Panasonic S30 Series (NOT ST) Picture Settings - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 238 Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone confirm that the D-nice slides r the best to break in the set or to use those in the plasma section?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 238 Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
So all things said and done. This tv sucks?
post #63 of 238 Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 PM

I just got this set $571 shipped from amazon black friday.... I like it but there's alot of dot crawl at the top of my screen... and omg the BUZZ.... this is my first plasma.... does this not bother no body? I'm using it as a computer monitor so I'm sitting <3ft from the unit and I can hear it big time when the screen has alot of white, e.g., web pages.... the unit is fantastic in the dark, looks washout in a lit room... but the buzz maybe a deal breaker for me, you can't really hear it when a movie or tv is playing, but thats the thing I'm not using this as a traditional TV, as a computer monitor you're reading in a quiet room... so I constantly hear it, its not louder than my CPU cooler @ 1000rpms but its more higher frequency noise, so its more sharper, thus more annoying than hearing a fan blow air... maybe if the noise was constant...but its not it changes with according to what's being displayed on screen, its at its loudest when alot of white on screen, its a constant reminder... that my screen buzzes.... does nobody here perceive this?
post #64 of 238 Old 12-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyarks View Post

I just got this set $571 shipped from amazon black friday.... I like it but there's alot of dot crawl at the top of my screen... and omg the BUZZ.... this is my first plasma.... does this not bother no body? I'm using it as a computer monitor so I'm sitting <3ft from the unit and I can hear it big time when the screen has alot of white, e.g., web pages.... the unit is fantastic in the dark, looks washout in a lit room... but the buzz maybe a deal breaker for me, you can't really hear it when a movie or tv is playing, but thats the thing I'm not using this as a traditional TV, as a computer monitor you're reading in a quiet room... so I constantly hear it, its not louder than my CPU cooler @ 1000rpms but its more higher frequency noise, so its more sharper, thus more annoying than hearing a fan blow air... maybe if the noise was constant...but its not it changes with according to what's being displayed on screen, its at its loudest when alot of white on screen, its a constant reminder... that my screen buzzes.... does nobody here perceive this?

Get used to it. All three of my Panny plasmas have some kind of buzz, but it is only noticeable with the volume turned all the way down as you mentioned. I can see it being annoying in your case though using it as a computer monitor.
post #65 of 238 Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Is this tv noticeably darker than previous Panasonic plasma models, or is is just me? I noticed it right out of the box. My two other Panny plasmas just seem much brighter even playing with the settings.
post #66 of 238 Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM

I just purchased this TV from Best Buy last week for $449 as a display unit that had only been out for a few days. Best preset picture is cinema mode. I ran my HDTV calibration disk and the blacks all ran together no matter what I tried. Is this normal on a plasma?

I used the HDTV calibrator Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD.

I really like the TV but seeing all the blacks just melt together on that disk is really bugging me.
post #67 of 238 Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 PM

So I take it there is no further help in this thread for this TV?
post #68 of 238 Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchiefsguru View Post

So I take it there is no further help in this thread for this TV?

Seems like not too many people have this tv. The ST30/GT30 are the higher end models, and those threads are a lot more active.
post #69 of 238 Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Next to the x3 these are the bottom of the panny plasma line with some of the improved features missing. So I guess a lot of the real videophiles do not post or read this thread. I lost my older toshiba 65 in rear project crt tv a couple of months ago. I either could replace it with a lesser promo model or wait. I just did not want to use my jvc pj for day to day use so i choose to go the latter route. I reccomended the 50 inch promo panny models to a few friends and family over the last couple of years and was impressed with theyre pics. So I choose to get the 50" s30 at a very good price at pc richards. Only issue with them unless defective they do not take a return like bb but I gambled. At first like you I was quite dissapointed with the extra deep blacks and darker pic than I expected. I do have a light controlled theater rooml . I have never been a fan of the cinema mode so I stuck with custom mostly use vivid once in a while and a few times natural. My best settings came from the disney wow disc and also used the c net settings . I took a while for the break in but now I really feel the pic is great for the price. I took a while for it to break in and a bit of research . I did have the brightness flluc but turned of the cat and all that is fine also never hear any buzz. My only issue is i would have liked a bigger screen and mabey in the future. I have it set up HDMI from my Onkyo txnr 5009 receiver both set on the cec mode on. My Onk is on direct The tve for me is very saticfactory for the price not that afew more dollars would not buy some decent improvements. I did do a lot of research on the other panny plasma threads and found them very helpful. Good luck.

