Official Panasonic GT30 Series Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Right now I have a 54G20 TV and it has a good picture and I don't hear buzzing or experience any of the things I've read about Panasonic TV's here.

But, I'm wanting a larger TV. Of course it seems the 65VT30 would be great (haven't read up on "problems" yet), but then saw a 65ST30 for a good price on Costco's website. Also saw one at BB yesterday. Then they told me the 65GT30 was better than the ST30. OK ...

I'm confused about all the stuff I've been reading here. The VT30 is "very" expensive so my thinking was the GT30 maybe ...

1) Since I already have a G20 would the GT30 be about the same picture quality, or better than what I have, and,

2) if I go bigger (like 65") would the picture degrade on HD programming (and what about, God forbide, SD?)

3) and my last thought is about power consumption. Would the 65VT30 use more power than my 54G20? I ask because about 10 days ago I was "forced" into one of PG&E's Smartmeters and already my electric bill has jumped by $50. They told me it could double and triple.

Any thoughts on any of these three issues would help. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice805 View Post

Right now I have a 54G20 TV and it has a good picture and I don't hear buzzing or experience any of the things I've read about Panasonic TV's here.

But, I'm wanting a larger TV. Of course it seems the 65VT30 would be great (haven't read up on "problems" yet), but then saw a 65ST30 for a good price on Costco's website. Also saw one at BB yesterday. Then they told me the 65GT30 was better than the ST30. OK ...

I'm confused about all the stuff I've been reading here. The VT30 is "very" expensive so my thinking was the GT30 maybe ...

1) Since I already have a G20 would the GT30 be about the same picture quality, or better than what I have, and,

2) if I go bigger (like 65") would the picture degrade on HD programming (and what about, God forbide, SD?)

3) and my last thought is about power consumption. Would the 65VT30 use more power than my 54G20? I ask because about 10 days ago I was "forced" into one of PG&E's Smartmeters and already my electric bill has jumped by $50. They told me it could double and triple.

Any thoughts on any of these three issues would help. TIA.

The 65gt30 is bomb! If you can afford It, then just do it,and stop worrying about all the B.S.Amazon has it for a good price! A plasma hdtv like the panasonic 65gt30 is rated at an annual cost of 32$.That is per YEAR! And yes the 65gt30 has a better picture than your current panasonic,you will be surprised at how far panasonic plasma's have come, in the last few years.They are near perfect,not quite, but, pretty close.The overall picture quality is beyond excellent,on both sd and hd, panasonics are famous for there sd and hd picture quality,especially this year! Like I said, check out the price on AMAZON.COM. AND,YES,I OWN A 65GT30 AND THE PICTURE QUALITY IS PHENOMENAL!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Idk what to do I have enough now for a 65 GT30 plus 5 year Mack warranty,but I kind of want to wait to see if Panasonic either reinstates the Avatar bundle sometime between now and December,but I too want to also see if they are going to do a bundle w/the newer glasses that are rumored to be launching around the corner.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Well unless your old tv just died on you, wait a few months and see what Panasonic comes up with.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 AM

I guess that's what I'm going to do,but I'm really excited to get a new tv. I've had my Sony Grand Wega since late 04/early 05
Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

I'm jn the same boat as you. We've had our rear projection hitachi for 6 years now, however, we're removing the carpet and putting down wood flooring in a month. Once done, we'll be getting a new plasma. After being the first of our friends and family to go big screen, we're now the last to switch to flatscreens.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 PM

I also was on the fence on when to buy (was aiming for 4th quarter this year), but a lightning bolt had other plans and we split the cost with Allstate for a new GT30. Worked out for us...
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I gave up waiting for the Samsung peeling issue to be resolved, and purchased a 60GT30 at BB on Saturday. Got a pretty good deal I think with the $100 Panasonic DVD player promo (which also gets you the Avatar 3D), and 4% back in Reward Zone points. I also talked them into giving me an open box Yamaha receiver that is Blue-ray and 3D compatible for a really good deal.

The set was delivered today, and I am going to start on D-Nice's slides tonight so I can set it up this weekend. Can't wait to see the improvement over my current JVC D-ILA.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post

Idk what to do I have enough now for a 65 GT30 plus 5 year Mack warranty,but I kind of want to wait to see if Panasonic either reinstates the Avatar bundle sometime between now and December,but I too want to also see if they are going to do a bundle w/the newer glasses that are rumored to be launching around the corner.

