Samsung PN59D6500 just got bricked by firmware! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I just bought a new 59" Samsung Plasma (PN59D6500) on Sunday. It has been performing wonderfully until today when I was prompted for a firmware update. Typically upgrading firmware is a wise thing to do when a new version becomes available so I hit update now.

Now the TV just flashed the "Samsung Smart TV" boot-up logo and then goes to a black screen. Then it repeats the cycle. And no, I did not disconnect power or anything like that during the update. In fact, I sat there and watched it do this for about 20 minutes before I came to the conclusion that something went wrong and this wasn't part of the update process (as I've never updated the firmware on the TV before).

I've already talked to support and nothing they had me try fixed the issue. Now I have to wait on a service company to contact me tomorrow. Who knows how long it will take for someone to get out here and look at it. I must say this REALLY sucks.

FYI, support had me try holding the "Exit" button on the remote for 30 seconds (all the while the TV was still doing it's flashing cycle). They also told me to unplug the power cable from the back of the set for 1 minute and then turn it on again.

Anyway, I'm curious to see if anyone has had this happen or knows how to fix it, although I doubt it can be fixed without a service tech at this point. Did anyone successfully update their firmware on this model tv?

Well, thanks. I'm very bummed and kind of upset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM

I am becoming disturbed by this. There are at least two people in the D7000 thread claiming the same issue. At this point I'd suggest all D-series plasma owners to disable the "standby upgrade" function until we learn more about what's happening. There could be some undiscovered issues with this firmware that will be corrected in another update in the near future.
post #3 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. I figured I was alone on this one. The really crappy thing is that my old Samsung 50" DLP had its lamp go out on Saturday morning. I have a 5 year service plan so I get that replaced for free, but didn't want to wait on the technician to make his way out here being without my main tv the entire time. So I figured I'd upgrade to a new tv and get the other one fixed too. Now I'm waiting on TWO technicians.
post #4 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditws6 View Post

I am becoming disturbed by this. There are at least two people in the D7000 thread claiming the same issue. At this point I'd suggest all D-series plasma owners to disable the "standby upgrade" function until we learn more about what's happening. There could be some undiscovered issues with this firmware that will be corrected in another update in the near future.

i receive my 59D7000 Friday. Can you please let me know how to disable it?
post #5 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just got home from work. Same problem here. auto-firmware thing screwed me. About every 30 seconds I see the Samsung SMART tv logo appear for a few seconds, then black. Repeat. Crud.

59D6500

If anyone finds a way to pull out of this loop, please post HERE. Thanks.

#include stdsig.h
post #6 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisler33 View Post

i receive my 59D7000 Friday. Can you please let me know how to disable it?

Hit the tools button on the remote, I think it's called the Shutdown Auto Upgrade or something, probably under a System menu. I'd disable it (if not too late) until you hear an "all clear" on this forum.

#include stdsig.h
post #7 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassedPawn View Post

Hit the tools button on the remote, I think it's called the Shutdown Auto Upgrade or something, probably under a System menu. I'd disable it (if not too late) until you hear an "all clear" on this forum.

thanks
post #8 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I'm sure they have had several calls about this problem, and they still haven't pulled the firmware. What is going on over at Samsung??
post #9 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydphish04 View Post

You know, I'm sure they have had several calls about this problem, and they still haven't pulled the firmware. What is going on over at Samsung??

I just raised an alarm at the Samsung CNET forum. This forum is frequented by Samsung Service reps, so hopefully an answer will rise there.

This doesn't look good at all. I'm hoping I'll be able to download something onto a USB stick, as opposed to waiting for a service group to come to my house.

#include stdsig.h
post #10 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just raised an alarm at the Samsung CNET forum. This forum is frequented by Samsung Service reps, so hopefully an answer will rise there.

This doesn't look good at all. I'm hoping I'll be able to download something onto a USB stick, as opposed to waiting for a service group to come to my house.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to waiting on a tech either. I wasn't even able to schedule one tonight when I was on the phone with them because apparently they couldn't find one in my area at the time (about 15 miles outside of Indianapolis). I really don't want to be without my primary TV for more than a day or two. Come on USB solution!!

Edit: I would contribute to your thread on CNET so they see there are more people with the issue, but it says the thread is locked... or I can't figure out how to add a reply.
post #11 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
This is crazy. How can the same f/w update brick some TVs but not others? Did any of you press a button on the remote or manually power on/off the TV after the installation completed? I remember at one point the TV turned off automatically and turned back on by itself, but it took a while and I was tempted to manually power it on.
post #12 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

This is crazy. How can the same f/w update brick some TVs but not others? Did any of you press a button on the remote or manually power on/off the TV after the installation completed? I remember at one point the TV turned off automatically and turned back on by itself, but it took a while and I was tempted to manually power it on.

