Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 40 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think Katz is actively talking about the new E7000 "sharing" the fix with the other new model , the E8000.

Agree with others that he's referencing the "pops" found on the D-models.

In other words, he does NOT reference any kind of fix or future fix for the current D-series....which blows, but is no surprise (minus the 2 reports of people receiving special USB updates for US models -which is probably just more of the same)
jamesco411 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Amazingly Smooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

The statement leads to some ambiguity as to what he's referring to when he says "found on the PND8000." I don't think he's saying there's a fix for the brightness pops found on that model, I think he's simply saying there are brightness pops found on that model.

EDIT: Wait, I didn't see the word "share," in which case there must be a fix. That, or perhaps he was misquoted.

I emailed Samsung last night through their website and received a response this morning. The email suggested that a new firmware for the 64D8000 (1024.8) can be sent to me. I suggest that everyone with this issue email Samsung directly and inform them with the sources you see the pops.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
Amazingly Smooth is offline  
post #1173 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I think Katz is actively talking about the new E7000 "sharing" the fix with the other new model , the E8000.

Agree with others that he's referencing the "pops" found on the D-models.

In other words, he does NOT reference any kind of fix or future fix for the current D-series....which blows, but is no surprise (minus the 2 reports of people receiving special USB updates for US models -which is probably just more of the same)

I'm not sure what you guys are reading. He references a fix for the D series in both the E7000 and the E8000 articles.

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #1174 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
obveron's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

I emailed Samsung last night through their website and received a response this morning. The email suggested that a new firmware for the 64D8000 (1024.8) can be sent to me. I suggest that everyone with this issue email Samsung directly and inform them with the sources you see the pops.

I'll wait to hear the results of this FW before I harp on samsung for a D550 equivalent.
obveron is offline  
post #1175 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
sahmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

I think Katz is actively talking about the new E7000 "sharing" the fix with the other new model , the E8000.

Agree with others that he's referencing the "pops" found on the D-models.

In other words, he does NOT reference any kind of fix or future fix for the current D-series....which blows, but is no surprise (minus the 2 reports of people receiving special USB updates for US models -which is probably just more of the same)

For the record, the presenters at the CES Samsung showcase promise that all 2012 Samsung displays will come with "Smart Evolution" slots which will enable them to be progressively updated with new features as they become available... I guess it is a bit like how the PS3 is almost indefinitely upgradable through firmware updates, but in this case the displays will come with dedicated upgrade slots, implying that the upgrades will be more substantial and elaborate than what current firmware updates can accomplish. At best, this could be a great method for future-proofing a display, and if it works well, it will eliminate planned obsolescence, and the need to replace one's display every 3 years or so. For example, if the 2011 models had come armed with those smart evolution slots, it would have been easy to upgrade them fully to 2012 standards, in which case, one would not have to purchase an entirely new 2012 model in order to get rid of one's brightness pops... Sadly, smart evolution slots begin with the 2012 models.

Still, as great as this idea sounds, at least on paper, one of its implications has me wondering and scratching my head: if the Smart evolution concept effectively eliminates the need for Samsung patrons to buy new Samsung displays every 3 or 4 years, won't Samsung be shooting itself in the foot by shrinking its own future market share? How is Samsung going to entice its patrons to purchase the newer displays they produce every year if owners of older models can indefinitely upgrade their units thanks to "Smart Evolution"? On the other hand, if they're going to by-pass this problem by introducing new features that are not upgradable, won't they be defeating the entire idea of "Smart Evolution"?

In other words, I find all of these new ideas intriguing and am eager to see how they get implemented in the coming years...

I am also super-intrigued by the new Super Oled display Samsung is rolling out in 2012, and eager to see how its pq stacks up against the plasmas, although I am sure it is going to take a few years before I can afford and Oled, since it is probably going to come out prohibitively expensive...

On a lighter note, and FWIW, you've got to hand it to Samsung: they know how to do "slick" at these CES shows, (http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8073), unlike Panasonic who produced a rather drab, dull, yawn-inducing affair.

Now back to the "pops," and sorry for straying a little off topic.
sahmen is offline  
post #1176 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
sahmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

I emailed Samsung last night through their website and received a response this morning. The email suggested that a new firmware for the 64D8000 (1024.8) can be sent to me. I suggest that everyone with this issue email Samsung directly and inform them with the sources you see the pops.

