AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshibaman View Post

Sage did u check with panasonic about the graphics option

I need to talk to an engineer. Customer service gave me the description in the manual-- that it enhances the picture for menu text. That's great and all but WHAT is it changing exactly? And why the heck would you have a picture setting buried in the menu just to enhance menu selections?

What I thought it may be doing is affecting color space-- but then there is already a setting for standard/nonstandard color space. There is definitely a noticeable lowering of gamma but it's too much. It's like you go from one extreme to the other.

Either way I'm officially less enthusiastic about my display as my dad just upgraded from his st30 to an st50 and his initial assessment is there is a substantial difference is picture. He made a particular note about the black levels. Color me officially jealous. I wish they still sold an "S"-- that is the picture quality of the ST with none of the crap I don't need. All indications seem to point at the UT50 being more on par with 2011 PQ than 2012.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #183 of 238 Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I need to talk to an engineer. Customer service gave me the description in the manual-- that it enhances the picture for menu text. That's great and all but WHAT is it changing exactly? And why the heck would you have a picture setting buried in the menu just to enhance menu selections?

What I thought it may be doing is affecting color space-- but then there is already a setting for standard/nonstandard color space. There is definitely a noticeable lowering of gamma but it's too much. It's like you go from one extreme to the other.

Either way I'm officially less enthusiastic about my display as my dad just upgraded from his st30 to an st50 and his initial assessment is there is a substantial difference is picture. He made a particular note about the black levels. Color me officially jealous. I wish they still sold an "S"-- that is the picture quality of the ST with none of the crap I don't need. All indications seem to point at the UT50 being more on par with 2011 PQ than 2012.

On the ST30 it is valuable when using mid panel brightness. It helps the saturation and luminance. My pro calibrator recommended it, check out the st30 diy thread for more info.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #184 of 238 Old 04-27-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

On the ST30 it is valuable when using mid panel brightness. It helps the saturation and luminance. My pro calibrator recommended it, check out the st30 diy thread for more info.

My problem is if all it does is improve the picture then why didn't Panasonic just affect this change by default? There has to be some adverse effect by using it. Maybe processing or something.

--Carl Sagan
post #185 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My problem is if all it does is improve the picture then why didn't Panasonic just affect this change by default? There has to be some adverse effect by using it. Maybe processing or something.

Why does panasonic do alot of things they do ? From everything I have read and experienced personally it has no adverse impact at all, it does however improve color accuracy on mid and high panel brightnesses.

post #186 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why does panasonic do alot of things they do ? From everything I have read and experienced personally it has no adverse impact at all, it does however improve color accuracy on mid and high panel brightnesses.

The S30 has no pro picture adjustments-- the graphics setting appears to raise gamma. I don't see why this setting would affect gamma when there already is a gamma setting on the ST30. No, I feel like I'm wrong here: it looks like it's adjusting gamma but I think it's doing something else.

--Carl Sagan
post #187 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The S30 has no pro picture adjustments-- the graphics setting appears to raise gamma. I don't see why this setting would affect gamma when there already is a gamma setting on the ST30. No, I feel like I'm wrong here: it looks like it's adjusting gamma but I think it's doing something else.

Maybe it behaves differently on the S30 not sure, I can only testify to what I have seen and what Chad measured on my set and others. Are you trying to use that setting to overcome a particular picture issue ?

post #188 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe it behaves differently on the S30 not sure, I can only testify to what I have seen and what Chad measured on my set and others. Are you trying to use that setting to overcome a particular picture issue ?

No, I don't use it. A lot of the guys here have and they like the way it affects the picture. I have no use for it in cinema as cinema is damn near perfect (or as close as this display can approximate)-- but I have been trying to massage game mode into a more acceptable picture without the benefit of adequate picture modes. Both the S and ST (and GT from what i've seen) have really high gamma in game mode and there is no way to change it. The graphics selection appears to lower the gamma but it goes too far, producing an unnaturally 'light' image while simultaneously reducing the overall luminance of the display. It almost seems to 'compress' the picture. In a way, I suppose, that would support the gamma argument.

I'm just more curious as to WHAT the switch actually controls? The description in the manual and from Panasonic doesn't satisfy me.

--Carl Sagan
post #189 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sage, I feel you for wanting to know what all your controls do...I also hope that you can find some level of satisfaction and enjoy your set. For me to keep it I had to get to that point.Which I have now.I don't profess to be a videophile but I do like my equipment setup correctly and sounding and looking good. Which I feel I have with this set. For the money I spent I love it!!

