Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 25 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've contacted Samsung support here in Denmark, and once I convinced them that I HAD tried everything possible, i.e. reset, picture setting, bla bla, they told me that there's nothing they can do but to send a technician.

Big help! I know that the tech guy really can't do anything, and I really don't want to waste any more time on this matter. Not right now anyway. There are other important things in life...

Hopefully another FW fix will come out, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Liked: 12
Janos good for you !!!!!!!!!!!! and for all you "trying" to let Sammy know about this problem. Maybe they will minimize the issue with the future f/w.

At least they should allow us to flash it with the previous/older firmware versions.

I have untill the end of this week to decide if I should keep my 59D550 (us version) and go for panny 50st30 set...

Other than "pops" I love my TV !!! shame on Sammy...
post #723 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

To be honest Clark, I think we are over the „let Samsung know” period a very long time ago. I think we are in the final stage of the „hope they do anything”.

I watched some movies since a full re-calibration with the v1026 software. And I couldn't ignore the floating blacks and the low contrast feeling when the black was at it's high levels.
I can't remember if the contrast ever felt this low with the old softwares. So, in my opinion, the last software is a FAIL, not a FIX, and thus I lost the hope in the „coming fixes”. I think it's too late to trust in this anymore. (The disappearance of the Facebook page is another bad sign of the many... and CES 2012 is comeing...)

I wrote the E-mail to ask questions. I asked them if they have a plan about how to to fix the problem and give me an ETA if they have any. And I also asked what they can say in case they don't have a plan („alternative solutions” - may be money back or a free upgrade for an equivalent 2012 model - I don't know, I didn't give them any ideas, I just asked questions after I described the problem... But unfortunately I know how to ask questions like a lowyer would do in situations like this, so I hope they will get the idea....).

But don't take it as a direct answer to your question. If they THEORETICALLY would give my money back tomorrow, I think I would buy a cheap used LCD until the 2012 models come out. (I wouldn't rush for a Pana S/G(T)30 - color decoding problems...) and search for a used Kuro if 2012 isn't better than 2011.

And yah, I also like many things about this TV (good image processing, nice motion handling, good overall value for the money, etc...).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #724 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

To be honest Clark, I think we are over the „let Samsung know” period a very long time ago. I think we are in the final stage of the „hope they do anything”.

I watched some movies since a full re-calibration with the v1026 software. And I couldn't ignore the floating blacks and the low contrast feeling when the black was at it's high levels.
I can't remember if the contrast ever felt this low with the old softwares. So, in my opinion, the last software is a FAIL, not a FIX, and thus I lost the hope in the „coming fixes”. I think it's too late to trust in this anymore. (The disappearance of the Facebook page is another bad sign of the many... and CES 2012 is comeing...)

I wrote the E-mail to ask questions. I asked them if they have a plan about how to to fix the problem and give me an ETA if they have any. And I also asked what they can say in case they don't have a plan („alternative solutions” - may be money back or a free upgrade for an equivalent 2012 model - I don't know, I didn't give them any ideas, I just asked questions after I described the problem... But unfortunately I know how to ask questions like a lowyer would do in situations like this, so I hope they will get the idea....).

But don't take it as a direct answer to your question. If they THEORETICALLY would give my money back tomorrow, I think I would buy a cheap used LCD until the 2012 models come out. (I wouldn't rush for a Pana S/G(T)30 - color decoding problems...) and search for a used Kuro if 2012 isn't better than 2011.

And yah, I also like many things about this TV (good image processing, nice motion handling, good overall value for the money, etc...).

Before I returned my 64D8000 a couple of weeks ago, I had submitted a polite question about a fix for the FB on the Q/A thread for the display on Samsung's site. All of the questions submitted are screened before submitted and mine was never posted. This, the fact David Katzmaier has presumably heard nothing since asking about a fix, and the Facebook Page being removed, I suppose Samsung has decided to pretend the issue does not exist.

post #725 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Someone threaten them at gunpoint. That ought to solve our problems.
post #726 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

A private army would probably do it but I guess one good lawyer would be more efficient for this task.

