post #301 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

These are always interesting discussions and even those who are not happy with the black levels still confide that the overall picture from the LG is very good to excellent so the overall consensus would way say that the LG is an admirable all rounder, myself included.
Mind you, we do not have the green tinge, floating blacks, phosphor trailing, peeling screen filters, buzzing, fan noise etc, etc.. so we do not get much mention in the forums, there have been a few with problems but that's par for the course for items mass produced on an assembly line.
Which leads me to my next question, I really loved the picture quality of the PK/PX950s every time I compared them to the Panasaonics and Samsungs and opted to wait for for the PZs to arrive which they never did until recently, but the only review of the PZ950 (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1305795700) mentioned blacks took a major step back from the PK/PX 950s so instead of waiting I jumped on the remaining stock of the PX.
I'm impressed with the blacks on my PX and they are a huge improvement over my 2008 LG PG25 so I'd say I'm pretty happy with this set so far.
There we're a few who had problems with DSE on their PXs and LG swapped them out for the PZ and they seem to feel the PZs are a step up, anyone else care to jump in with their observations, excluding 3D, gaming and on line services ......

I was one of those that exchanged the PX for the PZ. The blacks on the tv are identical to the PX, and maybe even slightly worse. The panel itself however is flawless, where my old PX was a mess from the DSE. The overall picture is also a bit better, along with fantastic color. The most noticeable upgrade is 3D though. It looks much better on the PZ.

The greyish blacks are getting to me.... but if Turrican's potis tweaking method works and delivers better blacks, I would prefer it over the Samsung and Panasonic. I'm too chicken to try it without more info on it though, and he hasn't responded to my messages about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sorry, but in the forums I am registered, there are way too many priv. messages to answer them all in little time.

You have the service manual already?

Ok, if you want to make it simple and more easy, you could concentrate only on two potis-> Set_Up and Set_Dn.

By balancing them out until you get pictureanomalies you should get a good amount of extra MLL!

I hope you are able to read my text, cause as I have learned from 1coolDad, my grammar is all but crap.

@1coolDad, rob80
Seriously, I see this problem from a distance, I call normal. The pwm noise near black, that LG offers, is clearly thicker than the Panasonic approach.

Cause of that, I don't know, what to think of fish' statement about the green noise in dark areas on the VT30, cause this behaviour is a LG' thing not a Panasonic's.
post #303 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Sorry, but in the forums I am registered, there are way too many priv. messages to answer them all in little time.

Ok, if you want to make it simple and more easy, you could concentrate only on two potis-> Set_Up and Set_Dn.

By balancing them out until you get pictureanomalies you should get a good amount of extra MLL!

I hope you are able to read my text, cause as I have learned from 1coolDad, my grammar is all but crap.

@1coolDad, rob80
Seriously, I see this problem from a distance, I call normal. The pwm noise near black, that LG offers, is clearly thicker than the Panasonic approach.

Cause of that, I don't know, what to think of fish' statement about the green noise in dark areas on the VT30, cause this behaviour is a LG' thing not a Panasonic's.

Thanks Turrican,

I don't have the service manual. Could you provide a link to it?

Once I try it out, I'll let everyone know if it made a big difference and if it was worth it.

I never opened a panel before. I assume I can leave it on the stand upright and then just remove all the screws and pop the back panel off?
post #304 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

It’s mentioned here http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasm...gt30-st30.html , although some mention it can be calibrated out, others say no.
Also when I picked up my first LG in 2008 I found all the Panasonics had this green cast which would drive me bonkers, the color on the LG was a breath of fresh air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I was one of those that exchanged the PX for the PZ. The blacks on the tv are identical to the PX, and maybe even slightly worse.

Sorry to hear that, so far most dark scenes are pretty good (black) on my PX, not as black as the top tier Panasonics but very acceptable, but considering LG's overall picture quality I have no complaints.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #305 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

have you actually seen a GT30 or a VT30 for that matter?
Both THE GT and VT are quite
sophisticated,beautiful,elegantly designed HDTVs, as is the LG PZ950
THE VT30s one sheet of glass
designs black border,is thicker (wider) than the GT30s high gloss black metal frame (bezel).

