Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 37 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2249 Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if the official demos are using TORCH mode (Store Demo Mode) that "hides" the pop issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2249 Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter990 View Post

I have a PN51D6500 for about a month running firmware 1013, and I havn't noticed any fluctuations.

My question is, should I update the firmware to the newest one? So far I havn't dared, since it is working so nicely now.

IMO, don't update the firmware unless you have good reason to do so. There is some evidence that firmware version affects the frequency of pops.
post #1083 of 2249 Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

IMO, don't update the firmware unless you have good reason to do so. There is some evidence that firmware version affects the frequency of pops.

I had the pops before and after the latest fw update
post #1084 of 2249 Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK78 View Post

I don't see these on my set (64" d550). Does anybody have a video to show us what is being referred to as brightness pops?

Mike

If you had the pops you would notice
post #1085 of 2249 Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzack02 View Post

If you had the pops you would notice

I wouldn't go so far as to say that - while my set does exhibit the pops and I see them, I would not presume that everyone watching the set would notice. So far, I seem to be the only one in my family that has seen them (and my wife is the kind of person that would ask about them if she saw them). They are pretty subtle and many people aren't geared to notice or care about fluctuations like that.

I may try and see if I can capture a video of them for the people asking. I predict that will be a challenge, given the subtlety of the occurrence combined with the low sensitivity of my video camera.

My 'gut' tells me that this IS something common to all these sets, but a lot of people simply don't see them, or have their sets adjusted in a way that minimizes their effect.
post #1086 of 2249 Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Every once in a while I notice some jitter in the playback of 24p. That is why I was thinking to update it.
post #1087 of 2249 Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's not a problem addressed in any firmware I've heard of, but you never know. Also, in case you are not aware, if most of your viewing is 24p source material you will not likely notice the pops. Pops are most noticable in certain types of 60hz material.

I would at least stick with your current version as long as possible so you can be pretty sure you have no pops. Then if they suddenly become problem after updating, please let us know so we get some useful information (and you can at least confidently complain to Samsung that their firware has messed up a perfectly good set).
post #1088 of 2249 Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:

Well, that's not a problem addressed in any firmware I've heard of, but you never know. Also, in case you are not aware, if most of your viewing is 24p source material you will not likely notice the pops. Pops are most noticable in certain types of 60hz material.

I would at least stick with your current version as long as possible so you can be pretty sure you have no pops. Then if they suddenly become problem after updating, please let us know so we get some useful information (and you can at least confidently complain to Samsung that their firware has messed up a perfectly good set).

That has probably more to do with an update reverting your settings than changing it otherwise.

The more I read about "pops" or "fbr" or whatever, more I think it's panel specific with an influence of your settings/usage and source material. I don't watch a majority of 24p material at all and still don't notice the pops like the pop evangelicals do, CS or not.

You may not know what the actual issue is...not saying that Samsung shouldn't be more upfront as to what some of you see, but not all of us experience it. AAMOF I recently updated to 1024 without consideration of my old settings...still no pops.

Some of you may have done one too many hallucinogenics...there were many cases of reported "flashbacks" from such that supposedly were involved, but most that actually partook of the experience never experienced that either. More likely government drones or just s*t disturbers generally. Some people just don't need help to have poor experiences, either. YMMV.

post #1089 of 2249 Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

That has probably more to do with an update reverting your settings than changing it otherwise.

The more I read about "pops" or "fbr" or whatever, more I think it's panel specific with an influence of your settings/usage and source material. I don't watch a majority of 24p material at all and still don't notice the pops like the pop evangelicals do, CS or not.

You may not know what the actual issue is...not saying that Samsung shouldn't be more upfront as to what some of you see, but not all of us experience it. AAMOF I recently updated to 1024 without consideration of my old settings...still no pops.

Some of you may have done one too many hallucinogenics...there were many cases of reported "flashbacks" from such that supposedly were involved, but most that actually partook of the experience never experienced that either. More likely government drones or just s*t disturbers generally. Some people just don't need help to have poor experiences, either. YMMV.

Too many Halluceno --- what? I sincerely hope you're kidding!

Following this logic, the entire Panasonic corporation must be on LSD, since they--unlike Samsung--openly acknowledged their FBr problems and actually offered affected customers panel swaps, no questions asked...

