Panasonic ST30 vs GT30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im trying to decide if I want to get the GT30 or ST30. I really don't know what the actual (3D) picture quality is between them. Is there any? I know the GT30 has THX, Media slot (camera and video card), Computer Input, and More HDMI inputs. But I'm not interested in that. 3D Picture quality does matter. Does any know this information. I want to decide while panasonic is throwing in a free video camera if you buy the ST30. Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelovejoy View Post

Im trying to decide if I want to get the GT30 or ST30. I really don't know what the actual (3D) picture quality is between them. Is there any?

I know the GT30 has THX, Media slot (camera and video card), Computer Input, and More HDMI inputs. But I'm not interested in that. 3D Picture quality does matter. Does any know this information.

Both share the same panel so 3D PQ should be virtually the same as one another. In reading the ST30 thread and GT30 thread i haven't seen anyone reporting any sort of difference in actual 3D performance.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 39 Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
And what about 2D performance? Should pic quality be about same except for lack of THX on ST?
post #4 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM

It's reported that the GT30 has fairly better blacks (.004-6 depending who measured) and thus better contrast, and also has better blacks, and also decently better detail. I would say it's worth the money to upgrade.

But the set has some potential issues, so I highly recommend you give it a little bit before making your final decision.
post #5 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post
It's reported that the GT30 has fairly better blacks (.004-6 depending who measured) and thus better contrast, and also has better blacks, and also decently better detail. I would say it's worth the money to upgrade.

But the set has some potential issues, so I highly recommend you give it a little bit before making your final decision.
I believe that this is all fairly subjective. I have an ST30 and based on what I have seen thus far, the blacks are BLACK!!

I think these measurements are taken way to seriously and am of the opinion that you let your eyes decide, not the numbers.

Choose which TV looks better to you, not what some meter says is better.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #6 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemical360 View Post

I believe that this is all fairly subjective. I have an ST30 and based on what I have seen thus far, the blacks are BLACK!!

I think these measurements are taken way to seriously and am of the opinion that you let your eyes decide, not the numbers.

Choose which TV looks better to you, not what some meter says is better.

I do agree choose what looks better to you, but it's not fairly subjective, there's a science to it (literally), and I can tell the difference between both sets' black levels significantly, and there's a pretty big jump between the two. It's a noticeable difference that's been measured, and mentioned in most of the impressions i've heard, including when both sets were compared side by side.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your ST30 though
post #7 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader182 View Post

I do agree choose what looks better to you, but it's not fairly subjective, there's a science to it (literally), and I can tell the difference between both sets' black levels significantly, and there's a pretty big jump between the two. It's a noticeable difference that's been measured, and mentioned in most of the impressions i've heard, including when both sets were compared side by side.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your ST30 though

Oh, yes of course. That comment was not meant to put down the science of it. In fact, I am studying, researching, and trying to learn the science of it. When I bought my first LCD in 2007, I literally walked into the store and said, give me the best Sammy you have available. They did and I was happy for 4 years.

Now I am sitting at home with a Panny ST30 and with a watchful eye looking for reasons to critique it. But other than the flux issue, I haven't seen any.

My point was merely a way of saying, if one model looks better to you than another, don't base your decision on numbers but rather how you feel. If for instance someone like you can tell the difference in color variance from one model to the next, then of course, things become a little mode involved for you.

That's all. Hopefully I didn't offend.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #8 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I spent some time with the st30 at BB. i had the remote and i played with the settings the 2d pic was nice colors poped even in a store with bad lighting.but the 3d glasseswhere broke. so yesterday i went to another bb and they had it on 3d and it was stunning they has some outdoor demo with a 4x4 truck and people bungie jumping
there was no cross talk or ghosting. iam also in the same boat between this or the gt30 but iam leaning towards the gt30
post #9 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM

I'd say go with the st30. I think panasonic messed up by making the lower end st30 look so great. I dont see any reason you'd buy a gt30 over the st30. I think sales are going to back that up. The gt30 has another hdmi, slimmer, thx mode and other small stuff that the st30 doesn't. But what's important is the 2d and 3d picture and there just isnt any difference to speak of. As far as darker blacks I'm a bit skeptical you'd be able to see it with your eyes. Blacks look great on the st30. In fact the blacks are so dark it's almost unnatural. I've looked at many things in real life lately trying to find something as black as my st30 portrays and I can't find it. In real life you'll find most black things are never that dark. You'd need to be in Antarctica at night time to see anything that black.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash View Post

I'd say go with the st30. I think panasonic messed up by making the lower end st30 look so great. I dont see any reason you'd buy a gt30 over the st30. I think sales are going to back that up. The gt30 has another hdmi, slimmer, thx mode and other small stuff that the st30 doesn't. But what's important is the 2d and 3d picture and there just isnt any difference to speak of. As far as darker blacks I'm a bit skeptical you'd be able to see it with your eyes. Blacks look great on the st30. In fact the blacks are so dark it's almost unnatural. I've looked at many things in real life lately trying to find something as black as my st30 portrays and I can't find it. In real life you'll find most black things are never that dark. You'd need to be in Antarctica at night time to see anything that black.

