Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

Have you actually connected your tv to your router and checked for an update in the tv's software update menu?

I'm a little apprehensive to set foot in this hornet's nest of a thread, but here goes...

I brought home a 55GT30 last night. 2 days prior, I had purchased a Samsung PN51D6500. I wanted the Panasonic originally, but the difference in price at the store was about $500 and I just couldn't justify it. So, I get the Samsung home, unbox it and the first thing I notice is how chintzy the stand is -- I would say it is barely sufficient to support the panel. I get the stand attached finally and get the panel hoisted up into my wall unit, pull off the screen wrapping and... The screen has a large spider-web crack in it!

I call the store and they tell me that I am the 3rd person that day to report a broken screen on the same SKU. Next day, back I go to the store with the broken panel. They wheel out a new one and we unbox it right there on the showroom floor to inspect it. Low-and-behold, that panel also has a crack in it -- much smaller, but still cracked. Then I am told that I will have to wait a while because they have to pull another unit from their central warehouse because the last one we checked was the last in stock at the store.

By this point, I'm getting fed up and thinking more-and-more that Samsung might not be the one for me. I speak to the manager and, long story short, I get the 55GT30 that I originally wanted for only $200 more instead of $500.

The 55GT30 was much-better packed and arrived home, got set-up, etc. just fine. I set up the wireless and immediately checked to see if there was any kind of update available - There is no update available as of today.

I got some basic settings going on it, but haven't got close to doing a fine-tune of the settings. I have to say, to my naked, somewhat-trained eye, the set looks really good in THX mode pretty much right out of the box. I haven't watched anything real close yet, but off-hand I see no fluctuating brightness (turn that C.A.T.S off immediately!), no floating blacks, no flashes, blobs or anything that I would call unusual to any other plasma panel. I've had it on for about 2 hours so far this morning and there is no audible buzzing or whirring heard from a distance of more than a foot or 2. So far, I think I'll be very happy with it.

One final note - some reviews are badgering about Panasonic's menu design and picture setting options. I don't know what they are on about because the Panny's are clearly better than the 2011 Samsung's IMO. For just one thing, the D6500 doesn't have a "Custom" option. My last set was a Panny TH-PZ800U from 2008 and the menu options on the GT30 are significantly improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Can someone tell me that has had both the ST30 and GT30 if it is worth the extra cost to get the GT30?

I just purchased the ST30 from Best Buy

Thanks

Frank
TC-P50-ST30
Dish HOPPER with Sling
B&W Speakers/Polk Active Sub
post #633 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlock View Post

The 55GT30 was much-better packed and arrived home, got set-up, etc. just fine. I set up the wireless and immediately checked to see if there was any kind of update available - There is no update available as of today.

I got some basic settings going on it, but haven't got close to doing a fine-tune of the settings. I have to say, to my naked, somewhat-trained eye, the set looks really good in THX mode pretty much right out of the box. I haven't watched anything real close yet, but off-hand I see no fluctuating brightness (turn that C.A.T.S off immediately!), no floating blacks, no flashes, blobs or anything that I would call unusual to any other plasma panel. I've had it on for about 2 hours so far this morning and there is no audible buzzing or whirring heard from a distance of more than a foot or 2. So far, I think I'll be very happy with it.

One final note - some reviews are badgering about Panasonic's menu design and picture setting options. I don't know what they are on about because the Panny's are clearly better than the 2011 Samsung's IMO. For just one thing, the D6500 doesn't have a "Custom" option. My last set was a Panny TH-PZ800U from 2008 and the menu options on the GT30 are significantly improved.

I'm glad to hear you're not seeing the fluctuating blacks so far, but could you please report back after viewing some darker movie content? These problems related to that are not going to be constantly noticeable. Only during scenes where there there is a lot of darkness along with some brighter objects does it occur.

I'd love to believe there are some GT30's out there that don't have this problem, but because it's almost certainly a flaw in the software of the TV, it's unlikely.

post #634 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by frocco View Post

Can someone tell me that has had both the ST30 and GT30 if it is worth the extra cost to get the GT30?

