Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 238 Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyplas View Post

Ok, so I've had my 50S30 for 6 months now. I've always had the slight buzzing that all plasmas seem to have, but recently right when I turn the tv on the buzzing is noticeably louder. Is this something to be worried about? Should I call Panasonic now or wait?

Is the buzzing coming from any particular area of the display? As you face the panel, which side (if any) does the buzz seem to be coming from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 238 Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Liked: 10
I'm looking for specific service menu settings/calibration for my Panasonic P60S30 plasma. I have looked and looked. Thank you for any help or direction. I did a 150 hour d-nice recommended slide break in already.
post #213 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by resjnu View Post

I'm looking for specific service menu settings/calibration for my Panasonic P60S30 plasma. I have looked and looked. Thank you for any help or direction. I did a 150 hour d-nice recommended slide break in already.

This thread has a TON of posts referencing picture settings for the S30! Just browse back a few pages.

I posted all my settings here on this thread but I also use cinema most of the time and I've found cinema default to be the best available on this set. You can find my bright room settings and game settings here as well.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #214 of 238 Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM

I've spend a few hours looking but cannot find service menu settings. There are some for the ST but not he S. which has different values used in the service menu for drv and cut.
post #215 of 238 Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Don't do service menu adjustments. Sorry can't help you.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #216 of 238 Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyplas View Post

Ok, so I've had my 50S30 for 6 months now. I've always had the slight buzzing that all plasmas seem to have, but recently right when I turn the tv on the buzzing is noticeably louder. Is this something to be worried about? Should I call Panasonic now or wait?

My 2 cents on buzzing. I suspect the buzzing comes from different atmospheric pressures in the weather. I live near high power lines and i notice in certain weather conditions the power lines will give off a buzz. On those same days my plasma will also buzz. Coincidence???
post #217 of 238 Old 06-03-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So far ovder 2 months in and no buzzing from my 60s30 at all..Will probably eventually hear it though..I do get a buzzing from my Vizio.It's over 6-7 years old...At normal volumes though can't hear it.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #218 of 238 Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 AM

Elsewhere in this or another Panasonic plasma thread people have said that the buzzing was remedied by tightening the screws on one of the boards inside the set.

Connecticut
post #219 of 238 Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGerard View Post

Elsewhere in this or another Panasonic plasma thread people have said that the buzzing was remedied by tightening the screws on one of the boards inside the set.

Yes, I had that issue occur with my panny. It was fixed under warranty, took the technician about 5 min to do I had to wrangle with tech support for a few days, but that's nothing unusual.....
post #220 of 238 Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
What sound you get through optical is a function of what type of channel you're tuned to. Per page 52 of the manual, if you're tuned to an ATSC channel, you get dolby digital (assuming the channel is broadcasting it), which is 5.1 sound, and that is what I get when I'm tuned to a HD station. I only get 2 channel (actually 2.1, my receiver uses the sub regardless) when I tune to a standard def channel, which the set apparently treats as an NTSC channel (even though it's all digital these days) so it provides only two channel PCM. Under those circumstances I just switch the receiver to dolby pro logic if I want surround sound.
post #221 of 238 Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 AM

I have heard that the S30B has 900 lines of motion and the ST30 has 1080. I don't quiet know what this means but I have been trying to look it up. It's to do with a picture in motion (derrr lol) and how much it might blur.

I use this TV mainly for XBox gaming. Now, if I put the XBox in 720p then surely the whole picture will be less blurred in motion as all lines of motion are done. If I put the XBox in 1080p then less lines of motion are done?

I hope you know what I'm getting at! I'm just basically trying to find the best resolution for motion blur.

