Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, wanted to get your input on this. First power up of the GT30 last night and there appeared to be what looked like a service menu on the screen. Once i hit exit on the remote some red text was on the screen and would move around the right hand side of the screen, it had some type of fluctuating numbers. I had to reset to default 2 times to keep this from happening. Any idea what it was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 AM

What is the width and depth of the stand on the 65"GT30?
post #903 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

One more question guys. I've been playing some hi def movies over DLNA connection and I noticed that they are getting stretched out vertically. The original content on my computer has black bars on top and bottom but when watching on TV, there are no black bars and the content fills the screen.

The only options for changing the aspect are standard, size1 and size2. The first just shrinks the size of the movie image and centers it but it's still stretched. The other two just fill the screen. Has anyone seen this? Is there an option somewhere to prevent the TV from the resizing the image?
post #904 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post

htwaits: The update is done by burning a file from the Panasonic web site to a CD, then putting the disk into the player and it will auto-update the firmware (the player will not be networked, standalone player setup)?

That's correct. The OPPO, for instance, also allows you to download a firmware file that can be copied to a USB thumb drive. Thats a lot easier. Panasonic does give clear instructions for burning a CD.

Quote:

I'll ask about the Panasonic 110, sounds like a good deal on a nice player. Does it output 1080/24p perfectly? I'd like to get an Oppo BR player, but for now there are other priorities.

The 110, like all BR players, will do a good job with BR because there isn't any required processing. The OPPO is going to do a better job up converting SD DVD sources, but the 110 will be OK for the money. The 110 will be identical to the 210 and the 310 for both BR and SD DVD.

Enjoy.
post #905 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

How much does Amazon charge for shipping (when they are the seller)on the 65" GT30?

Probably nothing. Why don't you check at Amazon?
post #906 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

Your right it's free. Last time I looked they had none in stock.
post #907 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Liked: 11
GT30 Firmware posted - named GT Peaks, v2.06. Updating will not change your settings.

ken
post #908 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Once the delivery guys bring the tv in your house do they unbox it for you to test it? Do they attach the stand to the tv for you once they unbox it or how do they test it for you?
post #909 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Once the delivery guys bring the tv in your house do they unbox it for you to test it? Do they attach the stand to the tv for you once they unbox it or how do they test it for you?

I think you might be addicted to asking questions. This one seems familiar to me.

What happens when a display is delivered depends on who you buy it from. For those merchants that test it for you, they will bring it into your house, unpack it, attach the stand, and turn it on. During that time, you want to examine the glass very carefully looking for cracks -- even very small ones. Use a flash light shining from the edge of the screen to go over ever inch of the display. Refuse to accept delivery if the set doesn't power up, produce an image, or you spot one or more cracks.

If the delivery people tell you that they can't do this, but the merchant said they would, be sure to refuse delivery.
post #910 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post

Road2Show: Thanks for all the info. So I see you really like your GT30 plasma tv. It's nice that you got one that doesn't seem to have the fluctuating brightness problem, as it's been said to generally be more pronounced on the GT30's.

Apparently the issue with the gamma on the GT30's is that even when set for 2.2 gamma, the tv delivers an actual value that is off by quite a bit, making the picture too light (unless the set is ISF calibrated by a pro). Have you noticed any washed out colors or that are too bright when watching movies with dark scenes?

What size model GT30 did you get? What about the aesthetics are much better on the GT30?

I'll ask about the Panasonic 110, sounds like a good deal on a nice player. Does it output 1080/24p perfectly? I'd like to get an Oppo BR player, but for now there are other priorities.

Do the GT30 and ST30 tv's have side mounted speakers, or speakers mounted under the screen of the tv?

I noticed on the Panasonic site that the 50 inch GT30 is one inch less wide ( 46.4 inches) than the 50 inch ST30 ( 47.4 inches ). Is that because the ST30 has a thicker bezel on the sides than the GT30, or because the ST30 has side mounted speakers and the GT30 has speakers mounted under the screen? If it is a thicker bezel on the ST30, is it thicker because it uses a different type of glass panel than the GT30 has?