post #70 of 238 Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Next to the x3 these are the bottom of the panny plasma line with some of the improved features missing. So I guess a lot of the real videophiles do not post or read this thread. I lost my older toshiba 65 in rear project crt tv a couple of months ago. I either could replace it with a lesser promo model or wait. I just did not want to use my jvc pj for day to day use so i choose to go the latter route. I reccomended the 50 inch promo panny models to a few friends and family over the last couple of years and was impressed with theyre pics. So I choose to get the 50" s30 at a very good price at pc richards. Only issue with them unless defective they do not take a return like bb but I gambled. At first like you I was quite dissapointed with the extra deep blacks and darker pic than I expected. I do have a light controlled theater rooml . I have never been a fan of the cinema mode so I stuck with custom mostly use vivid once in a while and a few times natural. My best settings came from the disney wow disc and also used the c net settings . I took a while for the break in but now I really feel the pic is great for the price. I took a while for it to break in and a bit of research . I did have the brightness flluc but turned of the cat and all that is fine also never hear any buzz. My only issue is i would have liked a bigger screen and mabey in the future. I have it set up HDMI from my Onkyo txnr 5009 receiver both set on the cec mode on. My Onk is on direct The tve for me is very saticfactory for the price not that afew more dollars would not buy some decent improvements. I did do a lot of research on the other panny plasma threads and found them very helpful. Good luck.

Did Panasonic get rid of the C series? I remember that used to be the entry level model.
post #71 of 238 Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronzizzle View Post

Can someone provide a link or point me to these settings?

Please can you link me to the settings from D-Nice? Thx

Happy New Year!!
post #72 of 238 Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Not to hijack this thread but I also took the gamble from P.C. Richard but unfortunately lost. Bought an x3 for an unbelievable price but developed a pencil thin line running across the middle of screen during break in. And they don't even accept returns if it's defective. I have to deal with Panasonic directly. Never again.
post #73 of 238 Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Here are my settings from using the Disney WOW blu-ray for the 50S30.

Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 59
Brightness: 58
Color: 47
Tint: +1
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm2
post #74 of 238 Old 01-30-2012, 04:44 PM

I just ordered this set online from BB, couldn't pass up the deal. I have not picked it up yet.

This is my first plasma, and I want to make sure I understand the break-in info right.

I've read through a lot of threads here trying to understand the break in procedures and benefits. From what I can understand,

-A ~100 hr break in period is recommended with lowered settings for brightness etc (or whatever the manual suggests) because the phosphores will 'settle' after this amount of time.

-Especially during this time try to avoid static images such as logos and black bars.

-Any custom calibration should be done after this break in period, or else they would likely need further adjustments after ~100 hrs.

-The flashing slides are only necessary to speed up this break in period, as well as guarantee an even wear throughout the screen. They do nothing for preventing IR/burn in.

So basically, if I tone down the settings as the manual suggests for as many hours of use as it suggests while avoiding static images, THEN calibrate it to my liking I should be fine? I've seen talk about cinema mode being a good setting without calibrating, would this be ok to use during this break in period (beyond personal preference) or should I just leave the settings as they are out of the box?

Am I missing anything critical or misunderstanding anything here? Thanks for any help or guidance.
post #75 of 238 Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

I've had this TV for about a week and the colors look great, but I've noticed that when I have the picture set at "HD size 1" the picture is off to the bottom right and inflated a bit. When I adjust to "HD size 2" the picture is more noticeably one or two notches to the right and down. Is there a way to adjust the picture both horizontally and vertically so that it fits better onto the screen without having to switch to "HD size 1" to lose some of the picture? I remember when I had an older television I was able to access the "service menu" and adjust these settings, but I'd prefer not to with this one unless it's necessary. When you put a video game in that allows you to adjust the display within the game you can see that it's not balanced on both sides of the screen and on the top and bottom. Any help is greatly appreciated as I prefer to avoid using a calibration service. If I can center the picture to my liking I'm more apt to purchase a calibration video and save a few hundred dollars. Thank you very much
post #76 of 238 Old 01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 505
There are TWO S30 threads on here so that could be another reason for the low number of posts.