I just purchased the ST30 from Best Buy

I don't know how many people have had both displays, but I will tell you that several well respected people in the industry have said that the GT30 offers minimal improvement over the ST30. Even D-Nice listed the things that each display did better (buried deep in a thread somewhere on the "other" forum) and it was basically a wash with each model being better at certain things.

The main reason to upgrade to the GT30 for me would be aesthetics, as it looks better than the ST for sure. It also has a slightly better black level. That's basically all you're getting for the extra $$, as the GT30's THX mode is currently flawed and results in poor gamma. The GT30 also seems to be more prone to the floating black issue than the ST30. In the end, both models calibrate very, very close to each other (I've seen a professionally calibrated GT and ST side by side BTW).

My retailer (who is extremely well respected in the industry) even suggested that the ST30 was the better bang for the buck considering it was $300-400 cheaper in the 60" size with nearly the same PQ once calibrated.

I say stick with your ST30, but you certainly can't go wrong either way.
post #635 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

I don't know how many people have had both displays, but I will tell you that several well respected people in the industry have said that the GT30 offers minimal improvement over the ST30. Even D-Nice listed the things that each display did better (buried deep in a thread somewhere on the "other" forum) and it was basically a wash with each model being better at certain things.

The main reason to upgrade to the GT30 for me would be aesthetics, as it looks better than the ST for sure. It also has a slightly better black level. That's basically all you're getting for the extra $$, as the GT30's THX mode is currently flawed and results in poor gamma. The GT30 also seems to be more prone to the floating black issue than the ST30. In the end, both models calibrate very, very close to each other (I've seen a professionally calibrated GT and ST side by side BTW).

My retailer (who is extremely well respected in the industry) even suggested that the ST30 was the better bang for the buck considering it was $300-400 cheaper in the 60" size with nearly the same PQ once calibrated.

I say stick with your ST30.

So you're not happy with your GT30? How often haven you noticed the floating blacks?

post #636 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you're not happy with your GT30? How often haven you noticed the floating blacks?

I don't have a GT30. I just ordered an ST30 in 60" the other day to replace my 59" D7000 which buzzes way too much for my liking (also confirmed in a very quiet showroom that the Samsung is most definitely louder than the Panasonics).
post #637 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

I don't have a GT30. I just ordered an ST30 in 60" the other day to replace my 59" D7000 which buzzes way too much for my liking (also confirmed in a very quiet showroom that the Samsung is most definitely louder than the Panasonics).

i just pretty much did the same thing although i replaced my 64D7000 with a 65GT30 only because the gt30 was $70 cheaper than the st30 on amazon
post #638 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Voz

Quote:

Fortunately Floating Blacks is a thing of the past. It used to drive me nuts on my G20, but it's not there on the 2011 sets (ironically it seems like the Samsungs have Floating Blacks this year instead). But now we have the "Fluctuating Brightness" issue, which unlike Floating Blacks is just as visible in brighter scenes.
post #639 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post

Fortunately Floating Blacks is a thing of the past. It used to drive me nuts on my G20, but it's not there on the 2011 sets (ironically it seems like the Samsungs have Floating Blacks this year instead). But now we have the "Fluctuating Brightness" issue, which unlike Floating Blacks is just as visible in brighter scenes.

Could you explain the difference between the floating blacks and fluctuating brightness? Because they sure as hell look similar in YouTube videos.

post #640 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Voz

Quote:

Could you explain the difference between the floating blacks and fluctuating brightness? Because they sure as hell look similar in YouTube videos.

With Floating Blacks the MLL would change depending on the content of the screen. It was especially visible on movies with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, where the top and bottom black bars would change in black level. Below is a YouTube video trying to illustrate that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrq95gvFaP4

With "Fluctuating Brightness" the MLL is steady (no changes in the black bars for example), but the brightness/gamma changes. As in the famous Hereafter YouTube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJPI8-yPUyk

I hope that was clear (English isn't my first language).
post #641 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM

How much more power will the 65"GT30 use vs a Samsung 65" LED LCD(this years model 800 or 900 series)