Also if I do change to 720p the TV will have to do the scaling instead of the XBox at 1080p. Will this add input lag as I understand the TV is 16ms. Which would be better with the above?
post #222 of 238 Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@Sage

Too bad the 2012 panasonics based on my experince completely fail in terms of input
lag. I don't know about you but i just can't deal with the 3 frames of lag. The S30 &
ST30 'via' component cables gets you that amazing 1 frame. Plus the 2012 NA models
have lousy scaling for 480p/720p content. The 2012 models are a mess imo.
They are however superior in brightness, color/gamut and black levels, but are inferior
in terms of gaming performance and scaling when stacked up to the S30/ST30. Otherwise
i would of scored a 55" UT50, but it had to go with either the S30 or ST30 for that
awesome 1 frame/16ms of lag.

Anyways, While Cinema mode looks a bit more natural....It's too dim,
the gamma seems a bit milky, it lacks punch and overall looks a little flat especially in comparison
to my previous crt's.

'Custom' however fixes all of these problems, however there's something a bit
funky going on with skin tones and the whites. The whites
seem a bit too bright and slightly unatural at times, while skin tones
can look 'slightly' look a litle rough. This isn't exactly so much
of a problem for bluray content in comparison to SD/DVD's.

Still, i can't settle for cinema mode because of those reasons i mentioned
above. Custom however is AMAZING for anything stop motion, CG or animated. SD content
suffers worse in custom mode. XD

CURRENT SETTINGS on custom for movies >

Contrast: 75
Brightness: 58
Color: 42
Sharpness: 50 - (I bump it up to '65' for Stop Motion or CG/Pixar films.)
Hue/tint: 0

Color temp: Warm 1
Size: 2

Color management: ON
CATS: OFF
Video NR: Strong

Black Level: Light

CORALINE on BLURAY looks absolutely jaw dropping on my 60" S30, best looking Bluray
i've seen yet. Resident Evil Retribution is supposed to one of the best as of late also!
Ctaptastic film aside craptastic film aside, with it's heavy use of dated
Slo mo matrix effects and lousy acting.lol
post #223 of 238 Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

First of all, Cinema mode is just a too dim for my liking, but custom mode is too harsh with the whites, while the picture looks
artificial and rough on the eyes. It's uneccaptable, especially for DVD's. However ONCE you go
to the HDMI settings(in custom mode), go into 'content type' and label HDMI
'GRAPHICS' instead of OFF(default) The pictre will now LOOK identicle to cinema
mode but you get a major boost in brightness! and the whites look
completely natural and not washed out or grey in cinema or eye scortching white in regular custom mode. Plus there's been a nice reduction in red push.

Here are my current settings in custom mode, Ah why am i even
bothering this thread :is D-E-A-D. XP

Custom Mode (For movies)

Contrast: 75 -100 (Knock it up to this level in 'graphics' mode)
Brightness: 58
Color: 46 (The red and green push are still there, but reduced)
Sharpness: 50
Tint: 0

Temp: WARM1
size: 2
Color MGMT: ON
Screen Format: Full

HDMI: 'GRAPHICS' (Auto & OFF destroy the look of the picture)
HDMI/DVI Range: Auto
post #224 of 238 Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 AM

It's not dead. People still read. Like me!

I wish I had the same options on my UK TV as you guys do. I just have slider bars to go up and down. No numbers on them.

Also I don't have a custom I just have Nornal, Cinema, True Cinema, Game and Picture. That's it!
post #225 of 238 Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post

It's not dead. People still read. Like me!

I wish I had the same options on my UK TV as you guys do. I just have slider bars to go up and down. No numbers on them.

Also I don't have a custom I just have Nornal, Cinema, True Cinema, Game and Picture. That's it!