By the way, what was the outcome of the Panasonic rising black lawsuit?
Edit: Ah, just as I though, it got rejected...

post #727 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Had the PN64D8000 for a couple of weeks...Haven't noticed anything during any HD or SD content even though I've been looking. Only time I see any kind of brightness "pops" are initially when I switch to or from Smarthub.
post #728 of 2249 Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

To be honest Clark, I think we are over the let Samsung know period a very long time ago. I think we are in the final stage of the hope they do anything.

I can't remember if the contrast ever felt this low with the old softwares. So, in my opinion, the last software is a FAIL, not a FIX, and thus I lost the hope in the coming fixes. I think it's too late to trust in this anymore. (The disappearance of the Facebook page is another bad sign of the many... and CES 2012 is comeing...)

I wrote the E-mail to ask questions. I asked them if they have a plan about how to to fix the problem and give me an ETA if they have any. And I also asked what they can say in case they don't have a plan (alternative solutions - may be money back or a free upgrade for an equivalent 2012 model - I don't know, I didn't give them any ideas, I just asked questions after I described the problem... But unfortunately I know how to ask questions like a lowyer would do in situations like this, so I hope they will get the idea....).

Janos, thanks... so what am I supposed to do now...??? I did test TV tonight for 2 hours straight with Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead, both shows excellent for testing this kind of problem. I noticed "pops" in both, also since it is in my head "I'm looking for them" instead of enjoying them. These pops were not that bad, but if I had to use this TV every night, I think I would be upset as most of you guys. Then I switched to HDTV hockey broadcast and I believe most of the flashes are like said before camera flashes bouncing off ice surface, but if I'm not mistaken under this flashes I could see some brightness fluctuating. I had the feeling comparing to my LG LCD that there were more "flashing" going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Before I returned my 64D8000 a couple of weeks ago, I had submitted a polite question about a fix for the FB on the Q/A thread for the display on Samsung's site. All of the questions submitted are screened before submitted and mine was never posted. This, the fact David Katzmaier has presumably heard nothing since asking about a fix, and the Facebook Page being removed, I suppose Samsung has decided to pretend the issue does not exist.

This SUCKS... I'm still on the fence about returning this SOB, but the more I think about it I think I should. I know Panny ST has its flaws but I think it is lesser evil out of the two. At least Panny came out to fix its Fbrs issues. Sammy looks like they are done for this year and they are getting ready for next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbill View Post

Had the PN64D8000 for a couple of weeks...Haven't noticed anything during any HD or SD content even though I've been looking. Only time I see any kind of brightness "pops" are initially when I switch to or from Smarthub.

If you don't see it, don't look for it...
post #729 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

This SUCKS... I'm still on the fence about returning this SOB, but the more I think about it I think I should. I know Panny ST has its flaws but I think it is lesser evil out of the two. At least Panny came out to fix its Fbrs issues. Sammy looks like they are done for this year and they are getting ready for next year...

That's true, but I ended up returning my Panasonic 65VT30 too. lol That display had color uniformity issues and terrible image retention that was burn-in waiting to happen. However, I still found that more acceptable to watch vs Fb.

It's really ashame because if Samsung could fix this problem, this display would have no real issues!

post #730 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It's really ashame because if Samsung could fix this problem, this display would have no real issues!

Fix my FBr and buzzing, and it's just a few shadow details and black levels away from near perfection!
post #731 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post

I'm very frustrated here with my north american 59d550. I had no noticable pops whatsoever on this panel. I even voted no in this poll. Then one day I decided to update FW and now the pops are here and they are INCREDIBLY annoying. The FW that my panel had from the very start was fine, but with this new FW my TV is awful.

Even my girlfriend annoyed by the pops and she rarely notices these types of things.

Oh boy, now that you mention it, I think I'm having the same exact experience with my D7000 (including my otherwise clueless gf noticing!!). I'm not absolutely certain, but I have seen WAY more pops during my evening bluray screenings that I had previously.

Recently upgraded fw from 1010 to 1013 because I was about to try out 3D. I knew I should have just let well enough alone.

