Samsung Plasma Internal Crack and Samsung's Response (ongoing) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a complicated issue that has two sides. It is possible for a customer tro crack a plasma screen without leaving impact marks.

I do believe that a small number of people have had screens that spontaneously cracked, and Samsung should replace those screens, but how do they determine if it was spontaneous or caused by the customer? That is where the real rub is.

The screen cracked on my Logitech Harmony remote they had a warranty response that was identical to Samsungs. I fought them on it and eventually got a replacement but I understood their point of view as I could have easily not been telling the truth about how the screen came to be cracked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Was the 2 week old set the op referenced mounted on a wall, or, using the supplied stand?
post #93 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post

According to a post from you yours happened during a move http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20509922. The folks posting here did not transport their displays anywhere. There is a difference.

OP says the techs laid the TV down, which you aren't supposed to do. The crack that appears inside the screen isn't the same kind of crack that appears when say moving it in a car and you hit a bump on the road. If you did that then the piece of glass would break in a straight line. I've never heard of the inside of the glass panel breaking in a spider web crack like the way mine and the OP's cracked.
post #94 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

OP says the techs laid the TV down, which you aren't supposed to do. The crack that appears inside the screen isn't the same kind of crack that appears when say moving it in a car and you hit a bump on the road. If you did that then the piece of glass would break in a straight line. I've never heard of the inside of the glass panel breaking in a spider web crack like the way mine and the OP's cracked.

Samsung instructs you to lay the tv down, when mounting the stand..So it's obviously fine if you're careful* with it
post #95 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post

I know when I wallmount a set I will look at the recommended length and actually it not to hard to place a skinny item in the hole and see how far it goes down and use the appro. rubber washer not to bottom out.

As for the glass.. these seems to be more a 2009/10 set issue.. How many 2011 sets have cracked ..1 or 2.

Ahh, I didn't know it was going on the 3rd year for this problem as I thought it was something new for 2011.
post #96 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanVanVan View Post

Samsung instructs you to lay the tv down, when mounting the stand..So it's obviously fine if you're carefully with it

Same with the Panny's. Seems like potential for some stress on the panel though. I'd get someone's help to set it straight down on the stand right out of the box, 'cause I worry about that sort of thing.
post #97 of 176 Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Ahh, I didn't know it was going on the 3rd year for this problem as I thought it was something new for 2011.

not new... but I only know of two 2011 sets that claim internal cracking.. seem much more prevalent in 09/10.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #98 of 176 Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I just reread the op. Noticed you have a Wii and a son. I'm thinking one of two things happened. The 1st post I had made about the possible over tightening of a screw causing a small crack. Small enough for the set to work buy large enough to expand due to normal heating and cooling of a plasma set. Which would make the crack weaker. Which is why in time it broke.

Or two. The kid with the Wii. Something hit it hard enough to make the crack but soft enough to not damage the outer part. Yes. That's possible given a certain impact. I've seen this done on sets myself. I've mainly seen it when I set has been dropped. No outside damage until you take a closer look.

Bottom line. Youve lost 3k. Sucks. But nothing your going to be able to do. No Wii for plasma sets. Move on.
post #99 of 176 Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can't believe if you hit the outside glass hard enough to crack the internal glass your not going to see some type of external damage.Samsung should at least have a non bias engineer look at these things I think their pushing the thinness thing to far.Now some Samsung are having peeling problems on some D models.
post #100 of 176 Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Or two. The kid with the Wii. Something hit it hard enough to make the crack but soft enough to not damage the outer part. Yes. That's possible given a certain impact. I've seen this done on sets myself. I've mainly seen it when I set has been dropped. No outside damage until you take a closer look.

Do you think people haven't taken a very close look at their TVs where the cracked?
Maybe a few haven't, but Samsung has indeed taken a closer look, at least when they've bothered to send out a tech.
post #101 of 176 Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 View Post

Do you think people haven't taken a very close look at their TVs where the cracked?
Maybe a few haven't, but Samsung has indeed taken a closer look, at least when they've bothered to send out a tech.

My point wasn't them taking a closer look or not. Internal cracks are pretty hard to see if small. The kid might have hit it and didn't see a thing. In this case. Samsung has seen the issue.
post #102 of 176 Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was my 3rd Samsung TV in month so I was hesitant to send it back, and I was hoping it would be a tweak or reset in the service menu or something.

This was and is your problem. You were likely flagged as a problem after your last complaint. I actually don't blame them for the suspicions.
post #103 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, we wall-mounted it. No, we did not use the wrong screws, or over-tighten them, I'm about as paranoid/careful as they come. Besides, the crack was no-where near the mounting hole anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
As for the glass.. these seems to be more a 2009/10 set issue.. How many 2011 sets have cracked ..1 or 2.
If you follow the cnet Samsung board... cracked sets are waaaaay up in 2011. I think someone did a count recently and in the past year or so, it was well over 60 people complaining of this. In the month or two since I had my problem probably 8 or 9 more people have posted the exact same thing.