Currently I'm on my second 50" S30. Both had/have the green blob but my second one is less noticeable-- although I'm still not satisfied with any blobs. For what it's worth, costco let me open their stock to check for the defect, I picked the one that looked best and I'm hoping this will fade with age... Any input on that from owners here?

Other than that the display is decent. It IS dimmer than my old 46" panny but I never watched that set at peak brightness so that's not really a worry for me. Color is OK, black levels are good. Gamma is messed up especially towards the darker end of the spectrum-- forget the green blob the tends to show up in smoke/shadows/close ups.
The gamma tends to compress the finer graduations on darker scenes-- this creates an effect of posterization which my father was able to point out on his 60" S30 (which sits next to another 60" ST30 which also features the green blobs-- his fourth). I've been able to pick this out on my 50" on my copy of the last Harry Potter-- which looked particularly bad as the entire movie is filmed in the dark. Once I get some hours on the set I'll see what I can do to adjust that out. I MAY have to enter the service menu as the gamma issues are bothersome enough to bug me EVEN at this price! Still, I'll wait until Panasonic comes out and tells me about my green..

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #77 of 238 Old 02-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Have the same TV. Used Joe Kane DVE to adjust settings. Did not have a professional calibration. Using the Blu-Ray DVE I came up with the following.

Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 48
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 12
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgmt, CATS, Video NR all OFF
Block and Mosquito NR OFF
Black level: Light

I know the contrast seems high at 100 but frankly in cinema mode this TV does not have the whites that some of the higher end ones do. Even at 100 I feel if I could go higher I would.

Anyhow...these settings and my picture looks great. Did it in complete darkness but still looks good during the day. Hope that helps!
post #78 of 238 Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

So all things said and done. This tv sucks?

The TV is fine. The thread just needs a troll filter...
post #79 of 238 Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

The TV is fine. The thread just needs a troll filter...

It's easier just to mute him...
LL
LL

--Carl Sagan
post #80 of 238 Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf77 View Post

Please can you link me to the settings from D-Nice? Thx

Happy New Year!!

I am also wondering the same thing. After searching the forum I see that he has several different settings threads with different settings for different TVs which one is everyone using for break in? I just picked up a S30 today and I am wondering what settings I need give a try during break-in

THANK YOU
post #81 of 238 Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Where can I find the definitions to the terms/adjustments in the service menu (What each adjustment does)

Just want to learn as much as I can before I start adjusting
post #82 of 238 Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 AM

Liked: 23
i have the answer to all the questions in this thread..

Return the S30 and get a ST30 use those picture settings and you will be very happy.
post #83 of 238 Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYHOMETHEATER View Post

Where can I find the definitions to the terms/adjustments in the service menu (What each adjustment does)

Just want to learn as much as I can before I start adjusting

You should probably read through the display calibration forum. There is some good stuff there.

You already know to ignore the moron...
post #84 of 238 Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

i have the answer to all the questions in this thread..

Return the S30 and get a ST30 use those picture settings and you will be very happy.

Just curious why you think the ST is so special? Is it because of the panel? They are the same. Is it because of the processing? 3D is the only additional hardware, all the other boards are the same. Or is it the AR filter? The ST does have a different one, but ambient light control is pretty much free. So please tell me, since im not a sheep that needs or wants 3D why spend the extra money on a ST( in my case an additional $600). Is it just to brag to S owners ( I can't think if who else you could) about having an extra letter in your model number? Please enlighten me.
post #85 of 238 Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Just curious why you think the ST is so special? Is it because of the panel? They are the same. Is it because of the processing? 3D is the only additional hardware, all the other boards are the same. Or is it the AR filter? The ST does have a different one, but ambient light control is pretty much free. So please tell me, since im not a sheep that needs or wants 3D why spend the extra money on a ST( in my case an additional $600). Is it just to brag to S owners ( I can't think if who else you could) about having an extra letter in your model number? Please enlighten me.

