Does your 2011 Samsung "D" plasma have brightness pops? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your 2011 Samsung D series plasma have brightness "pops"?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacowacko View Post

Does anyone have some scene or something i can place on a usb that recreates the pop? I need another source One last thing, anyone that has a bluray that has the pop that they can test. Put the player into 24 and turn on cinema smooth and see if it goes away. That is the only setting that lessened the pop for me, but pq seems to suffer. I won't mention that to the tech or take it as a fix. I can't enable it with Dish, so it isn't a fix. Maybe Samsung should put in an update, so we can enable this whenever to lessen the pops, since they cant seem to make it stop popping.

Sorry if i'm not being that clear, been messing with the tv all night and i'm tirrreeddddddddddd of it

Hi
You can see my previous post, I got pops on dark scenes and always in the same points.

You can try from mkv files:
The Lord of the Rings - The fellowship of the Ring Ext. Ed. (first ten minutes)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (first minutes)
The ninth gate (during credits on beginning)

Me too, when enabling cinema smooth with blueray, get improvement of the pops (but they are still there).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I get brightness shifts on the Narnia 3D BD in the scene where they are in the bedroom and just before the room is filled with water the transports them to Narnia. Happens in that scene every time.
post #183 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I get brightness shifts on the Narnia 3D BD in the scene where they are in the bedroom and just before the room is filled with water the transports them to Narnia. Happens in that scene every time.

Hmmm I've had that movie for weeks just have not watched it yet... Does it shift in the non3d version BD as well?

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #184 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 AM

Well, I've just watched my mkv file of Narnia 3D and got the pops in the same scene, exactly when Lucy (hope in the us version the character has the same name) moves from the mirror to the picture.

Then - while they are in the sea - exactly when the three sailors jump from the ship (the purple of the ship turns lighter)
post #185 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

Hmmm I've had that movie for weeks just have not watched it yet... Does it shift in the non3d version BD as well?

Very interesting. I've not watched it in 2D but will check into that as well.
post #186 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
well is there a fix for this or not? othrewise I'll skip out on panasonic and samsungs this generation (again). Seems nobody can recreate the Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #187 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

well is there a fix for this or not? othrewise I'll skip out on panasonic and samsungs this generation (again). Seems nobody can recreate the Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Guess well wait and see if samsung do a firmware update. There no way to adjust that pop, so I'm guessing it in there software. I no it bother me at time, but I can live with it. Cause this tv is outstanding compare to the un65d8000. I test out the led, and it notting close to the plasma.
post #188 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

There is an unofficial firmware update (or did they make it official now?) for the Panasonic line but nothing yet for the Samsung. To get the firmware you have to bitch to Panasonic and they will give it to you. Reports from the field are that it works 100%
post #189 of 2249 Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 PM

New firmware posted for D7000 but I can't get the TV to recognize the update via USB or online. Anyone have any luck?
post #190 of 2249 Old 09-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Liked: 11
where'd you find this new firmware update? Any details or changelog on what's new in it?
post #191 of 2249 Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 AM

Looks like its to enable some the playback of 3d videos on YouTube

Problem -- when using the TVs speakers, does anyone get rattling or "clipping" type sound that's usually associated with speakers that are playing beyond their limits? I understand that much isn't to be expected from a TVs native speakers, but even at a moderate volume of 30-40, I sometimes get speaker rattle/vibration and its driving me crazy.

Does anyone else get that? I'm trying to figure out if mines defective, or if I inadvertently crushed or pressured the back panel against the speaker in some way to induce this rattle with certain sounds and volume levels.
post #192 of 2249 Old 09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacowacko View Post

I have a service tech coming out Thursday. The tech told me on the phone that they have heard of the issue and with the pannys, as well. He stated the planned on replacing the main board. He stated that panny had the firmware update to fix their problem, but did not know if Samsung planned to. He also did not know if changing the main board would fix the issue. I wish I had inception to show him, I sold it, couldn't bring myself you watch it with the strobes. Once was enough. Another good scene to see it, is the flying scenes in avatar. My TV does it in really bright scenes and dark scenes when it goes to lighter scene or vice versa.

The people who don't see it, I hope it truly isn't there. I want mine fixed. My wife doesn't see it at all, so I am not getting my hopes up. Maybe peoples eyes can see shifts others can't, maybe that's the case with the Samsung engineers who designed the TV. :-)

Also, what is abl, big John.

Auto brightness limiter, supposedly something put on plasmas to keep them from drawing too much power at one time.

That's about all i know, but i don't think that what this is.

After more viewing and finding scenes that cause this i believe this is a undefeatable contrast enhancer that takes scenes in which there isn't much difference between the darkest dark and the brightest bright and takes that range and expands it to create a better contrast for that scene.

I don't think it's some special ABL function because it doesn't really happen in the brightest scenes where you would normally find something like this.

I still think it is lessened at CL = 10 or lower but i think it's just less of a difference since the light output isn't much more over complete dark.

It's very annoying indeed and really the only thing keeping me from running @ 15 cell light.

Is there really people out there that don't have this issue, i want to know this for sure.

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #193 of 2249 Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblackice View Post

...does anyone get rattling or "clipping" type sound ...

Again with "the nine gate" (in the first minutes) I noticed some noise caused by the vibration of something under the cover near the CI slot. It happens when sounds (in this case I think cellos or other type of string instrument) are played at certain low frequencies.
post #194 of 2249 Old 09-03-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

Does your 2011 Samsung "D" series plasma (550, 6500, 7000 or 8000, any size...) have brightness "pops" or instant level changes when viewing?

