Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 62 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I just got on the Samsung Chat and basically they told me to have a tech come out and look at it, so someone is coming Monday morning. Here is a transcript of my chat:

You are now chatting with 'James'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK564xxxxxxxx
James: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Bill: Hi James, my previous Issue ID was xxxxxxxxxxxxx
James: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.
Bill: Ok, thanks.
James: Thank you.
James: I see that your unit having a trouble with your unit regarding the brightness pops and fluctuations . Is that correct?
James: I see that your TV model is PN64D8000.
Bill: Yes. I received the USB Firmware in the mail from Samsung. The exact version is: T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q.
James: Thank you for the information.
James: Yes, 1024.8 firmware version will fix the issue for your TV.
James: Did you install it in your TV?
Bill: Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue for my TV. I still have brightness pops galore.
James: I am sorry to hear that.
Bill: Me too. I have been reading forums where other users are experiencing the same problem and have requested the updated USB firmware.
Bill: It has worked for some users, but has not worked for others like myself.
James: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information for your request?
Bill: Many of the users say they saw an "Optimization" message during the updating of the Firmware. I did not see this during my process.
Bill: Many of those who saw that "Optimization" message have reported positive results and elimination of brightness pops.
James: Thank you for being on hold.
James: May I know the current firmware version on your TV?
Bill: As indicated a moment ago (see above), it is: T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q
James: As we performed all the troubleshooting steps and issue still persists, the device needs to be serviced. Let me provide you with a link where you can file an online service request. You can get back to Live Chat with the ticket id xxxxxxxxx anytime if you run into issues filing the service request. We are available 24X7.
Bill: Do you have any information on my concerns above and the "Optimization" that others have experienced?
James: Okay, did you reset the TV?
Bill: Yes
James: Did you try to install the firmware after resetting the TV?
Bill: I checked the firmware on the tv and it is indeed T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q.
James: Thank you for the confirmation.
Bill: I noticed some other users with the same model tv had a firmware similar to this, but with the letter G at the end.
Bill: Would that make a difference?
James: No, it does not make a difference.
James: 1024.8 is the current firmware version for your TV.
Bill: Why different file names then?
Bill: What is the purpose of that.
James: The version is the same for your TV model.
James: I am sorry, a physical diagnosis is necessary to determine the exact defective part on your device. I recommend you fill out an online service request, so our technician can properly examine the unit.
James: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Bill: No
James: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue X close button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Bill: thank you
Bill: good bye
James: Thank you Bill.
James: Bye!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrayderz01 View Post

Well, I just got on the Samsung Chat and basically they told me to have a tech come out and look at it, so someone is coming Monday morning. Here is a transcript of my chat:

You are now chatting with 'James'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK564xxxxxxxx
James: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Bill: Hi James, my previous Issue ID was xxxxxxxxxxxxx
James: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.
Bill: Ok, thanks.
James: I see that your unit having a trouble with your unit regarding the brightness pops and fluctuations . Is that correct?
James: I see that your TV model is PN64D8000.
Bill: Yes. I received the USB Firmware in the mail from Samsung. The exact version is: T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q.
James: Yes, 1024.8 firmware version will fix the issue for your TV.
James: Did you install it in your TV?
Bill: Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue for my TV. I still have brightness pops galore.
James: I am sorry to hear that.
Bill: Me too. I have been reading forums where other users are experiencing the same problem and have requested the updated USB firmware.
Bill: It has worked for some users, but has not worked for others like myself.
James: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information for your request?
Bill: Many of the users say they saw an "Optimization" message during the updating of the Firmware. I did not see this during my process.
Bill: Many of those who saw that "Optimization" message have reported positive results and elimination of brightness pops.
James: Thank you for being on hold.
James: May I know the current firmware version on your TV?
Bill: As indicated a moment ago (see above), it is: T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q
James: As we performed all the troubleshooting steps and issue still persists, the device needs to be serviced. Let me provide you with a link where you can file an online service request. You can get back to Live Chat with the ticket id xxxxxxxxx anytime if you run into issues filing the service request. We are available 24X7.
Bill: Do you have any information on my concerns above and the "Optimization" that others have experienced?
James: Okay, did you reset the TV?
James: Did you try to install the firmware after resetting the TV?
Bill: I checked the firmware on the tv and it is indeed T-GAP8AKUC-1024.8, BT-Q.
James: Thank you for the confirmation.
Bill: I noticed some other users with the same model tv had a firmware similar to this, but with the letter G at the end.
Bill: Would that make a difference?
James: No, it does not make a difference.
James: 1024.8 is the current firmware version for your TV.
Bill: Why different file names then?
Bill: What is the purpose of that.
James: The version is the same for your TV model.
James: I am sorry, a physical diagnosis is necessary to determine the exact defective part on your device. I recommend you fill out an online service request, so our technician can properly examine the unit.
James: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Bill: No
James: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue X close button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Bill: thank you
Bill: good bye
James: Thank you Bill.
James: Bye!
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

