Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't see why not; but, as always, the only way to be sure, is to get a copy of the extended warranty agreement, before buying it. Never take anyone's word on what a warranty covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Amazon has a 30 day return period, it is right there on the page for the product. I just ordered a 55" gt model, it'll be delivered friday. Don't know about wall mounts though I'm interested in that as well.
Do you know what company you ordered from. I always get nervous when ordering online. I am concerned about the "gray market items".

Quote:
Lets get a damn deal done. I say lets give that billion they are concerned about back to the fans through lower ticket, parking and food costs at the games. I love the NFL.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsIslTiger View Post
Do you know what company you ordered from. I always get nervous when ordering online. I am concerned about the "gray market items".
I ordered it from amazon, not through their marketplace. I try to avoid their marketplace unless it is fulfilled via amazon as well (which means it ships out of the amazon warehouses). But this purchase was with amazon.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM

My 65 GT30 was delivered yesterday. Great looking tv. Initially yesterday I heard some buzzing when I listened behind the panel. Today I hear a very slight buzz behind the panel when the screen is showing mostly white, but nothing in front of the tv even with my head next to the panel. I have been running in the zoom mode so no logos or black bars on the screen and the settings are Custom with the brightness and contrast at about 45. I don't see any fluctuating brightness. Last night I watched a 1.85 movie that filled the screen and it looked super. So far I'm very happy.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpi View Post

So far I'm very happy.

If there are those who claim that you are both deaf and blind, ignore them.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsIslTiger View Post

Nobody sells "gray market plasmas" in North America.

Whomever you buy from, check their return policy and DOA policy before buying. Amazon is the only online company i'd buy a Plasma from.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 06-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel View Post

Randy: Thanks for clarifying which angle adapter works for the side input of the GT30. I wasn't sure as i dont own that model.

Audio5oh: The connection into the HDMI port on my tv is tight. There is no wiggle to it at all. The other end where the cable connects to is just as good. Its a good product, i would buy it again and recommend it to anyone. Cant beat the price either.

Thanks Randy for re-posting the photo of that adapter. I didn't realize you posted this earlier in the thread.

Tunnel,
Glad to hear there is no wiggle.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Since this is my first plasma tv, I have a question about cleaning the screen. I have something I bought called Phillips Screen cleaning gel for plasma and LCD tvs. It comes with a very soft cloth. The ingredients are "water, Anionic tensid, and sodium laurel sulfat". I assume that is fine for cleaning the screen, but what do you guys think. What do you use? On my previous Mitsubishi CRT rear projector I just used non ammonia window cleaner. Thanks, Don.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Since this is my first plasma tv, I have a question about cleaning the screen. I have something I bought called Phillips Screen cleaning gel for plasma and LCD tvs. It comes with a very soft cloth. The ingredients are "water, Anionic tensid, and sodium laurel sulfat". I assume that is fine for cleaning the screen, but what do you guys think. What do you use? On my previous Mitsubishi CRT rear projector I just used non ammonia window cleaner. Thanks, Don.

I use a lens grade Microfiber cloths. I buy them here:

http://www.photodon.com/c/360-brushe...er-cloths.html

If gentle wiping doesn't work, I use just enough distiled water to make the cloth slightly damp.

If there is a coating is on the outside surface of your screen then you need to be very careful. If that's the case, any chemical or scrubbing might damage it.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

do those right angle hdmi adapters fit snugly into the input?

Yes. They snap in tightly - they are solid and they do not wiggle at all. I'm using them on all three of my Plasmas, and i have used them on several other Plasmas that i've wall mounted for friends/family/customers etc and they have caused zero issues (i surely would have heard back from them). I even use one on the HDMI output on the rear of my Onkyo surround sound receiver to re-direct the cable straight downward. I keep about a dozen of them (in various orientations) in my traveling flat panel TV installation tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Ok, so i need the 270 degree adapter. Do these adapters ever get weakened to the point that they separate from the rear of the tv due to the weight of the HDMI cable?

All eight of mine are as solid today as they were four years ago. They have no play whatsoever.

