Samsung Plasma Internal Crack and Samsung's Response (ongoing) - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 176 Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

That's the track record that someone else has had. Not me. My very 1st hdtv was a Samsung. I now own 3. Haven't had a single issue with any of them. And the 1st one was purchased back in 05. So my track record with them is completely different from this. I own a Panasonic as well. Thankfully I've yet to come across a problem with them. Until then. I'll love em both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I have had 4 HDTVs myself, 2 samsungs and 2 pannys. No problems with 3 of them, but one of the 4 was an absolute lemon (let's just say I would never buy another samsung). Too bad since they have excellent PQ.

I've had 2 Samsung DLP HDTVs . Bought first one in 2003 after they first came out. That one lasted 3 years. Color wheel started whining. Tech came out to fix under BB ext. warranty. Tech screwed up light engine. Tv sat for 45 days. No parts avail. so BB gave me newer 50" dlp Samsung. 3 years in got the white dot problem from bad chip. Didn't have ext warranty this time. Figured they had come down so much in price it wasn't worth it. Got on web and found out this was an issue. Samsung actually covered no charge. Original 50" DLP was 3500. in 2003. In 2007 they were down to 899.
I was considering Samsung plasma but won't now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Sorry, I haven't forgotten about this thread. We contacted the president's office, we were denied again, so we are pursuing options outside of working with Samsung.

I've been following this thread b/c I too, have been 'shafted' by Samsung . . . this was a number of years ago . . . with a "laptop". They got into the business for about 1 year or so, then decided to drop the 'laptop' business just like that! But that's another story . . .

I think you DO have ammunition b/c their techs went into the set to replace the BT board. . . have you seen this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy10 View Post

When the technician set my panel down to take out the bad glass they put 5-7 more cracks in the glass. When the replacement was broken they put the panel back together and it cracked more and more until they came and picked the television up 2 weeks later.

Don't tell me they didn't start the fatal ball rolling . . . mad.gif

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

post #153 of 176 Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM

About a month ago my Samsung 58B860 cracked while my wife and I were watching a DVD. We bought the set 2 years and 10 months ago (Sept. 09) and since that time when it was professionally delivered and set up the screen has never been touched...not even to clean it.

Samsung has a definite problem and they won't get another dime of my money based on how they are treating customers who are still within the warranty period.

I still want a plasma and Panasonic does not have this issue so my replacement TV will probably be one of theirs. For now I'm reading a lot of books and working outside.

I'll be glad to be rid of the buzzing anyway. That always bugged me.
post #154 of 176 Old 08-08-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 194
is this issue a problem with the 2012 models? is it too early to tell?
post #155 of 176 Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I've seen with my own eyes and heard of this same exact issue with Panasonic. This is actually the 1st I've heard of this issue with Samsung.
I don't know the ratio, but it's more common with Samsungs to the point where when I Googled for this happening to Panasonics, the top results wound up being for Samsung problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

is this issue a problem with the 2012 models? is it too early to tell?
It would have been (has been? No idea) reported by now, people experienced a number of these in the first few months in previous years
post #156 of 176 Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM

PN64D550C1FXZA Plasma TV purchased on 09/28/2011 .tv turned off while watching .

when the tech came over we found a crack. Still under warranty samsung wont repair

or meet me halfway. I WILL NEVER BUY A SAMSUNG BRAND EVER.
post #157 of 176 Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirusx View Post

PN64D550C1FXZA Plasma TV purchased on 09/28/2011 .tv turned off while watching .

when the tech came over we found a crack. Still under warranty samsung wont repair
or meet me halfway. I WILL NEVER BUY A SAMSUNG BRAND EVER.
Pitiful, I don't blame you. By the way, welcome to the forum.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #158 of 176 Old 10-12-2012, 01:15 PM

[Does anyone have any advice..
We got ours in April, but never set it up due to the fact we were moving in August. So, technically..as of today, the tv has been set-up 2 months.. and out of nowhere..it cracks!! I dont even know where to start.. I know warranty is probably going to prove useless![/SIZE]
Any help would be appreciated.. we honestly can not afford to run out and even buy a 19 inch right now!!.. this move has set us back so much..
post #159 of 176 Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I have gotten a couple units taken care of when this has happened. Happened once on a NEC and once on a Samsung. The bottom line in many people damage there own sets and try to get them swapped for free and of course this ruins it for the guy who actually just had his unit spontaneously crack for no reason.

