, but this fluctuating blacks issue is the only thing keeping me from buying this TV. It's blows my mind that Panasonic would allow this to happen, and then not even acknowledge the problems exists and offer to fix it via firmware, which could obviously be done.


Now I'm learning that this has been a problem for a couple years now, and people just put up with it? How on earth is Panasonic considered the plasma leader when they've got these kinds of problems?

Is there any chance this is a TV by TV situation, and some don't have the problem? I'd suspect this is highly unlikely, as it's most likely a problem within the software, but I guess it's possible there is more to it?

Tigerriot is offline  
post #551 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

I've decided I'm going plasma, but this fluctuating blacks issue is the only thing keeping me from buying this TV.

Plenty of owners have posted here and elsewhere that their GT30s don't seem to have much if any Fluctuating Brightness issues, while others do have it and do see it.


Quote:


It's blows my mind that Panasonic would allow this to happen, and then not even acknowledge the problems exists and offer to fix it via firmware, which could obviously be done.

According to Panasonic insiders, Panasonic is aware of the problem and is looking into it, but if it turns out to be a hardware problem then a firmware fix wouldn't be possible.


Quote:


Now I'm learning that this has been a problem for a couple years now, and people just put up with it?

No, this Fluctuating Brightness issue is only on the 2011 models is the opposite of the Floating Blacks issue that plagued most of the 2010 models and other random models going back as far as 2006. My 2009 G10 and 2007 PZ700U do not have Floating Blacks. Do not confuse the 2011 Fluctuating Brightness (FBr) issue with the previous Floating Black (FB) issue. They're completely opposite - and apparently a by-product of them correcting the FB issues from last year.


Quote:


How on earth is Panasonic considered the plasma leader when they've got these kinds of problems?

It could mean that Panasonic's issues are less impactive than the other brands' issues. All it takes to be the plasma leader is to make a plasma that sucks less than the competition, they don't have to be perfect.


Quote:


Is there any chance this is a TV by TV situation, and some don't have the problem? I'd suspect this is highly unlikely, as it's most likely a problem within the software, but I guess it's possible there is more to it?

The GT30 seems to be more affected than the ST30 and VT30, and some examples of GT30 are not as bad as others so there is apparently some variation.

I spent about a half hour auditioning a 50GT30 and 60GT30 at Magnolia a few weeks ago, reclining on the sofa in a dark room with the remote while watching ESPN-HD over DirecTV, and i did not see one single instance of Fluctuating Brightness on that content. I was really looking for it, but it never reared it's ugly head. Some owners have reported seeing maybe one or two instances of FBr during a movie while others have seen it a lot more. It's possible that if they were playing a Blu-Ray movie then the FBr problem would have shown up, but they didn't have players connected to the TVs yet.

There is no one single answer to the whole FBr issue - it could come down to manufacturing variances, source, content, settings, etc.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #552 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

According to Panasonic insiders, Panasonic is aware of the problem and is looking into it, but if it turns out to be a hardware problem then a firmware fix wouldn't be possible.

No, this Fluctuating Brightness issue is only on the 2011 models is the opposite of the Floating Blacks issue that plagued most of the 2010 models and other random models going back as far as 2006. My 2009 G10 and 2007 PZ700U do not have Floating Blacks. Do not confuse the 2011 Fluctuating Brightness (FBr) issue with the previous Floating Black (FB) issue. They're completely opposite - and apparently a by-product of them correcting the FB issues from last year.

I am not confusing the issues in any way. CNET specifically mentions in their review of the GT30 that they "noted" fluctuating brightness" in their GT25 review last year. This is not the long term rising black levels issue, that has also plagued the previous couple years of Panasonics.

"These two tests are enough to convince us that the GT30 still exhibits the "floating blacks" we noted last year. They're somewhat uncommon and not a major performance issue for most people, but sharp-eyed viewers may find them distracting."

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...ml?tag=rvwBody

This is why I also have to wonder about any reports that they're aware of the problem and are looking into it. If last year's models had it, and they did nothing about it, what makes anyone think they're going to fix it this year with a firmware update? And furthermore, why isn't there more uproar over this? Repeatedly releasing TVs that exhibit this problem year after year. Not to mention the rising black levels over the long term. It's troubling.




Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It could mean that Panasonic's issues are less impactive than the other brands' issues. All it takes to be the plasma leader is to make a plasma that sucks less than the competition, they don't have to be perfect.


The GT30 seems to be more affected than the ST30 and VT30, and some examples of GT30 are not as bad as others so there is apparently some variation.

I spent about a half hour auditioning a 50GT30 and 60GT30 at Magnolia a few weeks ago, reclining on the sofa in a dark room with the remote while watching ESPN-HD over DirecTV, and i did not see one single instance of Fluctuating Brightness on that content. I was really looking for it, but it never reared it's ugly head. Some owners have reported seeing maybe one or two instances of FBr during a movie while others have seen it a lot more. It's possible that if they were playing a Blu-Ray movie then the FBr problem would have shown up, but they didn't have players connected to the TVs yet.