I didn't hit anything. In fact, I sat there and watched the "Samsung Smart TV" power on cycle for like 20 minutes because I didn't want to disrupt the update. It said it may show pictures on the screen so I figured maybe those were the pictures it was talking about. After that amount of time, i determined something went wrong.
post #13 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydphish04 View Post

Edit: I would contribute to your thread on CNET so they see there are more people with the issue, but it says the thread is locked... or I can't figure out how to add a reply.

I did not see the lock on that thread. Odd. Please try again. Strength in numbers.

I'm trying to stay calm. I think I might call Best Buy and set up a return just in case... they can figure out how to fix this and I'll just take a new TV.

#include stdsig.h
post #14 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did not see the lock on that thread. Odd. Please try again. Strength in numbers.

I'm trying to stay calm. I think I might call Best Buy and set up a return just in case... they can figure out how to fix this and I'll just take a new TV.

I would like to do the same thing myself. Just need to find a friend with a vehicle large enough to take me up there again. Won't fit in my Camry.
post #15 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM

If i'm not mistaken, I think everyone who got their set bricked have the 59' model?

I have the 51d6900 (Canadian version of the 6500) and the update went fine for me
post #16 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM

At least I know it wasn't just MY tv; also have the PN59D6500 plasma set. Great TV, up until this major screw up on Samsung's programming dept. for putting out a bad firmware update.

Waiting to get a call-back from a technician to set up an appt. for them to come out & fix it as well. What REALLY ticked me off though when I called customer service/tech support ... the lady on the line made a very stupid comment "You should only update firmware via downloading the update file to a USB thumb drive" ... I had to hold myself back from snapping at her for such an ignorant comment. If that's the case, then WHY the hell is there even an auto-update function in the system settings for updates via internet connection? Makes no sense for her to say such a dumb statement like that, geez.

Not to mention the fact that 1. I did not receive a remote control in the box when I initially purchased this at the beginning of April (had to have support send me one in the mail which just arrived yesterday finally), and 2. it also didn't include the printed manual in the box like there should have been.

Let's not forget a primary issue too that the Samsung website doesn't even have these new 2011 models listed on their site; nor in their Support section, so how the hell do they expect us to download firmware updates manually from their site then?

I've always had nothing but good experiences with Samsung, so it saddens me that this time I & the rest of you, have to experience such a cluster-f#$k issue like this due to poor update services.

Hope there is some method to resolve this personally on our ends, rather than wait for a tech to come to each of our homes to repair this heh.
post #17 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post

If i'm not mistaken, I think everyone who got their set bricked have the 59' model?

I have the 51d6900 (Canadian version of the 6500) and the update went fine for me

I have the 51D7000 and mine is bricked as well. Luckily, I just got it as a replacement on the 4th so I'll be taking mine up to BB tonight for an exchange.
post #18 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:40 PM

I have the PN51D6500 model and I am having the same problem. I am highly disappointed in Samsung, I've only had my tv for a week and to top it off my free 3d glasses starter kit just shipped out today...hopefully my tv will be working by the time I get them. Now I'm having second thoughts about keeping this tv because I don't want to have to deal with this in the future if Samsung drops the ball again...worst yet what happens if they send out another update that does the same thing after the warranty period, who is suppose to absorb that cost??
post #19 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

I think the common thread amoung all the failed updates is the "autoupdate"?
post #20 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Did you manually check for update or did the you have auto update on?
post #21 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Oh one thing I wanted to mention as well; in hopes that Samsung reps may SEE this thread, is for Samsung to get their site updated so we owners of new 2011 models can at least REGISTER OUR TVs on the site too. I had to sit in live chat with a cust serv rep for awhile to have him manually register my new TV. He informed me these new models mostly came out this past February right? It's APRIL folks ... no excuses. The site should have been updated by now. Get with the program Samsung & sort this crap out please .
post #22 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

I called the closest Best Buy that still has one in stock, explained my situation, and got them to agree to hold one for me until the store closes on Thursday. Initially, they told me they could not hold a unit for me and I politely asked if he could explain my situation to someone who has the authority to override the policy.

Not even sure I want to hook this one up to my network. Is it possible to turn off the auto-update setting BEFORE hooking up the network? Or is that option grayed out if you haven't set up an internet connection?

And I like the point of who's to say this one happen again when we are out of warranty. THAT would really suck.
post #23 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage00 View Post

I did not use autoupdate. A message popped up saying there was new firmware so I hit "Update Now" or whatever.
post #24 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

OK. Anyone with this problem can skip the live chat help and call the following number. After a brief discussion, they said I'll be contacted within 2 days by an authorized Samsung Service company.

