pioneer krp-500m - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have a question that needs to be answered. I found a krp-500m for a modest price that I think is reasonable(< than 1500). How does this monitor compare to all of the new set today including led from all brands. I have until Monday to make up my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It has the best blacklevels of any plasmas today(0.0004). you can adjust the picture almost to perfection already in the common picture menu.

Check out for severe image retention before you buy it. Personally, I think 500M is the best tv out there.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing today can even come close to the 2D picture quality that this set can produce and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #4 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpax478 View Post

Hi I have a question that needs to be answered. I found a krp-500m for a modest price that I think is reasonable(< than 1500). How does this monitor compare to all of the new set today including led from all brands. I have until Monday to make up my mind.

Other than its great blacks, its terrible. Phospher trails, poor A/R filter, inferior processing compares to Sammys, fat, power hungry, motion resolution below 1080p, input lag.

Seriously its been surpassed in all areas but Mll. Anyone who denies this is a Kuro fanboy.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Terrible? Don't listen to such delusions. Phosphor trails visible to a very small minority. Debatable inferior processing, eh? Do you plan to watch a lot of standard def content? If not, nonissue (and you may have an external video upscaler that does the job better anyway). "Fat" has nothing to do with video performance and is in the eye of the beholder. Power "hungry" has nothing to do with video performance and I'd love to see the measured differences between 2011 models and the 500m after calibration. Motion resolution is around 900p or slightly above. Have the new models finally stopped resolution loss on motion, or is that just wishful thinking?
post #6 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobl3 View Post

Other than its great blacks, its terrible. Phospher trails, poor A/R filter, inferior processing compares to Sammys, fat, power hungry, motion resolution below 1080p, input lag.

Seriously its been surpassed in all areas but Mll. Anyone who denies this is a Kuro fanboy.

kpax478, here is D-Nice's rebuttal to the utter nonsense quoted above.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:

Then add me to the list of Kuro Fanboys!! And i don't even own one. I've installed two friends' 9G Kuros and i visit them from time to time and they still look better than any other non-Kuro TV i've ever seen. AR filter is excellent. It's fatness is a non-issue. It has a depth that no TV can match, and it's build quality is Lexus-like compared to your Kia.

Do you have any personal experience with a Kuro? Or are you just thread-crapping again?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My personal opinion:

I recently bought a 500M and am loving it. I have a Panasonic VT25 to compare with. I honestly was quite shocked to find that the difference is night and day. The only advantage the Panasonic has is 3D, apps, phosphor trails(although rarely noticeable on 500M) and maybe brightness (ISF day will fix that). I can't stand the Panasonic's severe panning judder or flicker even in 96hz. The AR filter for the Panasonic is also slightly better, however the Pioneer has better overall picture quality because of deeper blacks, more accurate color, greater picture clarity/processing, and a better selection of user settings. The styling is also much nicer than the panasonic.

Right of the bat your will notice the quality of the pioneer...from the box(yes the packaging!) to the remote control, tv stand, user manual and the TV itself. I say go for it, you wont regret it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention...the "fat" 500M is 1.1 inch thinner than the VT25.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM

I find it funny that the 500m/101's 2.5" thickness is considered "fat" by some.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by elDub13 View Post

I find it funny that the 500m/101's 2.5" thickness is considered "fat" by some.

This is america remember?

home theater addict
post #11 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Buy it and keep it as long as you can (unless there's something that comes out that totally trumps it). Just make sure there's nothing wrong with it before putting down the cash.

Quote:

I seriously doubt you've ever had the opportunity to look at any Pioneer plasma, let alone a KRP. In fact, it's pretty obvious.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Assuming there's nothing wrong with it, buy it and don't look back (unless you want 3D).

I was surprised to learn that even 2011 plasmas have their host of problems, like fluctuating brightness levels. Just get the KRP and rest easy for a few years until the other companies work through their growing pains.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:

if all is good with the monitor and there are no problems Buy it. This panel has been the best ever made by pioneer and is still at the top of the helm by current standards. yhea it may not have all the internet surfing capabilities, 3D but for pure visual and PQ standards its the best. at least for a while.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Ive had my 500m since the summer of 2009. Got it for $16oo from my buddy that does custom installation. Havent had ANY problems at all. Best TV money can buy, even better than todays TVs. Valueelctronics does a TV shoot out every year with the best TVs out there. D-Nice is the expert in this shoot out. While they are getting close, still, nothing compares to the 500m. Dunno about 2011 as they havent done the shoot out this year yet. I have many friends that are extremely jealous of my TV because they cant believe how AMAZING it looks compared to their sets. Buy it, you will never ever ever think twice about it. Best money I have ever spent for personal satisfaction!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page