Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I have had my TV for one week and have watched a total of 5 movies and 4 Hockey games. My settings are as fallows :

Cell Light - 13
Contrast - 64
Color - 51
Gamma - 0
Brightness - 48

I have not seen a single brightness pop and I have been looking very close for them. Someone said they get a lot of them when watching hockey but out of the four games I watched, I didn't see any at all. I also put in my Inception BluRay the other night and played the snow scene about 5 times looking for the brightness to start fluctuating. It never did. The brightness/contrast stayed the exact same. The only information I can give that may be able to help (doubt it will) is that I have every single advanced option/picture option at it's standard setting or turned off. Who needs all that extra crap like dynamic contrast when you have a TV capable of producing this good of a picture.

lucky man..
I wonder if my set is faulty or people doesn's see it... my store run out of 51d450, but I can switch my set for 51d490.. bit more expensive [I don't like 3d] but 3rd hdmi is very nice

which set you guys exactly have ?
I have
ps51d450A2WXBT
vesion 1 !!! I read some ppl have version 2, mabey is this the problem ?
firmware 1024.1 [from factory]

please help me to identify the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLzone View Post

The reason people are recommending the high cell light is that you have to reduce the contrast and brightness so much to remove the brightness pops that cell light remains the only real option to brighten up the picture.

To the people that think this is just ABL - it's not. I own 2 Samsung Plasmas. A 2010 58D590 and a 2011 59D6500. The 590 does not exhibit the brightness pops.

I've tried to capture it on video, but because the camera constantly auto adjusts the brightness it makes it really hard to tell whether it's actually the TV changing brightness or the camera.

as I said I think it's not the ABL too
Old 10-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Liked: 14
I am higly annoyed by these pops now that I have them. I really had absolutely no annoying pops until I did the firmware update. I'm sure many were getting the pops before any update. but for me there were no noticable pops until I got the update.
Now its terrible, I'm shocked how bad it is, it VERY noticable.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Hey guys!

On the Danish Samsung site, new FW has been released!

Actually, there are two (2!) new FW editions: 1025.0 and 1005.0.

I have no idea what these two do, if anything, but I don't know which one to try. Is 1005 the original FW, so people can revert their tvs to the factory state?

Right now I am running FW 1024.0 on my PS59D555 and I have the pops as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

1st Post!

I'm looking at getting the PN59D8000 or the UN55D8000. I really want the plasma since I watch sports a lot but don't want this issue as well as the potential burn in problems. What are your suggestions?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg1978 View Post

1st Post!

I'm looking at getting the PN59D8000 or the UN55D8000. I really want the plasma since I watch sports a lot but don't want this issue as well as the potential burn in problems. What are your suggestions?

I understand, it's you 1st post and all, but this is not the right place to ask. You should create a new thread for your inquiry.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDream View Post

Hey guys!

On the Danish Samsung site, new FW has been released!

Actually, there are two (2!) new FW editions: 1025.0 and 1005.0.

I have no idea what these two do, if anything, but I don't know which one to try. Is 1005 the original FW, so people can revert their tvs to the factory state?

Right now I am running FW 1024.0 on my PS59D555 and I have the pops as well.

I tried 1025 it's feresh new fw from today, and it doesn't do a **** about brightness pops..:[[[[
TV doesn't want to accept 1005 fw

so nothing change, still huge pops and unhappy customer...

I'll change my set [ d450 ] to d490, but I think nothing won't change
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM

is there anybody who saw two sets of same model and one has brightness pops, second none ?

I think it's the way to confirm if it's vary set to set or depends on individual perception..
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajhaj View Post

is there anybody who saw two sets of same model and one has brightness pops, second none ?

I think it's the way to confirm if it's vary set to set or depends on individual perception..

Both of them calibrated equally with the same light output would be crucial too (of, course).

Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:

i have 6 model D450's and they all exhibit the "brightness pops"

i have a PC set up and it is very easy to see happen when a large white area is moved from one screen to the next.

dr
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demachina View Post

i have 6 model D450's and they all exhibit the "brightness pops"

i have a PC set up and it is very easy to see happen when a large white area is moved from one screen to the next.

dr

so there is basicaly no chance to get a good one

thnx for the answer.