I will speak only for myself in this case: I did exactly what you have been advised to do. I returned my S30 for an ST30, strictly because of the FBr issue that Panasonic will not fix on the S30. It drove me crazy. Being that they fixed it with ST,GT, VT series, I paid the extra money. In my case, it cost me $300 to go from a 50" S30 to 55" ST30. I figured 5" increase and 3D capability were not things I was after, but a welcome bonus. The sole reason was for FBr.

That being said, I am very happy with the ST, for two reasons: Improved picture (it really does have an overall better picture,) and no more FBr. I also now have the ability, if I decide to, purchase insanely priced glasses and watch 3D content. I have not made this step yet. As far as the AR filter is concerned, I really can't tell you that I have noticed much difference. I would hate to see you upgrade for that reason and expect a big difference.

I will say though, that the pink/green blob issue, color banding, etc... is still present with my ST30. I believe that these issues cannot be avoided, as they seem to be present in all models of Plasma by Panasonic. We will call them features to be nice about it. I believe all 2011 Panasonic plasmas have these "features", it just depends on how sensitive you are to them.
post #86 of 238 Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

So I can say, without question, that my set has undergone changes in the last week or so of ownership. After spending considerable time "re-calibrating" the 50" with my AVS709 disc I'm more satisfied than ever with the picture I'm able to achieve.

This is not a perfect set and the color saturation along with the really questionable gamma in anything other than (too-dark-for-me-in-anything-but-a-pitch-black-room) cinema leaves me a bit at odds on a recommendation for this display. On one hand, it's a capable media-room set and the PQ will compare with models costing hundreds (if not thousands) more if fed a quality source. On the other hand, it's narrow margin for error and seemingly limited capability in a bright room makes it a tough sell against other sets that, while they may have inferior PQ, might be more well rounded for someone shopping in this price range.

For me, I just wanted a monitor that would make it acceptable to watch movies again. With no guarantees that panasonic has fixed the rising blacks issue that so handily ruined my 2008 46"-- I'm happy to NOT overpay for another flat panel. The S fits the bill.

--Carl Sagan
post #87 of 238 Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

I will speak only for myself in this case: I did exactly what you have been advised to do. I returned my S30 for an ST30, strictly because of the FBr issue that Panasonic will not fix on the S30. It drove me crazy. Being that they fixed it with ST,GT, VT series, I paid the extra money. In my case, it cost me $300 to go from a 50" S30 to 55" ST30. I figured 5" increase and 3D capability were not things I was after, but a welcome bonus. The sole reason was for FBr.

That being said, I am very happy with the ST, for two reasons: Improved picture (it really does have an overall better picture,) and no more FBr. I also now have the ability, if I decide to, purchase insanely priced glasses and watch 3D content. I have not made this step yet. As far as the AR filter is concerned, I really can't tell you that I have noticed much difference. I would hate to see you upgrade for that reason and expect a big difference.

I will say though, that the pink/green blob issue, color banding, etc... is still present with my ST30. I believe that these issues cannot be avoided, as they seem to be present in all models of Plasma by Panasonic. We will call them features to be nice about it. I believe all 2011 Panasonic plasmas have these "features", it just depends on how sensitive you are to them.

For some reason I didn't think that you had purchased the 55". $300 is less than what you'd normally pay to go from 50 to 55-- so the fact that you got a model upgrade in the process is a good deal.

I saw those deals on the 55" STs and I was even able to track one down... I paid even less for my S so the cost to upgrade would have been closer to 400 and I wasn't sure if 55" would even fit on my stand! Keep in mind that I had been happy with my 46" until the contrast went to **** and, really, should have probably stuck with 46" as the 50" is pretty mammoth from where we sit. Still, if I was going to buy new I had to get something of an upgrade, right? Add to all that my S was the one that I had found that displayed the green/pink the LEAST and you can understand my reluctance in purchasing another model. At the point I was at trying to find a green/pink free display I was ready to just throw in the towel...