The only real chance you have is to try to get the manufacturer out to your location. Then tell them if I damaged this unit, where was it trauma at that caused the cracked screen. The back, sides of the unit, and bezel are perfect. There is no chipped glass on the front, if I damaged this unit where is the trauma that caused the crack? I went even further for my clients and got in touch with some executive techs and asked them questions about glass. With the heating and cooling of glass is it possible to have a screen spontaneously crack for no reason? Got no real answer. Went further about the above comments and said, go to this persons house if you see no trauma to the set this may be a glass defect correct? Got a yes. I even went further to say, why should we trust this person who is claiming defective glass, lets see if an special parts where ordered for anyone in his area, like a bezel, of back . As these parts are rarely ordered and easy to track. In the end they swapped the sets. Only had two cases and won both.

Be curious even though you do not want to be. Know they will blame you from start to finish. Use the above steps, if at first you do not get the right answer, try and try again !
post #160 of 176 Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 AM

I seem to be the newest victim of this! I bought my Samsung plasma tv in august last year. Ive had no problems up to now. Two days ago i was sat reading the paper with the TV on in the background Suddenly the Tv went off. It usually does this as it has some kind of timer on it and you get 60 seconds to press ok. But this time when i tried to turn it back on it wouldnt work. Yesterday, i noticed a crack the same as being described here, like a spider web. There was no one else in the room with me and definitely NOTHING struck the tv. Im waiting for Samsung to get back to me altough after reading this im not holding out much hope frown.gif I havent told them about the crack yet as hadnt noticed it when we first called them. Should i tell them before they send someone out or not?
post #161 of 176 Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem with a 55" plasma.

My son was gaming, came down for diner and when he returned, the TV would not turn. We then noticed the cracked on the inside of the screen. He insist that he never touched it. 13 month old so not covered under warranty. Just out to by another tv, it will not be a Samsung Plasma.
post #162 of 176 Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Hi,

Dont give up contact Samsung direct. Mine was out of warranty too but Samsung said they would extend the warranty (if i still had my receipt) as a goodwill gesture and fix it. This was when i didnt know it had a crack and just reported the tv wouldnt turn on. If you live in England there is a Sale of Goods Act where they have to still repair it even if it is out of warranty, if its a defect , as goods you buy are expected to last a reasonable amount of time and 13 months in your case and 14 months in mine IS NOT a reasonable amount of time for an expensive tv to last!

After reading what everyone had wrote about theirs not getting fixed i didnt hold out much hope so decided to wait for the engineer to come before telling them about the crack. They came today and they are going to fix it! They told me it wasnt the 1st one they had seen and agreed, on seeing the tv ,that it definitely hadnt been struck and the crack was internal and they are going to replace my screen. smile.gif:
post #163 of 176 Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 11
You just described my experience. Just like you and all these other posters I got pissed, but I took it a step further. I created a repository for people to submit their defects to so they can be viewed in a sortable format for lawyers and other 'victims' can browse and maybe initiate class action lawsuits. This is the strongest course of action I could think of, and considering the magnitude of its scope, this repository could prove to be a valuable tool. Here's the address:

http://squabblesphere.com/defects

Join me in doing something about this disturbingly successful scam Samsung has going.

P.S. since this tool is brand new expect low volume at first, but tell people about it. Report any errors or suggestions to michaelrstewart1 at gmail dot com.
deblo likes this.
post #164 of 176 Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Liked: 11
Accidentally duped my post.
post #165 of 176 Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM

I purchased a PN59D7000 in December of 2011. In June 2012 I had the infamous spider crack under the panel. I went through the process of having the technician come out and communicated with the folks out of New Jersey that facilitate warranty claims and was approved for the repair. Since the panel was on back order they replaced the unit with a brand new PN60E7000. It is their 2012 model. The very next week the technician was back again to replace the main board on the new unit because the hdmi inputs were not responding properly. Last week the infamous spider crack occurred on this TV! I contacted Samsung and they scheduled a tech to come out. He came on yesterday and today I received a call from the tech's company that Samsung is declining to do the repair under warranty. This is unbelievable.