I was thinking about switching for d490, because I really like the picture of this set, but I won't, pops are unbearable..
Old 10-22-2011, 04:17 PM

I live on the UK and my PS64D8000 pops all the time, its a real shame as if this was sorted out the TV would be amazing but having grey blacks is too distracting to ignore. Samsung take note and release an update to fix this MAJOR issue with your panels!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut View Post

video of Q & A at hdtv shootout 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWb_AZ_31w

Yeah I'm sure he got right on that...
Old 10-23-2011, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I havn't seen a set with the brightness pops but I will say that I am very very anal when it comes to my TV's picture. My wife was so pissed off when I had the 7000 LED because everything we watched, I was constantly messing around with picture settings. I couldn't get the picture perfect on the damn thing. I ended up having to calibrate it in Game Mode to even remotely look natural. It seemed that every calibration I did in movie mode gave to much depth to the picture.

I'm not saying I am a videophile by any means but I know what to look for when it comes to a picture. I am being 100% honest when I say there are absolutely no brightness pops on my 59D7000. If there was, I would have taken it back to Best Buy since they have a 30 day no questions asked exchange policy.

Maybe I could take a video for you guys. Just let me know which scene in a movie you want to see and I will try my best to make a video of it.

Just for your information. My TV is a version Y504 and came with the latest Firmware pre-loaded.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 AM

Liked: 11
I personally owned a 59d550 and it popped. I exchanged it for a 59d6500 that popped as well. The floor model of the 59d7000 also popped. Guess what? I ended up getting a plasma anyway, but not from sammy!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM

thnx to all for answers..
I called to my local store and ordered switch to panny50g30 ..
brightness pops are worse with time (or I notice them more) and very very distracting. Even my girlfriend said that it's distracting and she doesn't like this set.
She'll buy some TV to her flat and she said that she definetely doesn't want to buy any samsung after this experience [I told her it's common "feature" of 2011 series]

I'm from europe, I'll get g30y, so I hope I'll be able to fix the FB with fw upgrade..

2Marco79f: which one did you get ?
Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

thnx to all for answers..
I called to my local store and ordered switch to panny50g30 ..
brightness pops are worse with time (or I notice them more) and very very distracting. Even my girlfriend said that it's distracting and she doesn't like this set.
She'll buy some TV to her flat and she said that she definetely doesn't want to buy any samsung after this experience [I told her it's common "feature" of 2011 series]

I'm from europe, I'll get g30y, so I hope I'll be able to fix the FB with fw upgrade..

2Marco79f: which one did you get ?

My first 60GT30 was a May build. The unit had FBR issues and weird flickering on shadows as well as a dead pixel. I exchanged it and received an August build with no FBR no green blob and no dead Pixels. I am so happy. As far as the fbr on the gt they are much better than the samsung. On the sammy the pops they were ridiculosly annoingon the 2 sammys I owned. The fbr on the gt seemed almost a feature of the set and did not bother me at all....theyt were very minor.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:

I have 2-P59D8000 's ... 1 did, 1 didn't, I swapped locations, neither one has the issue now, go figuire
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM

Liked: 13
What about a power supply problem ?

My PS51D550 is on a 1100VA UPS , the 2 big magnets are on the power câble, no brightness pops here.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post

What about a power supply problem ?

My PS51D550 is on a 1100VA UPS , the 2 big magnets are on the power câble, no brightness pops here.

Those aren't magnets, they're ferrite cores.

And it's not like we live in a 3rd world country, the electricity in the US is quite good. So I'd have a hard time believing that's the issue.

-SiGGy
Old 10-23-2011, 10:27 AM

It was just an idea reading Palmgrower post.

My set is " version 2 ", August 2011, so that's perhaps the reason of the no pops.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco79f View Post

My first 60GT30 was a May build. The unit had FBR issues and weird flickering on shadows as well as a dead pixel. I exchanged it and received an August build with no FBR no green blob and no dead Pixels. I am so happy. As far as the fbr on the gt they are much better than the samsung. On the sammy the pops they were ridiculosly annoingon the 2 sammys I owned. The fbr on the gt seemed almost a feature of the set and did not bother me at all....theyt were very minor.

thnx man
I watched some videos with FBr issue on pannys and it looks like sammy dynamic cr feature
I hope I'll have luck and get good set
It costs about twice as d450, I hope it's gonna be worthy but I don't expect any significant difference in PQ [full hd looks same as hd ready from certian distrance for me]
but I can't live with pops [acceptable on usual SD, but films with higher cr and black bars are pain] and there is no substitute for d450 [only 1024x768 panny isn't acceptable and LG is not good for gaming IR and Inplag]
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNash View Post

It was just an idea reading Palmgrower post.

My set is " version 2 ", August 2011, so that's perhaps the reason of the no pops.

I also have a August build without the brightness pop issue. My version is Y504. Is this the same version you have?

I know for a fact there is no brightness pops on this set. I watch hockey almost every single night and in the beginning, I did nothing but look for brightness pops. If I would have seen them I would have taken the set back to Best Buy since they have a 30 day return policy.

