Very good post.. Thankyou!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else confirmed the flaw in their set as well?
post #33 of 54 Old 06-20-2012, 12:57 PM

nice thread wink.gif
will give it a try this weekend.Will have to take the back panel of and locate what is causing that noise in mine TV. Will post back once I find and fix it wink.gif
Cheers
cool.gif
post #34 of 54 Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all nice messages.

Small update to tell everybody that the fix still works perfect.

Now probably 700-800h of use and noise never came back. Silent 100% !
post #35 of 54 Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
What about just putting a drop of isocyanate glue on the crack. When it cures there should be no more vibration.

Tony
post #36 of 54 Old 06-22-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is an idea; however needs to check two things :
- That the glue will go inside by capillarityy
- That the glue can resist to high temperature (transformer can get really hot if there is sustained white color on screen)

... and very important : it must not touch in any circumstance the coil inside. By the way this is the reason of failure of transformer : bad application of the glue around the coil leading from a "bridge" at delivery of transformer, and rupture because the coil could not vibrate under load.

So not so easi.. ood luck
post #37 of 54 Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Still no noise at all...

hé hé hé...
post #38 of 54 Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Been meaning to try this on my TC-P50G25. Maybe something to do over the weekend.
post #39 of 54 Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Awesome fix thank you!smile.gifsmile.gif
can click from dark to full white screen with volume down and barely perceive a sound difference - previously sounded like a 2kva transformer switching on and off! at the cost of 4 cable ties!!!( and a nicked finger - I should know a lot better than to let thin sheet metal slide through my palm!:-) tongue.gif) Impressive diagnostic skills
Was disappointed in Panasonic over this one - I was a devotee ,I still have an old Panasonic personal CD player I bummed half way round the world with lived on beaches and yachts with it - it never missed a beat! to find they dropped the ball this much on a flagship TV (54 inch Viera) was disheartening to say the least
post #40 of 54 Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercityman View Post

Awesome fix thank you!smile.gifsmile.gif
can click from dark to full white screen with volume down and barely perceive a sound difference - previously sounded like a 2kva transformer switching on and off! at the cost of 4 cable ties!!!( and a nicked finger - I should know a lot better than to let thin sheet metal slide through my palm!:-) tongue.gif) Impressive diagnostic skills
Was disappointed in Panasonic over this one - I was a devotee ,I still have an old Panasonic personal CD player I bummed half way round the world with lived on beaches and yachts with it - it never missed a beat! to find they dropped the ball this much on a flagship TV (54 inch Viera) was disheartening to say the least

Even the best brands will have a small percentage of defects. Panasonic Plasmas are more reliable than any other brand or technology, you just got unlucky. There is no way Panasonic or any other manufacturer can foresee or prevent a failure in one of the hundreds of electronic parts that make up a TV. 99% of us have never suffered a power supply failure. I supply HID ballasts and transformers of various sizes to electrical contractors and we get about 5% of them back defective or cracked.

FWIW, i can't remember seeing anyone post that their power supply transformer cracked like this on any of the 2011 or 2012 models so maybe they fixed the problem, or used a different transformer vendor on the newer models.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #41 of 54 Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM

Hi Randy
I guess a fair comment re every manufacturer having an occasional glitch ,I think you are correct re the component manufacturer - seem to recall it was only an issue on a batch made in Thailand , the first TV I got delivered did it straight out of the box so complained to the retailer after a bit of homework on the net and they replaced it with current unit - noticed the date sticker on back casing is Sept 2010, this one developed the fault over a long period
Interesting to here the failure rate in transformer units is so high - must cause a lot of associated expense, equipment returns ,engineer call outs etc
Thank you once again for your good work posting the fix - the internet is a fantastic thing ,but only works by the efforts of people putting useful stuff up on it
Only thing I can offer is a trick I came up with through the years when stripping down things out on site with lots of different screws - start from a corner ,work your way around and as you remove the screws stick them to a length of insulation tape in the correct order - works all apart from the odd screw you didn't notice until you couldn't get the cover off smile.gif
The Viera does have a great picture quality
Happy New Year
Mike
post #42 of 54 Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Had my Panasonic VIERA TC-P60GT50 Plasma fixed and it was nothing to do with the power supply. The authorized repair removed all of the board mounting screws and replaced them with new screws, and lock washers. No buzz!
post #43 of 54 Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Hi dominique,

I'm considering doing the same surgery on my panasonic plasma so there are some points I would appreciate you to clarify.

First you say 'no metal inside. do not touch anything'. But on one of the pics the pliers's nose is inside. What will happen if I touch something with the pliers? You need them for tightening of the frame and there's at least one metal thing in direct proximity to the transformer.

Second you write that you initially compressed the transformer and the buzz almost disappeared. Did you simply compressed it with your fingers once in a power off mode and then turned the power on? Without anything tightening the transformer once the power was on?

If anyone else has some input please feel free to share.
post #44 of 54 Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
First you say 'no metal inside. do not touch anything'.

This implies "when power is on" !