Since I'm using 2 speakers in a soundbar setup anyway passing only stereo sound is okay for me. Actually preferable.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #190 of 238 Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

We'll see how I feel after my first REAL audition with my dad's 60ST50 tonight!
Going to watch MI:GP which I just watched this week on my 50S30 so, while it won't be a head-to-head, it'll still be fresh in my mind. Not comparing the two, per se, as the ST is literally twice the price of my S-- but I am interested to see how much of an improvement the ST50 is. No offense to either my dad or dbreen, I really didn't see any PQ difference between the S and the ST outside of the custom picture mode and the STs superior light rejection; and as I've stated many times my interest is in a 'dumb' monitor-- I do not wish to pay for a plethora of features I will not use or I already have in the variety of boxes beneath my set. For that reason the S was a nice set as it offered all the picture quality and most of the features I WOULD use on the highly regarded ST30 without having to pay for those features I won't use (as well as getting a sexier bezel, IMO).

Cnet's David K said as much in a recent article calling for more manufacturers to offer their best PQ in scaled down 'dumb monitors' with a reduced price tag for those of us whose concern is PQ first and foremost. Not that we don't want features... But the simple fact is between my Xbox 360, ps3, oppo 980h, wii and the onkyo 509 that pulls it all together I have every feature I could ever want! TVs with built in streaming are nice-- but as I already have that capability why not offer me a set without? And no, I don't want your scaled back, cheaped out, poor picture quality set! I hated that Panasonic isn't offering an S this year-- the PQ of the ST without the 3d, etc..

--Carl Sagan
post #191 of 238 Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

Since I'm using 2 speakers in a soundbar setup anyway passing only stereo sound is okay for me. Actually preferable.

brickie

let's clarify this. The 50s30 passes 5.1 through the optical out. It seems the 60s30 only passes 2 channel stereo through its optical out.

Connecticut
post #192 of 238 Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Dtbreen, sage and anybody else. Put down your final calibration settings. For gaming also if you have some for gaming.

Here are my settings:
Custom
Contrast 80
Brightness 59
Color 47
Tint +3
Sharpness 50 thru 65 (your choice)
Color temp normal
Everything else off
Hdmi content auto & off
I was using graphic hdmi content content but on games like madden the green was dull. I can't get my games to look right in cinema plus I don't like cinema gamma. Please help guys so I can stop messing with my tv!!
post #193 of 238 Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Oh where is babin? With those service menu options!
post #194 of 238 Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dtbreen, sage and anybody else. Put down your final calibration settings. For gaming also if you have some for gaming.

Here are my settings:
Custom
Contrast 80
Brightness 59
Color 47
Tint +3
Sharpness 50 thru 65 (your choice)
Color temp normal
Everything else off
Hdmi content auto & off
I was using graphic hdmi content content but on games like madden the green was dull. I can't get my games to look right in cinema plus I don't like cinema gamma. Please help guys so I can stop messing with my tv!!

Just view back a few pages, I haven't changed my settings. IMO, cinema on warm1 looks about as good as it gets for this set-- but it's too dim for games. Pretty sure I posted my game settings too.

--Carl Sagan
post #195 of 238 Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 PM

So sage you do use hdmi content content graphics option on game mode settings
post #196 of 238 Old 05-01-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So sage you do use hdmi content content graphics option on game mode settings

Tried it-- didn't like it. I think it would help to know what the setting is actually doing so I can make picture adjustments accordingly. I find game works fine as I generally boost the brightness/gamma option in-game as it is.

I did try the non-standard and used the corresponding setting in the Xbox (expanded). I actually really liked this but abandoned it as I would have to run a separate hdmi line as right now everything goes through the receiver.

--Carl Sagan
post #197 of 238 Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGerard View Post

let's clarify this. The 50s30 passes 5.1 through the optical out. It seems the 60s30 only passes 2 channel stereo through its optical out.

DGerard,
are you basing this purely on personal reports and observations or have you seen and official literature that substiantes this statement?
I don't see why 50" would support 5.1 but not the 60"
post #198 of 238 Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Didn't see that comment..For me I use a Panasonic sound bar that splits apart to become 2 speakers for true stereo use. This is why I said that for me 2 channel is all I need.

I would tend to believe that it will pass 5.1 if the other sets do.Unfortunately I can't verify on my end. Where we have this set setup,it will never see 5.1.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #199 of 238 Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badabing2005 View Post

DGerard,
are you basing this purely on personal reports and observations or have you seen and official literature that substiantes this statement?
I don't see why 50" would support 5.1 but not the 60"

I've read nothing official at all and I am also surprised that there should be any difference between the models in this respect. It was actually sage11x who made the initial statement about the optical out only passing through stereo. He then wondered if it was model specific. You and at least one other person have noted that only stereo seems to get passed through on the 60" models. My 50" clearly passes 5.1 from its various HDMI inputs through its optical output.

Connecticut
post #200 of 238 Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 AM

Hey babin what are your picture settings for normal and I gaming
post #201 of 238 Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Panasonic has made a leap in PQ across the board. I expected the ST/GT/VT to be an improvement but I sort of figured the UT and U models would be more in line with the 2011 line than the 2012. This doesn't appear to be the case as cnet has just reviewed the UT and found it has very good picture quality (not as good as the ST but closer than they expected considering it's budget price) and even deeper blacks!