Boy do I wish I could flash it back to 1010 to confirm.
post #732 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM

I've been following this issue (on this forum and others) and I don't have high hopes for Geek Squad's fix scheduled for next week, swapping out the mainboard, considering that others have had the same service with no change to the FB issue. Besides this sometimes constant, sometimes absent annoyance the Sammy D8000 is a beautiful set. I've got the Blu-ray of "Tree of Life" on now and the picture is simply breathtaking (the movie too!). There is FB at the very beginning but nowhere else in the film (surprising).

Some folks have suggested Cinema Smooth for Blu-rays to reduce the FB, which I discovered to make a significant and positive difference, though the accompanying increased buzzing is an issue in quieter films. As a result I leave Cinema Smooth off unless the FB is insane.

Part of me is thinking I should just cancel Geek Squad's next service visit and sit tight with fingers crossed for a FW update from Samsung. The dropping of the related Facebook page and other avoidance activities by Samsung tells me what it has told others: this is not going to be fixed, period. That being said, I'm hanging on to this set, the fearsome beauty outweighs the floating brightness!

We just have to ride the picture menu like motocross pros when FB rears it's ugly head. I find I can minimize it (never eliminating it) with some aggressive on-the-fly picture adjustments (contrast, cell light, gamma, etc.).

Maybe Samsung will give us all an unexpected present at the end of the year in the form of a fix, until then... Good luck to us all, and good viewing!

This thread and site are fantastic! Thanks to everyone for all their input and help.
post #733 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

There is one thing I don't understand... Which solution is cheaper for Samsung?
1: A technician comes out to investigate. He comes back a few days later and swaps the mainboard. The problem is stil there, so he comes out at a third time to swap the plasma panel and the logic board. The problem is still there, so may be he replaces the power supply (or not, it may depends on the individual how far he wishes to go...)
2: A technician comes out to investigate. He takes the TV with him, gives my money back and Samsung sells the TV as „refurbished” or gives it to a shop to be used as a demo unit and later sold as a such.

Open box products sell cheaper but whats the cost of the human work + replacement parts + angry consumer who will probably ignore Smsung PDPs for a while (and may be tell about it to his friends...)?

post #734 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is one thing I don't understand... Which solution is cheaper for Samsung?
1: A technician comes out to investigate. He comes back a few days later and swaps the mainboard. The problem is stil there, so he comes out at a third time to swap the plasma panel and the logic board. The problem is still there, so may be he replaces the power supply (or not, it may depends on the individual how far he wishes to go...)
2: A technician comes out to investigate. He takes the TV with him, gives my money back and Samsung sells the TV as refurbished or gives it to a shop to be used as a demo unit and later sold as a such.

Open box products sell cheaper but whats the cost of the human work + replacement parts + angry consumer who will probably ignore Smsung PDPs for a while (and may be tell about it to his friends...)?

+1

Precisely the reason I'll be bugging them until they send someone out to diagnose, and I'll keep bugging them so long as my warranty permits! EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS. If we keep hitting them in their pockets, maybe there will come a time where they will take this issue seriously.
post #735 of 2249 Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

I must say, this is a little disappointing. I was looking to get a 60" plasma (upgrading from a 47" LCD) and had settled on the Samsung based on the David's CNET reviews.

Now after reading about the this issue and the VT30 issues I am trying to decide if I should get wait another year before upgrading.
post #736 of 2249 Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM

I picked up a 59D550 a week and a half ago and it worked great. For one day. The TV stopped reading all of my HDMI inputs. I received a replacement 3 days later.

I just don't know what to do about these brightness pops. I'll put on The Lion King in 3D-it looks better than just about anything I've ever seen, jaw dropping. Then I'll watch Drive Angry 3D, with brightness pops so frequent and jarring it makes the film almost unwatchable, despite it's crystal clear image.

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D-looks brilliant. Ice Age Dawn of The Dinosaurs 3D-pop-ups galore.

I'm having a constant battle in my head over this. Still have 3 weeks to exchange it for the same model (which according to everyone on here doesn't seem to help) or get a refund. I love this TV, but the brightness pops may be bordering on unacceptable.

Like most of you I've tried every setting imaginable to try and resolve this.

As much of a hassle it is, I am going to have a movie marathon this week, watch as many as I can with a pen and paper and write down how many pops I notice for each movie. Based on the average number of brightness pops per movie, I will decide if I am going to keep it.

The fact that I feel I even have to do this is ridiculous, I know.