So I'm waiting to hear back from executive relations with Samsung, the service center they provided me was: 1)very rude and 2)said the issue has to do with signal changing from 480i to 720p to 1080i and didn't think he needed to come out. Of course I was like, WTF????

let me know how your service visit turns out.
post #1833 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbo View Post

So I'm waiting to hear back from executive relations with Samsung, the service center they provided me was: 1)very rude and 2)said the issue has to do with signal changing from 480i to 720p to 1080i and didn't think he needed to come out. Of course I was like, WTF????

let me know how your service visit turns out.

Yikes! Hope that doesn't happen to me. Everytime I have had a service tech come out, he has no knowledge of the issues and has no answers, all he does is replace the panel (peeling screen, buzzing, dead pixels, etc). It's like he is a robot like the samsung chat people, but he does a good job replacing the panels....
post #1834 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrayderz01 View Post

Yeah, I had the image folder and everything. Just tried it again and it said no file found. Oh well. Just gonna set up to have a tech come out I guess...

I don't think you understood him, you need the T-GAP8AKUC ( or something similar depending on your model - mine was T-MST5AUSC) folder and within that the image folder. Then it should work
post #1835 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM

I update my PN59D8000 with this "firmware fix".I got optimization message.Pops are reduced,they not so obvious like before the update but still there.
post #1836 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Well seems those that do not optimize are out of luck The information about not optimizing and not working seems to be correct. I haven't seen any brightness pops last night on my set, even though I didn't optimize but I need more TV time to say for sure as this was not something that was common or very intrusive on my TV. Hope the below conversation helps clarify some things. I may just schedule a service call anyways and go from there as I would prefer this issue fixed whether its intrusive or not as I am pretty sure its common to all TVs, just some of us see it more or our settings highlight it more then others.

See below

Alisa: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Mike: I have a quick question. I have the 64" plasma (PN64d550) and I installed the new firmware for the brightness pops (1019.5) I was wondering if there is a way to roll it back to the older previous firmware
Alisa: I understand your concern, let me see how I can assist you in this regard.
Alisa: I see that you are not chatting from the U.S. Did you purchase the unit in the U.S?
Mike: Yes I did
Alisa: Thank you for the information.
Alisa: I am sorry to say that, you cannot update the previous firmware as it is already been updated with the new firmware.
Alisa: May I know the issue you are facing?
Alisa: I don't mean to rush you, but we Haven't had a response from you. Are we still connected?
Mike: I am not sure how familiar you are with the problem, (brightness pops) but there have been reports on AVSforum that the new firmware works, but only works if the TV enters and optimization step after the firmware is loaded. Mine did not "optimize" so I wanted to try loading the firmware again.
Mike: Do you know what the "optimizing" step after the firmware is about?
Mike: Sorry at work and someone stopped to ask a question.
Alisa: Not a problem. I can understand.
Mike: Can you explain what the "optimizing" step is or does?
Alisa: When you update the firmware version, you get optimize steps when you finish optimizing it will fix the brightness pop's issue.