Thanks very much for any info. All opinions and comments from anyone are quite welcome and are really helpful in making this decision. I'm excited about getting my first ever HDTV!

Yes, I do like the TV. Let me also say that this was my first Plasma and it replaced an 8 y/o Hitachi 50v500 LCD rear-projection. It was good in its time but this just (of course) blows it away. I will also qualify my comments as one coming from a consumer, not a videophile. I know what I like but I do not understand all of the settings and the impacts of each.

It is interesting what you say about the gamma setting. I just assumed it was/is 2.2 because; well, because that's what it says.  I have noticed colors that are too bright at times with dark scenes. I've also found that as I've had it I have been slowly but surely turning down brightness and contrast. I am SO glad we didn't decide to get the LED. I will look for more of this effect now that you mention it .I can't say I've really noticed light or washed out colors.

I got the 55. As far as the looks of the unit, I much prefer the smaller bezel. Hard to describe something that is very subjective, but it just looked cleaner, more professional. The ST bezel seemed a bit bulky in comparison. I think my wife noticed this more than I at first because we were also looking at LED units which had almost nothing in regard to a bezel.

The speaker is located at the bottom of the screen (I think) Certainly not audiophile quality, but acceptable in a quiet room for casual viewing/listening. I don't think there are any speakers on the side. My previous Hitachi had very good sound from the TV and this one sucks in comparison, but like I said it will work.

The ST is wider because of the bezel. Nothing else as far as I am aware.
I can't say one way or another if the 110 plays 24p perfectly. I've not used it much yet and this is my first BRD besides the one on my PC. I certainly couldn't beat the price and for what I have done so far it works just fine.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.
post #911 of 4163 Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Road2Show: Thanks for the updated info. It's good that the speakers are underneath the screen, because that keeps the width of the tv to a minimum.

Hopefully they will release an updated firmware version that will correct the default gamma to an accurate 2.2, and get rid of any fluctuating brightness problems on all the tv's.
post #912 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I think you might be addicted to asking questions. This one seems familiar to me.

What happens when a display is delivered depends on who you buy it from. For those merchants that test it for you, they will bring it into your house, unpack it, attach the stand, and turn it on. During that time, you want to examine the glass very carefully looking for cracks -- even very small ones. Use a flash light shining from the edge of the screen to go over ever inch of the display. Refuse to accept delivery if the set doesn't power up, produce an image, or you spot one or more cracks.

If the delivery people tell you that they can't do this, but the merchant said they would, be sure to refuse delivery.

This is an expensive purchase and I want to be sure that ordering from Amazon w/Square Trade warranty is better than Best Buy& Black tie or HH Gregg & warranty. I also wanted to make sure that they would bring it in and not leave me w/that job. Also wanted to see if they would attach the stand,because I won't be able to do it w/out help and I want to make sure that was part of the delivery service. I am speaking of delivery w/Amazon specifically.
post #913 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Liked: 428
Quote:

This is an expensive purchase and I want to be sure that ordering from Amazon w/Square Trade warranty is better than Best Buy& Black tie or HH Gregg & warranty.

Best Buy charges too much for the TV and too much for their warranty, and also charges sales tax and charges for delivery. Amazon for the TV with free shipping and a Mack warranty from a forum sponsor would be a good combo.

Quote:

I also wanted to make sure that they would bring it in and not leave me w/that job. Also wanted to see if they would attach the stand,because I won't be able to do it w/out help and I want to make sure that was part of the delivery service. I am speaking of delivery w/Amazon specifically.

A few years ago Amazon's delivery service included attaching the stand and powering up the TV to make sure it powers up, but now that is no longer included in their delivery. Now their terms specifically state that the driver will unpack the TV and allow you inspect it for defects before he leaves, and that the customer is responsible for any assembly and/or installation. It's on their website.

There is always the chance that the driver would be willing to wait a few minutes while you quickly assemble the stand then help you lift the TV onto the table, especially if you offer a $20 tip. Have your cordless screwdriver ready.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #914 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Guys I could use some help in regards to settings.