Yes, I've seen the GT and VT both in person, repeatedly, as I spent months researching models before choosing the PZ after having only seen the PX in person. I just like the one sheet of glass look better of the VT even if it is a little wider. All of the flush screen tvs, the VT, PZ and the Sony HX929 are all the particular style that I like. The frame on my XBR9 looks HIDEOUS to me now compared to the new styling. I can't remember the model of the Samsung (7000/8000?) that has the awesomely thin (1/2-5/8 or so) bezel but it was SILVER! I think style has gotten amazing the last couple of years and chose something that I thought would integrate with the looks of all my other components and not look dated, hopefully, before the next big change (4K?) comes around. Didn't mean to offend.
post #306 of 1122 Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:

I was one of those that exchanged the PX for the PZ. The blacks on the tv are identical to the PX, and maybe even slightly worse. The panel itself however is flawless, where my old PX was a mess from the DSE. The overall picture is also a bit better, along with fantastic color. The most noticeable upgrade is 3D though. It looks much better on the PZ.

The greyish blacks are getting to me.... but if Turrican's potis tweaking method works and delivers better blacks, I would prefer it over the Samsung and Panasonic. I'm too chicken to try it without more info on it though, and he hasn't responded to my messages about it.

As previously mentioned in this thread, i totally agree with bhazard regarding the PZ950 performance. It is far superior when compared to the PX950 but then again a PX with no faults might look awesome too, unfortunately i wouldn't know. There may be better plasmas out there but i like to think i am picky and i like the PZ950. After all my PZ is my fifth tv in 3 months and i am finally happy. It may not be the best on the market but i got mine for a sweet C$949 in the end so no complaining here :-)
post #307 of 1122 Old 07-26-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks Turrican,

I don't have the service manual. Could you provide a link to it?

Here is all the stuff you need:

http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...50/50PZ950.htm
post #308 of 1122 Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:

Just to demonstrate a case in point, Pioneer may not be considered high-end in the Audio world but still managed to produce some excellent audio equipment, ditto plasma displays, the same cannot be said for the other three manufactures.

LG, Panasonic, and Samsung are mid grade displays. At this point there are not enough real high end companies making plasma or LED's. Just one display that I know of >>> Click Here. I bet they buy the main panel from Panasonic too as Runco used to do when they where making plasma's. For the price difference I would buy the panasoni and add a nice scaler !!
post #309 of 1122 Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_dvb View Post

Here is all the stuff you need:

http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...50/50PZ950.htm

Interesting stuff.
The PZ450 and PZ950 have the same R3 panel but different contrast ratios so there may be something to Turrican4D adjustments.
And if you have a previous model here's the full list.
http://136.166.4.200/SubPages/Directview_PDP.htm
Check out the video under Plasma Rom Update "The Mal-Discharge Correction Presentation"

Although, unless your a trained technician I'd leave well enough alone.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #310 of 1122 Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

LG, Panasonic, and Samsung are mid grade displays. At this point there are not enough real high end companies making plasma or LED's. Just one display that I know of >>> Click Here. I bet they buy the main panel from Panasonic too as Runco used to do when they where making plasma's. For the price difference I would buy the panasoni and add a nice scaler !!

Coming from the audio side of things there are always small companies emerging who tweak existing products to improve their overall performance, the panels themselves are obviously cost prohibitive but I would not be surprised if there aren't a few industrious tinkerers right now working on upgraded video boards to get the most out of the panels themselves.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #311 of 1122 Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

LOTS of good info from that manual! It even details the Service menu, and if you're really good you can use a harmony remote to get into it instead of the special LG service remote. Good stuff, thanks.

I'm going to try for more MLL thurs or fri.
post #312 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Ok, I just checked my PX950 with a gray scale bar on DVE (Digital Video Essentials) and I can see what you are referring to. But other than that the picture from a reasonable viewing distance is excellent and the issue is non-existent with normal viewing of movies so I'm not too sure what your point is.
Keep in mind these are consumer products and for LG or any other manufacturer to make it perfect at the price point these units are targeted for IMO is beyond expectations and not going to happen.
I needed a set to watch films and a bit of TV and to my eyes and many others we chose LG over Panasonics and Samsung and not because they are more affordable but because they produced the best overall color and natural picture. Maybe in comparison they do not produce the best black in dark scenes, but black overall is pretty darn black.
It's fun to scrutinize our new toys but lets not get too anal and spoil the fun.

And in the end,you are right!

We do tend to get too anal and spoil the fun,for ourselfs and other's!! me included!!!
Good point!!!! Thanks,for the insight!!!!!
post #313 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

And in the end,you are right!

We do tend to get too anal and spoil the fun,for ourselfs and other's!! me included!!!
Good point!!!! Thanks,for the insight!!!!!

