Samsung Plasma Internal Crack and Samsung's Response (ongoing) - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How large is this? Can you take a pic of the whole screen to get a size reference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 PM

I had a cracked samsung screen as well. It took me 9 months to resolve the issue. They denied me every time I called them and they told me the crack was caused by physical impact. If I had not been watching the television when it happened I would not have believed it. After several letters and an appointment with the alternative dispute board, samsung said they would pay for parts but I would have to pay for the labor. I told them I would not do this. They have a defective product and I refused to agree to this. They left me on hold for 5 minutes and then came back and said they would cover all the cost. I really did not want to do that either because I wanted all their products out of my house but that was all I was going to be offered.

The technicians came in and removed the cracked panel. When they went to their truck to get the new panel they discovered the replacement panel was cracked worse then my panel. At that point they decided to pay me out. I've enclosed a picture of the crack. I have better photos but the previous post wanted a full view.

Hundreds of people have had this problem. I know of 4 people in the St. Louis metro area alone. To top it off the repair technicians accidentally called me back on the day Samsung agreed to pay me out. They were calling another customer to tell them that Samsung would not cover their plasma because it was physically impacted.
LL
post #123 of 176 Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 AM

The one I posted the pic of is a 51 inch and not sure how big the crack is, but I can get my friend to take a full view picture.
post #124 of 176 Old 11-17-2011, 10:34 AM

PaintsRule: I am just curious how large it is... Size of a dime or quarter or larger like the one posted by bigdaddy10 above.

Reason I am asking is I have a very small one on my 50C6500. The TV still works, but close up I can see it (luckily not at viewing distance).

Its just under the size of a dime, and looks much like yours (a spider).

I always blamed the kids for it (although they would never admit it, of course). Looks to me like a small bouncy ball could do the trick. I don't see any outside damage, but I am careful not to rub at it since I don't want to make it worse.

Interesting thing though is that it is about the same place as bigdaddy10's. I would be interested to see where your crack is too.
post #125 of 176 Old 11-17-2011, 03:21 PM

Be very sure not to touch it. When the technician set my panel down to take out the bad glass they put 5-7 more cracks in the glass. When the replacement was broken they put the panel back together and it cracked more and more until they came and picked the television up 2 weeks later.
post #126 of 176 Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to share my experience...saved up FOREVER to get a new plasma and made this mistake of getting a sammy c6500...2010 model...wife calls me at work and tells me the tv cracked and sparked when she turned it on...checked it out ...cracked on the inside...figured no problem samsung would cover it...had to cover it...because i did NOTHING...but then i came across that cnet thread...enjoyed the hell out of the tv for 2 months....samsung refused to cover...1300 bucks down the drain...this was last year....

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #127 of 176 Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintsRule View Post

first her flat screen not working yesterday and then the crack appeared today..... Its on the inside and no crack on the outside, thought I would post the picture. She has had it about 37 days. Its a 51 inch plasma samsung. Funny that before the crack the salesperson said to deal with Samsung then today they said bring it in..... Funny that there are tons of similar experiences online......

Got an internal crack on my 89 day old 51 inch Samsung plasma. Geek Squads first respons to my call was it most have been from contact. I called them back after seeing several l internet reports of the same issue, and this tech says he hears it all the time. Glad to hear I am not alone.
post #128 of 176 Old 12-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Liked: 11
I 100% believe that these panels can crack due to manufacturers defect. Too much stress and pressure on the internal panel etc. I also think that Samsung are not treating this issue properly.

However I'd also like to point out that a lack of damage to the external glass is not proof that an impact didn't happen. Vibrations, pressure and shock can pass in to the internal panel without damaging the exterior glass, I'd say that would be a pretty common result to an impact.
post #129 of 176 Old 02-01-2012, 09:39 AM

I agree.

Now that these plasma panels are thinner and larger than before, they are more susceptible to stress.
The stress comes from all over: on top of shipping/handling stress, there's also thermal stress as your panel heats up and cools down during everyday use.

This is a design flaw, no question about it.

The worst thing, even though a set survived shipping/handling and is now hanging on the wall intact, it might self-destruct at any time due to now thermal stress thrown in the mix.

Makes me re-think my Samsung plasma purchasing plans.
:-/
post #130 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Just to weigh in my 2 month old samsung 59d8000 just stopped working the other night had the geek squad come out within minutes they found an "impact crack" although no one goes near the tv and there are no signs of physical damage. Of course "impact cracks" are not covered even under the extended warranty so no more tv for me I cant afford a new one. I will fight for a fix or new tv but hold out little hope as the consumer is presumed guilty it seems. Its interesting how many not just similar but almost exact issues people are having with the samsung plasma screens. My warning would be to NOT by this technology even though its been around for some time I think the screens are becoming just to thin and cant handle the heat changes. Good luck to those that do decide to buy I hope you dont ever have to go through this its lots and lots of stress not to mention 2500 dollars of hard earned money gone.
post #131 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzepman View Post

Just to weigh in my 2 month old samsung 59d8000 just stopped working the other night had the geek squad come out within minutes they found an "impact crack" although no one goes near the tv and there are no signs of physical damage. Of course "impact cracks" are not covered even under the extended warranty so no more tv for me I cant afford a new one. I will fight for a fix or new tv but hold out little hope as the consumer is presumed guilty it seems. Its interesting how many not just similar but almost exact issues people are having with the samsung plasma screens. My warning would be to NOT by this technology even though its been around for some time I think the screens are becoming just to thin and cant handle the heat changes. Good luck to those that do decide to buy I hope you dont ever have to go through this its lots and lots of stress not to mention 2500 dollars of hard earned money gone.