I actually think the weight of an HDMI cable coupled with sharply bending the cable and using cable ties to keep the cables bent and hidden behind the TV would introduce more stress on the TV's HDMI ports than just using a pair of 270* adapters (Monoprice #3850) on each input.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Im so excited, my panny 65gt30 is coming tomorrow to replace the 64d7000
Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:

My 65 GT30 was delivered yesterday. Great looking tv. Initially yesterday I heard some buzzing when I listened behind the panel. Today I hear a very slight buzz behind the panel when the screen is showing mostly white, but nothing in front of the tv even with my head next to the panel. I have been running in the zoom mode so no logos or black bars on the screen and the settings are Custom with the brightness and contrast at about 45. I don't see any fluctuating brightness. Last night I watched a 1.85 movie that filled the screen and it looked super. So far I'm very happy.

Hey scarpi, I've got a GT30 65" as well; however my panel buzzes like a neon sign, more so on white screens. But has a particularly annoying intermittent buzz on black screens. If you wouldn't mind me asking, how old are you? At a certain age, if you don't know this already, the ability to hear certain frequencies fades. I'm curious whether you fall into the category that isn't affected by buzzing issues as much.
I'm getting an exchange for my hopefully "faulty" panel which should be here in a week or so.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM

OK, I'm an old guy. I'm 64 and my ears do ring. But when I first got the tv it did buzz in the back. But now I've listened close to the front of the tv and no buzz. With my head near the back of the tv, I sometimes hear a faint buzz that gets a little louder as the screen goes to white. I would think that the frequency of the buzz is not that high and probably would still be hearable to older men. Maybe I should invite some young women over to listen to my tv. I don't think they would be interested. From what I've read on this forum all plasmas buzz and it then seems that some buzzing is "normal" to the technology. I am aware of the issue and I constantly listen close to the tv for any loud buzzing. If I heard that, I would return it. I have a 45 day return policy. I do have another question though. I previously had a Mitsubishi 65 inch RPTV. It seems that the picture height of 2.35 format movies look not as large on my new 65GT 30 than they did on my old tv. Is it me or are my eyes failing also?? Thanks, Don
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Today I turned on the tv to continue breaking it in and again listening behind the tv I hear a slight buzz on scenes where it is mostly white and when a dark screen is displayed no buzz. In front of the tv no buzz on any colors. I discovered something else that some of you might be interested in. I have my tv connected to a Panamax Max 5510 power conditioner and the front of the conditioner has a voltage meter to measure the incoming line voltage (usually about 120 or so) and an ammeter to measure the current draw of the connected gear. With only the tv on and nothing else, this tv seems to draw about one amp on dark scenes and about 4 amps on bright scenes. Thought some of you might find that interesting. Take care and enjoy your tvs.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yes. They snap in tightly - they are solid and they do not wiggle at all. I'm using them on all three of my Plasmas, and i have used them on several other Plasmas that i've wall mounted for friends/family/customers etc and they have caused zero issues (i surely would have heard back from them). I even use one on the HDMI output on the rear of my Onkyo surround sound receiver to re-direct the cable straight downward. I keep about a dozen of them (in various orientations) in my traveling flat panel TV installation tub

All eight of mine are as solid today as they were four years ago. They have no play whatsoever.

I actually think the weight of an HDMI cable coupled with sharply bending the cable and using cable ties to keep the cables bent and hidden behind the TV would introduce more stress on the TV's HDMI ports than just using a pair of 270* adapters on each input.

The image above looks like 2 adapters connected to each other. One hdmi plugged into an adapter, then the adapter plugged into yet another adapter that's plugged into the tv. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 appears to only have one connection. Is that the same product in the link I posted? Which of the 3 products in the link is the one in the picture, and is there anyway to do it w/out plugging and adapter into another adapter then to the tv?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I do have another question though. I previously had a Mitsubishi 65 inch RPTV. It seems that the picture height of 2.35 format movies look not as large on my new 65GT 30 than they did on my old tv. Is it me or are my eyes failing also?? Thanks, Don

I have old ears, old eyes, and an old brain. If I remember correctly, the Mitsubishi RPTV sets have a rather large over-scan some where around 5%. Since the black bars are in the image, over-scan would have the effect of zooming the movie content about 5%. Your plasma, in dot by dot mode has zero over-scan. That's my theory, and I'll try to stick with it.