I agree with this. I have compared and compared and I don't see anything to justify the extra cost. A lot of people with a lot of experience have said that the THX doesn't make a difference and it is a way to tack on extra cost.

The HDMI port? Who here uses more than one maybe two? I think most people nowadays have passthoughs on their receivers and use maybe one, at most two. I have one HDMI cable and one Component cable running to the TV and that is it. Oh, and an Optical cable to use the TV's streaming functions.

As far as PQ, I didn't notice a big difference. But then again, I know there are people out their with more critical eyes than I.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #11 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

After listening to this I have decided to order the 55" ST30. Thanks for all your valuable opinions. I agree that it's almost unnatural for sets to be any blacker at some point. I do understand that lighting in the room makes the blacks a more valuable feature. However, I mostly watch TV at night and am not convinced the difference is worth $700-900. Besides, right now you can buy a Panny ST30 for $1500 (no tax, free shipping) from Amazon and get a free Panny skype cam ($100+) if you buy by April 16th. No free cam with the GT30. I have a baby with family in different states, this would be awesome! In conclusion, I would say if money isn't an issue, get the VT30, however from what I've heard, the ST30 is the best bang for you buck. Thanks again guys!!
post #12 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Just wondering if the people in here saying there's not much difference between ST30 and GT30, have actually COMPARED the two sets side-by-side, or are just spewing rhetoric and going by what they "heard"?
post #13 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XciteMe83 View Post

Just wondering if the people in here saying there's not much difference between ST30 and GT30, have actually COMPARED the two sets side-by-side, or are just spewing rhetoric and going by what they "heard"?

I am guessing there spewing...

PSN: Biggsmooth
post #14 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

I am guessing there spewing...

Untrue. I have compared them at my local Best Buy and in fact, did that just the other day. Granted, I know you are going to say that in store doesn't count because of lighting and environement etc..

However, if both are assumed to be stock settings out of box, in the same lighting, then a good comparison can be done. As was the comparison between the D550 I turned down as well in favor of the ST30.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #15 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Yeah I've seen em both at Fry's and thought the same thing. I also own a 55" st30 so I put my money where my mouth is.

I didn't hear which of the two sets either of you two gentleman purchased or are you just spewin?
post #16 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Untrue. I have compared them at my local Best Buy and in fact, did that just the other day. Granted, I know you are going to say that in store doesn't count because of lighting and environement etc..

However, if both are assumed to be stock settings out of box, in the same lighting, then a good comparison can be done. As was the comparison between the D550 I turned down as well in favor of the ST30.

it was not directed at one person but the thread as a whole.. its a lot of the same info tossed around and around.. I am one that believes in seeing both in YOUR own house to have a fair comparison.. thats what I have always done.

Oilfieldtrash- I will look into the larger sets when they come available..

post #17 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner View Post

it was not directed at one person but the thread as a whole.. its a lot of the same info tossed around and around.. I am one that believes in seeing both in YOUR own house to have a fair comparison.. thats what I have always done.

Oilfieldtrash- I will look into the larger sets when they come available..

I realize that, but I believe mostly everyone has seen the models side by side at some point.

From merely a spec point of view, what does it mean? Well it means to me that Panny through a couple of features to jack the price up.

As far as PQ, not many have the luxury of bringing two sets into their home (at the same time) and not many want to lug a TV back and forth to a store or wait months for delivery back and forth.

To be honest, this is my second in a month. I am honestly considering a D550 if this brightness flux cannot be fixed.

The most common comparison between models is in store, standard settings, what jumps out at you? If you bring it home and it doesn't do it, bring it back, I guess.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #18 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM

I turned off cats and my brightness flux went away. No way in hell I'm returning mine.
post #19 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 AM

Well the PROFESSIONAL calibrators and display experts at Value Electronics, have said themselves that the GT30 has DEEPER blacks and better motion handling than the ST30. So guess what? I'll take their word over yours.
post #20 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I realize that, but I believe mostly everyone has seen the models side by side at some point.

From merely a spec point of view, what does it mean? Well it means to me that Panny through a couple of features to jack the price up.

As far as PQ, not many have the luxury of bringing two sets into their home (at the same time) and not many want to lug a TV back and forth to a store or wait months for delivery back and forth.

To be honest, this is my second in a month. I am honestly considering a D550 if this brightness flux cannot be fixed.

The most common comparison between models is in store, standard settings, what jumps out at you? If you bring it home and it doesn't do it, bring it back, I guess.

I understand your point completely and the post I made about spewing was not towards you or oilfieldtrash.. it was made in general. Also the Best Buy comparison really does not, for me at least, seem to be useful unless they turn the lights off, feed it Blu-ray and let me mess with settings. I know its a pain to bring 2 tvs home but for what your paying it does not seem like that big of a deal to me. Some places have return policies.. Right now I have a 58v10 and will buy a 65 vt-30 if its worth it. Right now I still love my TV and was so happy I bought it. The vt-25 was not a big enough update and floating blacks would floor me. I will wait to see the reviews then go to shop to where I can see it in its best performing environment.

post #21 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Well the PROFESSIONAL calibrators and display experts at Value Electronics, have said themselves that the GT30 has DEEPER blacks and better motion handling than the ST30. So guess what? I'll take their word over yours.