The picture on this TV is fantastic when the TV operates, but there is clearly a problem with their panels. I am about to call Samsung and contest this because I don't have that kind of money to throw away. If they refuse to fix it I will not pay to get it repaired. I will throw it away and buy another brand.
post #166 of 176 Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM

I am apparently the latest victim of the mysterious cracked Samsung Plasma TV. We had our 51" Samsung for 1 Year and a DAY! I think Samsung has this defect down to the science, don't you think? We were sitting watching TV when a thin blue line appeared across the screen and once it reached the other side the screen went black. There was NO cracks on or under the top screen at this point. Called Squaretrade who serviced the extended warranty, sent them pictures (first thing they asked was if there was a crack). They verified from the pictures there wasn't, advised me to unplug the set for 2 hours then attempt to turn it back on. In the meantime my claim had been approved and they would send someone out to take a look at it & order parts.

I left it off until the next day, turned the set on the screen flickered. I heard some buzz noise and there very clearly appeared a crack! I contacted Indusys Technology, Inc. since that's who would now be facilitating the repair. Explained about the crack appearing and they advised me someone would be out withing 24 hours. 3 days later the technician arrives, takes a look at the crack and is at first disgusted that Indusys Technology, Inc. sent him out to diagnose a crack, I am assuming since he can't do anything for it and will be making no money for driving 1.5 hours to my home? He calls ITI while standing in front of the TV and explained to them the screen was cracked and there was no sign of physical damage, they advised him to take pictures and send to them. He explained several times to them he didn't believe this was a CID situation (Customer Induced Damage he later explained to me). He basically told me though he believed I didn't damage the screen, proving it was going to be an exhausting situation for myself since Samsung considers ALL cracks a form of CID, Squaretrade would most likely do the same. He told me this was about the 10th Samsung he had seen with the mysterious crack and I would have to be prepared to fight them to get it resolved. This all took place on 1/8/13, on 1/9/13 I received an email from ITI asking me to complete a survey based on my repair experience & my case had been closed. I called them immediately, they advised me another technician was reviewing the photos and report from the tech that was here and he would call me back on 1/10/13. He's yet to call or return my call from 1/11/13. I received an email today 1/13/13 from Squaretrade saying my claim had been closed & asked me to complete a survey. UGGGHHHH So tomorrow I will be calling Squaretrade and letting them have it! I never would have turned the TV back on had they not advised me to! I am already beyond frustrated with this and after reading all these post of the same situation I can already assume I will be out $1200 for a TV that has turned out to be a piece of crap!
post #167 of 176 Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 462
It's already been established in the industry that some components inside the TV can fail with enough sudden force to crack the panel's thin delicate glass from behind. It has happened right in front of people's faces while they were just watching TV - they'd hear a sudden pop or see a sudden screen anomaly quickly followed by the screen cracking. Many people here have successfully gotten their cracked panels replaced under warranty when it was determined that an internal failure caused the panel to crack. For Samsung and EW companies to continually blame owners for causing the damage and denying warranty coverage on such a widespread known issue is astounding.

Definitely escalate this to a higher level. Search this forum (and others) about the panel being cracked by component failures and show them to the people making the decisions about your case.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #168 of 176 Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM

I just had my 50inch Samsung Plasma TV crack as well. At first I thought it was because my 4 year old hit it with something... but after looking at it and finding these complaints online I am confident that this crack is a defect. Best Buy tech coming out today to take pics. If they deny my claim, I'm taking them to small claims court...
post #169 of 176 Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 AM

*UPDATE*

I did call Samsung and initially they refused to cover this issue under warranty, but I didn't give up. After much diligence, Samsung agreed to replace the entire panel if I would just pay the service technician $245. I did agree to that. Once the panel arrived to the service technician's company I had him come out to install it. After the installation he powered up the unit and there was a white vertical line along the entire left side of the panel! He immediately called Samsung and reported the issue and left me holding the $245 check. He told me I would hear from Samsung in a few days. About 3 or 4 days later Samsung called me and offered me yet another brand new unit. I asked if there were any other options as I've been dealing with this issue ever since December 2011. They told me I could either do a replacement or a refund. I opted for the refund. I have yet to receive it, but do expect it in the next day or so.