You'll be satisfied with the ST. I've spent considerable time with (several) 60"STs and the PQ is fantastic. The green/pink is still an issue on my father's set even after considerable time on the panel so my advice is to just get comfortable with the flaw if you plan on keeping the panel.

--Carl Sagan
post #88 of 238 Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The S does have the same panel and features the same fast switching phosphors. The discrepancy between moving resolution on the S vs the ST/GT/VT has to do with the "smoothing" frame interpolation feature and NOT physical differences in the panel themselves. FYI if you want the best motion performance without the effects of frame interpolation (lag, artifacts) the S performs better than the higher end models-- though the differences are subtle at BEST.

I have no evidence that the boards are the same and, unless you have proof to the contrary, I wouldn't expect them to be. Fact is, this is an entry level set that doesn't feature 3d-- I expect there would be substantial differences between these sets' image processing.

All trolling aside (because god knows we have enough of that in this thread, let alone this FORUM), there are significant feature upgrades to going with an ST over an S. For me, had I been able to find a 50" ST for ~$100 more I would have upgraded simply for the better custom picture settings! The ST was selling for such a price but, unfortunately, long gone by the time I took notice. Combine that with my well chronicled battle with green/pink blobs I finally made myself a promise that I wan't going to shop for another Panasonic-- I was going to be satisfied with the S or it was going back, plain and simple.

--Carl Sagan
post #89 of 238 Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

So I can say, without question, that my set has undergone changes in the last week or so of ownership. After spending considerable time "re-calibrating" the 50" with my AVS709 disc I'm more satisfied than ever with the picture I'm able to achieve.

This is not a perfect set and the color saturation along with the really questionable gamma in anything other than (too-dark-for-me-in-anything-but-a-pitch-black-room) cinema leaves me a bit at odds on a recommendation for this display. On one hand, it's a capable media-room set and the PQ will compare with models costing hundreds (if not thousands) more if fed a quality source. On the other hand, it's narrow margin for error and seemingly limited capability in a bright room makes it a tough sell against other sets that, while they may have inferior PQ, might be more well rounded for someone shopping in this price range.

For me, I just wanted a monitor that would make it acceptable to watch movies again. With no guarantees that panasonic has fixed the rising blacks issue that so handily ruined my 2008 46"-- I'm happy to NOT overpay for another flat panel. The S fits the bill.

Sage what are your final settings
post #90 of 238 Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM

From another post on this site -

"I like this site but there are alot of half truths about what TV has what. I contacted Panasonic directly and they directed me to a the Panasonic Technical Group. They don't usually speak to customers if you don't have a problem but I spoke to a tech expert and he gave me the e'mail to one of the engineers.

Here is the email with responses to my questions.

customer.care@panasonic.com

Hello

My name is brad and thank you for your inquiries for purchasing a Panasonic Viera TV.

I am a engineer for Panasonic and work with our Viera tech support group.

I will attempt to answer your questions the best I can.

The differences between the S30 and ST30 from a panel standpoint is mainly the features the ST30 provides over the S30 that enhance the picture for 3D effects. Such as the Anti-reflective Louvre Filter, which filters out the ambient light. The S30 also has a Anti-reflective filter, but the difference between the two is the Louvre Filter helps to merge 3D images, where as the S30 needs no such filter.

All S series Panasonic TV's use the same panel. Each Series has it's own unique properties and enhancements. For instance the V series has a different panel from the G series. What separates the models within each series is the different panel enhancements specific to that model. All three series feature Panasonic's fast switching phosphors.

For post processing, the S30 and ST30 use the same post processor. As the G series uses a different post processor and the V series uses a different post processor from the G series. Each processor is specific to each series. As is each panel specific to each series.

What separates the S30 and the ST30 is the ST30 has a additional processor specifically for 3D. This processor is used for the exceptional 3D effects of all the 2011 3D Viera models. As well as 2D-to-3D conversion.

Each model would make a fine choice I am sure.

Hope this answers your questions and concerns in choosing the right Panasonic Viera TV that is right for you.

Thank you for choosing Panasonic.

Brad.

For additional questions or concerns please contact us at:

customer.care@panasonic.com

or write to:

Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division
Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094

http://www2.panasonic.com"
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page