Mike: So if I didn't get the optimization does this mean the issue was not resolved? Is there a reason it did not optimize on my TV, and is there anything I can do to get it to optimize.
Alisa: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
Alisa: Sure, let me check that for you.
Alisa: Would you mind if I place you on hold for few minutes while I gather information for you?
Mike: Sure no problem..
Alisa: Thank you.
Alisa: I am sorry; this is taking more time than expected. Can I have a few more moments?
Alisa: Thank you for holding.
Mike: yes no problem. I rather get the correct information so take your time
Alisa: May I know the firmware version of your TV?
Alisa: Menu--> Support-->Contact Samsung-->Software Version.
Mike: SWU_T-MST4AUSC_001019_I01_ES000_111202
Mike: T-MST4AUSC 1019.5
Alisa: Thank you for the information.
Mike: Previous version was 1018.1
Alisa: I see that you are TV contains latest firmware version.
Mike: Yes, its the latest firmware
Alisa: As the issue persist even after firmware updated, we will file a service request on behalf of you.
post #1837 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc1205 View Post

I update my PN59D8000 with this "firmware fix".I got optimization message.Pops are reduced,they not so obvious like before the update but still there.

Double check your ECO settings. Mine got turned back on by the update.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #1838 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazingly Smooth View Post

Double check your ECO settings. Mine got turned back on by the update.

Thanks.I check,its off.
post #1839 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielc1205 View Post

Interesting... I have the same model and I can't reproduce a pop... Is there some content specifically you are using to reproduce it?

This reminds me... My wife actually asked me what I was doing yesterday switching through all different content. I explained everything to her... this was our conversation.

Wife: "Okay, let me get this straight, you are TRYING to make the TV do something you don't want it to do"

Me: "Yes"

Wife: "So its not doing it now and you are spending all your time trying to break it?"

Me: "Well I guess you could look at it that way"

Wife: "Will you ever just enjoy the TV?"

Me: "I guess not"

LOL
post #1840 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

Interesting... I have the same model and I can't reproduce a pop... Is there some content specifically you are using to reproduce it?

This reminds me... My wife actually asked me what I was doing yesterday switching through all different content. I explained everything to her... this was our conversation.

Wife: "Okay, let me get this straight, you are TRYING to make the TV do something you don't want it to do"

Wife: "So its not doing it now and you are spending all your time trying to break it?"

LOL

I'd be willing to bet that every married man at AVS has had a similar discussion with their spouse.
post #1841 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:

lol, that's funny!
post #1842 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

lol, that's funny!

Thanks to Samsung, no less.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #1843 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
OMG! my wife asked me the EXACT same thing last night LOL!!!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #1844 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

LOL

Your wife got the point.Yes i am using STAR WARS REVENGE OF THE SITH chapter 38(that's my pop fest).
post #1845 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 03:22 PM

I do my TV testing when she isnt home ^^. I avoid those conversations ^^
post #1846 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post

I do my TV testing when she isnt home ^^. I avoid those conversations ^^

Same here
post #1847 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Got my 1019.5 firmware on Monday for my 51D550 and been testing since. I have used Direct TV, XBOX360, ps3, and Netflix streaming through the ps3 and have seen NO fbr.

Firmware 1019 to 1019.5 updated shutdown, turned back on optimized shutdown, turned back on issue resolved!

I did notice that the black level changed on my set. All of setting stayed the same but their was some change in the black level. Have changed settings since then to get desired settings and at this time I am satisfied with the results!
post #1848 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Has anyone tested 3d capabilities on the new firm?.
Blacks?
Changes?
post #1849 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post

It would seem the fix is directly linked to the optimization process. If you didnt optimize it wont fix. Try to downgrade then upgrade again

I downloaded the 1019.5 and upgraded my PN64D550 from 1018.1. No optimization occurred. I am watching it now for FBs etc. I might be seeing one or two but...