Don't worry, Game mode with the exact same settings
as i listed above in my previous post looks identicle to custom when watching movies. wink.gif I'm now officially blown away by the PQ...Cinema mode looks like trash now.
With it's milky gamma, flat and dim picture...i don't know how anybody can put up with that,
I honestly couldn't adjust to cinema OR custom with it's harsh bright whites and artifical unatural skin tones. But it's far superior in brightness and has a punchier picture
thanks to the better gamma. Both modes had their pro's and cons. But now, Custom(same deal with game) are thee' definitive
modes to select. Again ONLY when you go to content type, and change HDMI1(or whichever HDMI you're using)
to 'Graphics'....This is what makes this set look phenomenal, otherwise you're screwed.lol the picture now looks Almost as natural as cinema, but as more punch & pop, better gamma and fantastic brightness
post #226 of 238 Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Don't worry, Game mode with the exact same settings
as i listed above in my previous post looks identicle to custom when watching movies. wink.gif I'm now officially blown away by the PQ...Cinema mode looks like trash now.
With it's milky gamma, flat and dim picture...i don't know how anybody can put up with that,
I honestly couldn't adjust to cinema OR custom with it's harsh bright whites and artifical unatural skin tones. But it's far superior in brightness and has a punchier picture
thanks to the better gamma. Both modes had their pro's and cons. But now, Custom(same deal with game) are thee' definitive
modes to select. Again ONLY when you go to content type, and change HDMI1(or whichever HDMI you're using)
to 'Graphics'....This is what makes this set look phenomenal, otherwise you're screwed.lol the picture now looks Almost as natural as cinema, but as more punch & pop, better gamma and fantastic brightness

I just tried your settings pretty nice . Just curious. Black level do you use dark or light I have mixed feelings rhere

post #227 of 238 Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

I just tried your settings pretty nice . Just curious. Black level do you use dark or light I have mixed feelings rhere

You gotta use LIGHT with those settings.
After shifting back from Cinema and Custom, Cinema does 'slightly' provide a more natural picture.
But again, i just can't deal with the milky gamma and dimmer picture...

I'm sticking with custom and that's that. I want the closest look to a CRT set, and those settings seem to work the
best for me. If anything, i wouldn't mind getting into the service menu and fixing this red and green push problem, but i'm
afraid i might brick my set. XP

to get the skin tones and greens looking normal i found that you have to knock the color down to 35, but then everything
else looks a bit washed out and lacks punch. I just keep it at 45.

If cinema mode offered gamma controls and a brighter picture than i'd be on board.
I'm sure there will be absolutely none of these problems with this years S60 or ST60, which normally i'd go for, but the reason
i went with the S30 is because of the 16ms/1 frame of input lag for gaming....It's honestly the only reason. XP
The U50, UT50 and ST50 however are very dissapointing(3 frames) in terms of input lag when stacked up to the S30 & ST30....And so is their soft 480p & 720p scaling.
post #228 of 238 Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM

I tried using Game mode as you suggested and it does not really look that different from Normal setting. The other thing about Game mode is I lose Intelligent Frame Creation frown.gif
post #229 of 238 Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM

I have a TCP42S30 and there is no way that anyone suggesting "Warm 2" has tried watching a black and white movie. I tried watching my Criterion blu-ray of Paths Of Glory and the movie was sepia tone instead of black and white tongue.gif I noticed on Panasonic's website that only when in CINEMA mode can you use the "600Hz Sub-field Drive" technology. Even among reviewers who used calibration systems the results greatly varied! What's up with that?

Source: http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Panasonic-TC-P50S30-Plasma-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm
Picture Mode: cinema (assuming based on the default values)
Setting...............Default...............Calibrated
Contrast...............100.....................43
Brightness.............58......................58
Color....................50......................50
Tint......................0........................0
Sharpness.............50.......................0
Color Temp............Warm2.................Warm2
Color Mgmt............Off......................Off
C.A.T.S.................Off......................Off
Video NR...............Weak...................Off
Mosquito NR...........Off......................Off
Black level.............Light....................Light

Source: http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-viera-tc-p50s30-plasma-hdtv-settings
Picture Menu
Picture mode: Cinema
*Contrast: +64
*Brightness: +57
*Color: +45
*Tint: 0
*Sharpness: +65
Color temp.: Warm 2
Color mgmt.: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
Aspect adjustments

Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: Size 2
Zoom adjustments: N/A

HDMI settings

HDMI/DVI RGB range: Auto
Content type: Off

Advanced picture

3D Y/C filter: N/A
Color matrix: N/A
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: Auto
24p Direct in: 60Hz
post #230 of 238 Old 02-17-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

@Alex Bazor
Who in the hell would stick the contrast at '43' in CINEMA mode?....at 100, it's already abnormally dim.LOL:p
And Warm 2 makes the whites a smidge too yellow I'd say.