If your display has no pops, or if you do not see any, then do enjoy your good fortune in peace, but calling the frustrated owners who are seeing and struggling with the pops dope heads or something similar and blaming their plight on a history of drug abuse is really not cool, apart from being a little ignorant.
post #1090 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Following this logic, the entire Panasonic corporation must be on LSD, since they--unlike Samsung--openly acknowledged their FBr problems and actually offered affected customers panel swaps, no questions ask...

If your display has no pops, or if you do not see any, then do enjoy your good fortune in peace, but calling the frustrated owners who are seeing and struggling with the pops dope heads or something similar and blaming their plight on a history of drug abuse is really not cool, apart from being a little ignorant.

+1 I think lovinthehd works for Samsung or just look were he lives that will tell you all you need to know. LOL
post #1091 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, lovin', you're really not covering any new ground here, and this post certainly doesn't add to your credibility (or perceived sobriety). The fact that pops may vary from set to set and depend on picture settings and source material has been well established here. If you are unable to detect pops, for whatever reason (but I think it's becoming clear), then why the obsession with this thread?
post #1092 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 13
Apparently almost 60% of us have done far too many drugs, clearly...
post #1093 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash311 View Post

and the rest of the 40% enjoy the pops clearly with the belief that this is how the piece was recorded. and they are not to blame. All the new fancy edits and cuts that make it into movies and videos nowadays makes one feel like they have a defective set of eyes, TV or both !!!!
post #1094 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

and the rest of the 40% enjoy the pops clearly with the belief that this is how the piece was recorded. and they are not to blame. All the new fancy edits and cuts that make it into movies and videos nowadays makes one feel like they have a defective set of eyes, TV or both !!!!

i dont understand why you people have to get defensive when people post honest true problems and issues with the sets they own and that you own. if you dont have a problem or issue, fine.... but dont set there arguing and making silly comments to the guys that have the known common wide spread problem or issue. that is just plain ignorant.

people have the right to post their problems on something they paid good money for and discuss the issues without having being told that they are wrong or nit picky.

i would own a samsung right now if it wasnt for the brightness pops that i have seen with my own eyes... so now i have a panny with the pink, grenn tint problem. it is just a shame that all these displays have so many wide spread issues.
post #1095 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

i dont understand why you people have to get defensive when people post honest true problems and issues with the sets they own and that you own. if you dont have a problem or issue, fine.... but dont set there arguing and making silly comments to the guys that have the known common wide spread problem or issue. that is just plain ignorant.

people have the right to post their problems on something they paid good money for and discuss the issues without having being told that they are wrong or nit picky.

i would own a samsung right now if it wasnt for the brightness pops that i have seen with my own eyes... so now i have a panny with the pink, grenn tint problem. it is just a shame that all these displays have so many wide spread issues.

I was only adding some levity to the discussion. I apologize if it touched a nerve it shouldn't have.
post #1096 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
Quote:

I was only adding some levity to the discussion. I apologize if it touched a nerve it shouldn't have.

not aimed necessarily at you per say.
post #1097 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
X2K

I have a PN59D6500DFXZA and I too have the brightness pops. I have upgraded to 001015 software and still have to pops. I have also had the Geek Squad out to my house to repair, they have replaced every board in the TV and want to replace the display next. I have recently been in contact with Samsung Support VIA twitter and they are snail mailing me a thumb drive with a firmware update that they told me that I could not download. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
post #1098 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2K View Post

I have a PN59D6500DFXZA and I too have the brightness pops. I have upgraded to 001015 software and still have to pops. I have also had the Geek Squad out to my house to repair, they have replaced every board in the TV and want to replace the display next. I have recently been in contact with Samsung Support VIA twitter and they are snail mailing me a thumb drive with a firmware update that they told me that I could not download. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

be sure to upload the contents of the thumb drive for the benefit of the others over here.

Thanks!
post #1099 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Now how can Alien on blu ray have zero pops the whole movie?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #1100 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM250 View Post

+1 I think lovinthehd works for Samsung or just look were he lives that will tell you all you need to know. LOL

Where I live? What, close to La Honda and Kesey fame or the rich and famous in other parts of town? Sorry, not a Samsung employee (and not a particular fan of the corporation generally, just the set I own).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Following this logic, the entire Panasonic corporation must be on LSD, since they--unlike Samsung--openly acknowledged their FBr problems and actually offered affected customers panel swaps, no questions asked...