And for anyone reading this who is dealing with the same issue, you might consider posting a complaint over at consumer affairs so that someone can keep track of this stuff
post #104 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe

This was and is your problem. You were likely flagged as a problem after your last complaint. I actually don't blame them for the suspicions.
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.
post #105 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post
Quote:
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.
It's very unlikely that Samsung was even aware I had the other 2 TV's, since they were returned to the seller immediately.

Also, not to shoot holes, but there are a lot of other people having the same problem (with Samsung TV's and Samsung support), and I can't imaging many of them went through 2 other TV's first.
post #106 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post
It's very unlikely that Samsung was even aware I had the other 2 TV's, since they were returned to the seller immediately.

Also, not to shoot holes, but there are a lot of other people having the same problem (with Samsung TV's and Samsung support), and I can't imaging many of them went through 2 other TV's first.
Many credit cards cover items for accidental damage for 90 days or so from purchase. You could file a claim if you have that type of card. Check it out. You could claim it was cracked by accident since Samsung is stonewalling you.
post #107 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

I'm sure they knew. Regardless if they did or not. I'm almost sure it was done from the screws or kid with the Wii. As for others having problems as well and posting it online. Well. That doesn't do any good. It's the internet. Doesn't surprise me others would mistakenly mess up there sets then try and have Samsung fix it for there screw up. Your set worked at some point. Then something happened. Your power capacitors didn't blow. The crack came from someone in your house hold. Like it or not. That's the facts. Samsung isn't stupidly going to change there mind from you getting aggravated. It does suck. But by all means. There is nothing you can really do.
post #108 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I'm sure they knew. Regardless if they did or not. I'm almost sure it was done from the screws or kid with the Wii. As for others having problems as well and posting it online. Well. That doesn't do any good. It's the internet. Doesn't surprise me others would mistakenly mess up there sets then try and have Samsung fix it for there screw up. Your set worked at some point. Then something happened. Your power capacitors didn't blow. The crack came from someone in your house hold. Like it or not. That's the facts. Samsung isn't stupidly going to change there mind from you getting aggravated. It does suck. But by all means. There is nothing you can really do.

What a arrogant statement by someone who has not even seen the plasma.
post #109 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah... no.
post #110 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

What a arrogant statement by someone who has not even seen the plasma.

Does it even matter? Have you seen it? Has anyone in this thread(other then the OP) seen the damage? No. We are all going by what the OP says it looks like. Which based on what he described. Is exactly the case that happened. You made your assumption from what you've read. As have I. To better my point. Samsung themselves has seen the damage and still decides it isn't under warranty. Why would I believe anything different after all the post? If anything the picture would validate my point. The OP never provided the picture. We all drew assumptions from HIS statements. I can understand the screen cracking with a capacitor blowing out. But that didn't happen. I still stand by my post before. As I said before. It sucks. He's screwed. Nothing is going to change. He still has a broken set. IF he (or someone in the house hold) really didn't do anything to damage the set. That yes. That sucks even more. Do we know that? Nope. Even based on HIS story I don't believe it. Not everyone agrees on the same thing. If that were the case. He wouldn't be here posting about this. He'd have a new TV by now.

IMO, Next time you get a set that doesn't have net flix working. KEEP IT. Clearly wasn't worth the trouble in your case.
post #111 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're saying cadmium jacked up 3 sets in a row? Sorry for being skeptical, but based on his postings on this forum, that seems extremely unlikely.
post #112 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does it even matter? Have you seen it? Has anyone in this thread(other then the OP) seen the damage? No. We are all going by what the OP says it looks like. Which based on what he described. Is exactly the case that happened. You made your assumption from what you've read. As have I. To better my point. Samsung themselves has seen the damage and still decides it isn't under warranty. Why would I believe anything different after all the post? If anything the picture would validate my point. The OP never provided the picture. We all drew assumptions from HIS statements. I can understand the screen cracking with a capacitor blowing out. But that didn't happen. I still stand by my post before. As I said before. It sucks. He's screwed. Nothing is going to change. He still has a broken set. IF he (or someone in the house hold) really didn't do anything to damage the set. That yes. That sucks even more. Do we know that? Nope. Even based on HIS story I don't believe it. Not everyone agrees on the same thing. If that were the case. He wouldn't be here posting about this. He'd have a new TV by now.

IMO, Next time you get a set that doesn't have net flix working. KEEP IT. Clearly wasn't worth the trouble in your case.

If someone has the extent of trouble that he has, they're gonna be pretty vocal about it. Also, for some people it's not financially possible to buy another set while you're waiting for a refund/repair of a faulty set. I've gotta agree with others here in thinking that your past several statements have been pretty arrogant and wildly off-base.
post #113 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

You're saying cadmium jacked up 3 sets in a row? Sorry for being skeptical, but based on his postings on this forum, that seems extremely unlikely.