One the hand if we didn't, the manufacturers would still be happy getting our hard earned dollars for one of these.
Attachment 218481
LL

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #314 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMeister View Post

@ smpearce22

I've had my 50pz950 for about 3 months, and overall it's pretty solid. I don't have any issues with black level, and all the other features and performance are pretty solid. My main concern (and what prompted me to search for a new tv) is the image brightness. I prefer a brighter image and usually have lights on while watching the tv. I have tried the calibrated settings on flatpanelshd, and like a previous poster, did not like the results, primarily how dark the image was. I can adjust the brightness, gamma, and black level, but it washes out the blacks and colors, so no good there either. I did end up buying a LG 55lv5500 (not a huge fan of 3D), but there was terrible flashlighting and clouding from the edge lit backlighting, and I am in the process of returning it. I may end up going for a full array with local dimming, like the new sony xbr-55hx929 or maybe the older LG 55le8500.

All that being said, the pz950 is awesome when watching bluray at night with minimal lighting, but that is not the norm for my viewing habits. Also, as an aside, I don't play any type of games on it, so no opinion from a gaming perspective. Once I get the new tv, i'll be posting my 50pz950 on the classifieds page here on this site.

I finally received my Sony XBR-55hx929 and now the 50PZ950 needs a new home. If anyone is interested, check the classifieds link at the top of the page.
post #315 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Does anyone know how to get an LG 60PZ950 out of "store mode"?

I can't find anything in the menus or in the manual. ...and so far I can't find anything online... still searching.

I have no idea how it got turned on, but it's got banners & such scrolling across the screen advertising all the TV's features & it keeps switching to "vivid" mode. Aggravating!

I'm gonna try setting everything back to factory defaults in a few mins & see if that works, but there's gotta be a way to disable this without resetting everything.

Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
post #316 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robskimeister View Post

Does anyone know how to get an LG 60PZ950 out of "store mode"?

Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Go to menu, options, should be at the bottom, click, toggle to home use.

exit.

All your inputs are now on Vivid so you'll need to go through each one to change them.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #317 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM

I was able to reset the TV to "home" mode by going to setup --> options --> initial setup & go through the initial setup again.

I guess it's a good thing that I hadn't spent hours calibrating my settings (yet) as many folks have done.

I still don't know what caused the set to enter this mode since I've been using the TV for a couple of weeks now. ??

So this concerns me. What if I HAD spent a lot of time calibrating everything? ...and what if it happens again in the future?

Please let me know if anyone has any info about this... and if I find any info I'll post it here to help others who may run into this issue.

Thanks!
post #318 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Cool! I found it! I feel like an idiot now! The "toggle" option was off the bottom of the screen & I had to scroll down to find it!

THANK YOU!

I figured there was some "secret" command only known to salesmen in those big electronics stores!

I'm still wondering how "store mode" got turned on, though. Weird! Oh well... at least there's a way to easily turn it off if it happens again!
post #319 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So this concerns me. What if I HAD spent a lot of time calibrating everything? ...and what if it happens again in the future?

Please let me know if anyone has any info about this... and if I find any info I'll post it here to help others who may run into this issue.

Thanks!

Hi Rob

It just switches all your inputs back to Vivid but does not affect your calibrations, thank god, but you'll have to go to each input and change them back to THX, Expert etc.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #320 of 1122 Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Received a new PZ950 last Friday from Amazon and am having problems with the picture. I have it hooked up to my Sony receiver via HDMI cable and have HDMI cables from my Verizon set top box and my Blu Ray player feeding into the receiver.

When there is a bright daytime scene, the picture on the TV looks fine. But on indoor and darker scenes, the background gets washed out and I get waves that look like something from a topography map. It also happens on white and other light covered backgrounds as well – like an ad or a news program. Its almost as if the characters have an energy field around them that you can see. Just a little while ago, during a HD ad with a white background the waves were all over the place and I could hear buzzing from the TV. I have these problems with the blu ray player as well. I tried hooking the STB directly to the TV via component cables and had the same result. It is the same on all the picture modes (THX, Vivid, Standard etc.)

Called LG and their rep walked me through some things that did no good. He was going to dispatch a tech but then he accidently hung up on me. I have not called back yet and am wondering if it is even worth it. I really want this TV to work for me because it has shown some flashes of a great picture but a lot of times the waves and the blotchiness make it unwatchable. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. This is the first plasma I have owned.
post #321 of 1122 Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uch1986 View Post

Received a new PZ950 last Friday from Amazon and am having problems with the picture. Its almost as if the characters have an energy field around them that you can see. Just a little while ago, during a HD ad with a white background the waves were all over the place and I could hear buzzing from the TV.
Called LG and their rep walked me through some things that did no good. He was going to dispatch a tech but then he accidently hung up on me. I have not called back yet and am wondering if it is even worth it. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas. This is the first plasma I have owned.