As I mentioned before, the picture quality on the unit is fantastic. The problem is the design of the unit. I have Samsung cell phones and other products made by them. I have had no problems with any of their other products. Having said that, I will never purchase another Samsung plasma, unless they start doing something differently. I am no "fanboy" of any manufacturer. I now have to decide what I am going to replace this unit with. I hope that this post regarding my experience is helpful to someone.
post #170 of 176 Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Please no one reply to this thread saying your F8500 has mysteriously cracked. eek.gif

500 gigs FTW.
post #171 of 176 Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM

I have a PN64D8000 and I am experiencing the same problem after having the TV a little over 2 years. I've sent pictures to Samsung's Executive Customer Relations (whatever that means) and after reading other threads, I'm not expecting much. I'm ready to get rid of my Samsung TV's and refuse delivery on the fridge I just bought.
post #172 of 176 Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The thread that wont die eek.gif

My 2010 C680 (C7000 equivalent but no SMART features) just spider cracked. Mount hung. Cracked on impact and screen went black from small wooden block thrown by 2yo. 2yo is not a very good thrower so I do wonder if it was already stressed from mounting. No way would I fraud Samsung as my family has ethics so...

I do plan on contacting them just to see what their recommendation is.

Very very sad day for me.
post #173 of 176 Old 08-04-2013, 09:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

My 2010 C680 (C7000 equivalent but no SMART features) just spider cracked. Mount hung. Cracked on impact and screen went black from small wooden block thrown by 2yo. 2yo is not a very good thrower so I do wonder if it was already stressed from mounting. No way would I fraud Samsung as my family has ethics so... I do plan on contacting them just to see what their recommendation is.

That glass is extremely thin and fragile and the impact from that small wooden block thrown at it is 100% of the cause of that crack. It doesn't take much to crack a Plasma screen like that. Wall mounting doesn't stress the TV or contribute to cracking the panel when something is thrown at it like that. I wouldn't even bother calling Samsung about it, they'll just tell you it's out of warranty and recommend you take it to a repair shop and pay out of pocket to have the panel replaced, which surely wouldn't be worth the cost since a new TV is probably cheaper.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #174 of 176 Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I didn't realize this was a widespread issue, my friends Samsung plasma cracked just like this and he took the loss selling it for parts before drinking the liquid crystal kool aid frown.gif
post #175 of 176 Old 08-10-2013, 02:24 PM

I've read a bunch of posts on this site and here are my simple FACTS! I spent 4 1/2 years working for Time Warner / Bright House as "The Cable Guy" and another 2 1/2 years working for a home theater company, so you can say, I've have a lot of experience with TVs. I bought a Samsung PN64D8000 Plasma In 2011, witch is on of their highest end tvs. I know how to handle and set up AV Equipment and all of mine looks as new as the day I bought it, not a scratch. I set up my plasma with the stand it came with and placed it on 6' wide entertainment credenza where it has been ever since. I treat it like a baby, it has not been bumped, impacted, scratched, misused, worked on by anyone, and it has performed like a CHAMP! HOWEVER!!! Today I opened up some blinds and let in some light and to my dismay I noticed one 1 inch fracture and four others 1/4" to 1/16" inside the clear outer bezel along the bottom left hand side of my TV. It is obvious to me that This is a design flaw, THERE IS NO REASON THIS SHOULD BE HAPPENING, PERIOD!!!
Of course its out of warranty so Samsung was quick refer me to the nearest Samsung authorized repair center so I can spend my hard earned money to fix the problem.
I love my TV, but I will recommend that no one buy a Samsung TV with a clear bezel bordering the TV to anyone I come across and I will tell all my friends and associates in the industry to steer there clients away from them.
post #176 of 176 Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That glass is extremely thin and fragile and the impact from that small wooden block thrown at it is 100% of the cause of that crack. It doesn't take much to crack a Plasma screen like that. Wall mounting doesn't stress the TV or contribute to cracking the panel when something is thrown at it like that. I wouldn't even bother calling Samsung about it, they'll just tell you it's out of warranty and recommend you take it to a repair shop and pay out of pocket to have the panel replaced, which surely wouldn't be worth the cost since a new TV is probably cheaper.

The 3rd party tech who called me said to save my money for a new plasma and gave to idea to get some cut plexiglass from home improvement store to afix to front of new one. I brought that up to my wife and she basically said hell no we aren't rednecking a tv in our living room. Now I must be berry berry sneaky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable AV Guy View Post

I love my TV, but I will recommend that no one buy a Samsung TV with a clear bezel bordering the TV to anyone I come across and I will tell all my friends and associates in the industry to steer there clients away from them.

If only you had more than two posts for credibility...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Un55d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page