Of course I was kidding, most people never had the fortune to actually experience LSD, and particularly doubt the Matsushita Corp execs did. This thread is just too much "the sky is falling" stuff to the uninitiated, especially those that insist it's a problem my set has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash311 View Post

That's still quite possible.

Quote:

Meh, the only example I had been given, and had a copy of, (Dark Knight) was just that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

not aimed necessarily at you per say.

Per se? Sorry, I actually studied Latin...

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments in any case. As the Joker would say...why so serious, son? Why didn't y'all just return your defective sets is what I don't understand.

post #1101 of 2249 Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 18
I drink and do drugs and I don't see the pops so my solution if you are seeing the pops is to drink and do drugs.

(this post was for entertainment value and is not to be taken seriously)
post #1102 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 AM

Liked: 12
Last night was a bad night for the pops, guys. Watched Trainspotting and experienced a handful of them. It's sort of a "lo-fi" film anyway, but I'm 90% sure this was the TV acting up. It's weird because there was nothing that seemed particularly "taxing" about the scenes that triggered pops. I've watched lots of other crazy dark, bright, high-contrast material with no problems.

So I was watching some dumb crime drama on cable and it was popping, which was disconcerting because I almost never get any pops when watching cable.

I have more to say, but I hate this thread.
post #1103 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 06:24 AM
X2K

Quote:

be sure to upload the contents of the thumb drive for the benefit of the others over here.

Thanks!

Ive got no problem helping out and uploading it but I may need some help. I'm not sure if it's got to be compressed but she told me it was too big to download so I will have to figure a way out to upload it. Or I will just send it to someone who can.
post #1104 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoose26 View Post

i decided to bite the bullet on a PN51D530 for $799 at Sears. I've had great luck with a 40" Samsung 3 years back which is still going strong so i decided to take a chance, run it through its paces and see what happens in the 30-day window.
so far so good -- no noticeable pops -- but i only hooked up an SD signal thus far....
i'll keep the board posted on my results

just posting a followup to say that i have had no pops as of yet (3 weeks now). 95% of my viewing is directv. picture is very good -- not quite as bright as my 40" Samsung but very good nonetheless.
post #1105 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

In the last few months Roku 2 was updated to correct some darkness issue. Now it looks all grey on my set compared to the prior version. On the Roku forums some are discussing 4:4:2 and 4:2:2 as the culprit. Could this set have some encoding issue? Can someone explain these terms?

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #1106 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Got my 59" D7000 and did a quick test viewing for about 15-20 mins in Movie Mode.

Didn't notice any abnormal pops on fullscreen material - I usually saw pops with my older c450 plasma...but did see some fluctuation on commercials with 4:3 content or black bars, although I'm not sure if I would notice it normally as I was focusing purely on the black bars and not really "watching TV" per se...if that makes sense...I'll probably be updating more as I watch more HD content and Blu-Ray material later.

Overall, very impressed with the set - especially the filter for deep blacks and the colors...skin tones look exceptional compared to other default settings I've seen on other plasmas... which is usually rare in OOTB settings IMO.
post #1107 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Why didn't y'all just return your defective sets is what I don't understand.

Oh come on, the answer to that should be obvious to a genius such as yourself.
post #1108 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

In the last few months Roku 2 was updated to correct some darkness issue. Now it looks all grey on my set compared to the prior version. On the Roku forums some are discussing 4:4:2 and 4:2:2 as the culprit. Could this set have some encoding issue? Can someone explain these terms?

Those are color space formats. Have you tried the HDMI black level setting? Low vs. normal can sometimes be an issue with certain sources, depending on how the color space is handled in the source and display. Try both - it should be obvious which is the correct setting.
post #1109 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2K View Post

Ive got no problem helping out and uploading it but I may need some help. I'm not sure if it's got to be compressed but she told me it was too big to download so I will have to figure a way out to upload it. Or I will just send it to someone who can.

Ah, the rumored FW again...

You can use a free hosting service, like sendspace. Please let us know how you like the results.
post #1110 of 2249 Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Just received my PN51D550 and got around to setting it up and immediately after turning the set on for the first time noticed the brightness fluctuation/pops that people are describing here. Hilarious as all I was looking for on AVS was some kind of decent settings to use on my set and the first thread that pops up on my search is this one! Why am I not surprised SamDUNG!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page