It's not the technology as I've never seen any reports from Pioneer owners of spontaneous cracks. I have two Pioneer plasmas and neither has had any issues. My 1010HD is around 6 years old if not older and is still running strong.
post #132 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it is the assembly process.

The OP's tv developed a crack after it was laid down by the techs. Keep that in mind.
post #133 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Why do all these amazing samsung breaks look just like this guy's sippy cup damage?

Hmmm.

http://youtu.be/5btBsYpEfR0

buytme
post #134 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Why do all these amazing samsung breaks look just like this guy's sippy cup damage?

Hmmm.

Yeah everyone who has had a Samdung crack has toddlers throwing sippie cups at them

Thank you Captain Fanboi!
post #135 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Hmmm.

yeah its possible something hit the tv although no one goes near it and I'm the only one who watches this tv.
It didnt happen while I was there.
I'm just venting no doubt its alot of money gone.
I had a rear projection pioneer tv for 11 years that took some objects and never was the worse for wear and that was when the kids were younger and the tv was in the room everybody was usually in. I've had this one for 2 months.
By the way the guy mentions buying a waranty next time which isnt a bad idea but it doesn't cover that physical damage and the brand doesn't matter.
Lastly it was easily the best picture of any tv I ever owned and that makes it even harder to take.
post #136 of 176 Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

It's not the technology as I've never seen any reports from Pioneer owners of spontaneous cracks. I have two Pioneer plasmas and neither has had any issues. My 1010HD is around 6 years old if not older and is still running strong.

Its probably not the technology I don't know. I'm a frustrated owner of a 2500 dollar boat anchor. I loved the tv for the 2 months I owned it.
Well it looks like I'm back to watching my el cheapo RCA tv...man i just feel like crying.
post #137 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Just to add, even though no one is fessing up to hitting the tv and I don't know how hard or even if something hit the tv. I saw my rear projection tv get hit hard enough where I thought o sheet and it came away with nothing more than maybe a smudge on the screen.
I warn people if you have kids and are thinking of buying an expensive lcd or plasma I think you are putting yourself in a position for some serious....stress and anger because tvs are not covered for this type of damage even with an extended warranty and I'm not saying they should be either.
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT put yourself in this position buy something cheap until the kids get older and you know for sure the tv is safe. or at least safer.
David_B likes this.
post #138 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

There are ways to mitigate this danger and I don't understand why anyone with an environment where direct impacts to the screen are a high likelihood won't pony up some extra money and buy a screen protector. These are clear protective panels that attach to the front of your flat panel designed to take impacts.
post #139 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

There are ways to mitigate this danger and I don't understand why anyone with an environment where direct impacts to the screen are a high likelihood won't pony up some extra money and buy a screen protector. These are clear protective panels that attach to the front of your flat panel designed to take impacts.

With all due respect and I'm not trying to start an argument where my tv is placed (in basement) and where the kids are (upstairs usually) direct impacts are not a "high" likelihood. Could it have happened? Anything can happen.
I don't mind "ponying" up extra money I honestly didn't know screen protectors existed.
Would a screen protector effect the picture?
Its just my opinion and we all know what they are worth. I still have to question why buy something so expensive only to have to try to protect it just in case? Physical damage is not covered under any circumstance nor should it be.
In my case I'm out 2500 bucks its a tough pill to swallow.
Again its just my opinion I think parents are better off buying the cheap tv and waiting till the danger is "mitigated". Just sayin.
post #140 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With all due respect and I'm not trying to start an argument where my tv is placed (in basement) and where the kids are (upstairs usually) direct impacts are not a "high" likelihood. Could it have happened? Anything can happen.
I don't mind "ponying" up extra money I honestly didn't know screen protectors existed.
Would a screen protector effect the picture?
Its just my opinion and we all know what they are worth. I still have to question why buy something so expensive only to have to try to protect it just in case? Physical damage is not covered under any circumstance nor should it be.
In my case I'm out 2500 bucks its a tough pill to swallow.
Again its just my opinion I think parents are better off buying the cheap tv and waiting till the danger is "mitigated". Just sayin.

Well, when you have kids around anything goes. Unless you had your room where the Samsung was on lock down, you can't guarantee something won't happen.