I plan on watching the following movies from beginning to end and write down how many instances of brightness pop per film ASAP:

Alice In Wonderland
Rio
The Lion King
Tangled
Megamind
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Toy Story 3
Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs
Meet The Robinsons
Imax: Grand Canyon
Imax: Hubble
Mars Needs Moms

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I am feeling very nervous about it.
post #737 of 2249 Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 AM

Liked: 14
I sent an e-mail to Samsung support about this problem and got there caned answers for it. Like the Eco sensor is turned on, try a different source and the all famous do a factory reset. There next step was for me to put in a service ticket so someone can come look at it. The problem I have with this is I have seen others on this forum get panels and boards replaced and still have the problem. What to do?
post #738 of 2249 Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

I think I found another reason why I recently stopped loving my TV: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1512
I am not sure what may cause this, but the color precision is significantly worse than it was some months ago. I can't get accurate colors out of this TV, no matter if I try to use the internal or any external CMS (or the combination of the two). I have relatively huge dE errors.
I think it made a part in my current mood that I don't wish to tolerate the device behavior anymore. (I just didn't know the colors are also really worse. I thought my bad feeling is based on the low contrast and the flashing blacks...)

post #739 of 2249 Old 11-25-2011, 11:47 AM

edited for coding syntax. see below
post #740 of 2249 Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMM. View Post

Corporate BS! You must be on Samsung's payroll to post this because most of the people here know better........

No Im not on Samsungs payroll. I have the same problem as everybody else on here. Sorry for being optimistic in hopes that we (myself included) may some day have an update that addresses the issue since we're still in warranty but done with the 30 day period. Its pointless to sit and complain to each other. Leave a bad review on the web, start another facebook group, nag the csr on teh phone, dont insult me because youre frustrated in your $3000 paperwieght. To set it straight for any other hot-head.....I've left reivews for this tv on several websites that tell people about the issue. I've also joined the facebook group "My Samsung 2011 HDTV Flashes Me Constantly (Defective!) " but the group has since vanished. you can find teh remnants online. reviews on the web never go away. and a bad rep spreads like wildfire so thats how to get something done not complaining to other people that have the problem, AMM
post #741 of 2249 Old 11-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

I watched Moon tonight and I couldn't ignore the fluctuating black luminance. So, when I finished the movie, I muted the sound, placed my spectro to the lower black bar and I started to play with the seek bar while I look at the readings.

I could pick up some scenes with 0.04 , 0.05 , 0.07 , 0.09 , 0.10 cd/m^2 (never in between these discrete points and I couldn't catch a scene in this movie with 0.12 - the highest I ever measured with a specific test pattern...)

But there is a tiny problem with repeatability. I saved two screenshots for each of the five black luminance scenarios. When I started to measure these static images (starting from 0.04 ones) I didn't get any higher readings than 0.07

First I thought the error is in my spectro (like be the black calibration went out very fast, etc...).
But I was sure I saw the difference with my eyes, so I started the playback again and I easily caught some scenes with 0.10 again. Ok, I saved new screenshots. But when I tried to measure those screenshots, the readings were 0.07 again.

So, it seems like there are some thresholds in both directions. If you hit a point where the black goes as high as 0.10, then it remains that high until there is a bigger change. I think it's a safety wall against crazy flickering (like jumping up-down-up-down... many times in just a few seconds...) And it proved to be hard to catch a frame which triggers the 0.10 black luminance. But it's there and if you play the movie you will have 0.10 blacks many times (because it's not too hard to trigger and once it's that high, then it possibly remains there until you hit a significantly lower APL scene...).

And there is some connection between the APL and the black luminance, but it's far form linear. Sometimes I could produce high black levels with relatively low APL but keep low blacks with relatively high APL.
But I guess it's a factor of the above mentioned thresholds (once it went up, it waits up there until it "feels safe" to get lower again...).

This is crazy! I effectively have a display with 0.10 cd/m^2 black level + some stupid "black level extender adjustment" like the back-light control of the LCDs.
I always turned it off on LCDs because it's easier for me to tolerate the high black levels than got mad about the fluctuations.