I was thinking about doing that because I missed the promo too but wondered if they would ever re-instate the offer, particularly since they are about to release much cheaper third generation glasses. So I went ahead and purchased the tv on Amazon (30 day return policy, price match guarantee). Glad I did. Not long after I purchased it, the price for 65GT30 dropped to below 2200 on an Amazon retailer that they price match, so I called Amazon and got a credit for the difference. The lowest that they ever had the tv with the Avatar bundle was about 2600 right before the offer ended. So I ended up well ahead even without the bundle.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I saw a report in a Panasonic Insiders thread in 'the other' forum that shows a slight error in the Chroma Multiburst pattern on the Spears & Munsil disk when the Blu-Ray player was set to Auto or 4:4:4 Color Space. I reproduced it with a Sony player on my GT30. Setting the player to output 4:2:2 eliminated the error. I'm not sure that this would ever have been noticed on standard content.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Made another call to Panasonic regarding the FBr in my 60GT30 today. Last time I called I was told I'd be contacted in 5-7 days. Of course that didn't happen. Anyway, the individual I spoke with stated that engineering was still work on it and that "I wasn't the only one experiencing this". They went on to state that one of two things would happen, either they were going to issue a firmware update or they were going to issue a recall on any set where the viewer is experiencing this. Really?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexmaroo View Post

Made another call to Panasonic regarding the FBr in my 60GT30 today. Last time I called I was told I'd be contacted in 5-7 days. Of course that didn't happen. Anyway, the individual I spoke with stated that engineering was still work on it and that "I wasn't the only one experiencing this". They went on to state that one of two things would happen, either they were going to issue a firmware update or they were going to issue a recall on any set where the viewer is experiencing this. Really?

If they had an option for a recall on any tv that had this issue I'd be soo happy. It would put my mind at ease. Firmware would be fine as well if it actually addresses the issue.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLennerth View Post
If they had an option for a recall on any tv that had this issue I'd be soo happy. It would put my mind at ease. Firmware would be fine as well if it actually addresses the issue.
There will NEVER be a recall for something like this. This is not a safety issue, it will not cause your tv to explode taking your family and house with it. It is purely cosmetic that some people see and some don't.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
Old 07-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Like many of you, I too have seen the fluctuating brightness on my 50GT30, however, I've said before that it is very minimal, doesn't happen very often. Not enough for me to return the set. However, I have noticed that the colors on my GT30 appear to be off and not natural looking. I thought it was just my eyes, but I did a side by side comparison with my older Vizio from my bedroom and it was obvious that the Vizio's colors appeared more realistic. I posted this concern the "Official GT30 Settings" thread and Ken325i agreed with me that the color is a bit off. I'm hoping my set is not the only one with this issue. Ken mentioned that another forum is already having a discussion of a possible firmware to fix this issue. Does anyone know if and when this will be released?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlletto View Post

There will NEVER be a recall for something like this. This is not a safety issue, it will not cause your tv to explode taking your family and house with it. .

That is not at all accurate. Recalls occur for various reasons, with safety concerns being but one.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM

Absolutely this is not a safety issue. What I gathered from the conversation is that there are enough people complaining about this issue to warrant some sort of action. What that course of action may be, only time will tell. If it can't be addressed with some sort of firmware then they will have to choose another path.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

That is not at all accurate. Recalls occur for various reasons, with safety concerns being but one.

True. However, I will bet anyone dollars to donuts that Panasonic will not recall thousands of sets for FBR issues that are the subject of complaints by a small percentage of videophiles.

I suppose a firmware upgrade is a possibility (although some threads on the "other" forum suggest Panasonic has decided the problem is not even worth this), but I think a recall is pie-in-the-sky thinking. Just my $.02.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM

So I bought the 50GT30 6/28 (May build date), and the first unit had a vertical pixel line which I returned to Amazon for another 50GT30 (March build date).

Need some advice. Basically, I noticed that my second GT30 (did the 100+ with slides) has some slight FBR (less so on THX mode for Cable TV). I called Amazon and was able to extend the warranty till the end of August, and have scheduled Kevin Miller to calibrate the second TV beginning of August. Would you guys have it calibrated or get the new plasma, maybe I can try and get the 55.