It's your call on the amount of risk to take and whether you want to spend that amount of money now or later. The screen protectors can be taken off if you want to do critical viewing. There's plenty of threads on here of others who have had the panels destroyed due to external impacts. Enough where I don't have kids and I'm aware of the options.
post #141 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Liked: 23
should of bought panasonic not samsung
even though i have respect for the D7000-D8000 the panasonic is designed by japanese not koreans. Kinda like me going out and buying a kia vs a honda or acura. The ST30 is where its at until the 2012 models come out.
post #142 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I'd buy a Kia or Hyundai in a second at this point. I wouldn't buy a Samsung TV.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #143 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'd buy a Kia or Hyundai in a second at this point. I wouldn't buy a Samsung TV.

Same here. Hyundai has one of the best customer satisfaction rates going. Samsung, not so much LOL
post #144 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, should have bought the Panasonic, with the built in raising blacks, or the manufacturing mistake they never fixed for the 2010 customers. Or the bad color rendering.

Those panasonic guys sure know how to make a TV huh?

In all seriousness, the Korean's are doing to the Japanese what they did to the world's electronic industry in the '70s.

Ain't history a Bummer? Always seems to repeat itself, then someone crys "but, but, but, it's NOT FAIR" or "The new guy SUCKS!".

Watch out! Here comes China!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

should of bought panasonic not samsung
even though i have respect for the D7000-D8000 the panasonic is designed by japanese not koreans. Kinda like me going out and buying a kia vs a honda or acura. The ST30 is where its at until the 2012 models come out.

buytme
post #145 of 176 Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Most people have like a big home owner's deductable, but it might be worth looking into for your TV.

Sorry your's is broken, it's a real bummer no doubt.

Quote:

yeah its possible something hit the tv although no one goes near it and I'm the only one who watches this tv.
It didnt happen while I was there.
I'm just venting no doubt its alot of money gone.
I had a rear projection pioneer tv for 11 years that took some objects and never was the worse for wear and that was when the kids were younger and the tv was in the room everybody was usually in. I've had this one for 2 months.
By the way the guy mentions buying a waranty next time which isnt a bad idea but it doesn't cover that physical damage and the brand doesn't matter.
Lastly it was easily the best picture of any tv I ever owned and that makes it even harder to take.

buytme
post #146 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Yup, should have bought the Panasonic, with the built in raising blacks, or the manufacturing mistake they never fixed for the 2010 customers. Or the bad color rendering.

Those panasonic guys sure know how to make a TV huh?

In all seriousness, the Korean's are doing to the Japanese what they did to the world's electronic industry in the '70s.

Ain't history a Bummer? Always seems to repeat itself, then someone crys "but, but, but, it's NOT FAIR" or "The new guy SUCKS!".

Watch out! Here comes China!

So you are living in the past as the 2011 Panasonics do not have the "rising blacks". Seems Panny fixed their flucuating brightness rather quickly while it onlt took Samsung a year to do it. Then I read a lot of customers were trying to get the FW to fix it and Samdung wouldnt send it so fellow TV owners have to share the FW. But if Samdungs brightness pops werent bad enough if you were lucky you got the peeling screen too!

Those Samdung guys really know how to make a quality TV huh?
post #147 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM

You guys realize the your TVs, like most things, are made from parts from at least half a dozen different countries, right? Just because a company builds a crappy set, doesn't mean that everything from that country, or even that company, is crap. If you hate Korean products, I suggest you immediately remove all the RAM from your computer...

Sheesh...
Sup4Me likes this.
post #148 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

You guys realize the your TVs, like most things, are made from parts from at least half a dozen different countries, right? Just because a company builds a crappy set, doesn't mean that everything from that country, or even that company, is crap. If you hate Korean products, I suggest you immediately remove all the RAM from your computer...

As I noted in my own post, I have no problem with Korean products. I'd buy a Korean automobile in a second (though I've yet to own one, I know they are excellent cars at this point). The quality of too many Samsung electronics products is suspect, however. That's an opinion, yes, but it's borne out of experiences like those expressed in this thread and seeing the build quality (not the design quality) of Samsung's phones and a whole host of other people I know having TV issues.

Incidentally, my washing machine is Samsung and my refrigerator is built by LG (sold with the Kenmore brand, but clearly an LG).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #149 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

As I noted in my own post, I have no problem with Korean products. I'd buy a Korean automobile in a second (though I've yet to own one, I know they are excellent cars at this point). The quality of too many Samsung electronics products is suspect, however. That's an opinion, yes, but it's borne out of experiences like those expressed in this thread and seeing the build quality (not the design quality) of Samsung's phones and a whole host of other people I know having TV issues.

Incidentally, my washing machine is Samsung and my refrigerator is built by LG (sold with the Kenmore brand, but clearly an LG).

Actually, I wasn't refering to your post...
post #150 of 176 Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

Actually, I wasn't refering to your post...

Jass, I got that, and wasn't so much directly responding to you as indirectly. There are a lot of heated replies here to a bunch of things.

I wanted to established that while some of us have a pretty strong anti-Samsung electronics bias, that doesn't necessarily correlate with any kind of anti-Korean goods bias or even an anti-other-Samsung goods bias.

That's all.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Un55d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page