Please do. I am not suggesting you should take my word over theirs. Never claimed to be an expert unlike most people on this forum... I gave my opinion in defense of the implication that some of us that gave opinions were spewing. NOT saying that towards anyone in particular.

I cannot tell a difference. That was the question, and I gave that opinion.

I am starting to regret joining these forums. The arrogance most the members here display is disturbing at the very least. I think most people around here need to get laid and relax some.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #22 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most important aspect of a TV on these forums is blacks levels. So if people are asking if the price is worth it to buy a gt-30 I would say yes..

post #23 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash View Post

I turned off cats and my brightness flux went away. No way in hell I'm returning mine.

Unfortunately, it didn't fix mine.

I turned it off and it didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

Xbox Live=chemical360
PSN=chemical360
post #24 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Oh really? I wonder if value electronics has a vested interest in you buying the more expensive set? Me personally I'm just a guy who wanted a tv and stumbled across the madness that is Avsforum plasma forum. I don't care which you buy. I bought my tv exclusively for watching sports. There is no better test than a live sports game that I know of. My st30 has performed flawlessly. Believe me I've watched for motion smoothness. If there was any sign of blur the tv would be back at the store and I'd have a vt25 in my house. I've picked my st30 apart and in the end it's just a damn good tv. My wife even told me to get the 54" vt25. After glasses kit and taxes we were looking at near $3,000. The vt25 was a visual step up. The gt30 just wasnt any different to me. I don't think anyone in their right mind could really tell you with a straight face that the gt is worth the extra $700+. It was a tough decision between the vt25 and the st30. The cheaper side of me won out and in the end I have no regrets. Watching my tv is an absolute joy.
post #25 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM

The ST30 is for the normal customer and the GT30 is for the AV enthusist that isn't willing to spring for the VT30. A typical customer won't notice much of a difference, it's mostly just a better black level. The TVs are very similar.

At least for me, deeper blacks (the only value add of the GT30 for me) aren't worth $400-500 extra but for some people it is I will say, the floating brightness has been seen a lot more in the GT30 compared with the ST30s so it's a little less risky of a purchase as well if you go for the ST30.

So basically, for the typical customer a ST30 will do. If you have higher standards and are coming from a high quality panel, you may find it useful to spring for the GT30.
post #26 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Just wanted to pipe in and say that I'm a very happy ST30 customer. I love my t.v.!

However, I did have to return a defective one, first.
post #27 of 39 Old 04-15-2011, 04:42 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

The HDMI port? Who here uses more than one maybe two? I think most people nowadays have passthoughs on their receivers and use maybe one, at most two. I have one HDMI cable and one Component cable running to the TV and that is it.

I am currently using three HDMI devices on both my primary and secondary TV, and i now need a 4th HDMI on the primary TV (i'm currently using the two rear inputs, then i have a Gefen 2x1 switcher to combine the other two HDMI devices on my #3/side HDMI input.

And using an A/V Receiver as a switcher isn't always ideal because any external devices that run through the receiver will have to also share whatever picture mode and picture settings you've set up for that one HDMI input. In my case, my HD Tivo, 8300HD, and upconverting DVD Player all require their own specific picture settings on their respective HDMI inputs. When i was running two or three devices through my AVR one or two of them didn't look as good with the shared settings.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #28 of 39 Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone found any deals on 3D glasses for Panasonic? Quality is definitely an issue as I heard the XPand X103's are the only 3rd party glasses that come close to having factory standards. The new Panasonic glasses have a wider frame blocking out more light. Those would seem ideal. There just so damn expensive. I need 5 for my family and I feel like if I purchase them at the prices I've been seeing, I'd be buying a new TV. Any answers to this problem? Deals going on? Any help would be most appreciated. I just got a new Panasonic TCP55ST30 and am dying to test out the 3D.
post #29 of 39 Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:

i think most people around here need to get laid and relax some.

lmao
post #30 of 39 Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM

well i'm looking at all 3, not sure with way to go , $300 buck diff between st and gt.
Here is my observtions. I think the GT looks better, slimer look around the box. I was told by one guy it has different glass then ST, and VT has the pro glass. Anyone heard this before? Another guy told me ST and GT have same glass?
I thought the gt had a better picture, but i saw the ST at BB and GT at another store.
I thought the setting were the same. (but maybe that is my eyes from seeing so many)
Questionis the VT worth the $500 diff between the GT model?
the new 60" st is coming out, was quoted 1950.
I wish the st had the extra hdmi, and slimmer frame.
What is the floating issue you guys are talking about?
Also, I hear Toshiba use the same tech, and there glasses are more comfy, and work on panny 3d's...might be worth buying on amazon and if they don't return them.
When i was watching 3d on panny, the glasses keep flashing a bright light or bright for a second or so, the guy told me the batteries were low...True?
thanks for the help
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page