This stuff is driving me insane.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Absolutely this is not a safety issue. What I gathered from the conversation is that there are enough people complaining about this issue to warrant some sort of action. What that course of action may be, only time will tell. If it can't be addressed with some sort of firmware then they will have to choose another path.
There is no way panasonic will recall the 10s (maybe 100s) of thousands of tvs for something like this. It isn't going to happen no matter how much wishful thinking people throw out there.

I think people are over estimating the amount of folks complaining. In the grand scheme of things it is an EXTREMELY small number of folks that own these 2011 panasonic tv's that are complaining. I have a march build 55GT30 and have looked at social network and dark night and do not see it. So either I'm blind or it doesn't exist on my tv. Either way I'm extremely happy with the tv. If people don't like the tv in its current state return it or don't buy it or sell it if you can't return it. Complaining over and over about it doesn't solve anything.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 AM

What does everyone's GT30 show up as on your network? On my list of connected devices I think it is one of the "unknown devices" that gets an IP address assigned to it, but I would like to be able to label it (since there are always a few other unknown devices such as my blackberry, and guest laptops on the network). Is it even possible to assign a label to the TV like you can to a networked computer or printer?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Where is the build date indicated?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
Where is the build date indicated?
My 50GT30 has a sticker on the back that says "March 2011", others have indicated the the serial number can be deciphered to give you your build date.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMK View Post

My 50GT30 has a sticker on the back that says "March 2011", others have indicated the the serial number can be deciphered to give you your build date.

Yeah, my build date was also on a sticker on the back. July 2011.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Hey guys! : D!

i just got my 55GT30 today!!! Sooo happy! I've been lurking around AVS for yearrrs, each year wanting to jump on the bigscreen hdtv bandwagon, but havnt 'til right now. i got a pretty decent deal on the 55gt30 so i pulled the trigger, finallyyy!

here's my initial impressions of the GT30 from a post from a similar thread!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20721167

dont judge me by my post count, it may be low but ive been avsing for almost a decade too. [=~
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask252 View Post

So I bought the 50GT30 6/28 (May build date), and the first unit had a vertical pixel line which I returned to Amazon for another 50GT30 (March build date).

Need some advice. Basically, I noticed that my second GT30 (did the 100+ with slides) has some slight FBR (less so on THX mode for Cable TV). I called Amazon and was able to extend the warranty till the end of August, and have scheduled Kevin Miller to calibrate the second TV beginning of August. Would you guys have it calibrated or get the new plasma, maybe I can try and get the 55.

This stuff is driving me insane.

The 60 and 65GT30, are both selling for an unbelievably low price,right now, as of (7-21-2011) on Amazon.com. Remember,if you can accommodate a larger screen size for your H.T. and your budget allows, BIGGER is BETTER!! you won't be sorry,if you go smaller, you might!! Check it out!!!! My 65GT30 (MFD-6-2011) has on rare occasions a minute, subtle amount of Fbr, nothing to write home about.

The picture quality overall,on my 65GT30, is, killer !!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Did you get their name/badge number? I always get info like that in case they were bull *hitting me. Then I can either call the agent back and say wtf or talk to a new agent and say I talked to so & so who's name and badge number is this and they told me one thing,but didn't come through, or talk to a supervisor. If you don't hear back soon, I'd call again and get the agents direct phone number or badge number and name. If they don't come through again after this second time call back and ask to speak w/a supervisor/manager and inform them of the persistent non-call back situation.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Actually, this was the second call I made on top of numerous e-mails. They very well could have been b.s.ing me, but both calls resulted in the same answers. Basically that engineering was currently looking into the matter. I'll give it another week then talk to a supervisor. I'm sure you can't rush things like this so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Jason MK: mine shows up as VIERA GT30. dont see a way to change it.

enjoy the toys!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceMoose View Post

Jason MK: mine shows up as VIERA GT30. dont see a way to change it.

Thanks for the response, odd that mine always shows up as "unknown". Is yours connected via wifi or wired?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM

so i just got my gt30 yesterday,

ive been running the 20 break-in slides since,

im wondering if theres a need, highly recommended, for me to connect the tv to the web now to search for any firmware updates?

or do i wait for when im done with the 100hour break in?
or do not do it at all?

dont judge me by my post count, it may be low but ive been avsing for almost a decade too. [=~