LanceX can you post your settings on your TV so I can make mine the same? May be due to a setting already on/off in the menu. Not sure what optimization really does...

Tks. I would like to compare.
post #1850 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 09:02 PM

64D8000
upgraded via usb from TivoHD's link
NO optimization or even firmware updated screen (basically just cut the TV off when it was done)

5 documented reproducible pops over 2 scenes in the Borne Identity (STD default) and 3 documented reproducible pops in the same scenes (MOVIE default) before update.

After the update... ALL WERE GONE. Not a single fluctuation in these scenes. Will continue to look for any.
post #1851 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Hello,
It seems that the D8000 folks have had mostly positive results but what about us D7000 users? I have yet to receive my 2 USB sticks, and the rollback firmware has yet to even be posted for download. Have any D7000 users confirmed the "optimizing" message?
post #1852 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 PM

So what is the general consensus. Should I download this file or should I stay with my file now. Or is it worth it to go for the new one. I have a PN64D8000.
post #1853 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM

PN64D8000 here, no optimization, had several pops across a few TV shows ready to test... all gone after the update.

Even switched all the lights off so I would notice the smallest change and so far I am yet to see 1 pop.

Finally after a few more popless hours I may be able to enjoy my TV without pop anxiety
post #1854 of 2249 Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Liked: 11
Hey all, has anyone got the second usb stick to downgrade the firmware for the d7000. I have the 1015 firmware on my tv so I cant use the 1014.6 fix. If someone has it can you please upload it when you get the chance, thankx
post #1855 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 AM

Maybe people that are NOT getting the "optimization" messages but ARE STILL seeing pops....are seeing the ABL rather than the gamma shifts?
post #1856 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Maybe people that are NOT getting the "optimization" messages but ARE STILL seeing pops....are seeing the ABL rather than the gamma shifts?

Mine didn't optimize and I thought it might have fixed it but after a long TV session the issue is there, so it really has to optimize or it doesn't work.

Mike
post #1857 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 AM

firmware worked for me,but i still get flicker in 3d.anybody else have this problem.
post #1858 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 AM

Looks like a user at HDJ did some testing yesterday with a meter (fL of letterbox bars), but I cant link the post here.

Also stated the cowboys vs aliens blu-ray had a good scene to check.

Quote:

I found cranking brightness down from the set 57, to 50, had no effect. Dropping contrast down from 90 to 70 had no effect.

Meter readings:

Before rise (CS Off) 0.007fL
After rise (CS Off) 0.018fL

Before rise (CS On) 0.011fL
After rise (CS On) 0.014fL

post #1859 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 11
Has anybody with a PN43D450 received a firmware update? I have a PN43D430, but I'm thinking it's just a rebadged 450. Samsung has no official webpage on their site. It was a Wal-Mart Black Friday exclusive.
post #1860 of 2249 Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK78 View Post

Mine didn't optimize and I thought it might have fixed it but after a long TV session the issue is there, so it really has to optimize or it doesn't work.

Mike

Not saying you're wrong, but watching 60% or so of the Borne Identity last night which has always been a pop-fest for me at many brightness/contrast settings was entirely pop-free following updating the firmware on a 64D8000.

Firmware via TivoHD's file onto USB: Installed firmware->TV cut off->TV auto cut back on for about 20 seconds (no messages on screen)->TV cuts off->stays off for about 30-40 seconds so I hit power button on remote->TV turns on after a slight delay (5sec or so, usually nearly instant on)->Pop-free viewing!

Again no messages of any sort after the intial progress bar of the firmware loading. But I don't care the problem is solved and after 8 months with this display I can finally use it without such a supreme annoyance.

I will of course continue to look for them but I'm pretty optimistic after last nights viewing where no more pops were to be found....

Good luck, all!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page