Everyone says you cannot adjust THX? But for some reason it appears that I can adjust the settings of any mode, weather that is watching basic cable (over coax) or watching a movie from my HTPC via DVI to HDMI.

Maybe its when your watching a bluray you cannot adjust?

Thanks for any help.
post #915 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post

Everyone says you cannot adjust THX? But for some reason it appears that I can adjust the settings of any mode, weather that is watching basic cable (over coax) or watching a movie from my HTPC via DVI to HDMI. Maybe its when your watching a bluray you cannot adjust?

I don't know where you're seeing everyone saying you can't adjust THX, but as you've discovered this is not true. One thing that lots of people complain about with THX mode is that the Gamma is not good, and that Gamma is not adjustable in THX mode which is true. In Custom mode however, the Pro Settings menu becomes available and you can adjust Gamma in this menu.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #916 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't know where you're seeing everyone saying you can't adjust THX, but as you've discovered this is not true. One thing that lots of people complain about with THX mode is that the Gamma is not good, and that Gamma is not adjustable in THX mode which is true. In Custom mode however, the Pro Settings menu becomes available and you can adjust Gamma in this menu.

Thank you. I understand now. Do most people adjust THX right out of the box or leave it how it is? I noticed that the sharpness is up right away, and the brightness is up around 60.
post #917 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Best Buy charges too much for the TV and too much for their warranty, and also charges sales tax and charges for delivery. Amazon for the TV with free shipping and a Mack warranty from a forum sponsor would be a good combo.

A few years ago Amazon's delivery service included attaching the stand and powering up the TV to make sure it powers up, but now that is no longer included in their delivery. Now their terms specifically state that the driver will unpack the TV and allow you inspect it for defects before he leaves, and that the customer is responsible for any assembly and/or installation. It's on their website.

There is always the chance that the driver would be willing to wait a few minutes while you quickly assemble the stand then help you lift the TV onto the table, especially if you offer a $20 tip. Have your cordless screwdriver ready.

Thanks Randy, I contacted Square Trade via email and they gave me a code for 20% off a warranty purchase so I assume I'm better off buying the warranty directly from Squaretrade.com w/the 20%off code vs Amazon and no code.
post #918 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Thanks Randy, I contacted Square Trade via email and they gave me a code for 20% off a warranty purchase so I assume I'm better off buying the warranty directly from Squaretrade.....

I have seen a few posts where Square Trade required that the defective Plasma be shipped to their repair facility out of state so you better keep the box, and maybe take pictures of how the TV is packed in that box before you remove it.

Personally, if i were to buy an extended warranty for a Plasma it would only be from Mack. They've been around for like 70 years, and they use the same authorized repair centers that Panasonic uses. If the TV cannot be repaired in-home, the repairman takes it back to his shop to fix it.

What i do now is just buy my TVs with my platinum credit card which adds one year to the factory warranty for free.

Randy
post #919 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Where would you recommend I buy the Mack warranty from? Any links on the site to support you guys? Last question, if I bought the Mack warranty in Ohio and moved to AZ would I have any problems since I bought the warranty in a different state? Do I need to mail them the UPC label on the box or the purchase receipt?

Mack had some low ratings on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Mack-Year-3100...owViewpoints=1
post #920 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Where would you recommend I buy the Mack warranty from? Any links on the site to support you guys?

Click on the yellow CLEVELAND PLASMA icon at the top of this forum - Chris is a sponsor and has good prices and good service/support on Mack warranties.

Quote:

Last question, if I bought the Mack warranty in Ohio and moved to AZ would I have any problems since I bought the warranty in a different state? Do I need to mail them the UPC label on the box or the purchase receipt?

I don't know all these little details so it's best to ask Chris at CP or Mack directly (they have some representatives posting here at AVS). I'm sure that moving to another state won't affect your EW though, and i don't believe you have to mail them your UPC label or receipt - but you do have to show the repair man your original TV receipt and your EW registration card that they mail you after you purchase the EW.