This is another intriguing move: if this is indeed a reliable fix for the pops, why are they sending them privately to individuals and not releasing it as a general firmware update so that everyone who needs it can simply apply it? Is this a matter of cutting costs, or is that a way of avoiding possible liabilities in case the update generates new snafus as the European "fix" reportedly did? I am not sure, but like everyone else, I am keen to see the result of the update, and I hope it works. Fingers crossed
sahmen is offline  
post #1177 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
gadianton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

Still, as great as this idea sounds, at least on paper, one of its implications has me wondering and scratching my head: if the Smart evolution concept effectively eliminates the need for Samsung patrons to buy new Samsung displays every 3 or 4 years, won't Samsung be shooting itself in the foot by shrinking its own future market share? How is Samsung going to entice its patrons to purchase the newer displays they produce every year if owners of older models can indefinitely upgrade their units thanks to "Smart Evolution"? On the other hand, if they're going to by-pass this problem by introducing new features that are not upgradable, won't they be defeating the entire idea of "Smart Evolution"?

By far, most people do not upgrade their tvs every 3 or 4 years.
gadianton is offline  
post #1178 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
X2K
Newbie
 
X2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so I got my thumb drive from Samsung today. I try to do the update and it tells me there is nothing to upload but I know there is because I copied the drive before plugging it in just in case it would erase it after installing. I contacted Samsung and she told me that she was actually supposed to send me 2 thumb drives and was sending the other one out today. It will probably take 3 days or so to get here. I will do the same and copy that one too before installing so I can upload it for you guys if it works. A fix is so close I can taste it. The files on the drive are dated 8/11 so I don't know why they haven't made this available for everyone yet
X2K is offline  
post #1179 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Amazingly Smooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post


This is another intriguing move: if this is indeed a reliable fix for the pops, why are they sending them privately to individuals and not releasing it as a general firmware update so that everyone who needs it can simply apply it? Is this a matter of cutting costs, or is that a way of avoiding possible liabilities in case the update generates new snafus as the European "fix" reportedly did? I am not sure, but like everyone else, I am keen to see the result of the update, and I hope it works. Fingers crossed

I would speculate one possibility is that it violates some spec now such as power consumption or black level... Things that most consumers wouldn't notice, but cannot be released generally without losing their energy star rating.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
Amazingly Smooth is offline  
post #1180 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Member
 
g.lewarne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

I would speculate one possibility is that it violates some spec now such as power consumption or black level... Things that most consumers wouldn't notice, but cannot be released generally without losing their energy star rating.

does an energy star rating give manufacturers tax allowances/rebates or other incentives? i only ask as a consumer i never even look for it, nor care if im honest
g.lewarne is offline  
post #1181 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
X2K
Newbie
 
X2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this update works I promise that it will be available by Monday for everyone to download.
X2K is offline  
post #1182 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AvidHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks for the update X2K - 2 USB sticks, wtf is with these people?

Truly bizarre, but certainly interesting to watch this story unfold.
AvidHiker is offline  
post #1183 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
X2K
Newbie
 
X2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Thanks for the update X2K - 2 USB sticks, wtf is with these people?

Truly bizarre, but certainly interesting to watch this story unfold.

The thumb drive they sent me was only capable of 256mb and only had a 45mb file on it with a few other small ones. It's ridiculous. She actually told me it was one to "roll back" and the other to update.
X2K is offline  
post #1184 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The outcome of this thread will probably determine whether or not I purchase the 51PND7000 or not.

I'd really love to get one of these Samsung sets but the brightness pops are an absolute dealbreaker for me.

Assuming the new sets get released in March then I guess I could try one of those (at full price - ugh) but I'd still be worried about whatever issues those sets will have.

I hate TV buying nowadays - this set seems perfect for what I'm looking for aside from this issue.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #1185 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AvidHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2K View Post

The thumb drive they sent me was only capable of 256mb and only had a 45mb file on it with a few other small ones. It's ridiculous. She actually told me it was one to "roll back" and the other to update.

AH! Ok, that kinda makes sense because if it goes by version number, then sets that auto updated to 1015 wouldn't be able to install a 1014.6. I know a number of people would be very interested to know there may now be a way to roll back the FW (but it could be moot if this turns out to be a somewhat effective fix).

It's nice you plan to try and make the FW available for download, but I would still encourage everyone to request this FW direct from Samsung. Sounds like they still might need a bit of a wake up call to fully appreciate the extent of this defect.
AvidHiker is offline  
post #1186 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Member
 
Flash311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All this info over the last day or two actually gives me hope that this issue could be fixed and soon, however I won't get my hopes up and I remain skeptical.
Flash311 is offline  
post #1187 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Member
 
sinku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I too remain hopeful but also skeptical at the same time. I went ahead and emailed Samsung this morning to see what kind of response I get in regards to this firmware version.

