post #31 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonriggen View Post

well i'm looking at all 3, not sure with way to go, between st and gt.
Here is my observtions. I think the GT looks better. slimmer look around the box.

I think so too. But i could certainly live with the ST30's bezel - it's a huge improvement over last year's S2 and GT25 bezels.

Quote:

I was told by one guy it has different glass then ST, and VT has the pro glass. Anyone heard this before?

ST and GT both have the same exact glass and AR Filter. VT has a better AR Filter.

Quote:

Another guy told me ST and GT have same glass?

He is correct.

Quote:

I thought the gt had a better picture, but i saw the ST at BB and GT at another store.

The GT30 should have a slightly better picture than the ST30.

Quote:

Question is the VT worth the $500 diff between the GT model?

That's up to the individual, based on their wants and needs and how much value they put on them. Movie buffs would probably be willing to go with the VT30, HD TV watchers maybe not so much.

Quote:

I wish the st had the extra hdmi, and slimmer frame.

You can get an inexpensive 2x1 or 3x1 HDMI switcher for less that $20 to connect your extra/non-critical HDMI devices to one of the three inputs.

Quote:

What is the floating issue you guys are talking about?

It's been dubbed "Fluctuating Brightness" or "Fluctuating Gamma" and seems to be more prevalent on the GT30. There is a thread about it, and it's also discussed heavily in the Official GT30 thread if you want to read up on it.

Quote:

Also, I hear Toshiba use the same tech, and there glasses are more comfy, and work on panny 3d's...might be worth buying on amazon and if they don't return them. When i was watching 3d on panny, the glasses keep flashing a bright light or bright for a second or so, the guy told me the batteries were low...True?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy at the end of July or maybe August. I'm leaning towards the ST but right now the price difference online is less than $200 between the ST and the GT (55" versions of both). If reports of the "FB" keep coming in on the GT I'll probably just grab the ST, but if the price difference is minimal thats just going to make the decision even tougher. I like the looks of the GT better. All my viewing is done in a dark enviroment except during the day when there is minimal light coming into the room. Decisions decisions decisions
post #33 of 39 Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 AM
4ML

Just pulled the trigger on 50ST30 from Amazon for $1145 + free $150 amazon gift card + avatar 3d kit. Seems like a pretty good deal. I checked out both ST30 and GT30 at the store, and didn't notice much difference in the picture quality, though GT30 definitely has better frame and stand. I'm gonna throw it on my wall in my bedroom, so could care less about the stand or the frame.

Hopefully, it can handle the sunlight coming into my bedroom, though I mostly watch it at night. We'll see, it was a deal too good to pass up.
post #34 of 39 Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Just pulled the trigger on 50ST30 from Amazon for $1145 + free $150 amazon gift card + avatar 3d kit. Seems like a pretty good deal. I checked out both ST30 and GT30 at the store, and didn't notice much difference in the picture quality, though GT30 definitely has better frame and stand. I'm gonna throw it on my wall in my bedroom, so could care less about the stand or the frame.

Gee - doesn't seem all that long ago that $1145 for a 50" 1080p Plasma would have been considered a Killer Deal: and WITHOUT the gift card, 3D kit - OR 3D capability for that matter....

Enjoy your new set!
post #35 of 39 Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM

50 Gt's are now $1360 on Amzn plus free 3d glasses + $150 gift card
post #36 of 39 Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Alas, IF we buy this year it will be a 60"-class set - and the price premium for those still seems rather high...
post #37 of 39 Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My biggest concern would be whether I wanted THX or not. That will be a big deal to some.

Also, even a plasma with poor black levels can have deep looking blacks in high lighting. It is in a dark environment where the differences show. During the day my s1 looks like it has inky blacks...but in the dark......

I would also ensure both the ST and GT shared the same color decoding and grayscale outside of THX mode. I know the past few generations had quite a few variances between models. Outside of black levels, a poor grayscale and color decoding would probably be the second most annoying problem.

All this stuff is nearly impossible to see in the store. Personally, in the store, I have a hard time detecting picture quality between BRANDS let alone models.

Having owned 3 generations of Panasonic Plasmas, the above qualities should really be checked by pros and pro reviews before you jump in. Good Luck!
post #38 of 39 Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 AM
4ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Gee - doesn't seem all that long ago that $1145 for a 50" 1080p Plasma would have been considered a Killer Deal: and WITHOUT the gift card, 3D kit - OR 3D capability for that matter....

Enjoy your new set!

I know, right? I was close to buying this set last month for about $1250 without the kit and the gc. I had to go on a vacation, so I decided on wait on it - plus I read on slickdeals that Panasonic is about to offer Avatar 3d kit with TVs.

Can't wait to set it up.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

What about the comparison between GT25 and ST30.Which one has a better 2D Picture Quality ? i don't care about 3D.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page