Anyways!... I'm a little frustrated here.
Now in custom mode, turning 'HDMI content type' to 'Graphics' has made a HUGE difference
in knocking down the abbrasive piercing whites and black crushing + the clayfaced artificial look, yet it 'still' doesn't
look 'quite' as natural as Cinema mode.

Now, I'd be absolutely FINE with cinema mode...But it's TOO dim and the gamma looks a bit milky. Then there's the red push which makes skin tones look a bit sun burnt unless unless you knock the color down to '42/43', but then if you do that everything else looks washed out. But I'm sure this could be corrected in the service menu. For now i just leave it at 50.

Here are my final settings in Custom mode with HDMI Content set to 'GRAPHICS' for fmovies.

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 57
Color: 50 (Going to fix the red push in the service menu)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 65

Color Temp: WARM 1
Color Management: ON

Ratio: Full
Size: 2

Mosquito NR: OFF
Black Level: Light
post #231 of 238 Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM

what do you guys use for streaming content? amazon and netflix. The GRAPHICS setting doesn't translate over to the streaming services
post #232 of 238 Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I've gotten into the service menu on my S30 by holding down Vol- and pressing 'info' 3 times.
but strangely enough i can't seem to...Well, use it. I'm pressing the arrows on my remote and nothings working.

All i want to do is fix the red push. any help?
post #233 of 238 Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 458
You have to hold down volume on the tv itself as far as the red pushyou really need a meter and software

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #234 of 238 Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the users on here apperantly fixed the red push by switching the TINT to '03' and Color to '3c'.
If it's a quick easy fix i wouldn't mind trying it out. And you hold the Vol- on the TV to actually navigate the menu? What do you press
to go into a category ect ect?
post #235 of 238 Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYHOMETHEATER View Post

I fixed the sunburn flesh tone problem by changing the tint and color in the service menu. And now the picture is unbelievable. Dont be afraid of the service menu. Aslong as you pay attention and dont close your eyes and randomly press buttons you'll be fine and amazed at the results.

When i went into the service menu, the color was already at '3C', and changing the tint from 0 to '3' did absolutely nothing to reduce
or fix the red push. Am i missing something here? XP
post #236 of 238 Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the settings W.B. I've been trying to get a decent picture from my 60S30 for a year now. Yours are the closest to satisfying. PQ still not perfect, but a big improvement. Thanks again for helping me get the best I can out of this set.
post #237 of 238 Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 PM

I have a few question about this TV which I have had for over a year or so. Already posted this in the official thread as well. I apologize if it's not ok to ask twice!

1) Does labeling the inputs make a difference in any way? Eg. HDMI 1 to GAME etc... I expect no.

2) Is their a difference in plugging things into either HDMI 1 or 2? They are labeled different. I have a PC in HDMI 1 and XBox in HDMI 2. Neither HDMI is labeled as I said above.

3) The ATI/AMD card I have has detected the TV and set itself as 'default' to Ycbcr 4:4:4. Is this correct for the TV? The PC connected is only used through the TV and only plays TV programs/films. No games.

4) I use the resolution of 720p as I can't read text/internet otherwise. Should I tick or un-tick the option in the ATI/AMD driver for GPU scaling? Currently it is on.

5) I have noticed you guys talking about HDMI content detection. I my UK TV I have this in Setup/Link settings. HDMI content detection Off/Auto. It is off by default. What is it? It's a universal on or off it seems. I could be wrong.

Wonder if it improves picture with PC and XBox? Also would it create more frames lag?

Would be VERY grateful for any suggestions. Thanks all.
post #238 of 238 Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone tell me how to turn off the intelligent frame creation on my TC-P50S30? I've had it for a few years, and all of a sudden now it looks like i've got some motion interpolation going on, but i can't find an option anywhere to disable it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page