No. I'm not saying he messed up his other sets. Nor am I saying that this current set was intentional. Mistakes happen. I believe what happen was just pure mistake.
post #114 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

If someone has the extent of trouble that he has, they're gonna be pretty vocal about it. Also, for some people it's not financially possible to buy another set while you're waiting for a refund/repair of a faulty set. I've gotta agree with others here in thinking that your past several statements have been pretty arrogant and wildly off-base.

Did I ever say he had the money to fork out another 3k for a set?

I understand his anger. Yet I also understand exactly why Samsung isn't fixing this issue. Nothing arrogant about it.
post #115 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM

People people people, just put good ole samsung fanboi jukey on ignore. He'll claim he isnt but he is arrogant and thinks (key word there is THINKS) he is an expert. You wont even have to ask him how great he is he'll tell ya right off the bat.
post #116 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
115 posts and no picture.

It's not like he doesn't have them.

Who cares if the doubt comes from a fanboy or not.

I think this thread should be locked unless the guy blaming Samsung for getting screwed doesn't want to put up his proof.

Just as anyone using the board has the right to be treated without false accusations with no proof, so should the manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post
People people people, just put good ole samsung fanboi jukey on ignore. He'll claim he isnt but he is arrogant and thinks (key word there is THINKS) he is an expert. You wont even have to ask him how great he is he'll tell ya right off the bat.

buytme
post #117 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post
ROFL. It's rather funny my evo had shown this post even though you've been on my ignore list for quite sometime now. Guess that's something they need to fix. But while I have you here. I find it rather funny you've taken the time to find me posting in a forum you clearly had no interest in to begin with.

Oh wait. That's right. Your the Panasonic lover. Your thread about black level rise a few months ago got pretty heated due to your lack in knowledge. 2011 models it was correct? Either way. I don't care.

As for me being a Samsung fan-boy. Shame Shame Shame on your for even thinking something so foolish. Samsung isn't the same company the used to be. There best year was 09. After that they haven't come up with anything to really catch my attention. Panasonic seems to be the only one making major improvements in overall picture AND design. Samsung seems to stay on the same level as years before (except 09) and is putting to much money into edge lit LED crap. I could go on and on but i'd rather not waste my time on this "fanboy" subject anymore. Side note on that. Wouldn't me being a Samsung fanboy encourage me to think Samsung would fix the set? Being in his position. I'd be pissed getting a non working set and them not fixing it. Not much of a fanboy.....

An expert?! Why thank you for the assumption but I can assure you i'm no expert. That being said. ANYONE here can draw an assumption based on the postings before. Maybe some try to voice there opinion a little to much?

Back to the original subject and the OP. I do apologize if what I've said seemed arrogant. You must of known this thread would have caused some form of skepticism. Which is why I've said my thoughts. Used what facts you gave us. As I said before. Being in your position just plan out sucks. Don't blame you for being pissed. If I were in your position I'd be doing everything I can to make sure Samsung starts to lose money. Voice your thoughts. Make your car a freakin bumper sticker saying Samsung sucks. Post your pictures and possible videos of whats going on. If they are in the wrong. Show EVERYTHING proving it to everyone whats been going on. What they do. Every thing you know. Others should know. Holding back ANYTHING is always used against you. Something as a simple picture can provide even more "proof" or pain to your case. Just a thought.
post #118 of 176 Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post
115 posts and no picture.
Valid point.
Quote:
It's not like he doesn't have them.
Exactly.

Quote:
Who cares if the doubt comes from a fanboy or not.
Shouldn't make a difference either way. Post above talks about that. Either way. A complete random guy who was never involved with this thread to begin with took the time to come in and post that one useless bit of information and have it regard ANYTHING about whats actually going on in this thread. Goes to show what anyone should believe from GSD.

Quote:
I think this thread should be locked unless the guy blaming Samsung for getting screwed doesn't want to put up his proof.
I agree. Top it off. What's done is done. But IMO. Holding back his possible strongest piece of evidence doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
Just as anyone using the board has the right to be treated without false accusations with no proof, so should the manufacturers.
I agree. Short and sweet. Something I can't do to well. Oh well. I'll live
post #119 of 176 Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM

I'm a samsung tech and the first mistake you made was telling samsung the panel was cracked. NEVER EVER tell samsung that. Just tell them you have no picture so they will send a tech out. When they dispatch someone pray that you get one that has seen this problem before.

Samsung Certified Master Technician (Appliances and TVs).
post #120 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 PM

first her flat screen not working yesterday and then the crack appeared today..... Its on the inside and no crack on the outside, thought I would post the picture. She has had it about 37 days. Its a 51 inch plasma samsung. Funny that before the crack the salesperson said to deal with Samsung then today they said bring it in..... Funny that there are tons of similar experiences online......
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page