And you know, an LCD doesn't have ABL. So, if you count that too, then the worst-case contrast ratio of this plasma (with a very high APL scene) is something about 600:1 (~0.1 black and ~60 white).
My old LCD had a stable contrast ratio of ~900:1 (WP calibrated to D65 - this PDP can't even be really calibrated anymore...)
I am proud of myself that I upgraded (ok, there were some other reasons to change - but also other PDP manufacturers for that matter...).

One thing I am not sure about:
- Is this some new "rising black" (where the MLL remains low but the peak black level rises with the panel's age)?
- Did blacks got worse with the last firmware update? (Is it easier to trigger the high black levels?)
- Was it always like this and I just didn't noticed it back when the grays also fluctuated (and the old "floating gamma" covered the "floating blacks")?

post #742 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM

Liked: 11
There is no question there is a delay to the pops. During scene changes when there is a change in the content, the pops respond a good half-second afterwards. As you said I'm sure the delay is to prevent dozens of pops per second.

I'm still stuck on the fact that my NTSC panel had zero noticable pops before I did a F/W upgrade.
post #743 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 AM

my ps59 pops have gotten worse. could swear it was i never saw it when i first got the tv.
then gradually they started to come, now it's easily noticeable
post #744 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm days away from receiving a 59" replacement for a dead 2010 58" (2yrold cracked the screen!) here I was thinking I only had a little buzzing to worry about
post #745 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Does anyone have any video demonstrations of these pops?
post #746 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

Does anyone have any video demonstrations of these pops?

Yeah I was wondering the same... I tried searching youtube but couldn't find anything.

HD DVD - 10
BLU-RAY - 3
post #747 of 2249 Old 11-28-2011, 03:38 PM

I had technicians come out and replace the entire panel, with new parts... including the Y sustain board, power supply, and whatever else comes with the TV. So I basically was given a new TV.

After they left, I went back into the menu's and changed all of my settings back to how I had them. I then started playing the new Saints Row The Third game and noticed the issue was still around. So a new panel/parts, or even TV will not necessarily fix your issue. Mine still is annoying.

A little while later, I found a demo on the Playstation Network (available on 360 as well) for a game called Limbo. While playing this game, the brightness fluctuations go crazy, and it happens nonstop. It makes the game completely unplayable. If anyone wants to truly test if their set has the brightness pops, try out the Limbo demo.

Now that I have this demo to actually show someone, I wish I could get an actual Samsung representative out to show them what is going on. It's infuriating to us consumers, and is completely unacceptable.
post #748 of 2249 Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post

I had technicians come out and replace the entire panel, with new parts... including the Y sustain board, power supply, and whatever else comes with the TV. So I basically was given a new TV.

After they left, I went back into the menu's and changed all of my settings back to how I had them. I then started playing the new Saints Row The Third game and noticed the issue was still around. So a new panel/parts, or even TV will not necessarily fix your issue. Mine still is annoying.

A little while later, I found a demo on the Playstation Network (available on 360 as well) for a game called Limbo. While playing this game, the brightness fluctuations go crazy, and it happens nonstop. It makes the game completely unplayable. If anyone wants to truly test if their set has the brightness pops, try out the Limbo demo.

Now that I have this demo to actually show someone, I wish I could get an actual Samsung representative out to show them what is going on. It's infuriating to us consumers, and is completely unacceptable.

I commend you for your bravery to let them mess with an otherwise acceptable (I assume) TV. I hope you can let them know that after the considerable expense incurred in covering your warranty, they failed to solve your problem.

Did anything get worse after the repair? Panel noise for instance?
post #749 of 2249 Old 11-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Just got a message on my 64D7000 that there is an update available. I checked and it's version 1014. I didn't download it though, since I don't to chance being stuck with worse black levels. I'll let someone more daring upgrade first.
post #750 of 2249 Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHBurN View Post

Just got a message on my 64D7000 that there is an update available. I checked and it's version 1014. I didn't download it though, since I don't to chance being stuck with worse black levels. I'll let someone more daring upgrade first.

I upgraded my 59D7000 last night without thinking (particularly with all of my picture settings). I don't have any measuring equipment of any kind, but my black levels appear unchanged. In fact, everything appears unchanged so far. I have yet to know what actually upgraded.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page