As a complete side note, and at the risk of sounding ignorant, but couldn't there be some kind of legal recourse, i.e. class action lawsuit, in regards to this whole crappy situation? I mean you have a product that has a reproducible problem and the company has basically refused to acknowledge that the problem exists and as of yet has offered no definite fix for it.
sinku is offline  
post #1188 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash311 View Post

All this info over the last day or two actually gives me hope that this issue could be fixed and soon, however I won't get my hopes up and I remain skeptical.

Probably a good idea.

I've been waiting to hear about this issue being fixed for a good 5-6 months so I could actually purchase the set. Had it in my cart on Amazon for ~$950 around cyber Monday but couldn't pull the trigger due to this issue.

Really stinks for those of you that have it and can't get it fixed.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #1189 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
kaunosario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaunosario View Post

I filed a service ticket about the brightness pop issue and just talked to a service center (Tekniton) rep to set up an appointment. I described the issue in detail. The rep was quick to inform me that they will need a specific part before a field rep can come out. This tells me that they have handled this issue before. Whether or not this replacement part (I assume it's the board) will solve the issue remains to be seen.

Well, the service rep came today and never heard of this issue before. I politely declined his offer to replace the mainboard to see whether or not it will fix the issue.
kaunosario is offline  
post #1190 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,432
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaunosario View Post

Well, the service rep came today and never heard of this issue before. I politely declined his offer to replace the mainboard to see whether or not it will fix the issue.

Smart move.

DavidHir is offline  
post #1191 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AvidHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yep, don't get your hopes up too much folks. Best case scenario is they become less noticable and/or less frequent. From what we know, a complete fix is very unlikely (if not impossible).
AvidHiker is offline  
post #1192 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Amazingly Smooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

From what we know, a complete fix is very unlikely (if not impossible).

Can you elaborate?

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
Amazingly Smooth is offline  
post #1193 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobbyTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

Can you elaborate?

I CAN!

"A company rep here at CES 2012 also told us that the "brightness pops," an issue we noted with some types of content when watching the 2011 models, had been addressed by a new firmware update for the 2011 PND8000"
RobbyTV is offline  
post #1194 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Flash311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got off the phone with Samsung, and just like X2K mentioned, they are now sending me out 2 thumb drives to downgrade my current firmware and update to the fix. I specifically mentioned how my current firmware was 1015 and how the fix is firmware 1014.6. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back acknowledging the firmware and saying they'll be sending them out to me. I'm still trying to remain skeptical and keep a 'believe it when I see it' mindset, however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited about the potential fix.
Flash311 is offline  
post #1195 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

I would speculate one possibility is that it violates some spec now such as power consumption or black level... Things that most consumers wouldn't notice, but cannot be released generally without losing their energy star rating.

True. It could also be that they are still experimental and do not want to apply the fix to those TV that do not have the problem (like mine).


Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmen View Post

For the record, the presenters at the CES Samsung showcase promise that all 2012 Samsung displays will come with "Smart Evolution" slots which will enable them to be progressively updated with new features as they become available... I guess it is a bit like how the PS3 is almost indefinitely upgradable through firmware updates, but in this case the displays will come with dedicated upgrade slots, implying that the upgrades will be more substantial and elaborate than what current firmware updates can accomplish. At best, this could be a great method for future-proofing a display, and if it works well, it will eliminate planned obsolescence, and the need to replace one's display every 3 years or so. For example, if the 2011 models had come armed with those smart evolution slots, it would have been easy to upgrade them fully to 2012 standards, in which case, one would not have to purchase an entirely new 2012 model in order to get rid of one's brightness pops... Sadly, smart evolution slots begin with the 2012 models.

Still, as great as this idea sounds, at least on paper, one of its implications has me wondering and scratching my head: if the Smart evolution concept effectively eliminates the need for Samsung patrons to buy new Samsung displays every 3 or 4 years, won't Samsung be shooting itself in the foot by shrinking its own future market share? How is Samsung going to entice its patrons to purchase the newer displays they produce every year if owners of older models can indefinitely upgrade their units thanks to "Smart Evolution"? On the other hand, if they're going to by-pass this problem by introducing new features that are not upgradable, won't they be defeating the entire idea of "Smart Evolution"?

In other words, I find all of these new ideas intriguing and am eager to see how they get implemented in the coming years...