There is no one single answer to the whole FBr issue - it could come down to manufacturing variances, source, content, settings, etc.

I keep hearing that movies with darker scenes are the number one example for this problem, so I'm not surprised you didn't notice it.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #553 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
JLennerth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the calibration DVD & will be getting a GT30 sometime in the next 6 months. I plan on leaving the calibration DVD run on my PS3 during the overnight hours. I'll probably leave it on THX mode too. Do I need to turn up the brightness as well to speed up the break-in process or just set it to THX and leave?
JLennerth is offline  
post #554 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

I am not confusing the issues in any way. CNET specifically mentions in their review of the GT30 that they "noted" fluctuating brightness" in their GT25 review last year.

Yes you are confusing this years floating brightness issue with last year’s floating blacks issue, and so is David at CNet – he used the wrong term also and it’s causing a lot of confusion.

D-Nice identified the Fluctuating Brightness issue when he first got his hands on a GT30 and basically said it’s the opposite of Floating Blacks. Here is one of his early posts:

“The way that the 2011 Panasonics "creates" the on screen image is very interesting. If I could sum it up in one word it would be Dynamic. I have now learned that the fluctuating brightness is inherent to the "driving" scheme of the 2011 plasmas and was present... in reverse... on the 2010s. All 2011 Panasonics will have fluctuating brightness levels. Some will be/are better than others when it comes to fluctuations because of variations in manufacturing (I saw this first hand as the ST30 fluctuates brightness levels just not as much as the GT30).“

While David K is knowledgeable, I’ll go with D-Nice’s explanation and the terminology he uses. David did the public a disservice by using the wrong term. He needs to correct his review.

Quote:


This is not the long term rising black levels issue, that has also plagued the previous couple years of Panasonics. . .

I never said it was. The Fluctuating Brightness (also called Fluctuating Gamma etc) issue is completely different than previous years’ Floating Blacks issue and the Rising Blacks issue.

Quote:


This is why I also have to wonder about any reports that they're aware of the problem and are looking into it. If last year's models had it, and they did nothing about it, what makes anyone think they're going to fix it this year with a firmware update? And furthermore, why isn't there more uproar over this? Repeatedly releasing TVs that exhibit this problem year after year. Not to mention the rising black levels over the long term. It's troubling. .

There is tons of uproar over this FBr issue, and yes it's very troubling.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #555 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yes you are confusing this years floating brightness issue with last year's floating blacks issue, and so is David at CNet - he used the wrong term also and it's causing a lot of confusion.

D-Nice identified the Fluctuating Brightness issue when he first got his hands on a GT30 and basically said it's the opposite of Floating Blacks. Here is one of his quotes:

The way that the 2011 Panasonics "creates" the on screen image is very interesting. If I could sum it up in one word it would be Dynamic. I have now learned that the fluctuating brightness is inherent to the "driving" scheme of the 2011 plasmas and was present... in reverse... on the 2010s. All 2011 Panasonics will have fluctuating brightness levels. Some will be/are better than others when it comes to fluctuations because of variations in manufacturing (I saw this first hand as the ST30 fluctuates brightness levels just not as much as the GT30).
While David K is knowledgeable, I'll go with D-Nice's explanation and the terminology he uses. David did the public a disservice by using the wrong term. He needs to correct his review.

I never said it was. The Fluctuating Brightness (also called Fluctuating Gamma etc) issue is completely different than previous years' Floating Blacks issue and the Rising Blacks issue.

There is tons of uproar over this FBr issue, and yes it's very troubling.

So just to clarify, you're suggesting 3 separate issues have plagued recent Panasonics? Rising black levels, fluctuating brightness (2010), and dynamically adjusting gamma on the 2011's? Because that is how it sounded from your response there.

Tigerriot is offline  
post #556 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

So just to clarify, you're suggesting 3 separate issues have plagued recent Panasonics? Rising black levels, fluctuating brightness (2010), and dynamically adjusting gamma on the 2011's? Because that is how it sounded from your response there.

Yes.

Rising Blacks - seems to have started on the 2008 models. My G10 is the most adversely affected model, but at least it doesn't have Floating Blacks or Floating Brightness (both would irritate me more than RB).

Floating Blacks - has been happening on some (but not all) Pro and Consumer models and years since about 2005 or 2006. I have seen this from time to time on my 2007 PZ700U while watching movies. Does not occur on my G10 however.

Fluctuating Brightness (also called Fluctuating Gamma) - new for 2011, seemingly the opposite of Floating Blacks - probably due to Panasonic screwing up whatever they did to correct the Floating Black issue.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #557 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Chaunce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought my GT30 this morning, threw in a blu-ray on my Oppo and I didn't notice anything. I went through dark scenes, light scenes and it all looks damn brilliant to me. I'll keep you guys updated as I spend more time with it - but as of right now it looks like a pretty damn amazing set. THX mode rocks.
Chaunce is offline  
post #558 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunce View Post

I just bought my GT30 this morning, threw in a blu-ray on my Oppo and I didn't notice anything. I went through dark scenes, light scenes and it all looks damn brilliant to me. I'll keep you guys updated as I spend more time with it - but as of right now it looks like a pretty damn amazing set. THX mode rocks.