If anything would show brightness pops, you would think it would be a hockey game with all that white in the background.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I also have a August build without the brightness pop issue. My version is Y504. Is this the same version you have?

Where do you see this Y504 number ?

On my set, there is a second sticker, on the left side at the back.

On this sticker, there is model code, serial number and version number, version just show number 2.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM

from what I read I really wonder if VERSION 2 solves the problem.

thruth is I have Version 1 and pops alot
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnash View Post

where do you see this y504 number ?

On my set, there is a second sticker, on the left side at the back.

On this sticker, there is model code, serial number and version number, version just show number 2.

+1
Old 10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Samsung just released v1025.0 for the MSTAR CPU based EU models (like your D555 or my D550). I will install it and report back (I hope zero improvements but who knows...).

Edit: I found a changelog, it mentions minor DVB-S tuner related bugfixes for Belgian and UK users, nothing interesting or useful.

Edit2:

Oh my God! I can't believe my own eyes, but I think the dynamic TRC scaling is GONE!

ABL still works though, and it does affect the gamma when it limits the brightness, but the gray-scale seems to be stable otherwise (the "black pops" are gone)!

The "Dynamic Brightness" test video shows a stable gray gradient if I tune down my Cell Light to the point when ABL doesn't limit the overall brightness with the full screen bright (near-white) backgrounds. And there is no difference between black and middle-gray backgrounds with higher (~15) Cell Light either.

So, ABL is still here (and will remain here forever...), but the gamma is stable until it starts limiting the peak brightness. So users can still expect some "bright pops" on bright scenes like winter sports with a lot of white snow. But no more "brightened up grays"!

BUT IT NEEDS MORE TESTING!!!
I didn't measure anything yet. It's just my first subjective impression! (May be it's still here and only the magnitude changed or it depends on my other settings because I recently made some changes in the Top Debug Menu...)

Edit3: Sorry, I tested it with CinemaSmooth, I can still notice some dynamic adjustments with 60Hz. When the MLL jumps, dark grays follow (CinemaSmooth has more stable MLL).

You should really consider deleting this post. CinemaSmooth has always gotten rid of the pops. You could really mislead someone that doesn't read to the end of your post.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

You should really consider deleting this post. CinemaSmooth has always gotten rid of the pops. You could really mislead someone that doesn't read to the end of your post.

Done because I agree that it requires further testing by more users.

But...

- I did saw fluctuations in the past with CinemaSmooth! (It was very disturbing when I watched Gangs of New York from Blu-Ray. Dark scenes often changed to milky grays and back.)

- I believe there is no problem with 60Hz either. The only thing I noticed when I looked for "brightness pops" (since the update) was the "floating blacks" effect. I didn't see if the dark colors become brighter, only the MLL got brighter which felt like flickering. But it was very hard to notice when I used my hands to cover the black bars around the 2.35:1 movie picture (again, only the completely black areas jumped).

1: "Floating blacks" won't be fixed on these TVs. I am very sure about that. (I don't think a firmware can do anything about that, even if a possible solution would be to fix the MLL on it's maximum point. It's more likely a low-level panel driver thing, not a main-board software stuff.)

2: The Average Brightness Limiter won't be turned off. (Same as above. Probably impossible to do with a simple main-board software + other hard reasons...)

-> I think the problem (which I cared and blamed about) was that "Dynamic Contrast" wasn't really turned OFF when you set it to OFF but it seems they fixed it now.

I have to wait and watch some movies with very dark and very bright scenes to say it for sure, but I believe my TV works properly since I applied the last software update for it.

Yes, it still "pops", but it's much less noticeable than before and probably can't be "fixed".
And yes, it will always "pop" with very bright scenes and high Cell/Contrast settings when ABL cuts back the peak brightness and also with very-dark scenes where MLL rises.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Cinemasmooth does not eliminate the brightness pops! I really wish people would use proper sense and not jump to conclusions on a 5 minute evaluation. UNLESS, Samsung quality control, once again churns out unique sets with incomparable adjustments and various differing components - u never know.

Allow me to set some simple baselines around evaluation. Bright hockey games are not the way to test this. The pops are best observed watching 2:35 movies due to the clear cut jump in black bar brightness during viewing. This is repeatable, rewind to point where you saw a pop, and on a dime it will happen in the same place, each and every time.

Try Cinemasmooth on/off for days before making claims that bla bla bla does/doesn't pop.

I'm giving gamemode a shot, will report back after a prolonged period.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am using game mode and still see them but they are much shorter in duration and more difficult to see... but not gone.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.