I just saw Cnet video saying the 65" GT30 uses significantly more power than LCD
post #642 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 PM

knowing how thin the GT30 series tv is and the fact that the HDMI inputs are on the side of the tv, which place would you recommend HDMI cables from (for 3D from cable), (3D from Xbox 360), and (3D from PS3 for Blu-rays) either
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...prodHDMIE.html

or
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ and which model of cable for 3D?
post #643 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

How much more power will the 65"GT30 use vs a Samsung 65" LED LCD(this years model 800 or 900 series)

I just saw Cnet video saying the 65" GT30 uses significantly more power than LCD

CNET is correct. Plasmas use about 2x as much energy as LED backlit displays, but are roughly on par with LCD backlit displays these days.

In the 64-65" size, you're probably looking at somewhere around an average draw of 250w on the plasma vs. 125w on the LED.

Assuming 6 hours/day of usage and a $0.15/kwh electric rate, you're looking at a cost difference of $3-4/month for the plasma vs. LED not counting any increased cooling costs in the summer months (more wattage = more heat).

There are some decent charts on the Energy Star website with tested wattage, annual estimated cost, etc for the 2011 models.
post #644 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot

I'm glad to hear you're not seeing the fluctuating blacks so far, but could you please report back after viewing some darker movie content?
There are no fluctuating (floating) blacks on this current generation. Are you referring to fluctuating (floating) brightness (whites)?

Edit / this was just addressed.
post #645 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Does the GT30 series have wi-fi built into the tv? Is a wireless dongle required or is it built in now?
post #646 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Does the GT30 series have wi-fi built into the tv? Is a wireless dongle required or is it built in now?
wireless dongle comes with it
post #647 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 PM

which cables should I get from the two links in my post above?
post #648 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
which cables should I get from the two links in my post above?

I wouldnt let the weird position of the hdmi dictate your cable choice. I just picked up 2 90deg HDMI connectors to route the cable back toward the center of the tv. There's a left-hand and right-hand version of these things, as the hdmi conn is keyed. I believe i used two of the right-hand versions...
LL
post #649 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Tigerriot:

Don't take this the wrong way. Why don't you just purchase a GT30 from a reputable retailer with a no questions asked 30 day return policy and see if you like it? Only you can determine if you can live with the panels flaws, and they all have flaws. No set is perfect.

Every person's eyes are different. I might not see the FBr issues people are reporting, but it could be driving my neighbor with the same set crazy. I own both a G25 and a VT25, two models with the well documented floating blacks issue and i have only seen it happen once in the Dark Knight on the G25. I admit, i don't go looking for them either so floating blacks are no big deal to me at all. I love both sets completely. I have owned a lot of TV's over the years and one thing i have learned is if you look for flaws, you will find them. It won't matter who makes the set.

Just buy one, if you don't like it return it. If later a firmware update comes out that addresses the issues, then re-buy the set and enjoy it.

My 2 cents.

Take Care.

Mike
post #650 of 4163 Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
knowing how thin the GT30 series tv is and the fact that the HDMI inputs are on the side of the tv, which place would you recommend HDMI cables from (for 3D from cable), (3D from Xbox 360), and (3D from PS3 for Blu-rays) either
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...prodHDMIE.html

or
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ and which model of cable for 3D?
I would buy from the following. If your run lengths are normal and you have no way to use an AVR for switching, go with 28 AWG cables. The best solution would be one HDMI cable to your TV.

Blue Jeans Cable:

BJC Series-F2 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable: (F2 indicates High Speed)

On sale--prices reduced about 10% from original
28 AWG High-Flex version of our Bonded Pair design; our favorite for runs up to 25 feet.

Tartan Cable 28 AWG HDMI Cable:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm

Monoprice Cable:

28AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10240#1024008

I buy the high speed cables from Monoprice and have had no trouble in four installations. Adapters that go Left, Right, Up and Down can help an installation, but they can increase the chance of error during handshaking and/or 3D high bandwidth viewing. I've used them on a 2D installation with good results.
post #651 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel View Post

Tigerriot:

Don't take this the wrong way. Why don't you just purchase a GT30 from a reputable retailer with a no questions asked 30 day return policy and see if you like it? Only you can determine if you can live with the panels flaws, and they all have flaws. No set is perfect.

