need help with my Samsung Plasma Please! No Picture! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 50 inch samsung plasma tv, model HP-R5052, when I got it, it turns on, but no picture comes up. if you leave it on for a while you can start to see a very distorded image of whats playing on the tv, menu will not come up, I did some reading and decided to check the fuses in the tv, I found the fuse on the X-main board was blown, I replaced it with a temporary fuse, and now the set wont turn on at all with a good fuse it, you plug it in and it clicks and the green lights come on and go out and the blue light blinks 4 times, after about 20 seconds it does it again, blinks, clicks. and keeps repeating. (note this is just plugged it i did not press power, that does nothing. its in standy or something) pull the fuse back out of the xmain, and the tv starts up again with the power button, samsung chime, and blank screen. I am stumped. Can anyone help please? I cannot visually see any bulging caps anywhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Were this my problem, I'd just return it
post #3 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the496rocket View Post

I just got a 50 inch samsung plasma tv, model HP-R5052, when I got it, it turns on, but no picture comes up. if you leave it on for a while you can start to see a very distorded image of whats playing on the tv, menu will not come up, I did some reading and decided to check the fuses in the tv, I found the fuse on the X-main board was blown, I replaced it with a temporary fuse, and now the set wont turn on at all with a good fuse it, you plug it in and it clicks and the green lights come on and go out and the blue light blinks 4 times, after about 20 seconds it does it again, blinks, clicks. and keeps repeating. (note this is just plugged it i did not press power, that does nothing. its in standy or something) pull the fuse back out of the xmain, and the tv starts up again with the power button, samsung chime, and blank screen. I am stumped. Can anyone help please? I cannot visually see any bulging caps anywhere...

Usually fuses blow for a reason. It can be an external power surge, but more often (if you've got surge protectors etc..) it's caused by a faulting part internally. Is the replacement fuse blown as well (have you checked it?) or is it still intact? If you really want to, you could try to find where the internal short is, but that might only get you so far since an internal short can mean multiple things are blown (either at the same time or as a result of the initial short). If you have the receipt, I'd just get a replacement and stop messing around with it, but that's just me.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

i should have been more clear. i bought the tv broken and i am trying to fix it. the thing that i cant figure out is why it turns on with no fuse in the xmain but will not power up with a fuse in...
post #5 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Probably there is a fault with the X-board, where when a good fuse is installed, it activates the auto-protection shutdown circuit. Without the fuse, the X-board is isolated from the circuit, and the TV tries to start normally.

The service manual here might help.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i should have been more clear. i bought the tv broken and i am trying to fix it. the thing that i cant figure out is why it turns on with no fuse in the xmain but will not power up with a fuse in...
Ah gotcha, now I understand. As Tom said, when you have the fuse in it will try to boot the shorted component (xmain). With some electronics this will just cause the fuse to blow again. It's not, so like Tom said it's auto-shutting down to prevent further damage. When the fuse is blown it's the same as having no fuse in there. As long as the rest of the display can turn on without that component (regardless of whether or not it'll show the picture right) and there's no other checks to see if xmain is functioning, it'll turn on but anything dependent on the shorted component won't function properly even if it can technically run without it.

This is a common problem with receivers - you'll have one channel short but the other will still run because they're isolated ie you get mono instead of stereo. Put a good fuse in and it'll either blow again or it'll force shutdown if the device has that circuitry.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

ok cool, that helps, i triple checked all the capacitors in this set and cant find any with problems... im gonna pull off the xmain and check it more closely. being that the tv will turn on without the fuse is indication that the power supply board is ok right?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ok cool, that helps, i triple checked all the capacitors in this set and cant find any with problems... im gonna pull off the xmain and check it more closely. being that the tv will turn on without the fuse is indication that the power supply board is ok right?
Not necessarily. I'm not familiar with your tv so I can't say for sure. If you have more than one power supply/amp in the device then the amp for xmain (or something else linked to it) could be blown while anything on a separate power circuit continues to function.

I couldn't figure out how to get the service manual for your model from that link above to be able to tell you more specifically.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

i pulled the xmain, checked the caps, the 3 huge ones appear to be shorted per an ohmmeter, but I am thinking it me be bacause the cap is so large the battery in the meter doesnt have enough ummph to put a charge to it to increase the resistance? cause the smaller ones start at near 0 and then climb.

and by the way you described it it seems as though if either the power supply or the xmain failed theres a possibility it took out the other? that would really suck...
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Found the service manual here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/34807692/Samsung-Hp-r5052

Will try to have a look through it later when I have a chance.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

TYVM sir!
post #12 of 13 Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

So, I have an update, I replaced the X-MAIN, and now the tv powers on like its supossed to, but the image is nothing but vertical lines top to bottom, not the entire screen, just whats being displayed. menu is the same way, un-readable. also, the image is kind of faint, when I first powered it up with the new board it was really bright... not its dim, i was messing with the buttons maybe I changed something in the menu? either that or something else went bad.

Any ideas on the new problem? I am leaning towards bad y buffers and possibly bad ymain? I just want some opinions so I dont thro money at it if its not gonna work...
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM

thanks for the update. Now you need to go over to the other side and check a few things.

Let the TV run for 10 minutes then compare the heat that radiates off the x-sus aluminum heatsinks to the Y-Sus heatsinks. Be careful. If you have an IR thermometer, this is best and they should be around 120-140 degrees F if working properly. You can also do a careful hand touch on the heat sinks themselves to compare the temps from one side to the other. They should feel too hot to keep your fingers on. If room temp, then on to the fuses.

Check the Y-Sus board for blown fuses. Make sure to check all the green pico fuses and the ceramic one under the chassis crossmember. Don't forget tp check f5005 hanging out by its lonesome self.

If those fuses are blown, then you may likely need to replace the Y-Main as well.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page