Pliers are used only when screen is off, and power cord removed (for safety)
Quote:
You need them for tightening of the frame and there's at least one metal thing in direct proximity to the transformer.

This is correct; if there is not a strong tigthening around transformer it will not work.
Quote:
Second you write that you initially compressed the transformer and the buzz almost disappeared. Did you simply compressed it with your fingers once in a power off mode and then turned the power on? Without anything tightening the transformer once the power was on?

Yes, everything was on, I just used my fingers (but care not to touch anything, there is significant voltage -70v I think-). You can use kitchen cleaning gloves to isolate a bit. If it is the root cause, just pressing the transformer while playing movie will significantly change the buzz.
post #45 of 54 Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, still no noise... after 18 months.
post #46 of 54 Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominique.wille View Post

Yes, everything was on, I just used my fingers (but care not to touch anything, there is significant voltage -70v I think-). You can use kitchen cleaning gloves to isolate a bit. If it is the root cause, just pressing the transformer while playing movie will significantly change the buzz.

So what can you touch without getting shocked? Sides of the transformer?
post #47 of 54 Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Everything of the transformer, but not anything around.
post #48 of 54 Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM

All I did was call Panasoninc customer service, and they sent out a local service rep. They took all the boards out, and replaced the washers on the board mounting screws. Problem solved.
post #49 of 54 Old 04-18-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMag View Post

All I did was call Panasoninc customer service, and they sent out a local service rep. They took all the boards out, and replaced the washers on the board mounting screws. Problem solved.
Now that is some good service. I wonder if they have techs in many different major cities. My S60 buzzes a fair bit from up close, but I have no idea if this is outside the norm; I'd figured it was just rather inherent in the current state of the technology.

OP: thanks for being so resourceful, and sharing with us biggrin.gif Glad your fix has truly lasted.
post #50 of 54 Old 04-19-2013, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMag View Post

The title of this thread includes "2010". Your fix looks like for model 2011 or 2012.
post #51 of 54 Old 04-20-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominique.wille View Post

Everything of the transformer, but not anything around.

Allright, thank you sir. Can't promise I'm going to actually stick my hand into working unit maybe I'll just go to installing the frame right way if the sound is coming from the transformer and/or if I see a crack.
post #52 of 54 Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 PM

So I did the deed. After opening the screen found out my unit is 2009. The t201 transformer was definitely the source of the sound and there was a crack too, on the lower right side. After strongly compressing the transformer from top to bottom on the right side about 80 percent of the buzz went off and that was the most, pressing further made no difference. Created the frame. Tightening was a pain in the ass. My goal was to match the finger tightening pressure and in that I failed. Still the frame is there and about 50-60 percent of the buzz is gone.

Also one time I DID accidentaly touched the metal inside while the unit was plugged in and in a stand by mode and maybe another time when it was turned on, although I'm not sure about last one. No shock, still alive tongue.gif Gotta be real focused doing these things.
post #53 of 54 Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Here's my experience. Mine is 50 inch Viera plasma TV that I bought in Feb. 2012.

The buzzing's been bothering me for about a year but I got lazy to fix the problem since it was in a room which I don't use often.

Anyway, I decided to call up the tech before the 2 year Costco warranty expires.

Here's what the tech advised me to do.

1) unplug the TV

2) unplug HDMI

3) press and hold power button for 1 minute then release

4) check to see the problem remains

When I did what he told me to do, the buzzing went away and for about 2 hours, it's fine.

He told me that the problem might be the built-up charge in the transformer. By doing the above, it releases the charge.
I will wait and see if this fixed the problem once and for all but I think it is a good start for those who are afraid to open up the tv.
post #54 of 54 Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Finally fixed the problem.

After about an hour following the fix down here, the buzzing came back. So I called up the tech and asked for warranty service on the TV.

A few days later, a tech came with a bunch of screws with washers. He opened up the back panel and changed all the screws that hold the circuit board in the TV.
Apparently the screws get loose and the vibration causes the buzzing. I could see that the screws were loose and wriggling.

The tech told me it is a common problem in 2011 Panasonic Viera Plasma TV.
It took them 5 minutes to do it and now the buzzing's gone.

If your warranty has expired. Just open up the back panel and change all the silver screws without washers with ones with washers.

^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeshin Soh View Post

Here's my experience. Mine is 50 inch Viera plasma TV that I bought in Feb. 2012.

The buzzing's been bothering me for about a year but I got lazy to fix the problem since it was in a room which I don't use often.

Anyway, I decided to call up the tech before the 2 year Costco warranty expires.

Here's what the tech advised me to do.

1) unplug the TV

2) unplug HDMI

3) press and hold power button for 1 minute then release

4) check to see the problem remains

When I did what he told me to do, the buzzing went away and for about 2 hours, it's fine.

He told me that the problem might be the built-up charge in the transformer. By doing the above, it releases the charge.
I will wait and see if this fixed the problem once and for all but I think it is a good start for those who are afraid to open up the tv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page