Every person's eyes are different. I might not see the FBr issues people are reporting, but it could be driving my neighbor with the same set crazy. I own both a G25 and a VT25, two models with the well documented floating blacks issue and i have only seen it happen once in the Dark Knight on the G25. I admit, i don't go looking for them either so floating blacks are no big deal to me at all. I love both sets completely. I have owned a lot of TV's over the years and one thing i have learned is if you look for flaws, you will find them. It won't matter who makes the set.

Just buy one, if you don't like it return it. If later a firmware update comes out that addresses the issues, then re-buy the set and enjoy it.

My 2 cents.

Take Care.

Mike

The problem is that I've already been through the return game so much at this point that I'm very hesitant to take home another. It's not like buying a pair of shoes and returning them later, if you know what I mean.

post #652 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post

I wouldnt let the weird position of the hdmi dictate your cable choice. I just picked up 2 90deg HDMI connectors to route the cable back toward the center of the tv. There's a left-hand and right-hand version of these things, as the hdmi conn is keyed. I believe i used two of the right-hand versions...

This type of helpful post is why I love this forum.
Thanks HighVoltage.
post #653 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:

The problem is that I've already been through the return game so much at this point that I'm very hesitant to take home another. It's not like buying a pair of shoes and returning them later, if you know what I mean.

I hear ya. So far ive went through a LG 60pz950, Samsung 59D8000, Samsung 64D7000 and now hopefully the one i keep a Panasonic 65GT30. This has to be the one. Reasons why ive done this:

LGPZ950 - To much input lag while gaming
59D8000 - Went from a 65" rear projection and thought i could go smaller
64D7000 - No Motion Judder Canceller and buzzes pretty loud now, also peeling
post #654 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesed View Post

This type of helpful post is why I love this forum.
Thanks HighVoltage.

The adapters you want are the Monoprice #3850 (270 degree right-angle) and snap two of them together to accomplish the U-turn. I've been using them on my G10's side input without issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post20285443

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #655 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

I hear ya. So far ive went through a LG 60pz950, Samsung 59D8000, Samsung 64D7000 and now hopefully the one i keep a Panasonic 65GT30. This has to be the one. Reasons why ive done this:

This post completely proves my above points. There is no perfect panel regardless of manufacturer. I still don't think it would be a major deal to purchase a 42 inch GT30, transport it home upright in the back seat of a car or van. Hook it up and run it through whatever tests you like. If you find it acceptable for your needs, keep it or carefully pack it up within the 30 days and exchange it for a 60 inch or whatever size you require. If its unacceptable, get your money back and buy a riding lawnmower.

While getting opinions here is incredibly resourceful, only the buyer will be able to determine if the set is right for them. If people are waiting around for a perfect, flawless TV they will be waiting forever and will never be happy.

Seems simple to me.

Take Care.

Mike
post #656 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

Peeling, really?
That is hilarious, you have to post a picture

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #657 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Peeling, really?
That is hilarious, you have to post a picture

- Rich

Yah theres a whole thread about it for the Samsungs, alot of people are having this issue. Seems like the Anti Glare plastic coating is starting to peel off at the corner.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353
post #658 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Random question, I didn't see it anywhere else... can the YouTube app display in HD or only SD?
post #659 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 10:28 AM

After I get the GT30 home exactly what settings do I want to change?

1.Do you have to enable 3:2 pull down and if so how
2.Turn C.A.T.S off
3.Anything else?
post #660 of 4163 Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I'm currently using two Monoprice #3850 right angle adapters snapped together on my G10's side input to redirect the cable 180 degrees so it's flat behind the TV - this method should work the same on a GT30:

And this 360 degree swivel adapter looks like it would enable you to redirect the cables upward at an angle so they don't interfere with one another while keeping them away from the edge and out of sight:

Will I have a problem w/3D if I use those adapters? What Hdmi cable for 3D & HDmi 1.3 would you recommend from Monoprice (So I can have 1 order) need length around 5 feet for 3 HDmi 1.3 cables capable of 3D and deep color.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page