Samsung Customer Care Department: 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) available 24/7

Live chat, while professional and polite, had nothing. Here's my transaction with them so you know what to expect:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Rick S'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Rick S: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Me: I've got a 2011 plasma, model PN59D6500.
Me: Today, firmware upgrade bricked my tv. Keeps cycling the Smart TV logo
Me: I'm aware, from various online forums, that I'm not the only one that this happened to today.
Rick S: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.
Rick S: How do you connect your TV to network (wired or wireless)?
[b]Me[/B: Wired
Rick S: Let's reset the factory settings.
Rick S: Reset the TV by pressing the 'EXIT' button for 30 seconds on the remote control of the TV and facing it towards the TV.
Me: ok
Rick S: Let me know once you are done.
Me: I did that already. Held it for at least 2 minutes. The red LED blinked rapidly, indicating the tv was receiving the IR commands, but nothing changed. The tv continues to cycle the Smart Logo every 30 seconds. (I tried cycling power, then trying this again, but to no avail).
Rick S: Unplug and replug the TV from power and then try to reset the TV.
Me: I just said, I did that already. Completely unplugged from wall for 10 seconds. Then tried the Exit button trick, same problem.
Rick S: If the TV is reset it will turn off autmatically.
Me: The tv did not reset. As soon as I plugged it back in, it started flashing the smart tv logo again. Every 30 seconds.
Me: Is it possible to download firmware on my pc, write to a FAT32-formatted USB stick, and load the firmware onto the tv from that stick?
Rick S: Samsung recommends not to upgrade the firmware on the TV unless you have an issue that the firmware upgrade can fix.
Me: I didn't upgrade anything. I came home from work and it was just doing this.
Me: From forum entries, I see a lot of other folks have the exact same problem, TODAY. It is clearly a firmware upgrade problem that happened automatically.
Rick S: I am sorry, as of now we don't have any reported issues.
Me: Here you go:
Me: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...;forum-threads
Me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328356
Me: Now you do.
Rick S: I am sorry, as you are using the latest model TV, I suggest you contact our Samsung customer care department at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) available 24/7.
Me: Feel free to take a look at those. I'll do as you suggest and call that number. Thanks.
Rick S: I will forward your message to concern department.
Me: Yep, good idea. Thanks Rick S.
Rick S: I appreciate your patience and understanding.
Rick S: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

#include stdsig.h
post #25 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage00 View Post

updated during the initial setup process (brand new tv)
post #26 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM

How does the automatic firmware update work -- does it actually download and install new firmware as it becomes available? Or just it only download it, and then prompt you to install it the next time you power on the TV? Sounds like it is the former, since some of you have reported coming home from work to a bricked TV. I think I read someone say it was the latter. Just trying to clear that up.

Either way, I will be following this with great interest as I was all set to pull the trigger on either a 59" D6500 or D7000 this coming weekend. As of right now, I'm going to hold back and see how this shakes out.

If there are any Samsung reps who monitor these forums, be it known that you had a guaranteed purchase from me that has now turned into a wait-and-see...and while I wait, I will be going back for another look at the Panasonic plasma lineup.

Quote:

Rick S: I am sorry, as of now we don't have any reported issues.
Me: Here you go:
Me: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...;forum-threads
Me: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1328356
Me: Now you do.

Well played, sir.
post #27 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

UPDATE:

My 12-yr-old just came home from soccer practice. He says earlier today, when he turned on the tv, it told him there was a firmware update. He selected OK and within seconds the SMART TV Cycling Problem started. So, I think it is downloading the firmware, then prompting the first person to turn on the tv to start the re-flashing of firmware. he insists he didn't touch anything after he started it.

(funny, he thought it was the PS3 updateing; it does that about ever 2 weeks, and does it much better than the Samsung! So, my boy is well aware of the process)

#include stdsig.h
post #28 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:

UPDATE:

My 12-yr-old just came home from soccer practice. He says earlier today, when he turned on the tv, it told him there was a firmware update. He selected OK and within seconds the SMART TV Cycling Problem started. So, I think it is downloading the firmware, then prompting the first person to turn on the tv to start the re-flashing of firmware. he insists he didn't touch anything after he started it.

(funny, he thought it was the PS3 updateing; it does that about ever 2 weeks, and does it much better than the Samsung! So, my boy is well aware of the process)

Haha... bet he almost pooped himself thinking "OH NO, I just messed up dad's new toy. I better run for it. AHHHHHH!!!" lol
post #29 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

so i shouldnt update my 59" 8000 when it comes?
post #30 of 99 Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:

updated during the initial setup process (brand new tv)

it did it automatically in the initial setup?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn59d6500 59 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Pn59d6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page