The buzzing that people hear from plasmas isn't in the highest frequency range that is the first to go. By the way, if you get your plasma calibrated by a good professional, the young ladies will flock to your door. At least that's my experience.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks htwaits, yeah it's nice to know that not all forum members are youngsters and there are a few of us old guys around. And I think your theory on the image size makes sense and that's probably what I am seeing. I remember when I bought that Mitsubishi tv 10 years ago. It was considered one of the best. It is a 65 inch Diamond series HDTV. We recently got it serviced and the picture on it looks amazing. We are giving it to a family member who is struggling economically due to the economy and needs a new tv. They have plenty of room, but the darn thing weighs 375 pounds and they have to hire movers to get it to their house. And yes at my age, I don't have the muscles to move it any more!
Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

Im so excited, my panny 65gt30 is coming tomorrow to replace the 64d7000

Mind telling me why?

I have a 3rd D7000 with no peeling but im considering swapping it for a GT30 just for future peace of mind.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

Mind telling me why?

I have a 3rd D7000 with no peeling but im considering swapping it for a GT30 just for future peace of mind.

I had peeling starting on my D7000 and after reading others having the issues such as yourself, I decided to give Panasonic a try. I gave Samsung and LG a chance now its pannys turn, but . . . . .

My 65GT30 was supposed to be delivered today from amazon, because this was the date i picked when buying the tv, well for some reason it was hung up in pheonix and now im sitting here with a little 32" apex tv. Man You dont know what you got til its gone! At least amazon was nice enough to give me what i would have paid for shipping if there wasnt free shipping which was $70 and also they gave me $30 gift card to use on amazon. I guess $100 will keep me happy considering I had to burn a vacation day at work to be home for delivery. Oh well a vacation day is always better on a friday.

Amazon even said they would pay for after hours delivery because i work til 4:30 and they stop delivering by 4. So the wait is on.

I tried to get a free avatar 3d starter kit out of the deal, but that wasnt happening
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

I had peeling starting on my D7000 and after reading others having the issues such as yourself, I decided to give Panasonic a try. I gave Samsung and LG a chance now its pannys turn, but . . . . .

My 65GT30 was supposed to be delivered today from amazon, because this was the date i picked when buying the tv, well for some reason it was hung up in pheonix and now im sitting here with a little 32" apex tv. Man You dont know what you got til its gone! At least amazon was nice enough to give me what i would have paid for shipping if there wasnt free shipping which was $70 and also they gave me $30 gift card to use on amazon. I guess $100 will keep me happy considering I had to burn a vacation day at work to be home for delivery. Oh well a vacation day is always better on a friday.

Amazon even said they would pay for after hours delivery because i work til 4:30 and they stop delivering by 4. So the wait is on.

I tried to get a free avatar 3d starter kit out of the deal, but that wasnt happening

gotcha...if in the next 29 days even the tiniest bit of peeling starts its going back and im going to panny
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Hello all. I'm currently deciding between the 60GT and 60ST. The prices are fairly close. I currently have 50PZ800U that I got about 4 years ago. A great display and I have really liked the THX mode on it. My question is has anybody experienced the fluctuating blacks and grey scale I've read about in reviews of the GT. Since I'm leaning towards it because of the THX mode. I think I would see better black levels on either model since the technology has advanced since I purchased my PZ800U. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:

OK, I'm an old guy. I'm 64 and my ears do ring. But when I first got the tv it did buzz in the back. But now I've listened close to the front of the tv and no buzz. With my head near the back of the tv, I sometimes hear a faint buzz that gets a little louder as the screen goes to white. I would think that the frequency of the buzz is not that high and probably would still be hearable to older men. Maybe I should invite some young women over to listen to my tv. I don't think they would be interested. From what I've read on this forum all plasmas buzz and it then seems that some buzzing is "normal" to the technology. I am aware of the issue and I constantly listen close to the tv for any loud buzzing. If I heard that, I would return it. I have a 45 day return policy. I do have another question though. I previously had a Mitsubishi 65 inch RPTV. It seems that the picture height of 2.35 format movies look not as large on my new 65GT 30 than they did on my old tv. Is it me or are my eyes failing also?? Thanks, Don

Yeah, darn my acute hearing...I hope the new set is at least a little quieter.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:04 AM

I've had the 60GT for about 1 week and I have not noticed the fluctuating blacks. What I have noticed is how awesome this set is. I'm sure this isn't the best plasma on the market but it suits me just fine.

"I like to watch T.V." - Chauncey Gardner (Being There)
Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

Yeah, darn my acute hearing...I hope the new set is at least a little quieter.