That's reassuring, what's the build date on the back of the set?
whipit is offline  
post #559 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Member
 
sjsufootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Danville, California, USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just received my new GT30 about a week ago and only have about 20 hours on it.
I have noticed horizontal sections of white flashing on the screen at start-up. This continues randomly for the first 5 or 10 minutes then seems to go away.
I checked the HDMI connections and they seem to be fine. It occurs on all HDMI connections(Blu-ray, DirecTV and Internet).
Anybody else had this problem? Is this a break-in issue/adjustment or a HDMI
handshake issue or ????
sjsufootball is offline  
post #560 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Chaunce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

That's reassuring, what's the build date on the back of the set?

MARCH 2011

Do you guys think I should break this plasma in with a special way? Its 100% only DVD/Blu Ray. No gaming or TV whatsoever. Only an Oppo hooked up to it. Think its good to just watch movies like regular or should I break it in?
Chaunce is offline  
post #561 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Joseph1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard the VT30 can produce 1080p/24 source, but not the GT30. It's ashame for people who watches a lot of blu-ray movies.
Joseph1 is offline  
post #562 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
John Kramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1 View Post

I heard the VT30 can produce 1080p/24 source, but not the GT30. It's ashame for people who watches a lot of blu-ray movies.

Technically, it receives the source, it does not produce it. With 3:2 pulldown enabled, it handles 1080p/24 without errors or hitching, as per the CNET review. So no, it does actually handle 1080p/24 just fine.
John Kramer is offline  
post #563 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

Technically, it receives the source, it does not produce it. With 3:2 pulldown enabled, it handles 1080p/24 without errors or hitching, as per the CNET review. So no, it does actually handle 1080p/24 just fine.

I agree, the GT30 60Hz playback of 24p looked great to me. 48Hz was ok but flickered on pans. The VT30 also has 96Hz playback as do the samsungs. I can't tell a difference between 96Hz and 60Hz playback.
zoyd is offline  
post #564 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,760
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunce View Post

Do you guys think I should break this plasma in with a special way? Its 100% only DVD/Blu Ray. No gaming or TV whatsoever. Only an Oppo hooked up to it. Think its good to just watch movies like regular or should I break it in?

Watch movies with 1.77 to 1 aspect ratios (full screen) for a while. Also watch 1.85 to 1 aspect ratio movies with a full setting that will add a little overscan (5%). that will also give you a full screen. After a hundred hours or more, just mix in some of those aspect ratios with the ones that cause black bars on the sides (1.33 to 1) or top and bottom (> 1.85 to 1).

If you don't get in a long term rut, you'll be fine.
htwaits is offline  
post #565 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Member
 
ken325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lititz PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunce View Post

MARCH 2011

Do you guys think I should break this plasma in with a special way? Its 100% only DVD/Blu Ray. No gaming or TV whatsoever. Only an Oppo hooked up to it. Think its good to just watch movies like regular or should I break it in?

I have a 50GT30 with no problems - APRIL 2011 build date.

Ken
ken325i is offline  
post #566 of 4163 Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Newbie
 
stephanhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmmmm. buying this weekend. the 60GT30 or the sammy 59D7000??? this flickering issue has me confused.....
stephanhatch is offline  
post #567 of 4163 Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Yes.

Floating Blacks - has been happening on some (but not all) Pro and Consumer models and years since about 2005 or 2006. I have seen this from time to time on my 2007 PZ700U while watching movies. Does not occur on my G10 however.

Rising Blacks - seems to have started on the 2008 models. My G10 is the most adversely affected model, but at least it doesn't have Floating Blacks or Floating Brightness (both would irritate me more than RB).

Floating Brightness - new for 2011, seemingly the opposite of Floating Blacks - probably due to Panasonic screwing up whatever they did to correct the Floating Black issue.
Based on the evidence I've seen Randy, I don't think your explanation is accurate.

I don't know why you're trying to break this into 3 different issues, but David at CNET seems to suggest there are only two issues, and these videos suggest the exact same thing. You're suggesting this issue is new for 2011, but these videos contradict that claim.

VT20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhC6x-AUt0M

GT30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2LVAYnItOI

Tigerriot is offline  
post #568 of 4163 Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Meh, what do i know

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #569 of 4163 Old 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Member
 
sjsufootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Danville, California, USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsufootball View Post

I just received my new GT30 about a week ago and only have about 20 hours on it.
I have noticed horizontal sections of white flashing on the screen at start-up. This continues randomly for the first 5 or 10 minutes then seems to go away.
I checked the HDMI connections and they seem to be fine. It occurs on all HDMI connections(Blu-ray, DirecTV and Internet).
Anybody else had this problem? Is this a break-in issue/adjustment or a HDMI
handshake issue or ????

Any responses/help on this?
sjsufootball is offline  
post #570 of 4163 Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tigerriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsufootball View Post

Any responses/help on this?

It sounds defective to me. I'd exchange it for a new one.

Tigerriot is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off