I am also super-intrigued by the new Super Oled display Samsung is rolling out in 2012, and eager to see how its pq stacks up against the plasmas, although I am sure it is going to take a few years before I can afford and Oled, since it is probably going to come out prohibitively expensive...

On a lighter note, and FWIW, you've got to hand it to Samsung: they know how to do "slick" at these CES shows, (http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8073), unlike Panasonic who produced a rather drab, dull, yawn-inducing affair.

Now back to the "pops," and sorry for straying a little off topic.

Reminds me of the days when we got PCs with expandable bays to add in extra HDD, Graphic cards, modems, etc.

On the other hand, it also means that Samsung believes it has developed a fantastic Panel that can be used as the basis of all new rollouts for the next few years.

Shooting in the foot? Maybe their model will change to incremental income via all the new apps that show up on the new HDTV. You will buy some, you will subscribe to some and provide a good continuous stream of income to Samsung.
chikoo is offline  
post #1196 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 PM
X2K
Newbie
 
X2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post


AH! Ok, that kinda makes sense because if it goes by version number, then sets that auto updated to 1015 wouldn't be able to install a 1014.6. I know a number of people would be very interested to know there may now be a way to roll back the FW (but it could be moot if this turns out to be a somewhat effective fix).

It's nice you plan to try and make the FW available for download, but I would still encourage everyone to request this FW direct from Samsung. Sounds like they still might need a bit of a wake up call to fully appreciate the extent of this defect.

I agree fully. I actually contacted them VIA twitter @samsungsupport. I have never used twitter and had to sign up just for this. You can also do a live chat off of the samsung site that I found after. I am unsure if it's model specific and would hate for a television to have another problem because of me. It's free from them and I got it in 3 days. I will still upload it if it works I just won't assume responsibility for problems caused.
X2K is offline  
post #1197 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
If you people think that Samsung is quietly and almost secretly releasing a fix to a prominent problem that has received world-wide attention via Cnet, you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #1198 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
sahmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2K View Post

I agree fully. I actually contacted them VIA twitter @samsungsupport. I have never used twitter and had to sign up just for this. You can also do a live chat off of the samsung site that I found after. I am unsure if it's model specific and would hate for a television to have another problem because of me. It's free from them and I got it in 3 days. I will still upload it if it works I just won't assume responsibility for problems caused.

I really hope it works, because I am also interested in this display, but one question has been nagging me. Talking about possible "problems caused," if there are any, will Samsung hold themselves accountable for them? It is the one thing which bothers me about the customer-by-customer approach taken by Samsung (as opposed to releasing this "fix" as a general fwr update). Even some general-run-of-the-mill firmware updates come with "use at your own risk" caveats in the fine print, so I do not know what Samsung considers their own responsibility or liability to be in this case when they are releasing the fix to each customer "on the sly" so to speak... Bottom line: will they repair your display for you or replace it should the "fix" create unforeseen unwanted problems? Again, I would like the fix to work for you if you apply it, but I am sure this question has occurred to you too...
sahmen is offline  
post #1199 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
David_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: delete me
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would have to agree Larry.

I think what people are going to get is 1 USB drive with the last complete major release that they can downgrade to, then another USB drive with an "upgrade" to a lower version of the firmware then what they currently have on the TV.

This will only put them back a version or 2, which we know never fixed the problem.

I think Samsung's support people are miss-diagnosing the problem and sending this out to try and fix a problem that's something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

If you people think that Samsung is quietly and almost secretly releasing a fix to a prominent problem that has received world-wide attention via Cnet, you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Larry


buytme
David_B is offline  
post #1200 of 2249 Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
JCarls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can somebody help me again with exactly what you are seeing? I have read about 100 posts and am as confused as ever. Tonight I decided to intentionally look for it during a hockey game (probably a real bad idea since I had never noticed anything before). Sure enough, I'm seeing what seem like camera flash bulbs going off - or maybe a stutter in the video. It's almost like something is happening between the screen refreshes. I would never have described it as a rising brightness level though, or a change in level of any kind. And it's not happening in transitions from dark scenes to light - just a bunch of players skating around on a consistent white background. There's a millisecond flash of light, or some kind of panel refresh inconsistency, and it's gone.

Then by the way I decided to go downstairs and watch on my 2-year old 58B650. Sure enough, flashes. I would say there are not nearly as many, but they are there. I am also seeing this on basketball games with a light wood court, but not on the replay of an NFL game that's going on, or on any other material.

Is this what you are calling brightness pops? And if so, why am I seeing it on a 2-year old "B" series?
JCarls is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off