Well I think you got a defective tv. Again today I can stand right in front of my tv and not hear any buzzing. And I'm the type of person that would return it immediatly if I heard an annoying buzz. I'm particular about my audio. I mostly use my system for two channel music and enjoy high quality audio gear and music as part of the hobby. So I hope your new tv is as good as my is.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Well I think you got a defective tv. Again today I can stand right in front of my tv and not hear any buzzing. And I'm the type of person that would return it immediatly if I heard an annoying buzz. I'm particular about my audio. I mostly use my system for two channel music and enjoy high quality audio gear and music as part of the hobby. So I hope your new tv is as good as my is.

Thanks for the encouragement. But my dad, who's 60, can BARELY hear it and he's an audiophile too, as am I. Only difference is I'm 16. While I still believe the set might have been defective, buzzing is just something that is inherent to the plasma technology and I'll just have to deal with it. I still have hope the new set will be a little quieter though.

If you want to test your hearing to around 14-15 Khz, here's the link: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/...-hearing-test/
My dad wasn't able to hear past around 12-13khz, if I remember correctly. He's got a little tendinitis which limits him from hearing the really high frequencies.
NOTE: If you can't hear the 17Khz tune, it's probably because your speaker can't replicate them.

Amazon has shipped the new set, will arrive this coming Friday. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:43 PM

YES!!! Thank you CEVA, I received my 65GT30 today its beautiful. Well packed and put together. Im amazed at how sturdy this stand is, and the metal brackets that came with it to mount the tv to the stand are made of high quality. Also all the extra cables are cool too even though i probably wont use any of them. Very nice picture out of the box, I can say that my previous 64D7000 samsung had brighter colors out of the box, but other than that i feel everything else is better on the panny. Right now I have it set at Standard and Im really digging the Motion Smoother set to strong. Unless this set doesnt turn on within the month, IM keeping this tv.

Anyone have any recommending settings for right out of the box?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Im already in love. Watched the Bourne Ultimatum tonight and i couldnt tell what i liked better when using the 24p direct to 48hz or the 60hz. I know i really liked it when i set the motion smoother to Strong, but can anyone explain the difference between the 48hz and the 60 hz, and also the VT's 96hz???

When i had the Samsung 64d7000 with cinema smooth on, what hz would that have been compareable to on my GT30?

This is a really great set by the way, I take back what i said about samsungs colors being superior to this panel. Im really enjoying this set
Old 06-05-2011, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Im already in love. Watched the Bourne Ultimatum tonight and i couldnt tell what i liked better when using the 24p direct to 48hz or the 60hz. I know i really liked it when i set the motion smoother to Strong, but can anyone explain the difference between the 48hz and the 60 hz, and also the VT's 96hz???

When i had the Samsung 64d7000 with cinema smooth on, what hz would that have been compareable to on my GT30?

This is a really great set by the way, I take back what i said about samsungs colors being superior to this panel. Im really enjoying this set

Using 24p with 48hz you are doubling it's frames as in 11223344 and so on. At 96 you are quadrupling it's frames as in 1111222233334444.
When watching 60hz it's using 3:2 pulldown as in 111223334455566.
When watching without 3:2 pulldown it looks smoother to me because the pattern is progressive, with 3:2 it looks like it stops every other frame for just an instant which produces a judder effect making it a bit jerky. Some tv's can smooth this out with processing like cinema smooth, still 60hz though. Someone else chime in if I'm wrong on any of this.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

The image above looks like 2 adapters connected to each other. One hdmi plugged into an adapter, then the adapter plugged into yet another adapter that's plugged into the tv. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 appears to only have one connection. Is that the same product in the link I posted? Which of the 3 products in the link is the one in the picture, and is there anyway to do it w/out plugging and adapter into another adapter then to the tv?

Yes it's the same product you linked. My picture shows two of those #3850 adapters snapped together to accomplish the 180 degree U-turn. Since they only make 90 degree adapters, i had no choice but to snap to of them together but it's not a big deal as it works flawlessly.

Randy
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yes it's the same product you linked. My picture shows two of those #3850 adapters snapped together to accomplish the 180 degree U-turn. Since they only make 90 degree adapters, i had no choice but to snap to of them together but it's not a big deal as it works flawlessly.

What prevented you from using one adapter? I'm wondering if I'll need two as well now.