Yes I get brightness pops everytime i am on the frame channel some of the pics start to go dark then light dark then light it happens qiute a bit actully and some times during movies but havent noticed it while watching sports.

I also see ghosting sometimes while watching sports all the eco solution is off and screen protection is off tried everything but happens from time to time starting to bother me alot the set is 2 weeks old
post #195 of 2249 Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider-nation View Post

I also see ghosting sometimes while watching sports all the eco solution is off and screen protection is off tried everything but happens from time to time starting to bother me alot the set is 2 weeks old

If by ghosting you mean IR, my 51" 6500 is TERRIBLE with that as well. The 59" has no noticeable IR at all but the 51" is a mess. Once again though, to be fair, it goes away in a few minutes and I don't really notice it during actual TV watching, just during my "is my tv ****ed up" inspections.
post #196 of 2249 Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM

I had my board replaced because of this, and just to let you know, it made no difference. It actually might be a little worse. It is so frustrating because I love the TV except this makes for a horrible experience as the pops are really annoying. I just wish Samsung would stop playing dumb about this and do admit they have a problem.

I am going to call Samsung again and see if something can be done. It is crazy to pay so much for a TV and have a defect like this.

Hears hoping that Samsung releases a firmware update for it.
post #197 of 2249 Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Just a reminder for any fluctuation-afflicted newcomers --

Please go to this page,

(https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Sa...97504886976163)

press the "Like" button to support the cause, and then follow the instructions after clicking the 'Info' link at the top left.

Finally, please post a public message on the wall explaining your woe! We need to unite into one collectively giant squeaky wheel to howl Samsung for our grease of a firmware fix...

Just like the Panasonic users received!
post #198 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 AM

PN59D550 no problems.
post #199 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM

hi all, have been reading through all the threads and a little concerned. My PS59D550 is coming next Tuesday and not looking forward to any brightness popping or buzzing.

I remember my Panny plasma that i initially got 5 years ago had buzzing, returned it for a one that was completely silent.
I really hate having to do this research each time I buy a TV, these manufacturers need to get this right!
enter google: problems/issues

Just checking, has everyone used the latest firmware for the D550 dates August 3rd?

Here is the link:
http://www.samsung.de/de/support/det...1a&dl=firmware
post #200 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I just purchases a PN59D8000 and noticed the brightness flicker/pop as well , I have tried different blu-ray players, different HDMI cables and tried switching the HDMI ports just to rule everything out hoping it wasnt the TV i am so frustrated with it because other than that the TV truly is beautiful. When you dim the lights to watch a movie it is really noticeable in the black bars on the bottom of screen. I dont know if i should return the model for a new one (then worry about possibly a peeling/buzzing/dead pixel issue)....any ideas or help is appreciated
post #201 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Did you try turning off the eco settings and playing with dynamic mode?
post #202 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM

i did i tried all settings and dynamic seems to be the one you dont notice it but im guessing because the contrast in torch mode is jacked way up. We should be able to watch these TV's in any mode without any issues. its such a beautiful picture when its calibrated.
post #203 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM

that does indeed suck. not sure whether to cancel my order or not, but either way it'll be another tv with a new and different problem to look out for.
post #204 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwlkr26 View Post

i did i tried all settings and dynamic seems to be the one you dont notice it but im guessing because the contrast in torch mode is jacked way up. We should be able to watch these TV's in any mode without any issues. its such a beautiful picture when its calibrated.

Just to clarify, this is what you're seeing kind of?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJPI8...eature=related
post #205 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM

its not that noticeable in the actual picture. Its subtle but where you see the change is in the black bars on top and bottom of screen. Its like the black level worsens for a second and then its nice and black again. Seems to do it most in darker scenes.
post #206 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have this problem. It is especially bad on the movie "Road to Perdition". I am so disappointed in this set because of this problem. Samsung, please fix it.

Except, of course, in paranoid delusions for those that believe.
post #207 of 2249 Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM

Had main board and some other board replaced. Still does it. Repair lady couldn't see it. I told her my wife only sees it at night. She wanted me to email her a video of it doing it at night, but I have no video camera. I emailed her a link to this thread,hopefully she will forward it to Samsung

It needs a firmware fix like Panasonic did.

On another note, I put it up for sale. Anyone want to buy it? I am the only one who can see it, apparently. Going back to Panasonic, since they have a confirmed fix.
post #208 of 2249 Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwlkr26 View Post

I just purchases a PN59D8000 and noticed the brightness flicker/pop as well , I have tried different blu-ray players, different HDMI cables and tried switching the HDMI ports just to rule everything out hoping it wasnt the TV i am so frustrated with it because other than that the TV truly is beautiful. When you dim the lights to watch a movie it is really noticeable in the black bars on the bottom of screen. I dont know if i should return the model for a new one (then worry about possibly a peeling/buzzing/dead pixel issue)....any ideas or help is appreciated

Can you check what version of tv you have? It's on a sticker at the back of the tv. Nowadays V02 is being shipped and haven't seen anyone complain about the pops with a V02.

Maybe samsung has fixed the problem in silence.
post #209 of 2249 Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 AM

PN59D7000
I have black level pops when CinemaSmooth is OFF.
Also had a D6500 that did the same thing but the D7000 seems a little better.
Seems like a firmware issue to me.
Would have gone to VT30 but it cost too much so I'm living with it.
post #210 of 2249 Old 09-08-2011, 04:17 AM

ok, well i'm going to go ahead and continue with the delivery on Tuesday for my PS59D550 and hopefully try to avoid the process of returning/engineer visits/exchanges.
I'll update again when i have it and confirm if there are any pops.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page