I always cut the UPC labels out and stash them away before i dispose of the boxes.

Randy
post #921 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM

How long is the factory warranty on the GT30 tv's, and does that include in-home repair of the tv for the full length of the factory warranty?

As to the gamma issue, it seems an easy fix might be to use ken325i's settings below from the official GT30 setting thread. And if the gamma seems to not be delivering 2.2 and the image is too bright, then go for maybe 2.4 gamma, which may give near an actual 2.2 gamma output.

Custom

Contrast 75
Brightness 57
Color 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
Color Temp Warm 2
CATS off
Video NR off
Color space normal
high R -3
high G 6
high B 5
low R 3
low G -3
low B -5
Gamma 2.2
PB mid
contour off
AGC 0
Full Size 2
block NR off
Mosquito NR off
Motion Smoother off
Black Level Light
post #922 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Click on the yellow CLEVELAND PLASMA icon at the top of this forum - Chris is a sponsor and has good prices and good service/support on Mack warranties.

I don't know all these little details so it's best to ask Chris at CP or Mack directly (they have some representatives posting here at AVS). I'm sure that moving to another state won't affect your EW though, and i don't believe you have to mail them your UPC label or receipt - but you do have to show the repair man your original TV receipt and your EW registration card that they mail you after you purchase the EW.

I always cut the UPC labels out and stash them away before i dispose of the boxes.

Thanks for all your help Randy, not only this question,but others I've asked.
post #923 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM

ok, that's simple enough. Just print the email receipt from Amazon and keep it w/the receipt card they send to me after purchase of the warranty .
post #924 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

This is an expensive purchase and I want to be sure that ordering from Amazon w/Square Trade warranty is better than Best Buy& Black tie or HH Gregg & warranty. I also wanted to make sure that they would bring it in and not leave me w/that job. Also wanted to see if they would attach the stand,because I won't be able to do it w/out help and I want to make sure that was part of the delivery service. I am speaking of delivery w/Amazon specifically.

Regarding the set up of the set, I would say that this varies not only by region and delivery company, but by the actual people doing the delivery on that given day. In my experience with 3 plasma sets being delivered by Amazon (2 via Pilot freight and 1 via TruAir), the delivery men have always been willing to assemble the stand and place the set on my cabinet. With TruAir, I didn't even have to ask... they just proceeded to unbox the set and set it up.
post #925 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM

still pissed at all tv maker that don't have built-in wifi. wifi dongle are so ugly and stupid. it costs manufacture more money to go that route. wifi has been ubiquitous for years now. there is no excuse for this mess. SHAME ON YOU PANNY!
post #926 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Decided to go with the 50 inch GT30, but when I went to Best Buy today, they checked and there were none available, not even at the district warehouse (the big warehouse for the area, I guess). So they couldn't even order me one.

I was surprised, the GT's I think have been available for something like 3 months in the U.S. now and they don't have any available? They need to get on the ball and get those orders placed for their warehouse. The only good thing about it is that maybe I'll get one from the very latest imported batch when they do finally get a shipment in, maybe with a May production date and the latest firmware/manufacturing tweaks included (if that does any good). I'll check back with them next week and see what's going on.

They did have the Panasonic 110 DVD player there and ready to buy. So that was good news.

I asked about price on the tv and if there would be any room for dealing on that, and he said he could ask the manager, but he'd probably be told no. What do you guys think?
post #927 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 PM

Should I tip the delivery guys from Amazon(their delivery service) especially if they set it onto the stand for me, and if so what's a reasonable tip if they do assemble it on the stand for me?
post #928 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Should I tip the delivery guys from Amazon(their delivery service) especially if they set it onto the stand for me, and if so what's a reasonable tip if they do assemble it on the stand for me?

If they set it up for you, Hell yeah tip them. Probably about $20
post #929 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 07:53 PM

$20 each or $20 total?
post #930 of 4163 Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

$20 each or $20 total?

well i gave my driverS $20 total but they didnt set it up they just brought it up into my living room. So you make the call, $15 each?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page