Water under the bridge now as my return date has come and gone and my S is still mounted happily to my stand. I really do like this set but the uniformity issues and the lack of proper picture controls along with it's somewhat limited bright room usability stop me short from LOVING it like I did my prior panasonic. Either way, I'll tell you this much: I'm so glad I didn't spend anymore money for a 2011 set! Lol! The 2012 are a significant improvement but the knowledge that it will probably be another 6 to 8 months before prices fall to the level I paid makes me feel a *little* better about my purchase.

--Carl Sagan
post #202 of 238 Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Just played through journey on the ps3 through my 50s30.

Wow.

About the only thing I could complain about is the banding during the credits-- other than that this was an amazing audio/video experience! It's moments like these that I have to remind myself of how little I spent on this set... That and how old my surround sound system is! Lol! MovieWorks II, baby! At least the receiver is new. :P

--Carl Sagan
post #203 of 238 Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM

sage, thank you for taking the community out of the deep depression of your previous post. I went to bestbuy myself the other day and looked at the newer models and I must say they did not impress me anymore than my 50s30.
post #204 of 238 Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the 2012 Panasonic line up is mighty impressive. I'm not upset with my S but the 2011 line was a 'two steps forward, one step back' kind of year. Still, I'll be happy with my S... At least until the 2012 models drop to discount prices!

I'm still VERY happy I didn't buy into the hype and spring for an ST30 or GT30!

--Carl Sagan
post #205 of 238 Old 05-14-2012, 12:19 PM

So u are satisfied with your current settings compared to 2012 lineup
post #206 of 238 Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So u are satisfied with your current settings compared to 2012 lineup

The S cannot compete with the ST50, or even the UT50 for that matter, in a bright room. It just CAN'T. In a dark room the playing field is a little more level but the 2012 models surpass their predecessors with a breathtakingly rich black level. Again, black level was never an issue with my S but once you see how dark the 2012 lineup is it's hard to go back to anything less. It's a bit why the Kuro guys feel 'stuck'-- there are newer designs and brighter displays and more features but none can offer the depth of black that the pioneers once did. Not saying the 2012 pannys get THAT dark but they are impressive!

New models will always make the previous models look outdated-- it's the nature of technology. Overall, the S represented an excellent value on a well performing display with it's fair share of faults. Some things I expected based on it's price and position as an entry model-- but the S30 (along with most of the 2011 lineup) has several prominent faults that I WASN'T expecting based on my previous ownership of Panasonic plasma. These little issues were a bit of a surprise to me and lowered my satisfaction of what was otherwise a screaming deal!

As the 2012 models are selling at MSRP and my S was purchased at a deep close out price it's really an unfair comparison. But I'll definitely be keeping my eye out to see what kind of sales there are on these panels at the end of the year or beginning of next. So I guess you'd say I'm happier with the price I paid than with the product I bought!

--Carl Sagan
post #207 of 238 Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Ok, so I've had my 50S30 for 6 months now. I've always had the slight buzzing that all plasmas seem to have, but recently right when I turn the tv on the buzzing is noticeably louder. Is this something to be worried about? Should I call Panasonic now or wait?
post #208 of 238 Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the buzzing subside once the set warms up? Does content affect the volume of the buzzing, ie: scenes with a lot of peak white? Have there been any other changes in your setup: recent move/relocation of display, equipment changes? Any new appliances in the house? Have you recently redecorated the room the set is in?
How loud is the buzzing? Is it audible over the speakers?

--Carl Sagan
post #209 of 238 Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Does the buzzing subside once the set warms up? Does content affect the volume of the buzzing, ie: scenes with a lot of peak white? Have there been any other changes in your setup: recent move/relocation of display, equipment changes? Any new appliances in the house? Have you recently redecorated the room the set is in?
How loud is the buzzing? Is it audible over the speakers?

Yes, it does seem to subside after a little bit. Just this past week though, I've noticed it. Right when I turn the tv on the buzzing is loud, but after being on for a while the buzzing seems to diminish. Nothing has really changed in my room that I can think of. No new appliances or anything. My house has always been very dusty though especially with three cats. That is the one thing that comes to mind that maybe causing a problem.
post #210 of 238 Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyplas View Post

Yes, it does seem to subside after a little bit. Just this past week though, I've noticed it. Right when I turn the tv on the buzzing is loud, but after being on for a while the buzzing seems to diminish. Nothing has really changed in my room that I can think of. No new appliances or anything. My house has always been very dusty though especially with three cats. That is the one thing that comes to mind that maybe causing a problem.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to take a can of compressed air and CAREFULLY clear the vents in the back. Just make sure the set is off and you don't have any tinsel hanging around from lat christmas.

You are sure the humming is coming from the panel and NOT the speakers, right?

Typically, plasma buzz is cause by a high frequency resonance or 'vibration' of the glass substrate. Maybe someone more in-the-know could chime in but I suspect a sudden change in resonance could be caused by a modification of the voltage supplied to the panel-- which is known to occur as the normal aging process of the device.

--Carl Sagan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page