I think I'd definately give LG a call back and get the tech out. What stands out to me is that you say you have buzzing. My PZ is absolutely silent and has none of the issues you state so I think, unfortunately, that you may have a bad panel. At least your problem showed immediately instead of waiting till you had it broke in or, like what usually happens to me, two weeks after the warranty expires!

BTW, did you try bypassing the receiver and hooking sources direct to see if that changed anything? If you did and still have the same problems and buzzing, I'd get it checked out. Good luck!
post #322 of 1122 Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Hi Rob

It just switches all your inputs back to Vivid but does not affect your calibrations, thank god, but you'll have to go to each input and change them back to THX, Expert etc.
Thanks for that info... that's good to know. I was planning to "attempt" to calibrate everything once it's past the break-in period.

I'd love to get it professionally calibrated, but for the $$ I think I'm gonna try one of those calibration DVDs for now... probably the Disney WOW Bluray. It seems to have the best reviews on A*zon compared to the others. Heck, compared to my old 32" CRT this thing looks GREAT out-of-the box!

I'm still very happy with this TV except for inability to find the TV's MAC address for the network adapter.

Thanks again for the info!
post #323 of 1122 Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM

I returned the 60"PZ750 today (within 30 days) for the 60"PZ950 to make Greatness even Greater. So lovin this set! I don't know all the technical jargon that goes on sometimes in this forum but what I do know is that this TV Rocks!
Colors and Pics so clean and real with no over saturation or craziness. It's hard to concentrate on dialogue and plots on shows/movies cause I get so overwhelmed with how awesome the pics look at times...lol!

Easy Calibration...Check
Great 3D...Check
Great Value...Check
Wife Jealous...Check.

...BTW...I got a great deal to upgrade with 2 glasses included along with a Blu-Ray 3D DVD Player that I thought was worth the extra $$. I was happy with the pz750 but even happier now. Watched "Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D" via Comcast OnDemand-Free Movies and was blown away with PQ. Avatar 2D on Cinemax and looks fantastic. Someone posted how they liked Transformers on this set with colors being so accurate and he was spot on!
I think Plasmas will always blow away any LED/LCD. I had another set that was LED 3D (won't bash) and caused some eye fatigue and my 13 yr old complained of a headache. at which time I thought I'd try the pz750 and the rest is history.
I like the Vudu app and has cool 3D Content as well. (Too bad Netflix streaming doesn't offer 1080P or 3D YET).
Glasses do time out too quickly...that is my only complaint but can live with.
post #324 of 1122 Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM

I've encountered another "weird" issue that I haven't found a solution for yet & thought I'd throw it out there.

We have a small LED Vizio TV in another room, and the Vizio remote seems to be controlling the LG PZ950! When the power button on the Vizio remote is pressed, the PZ950 will turn off/on!! Weird!

So far I haven't found any way to change the frequency of the remote for either set.

Surely I'm not the only person who's encountered such an issue.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the frequencies of either of these remotes? ...or is this just something I'll have to live with?

I'll keep looking, and if I find a solution I'll post it here.
post #325 of 1122 Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've encountered another "weird" issue that I haven't found a solution for yet & thought I'd throw it out there.

We have a small LED Vizio TV in another room, and the Vizio remote seems to be controlling the LG PZ950! When the power button on the Vizio remote is pressed, the PZ950 will turn off/on!! Weird!

So far I haven't found any way to change the frequency of the remote for either set.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the frequencies of either of these remotes? ...or is this just something I'll have to live with?

I'll keep looking, and if I find a solution I'll post it here.

It's just the your 950's way of telling you, "me can turn on to, watch me, me plasma, no look at led, watch me"

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #326 of 1122 Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

It's just the your 950's way of telling you, "me can turn on to, watch me, me plasma, no look at led, watch me"

Ha! Yep! I gotta say I like the 950 MUCH better than the little 26" Vizio!

Unfortunately most of the time the little Vizio turns OFF the 950 while I'm watching!

...and then when I turn it back on... the volume icon on the 950 pops up & starts adjusting itself (wife adjusting volume on the Vizio).

It's crazy! ...especially since they're different brands!

I'm still looking to see if I can find any info, but nothing yet. (haven't had a lot of time to really look since my last post)

...may have to contact LG or Vizio.
post #327 of 1122 Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Have you checked your house for Gremlins?

Seriously, are the two sets in such an arrangement that it is line-of-sight from where you use the remote to both TVs? I believe that LG supplies panels to Vizio but they might also supply other components that would create the situation. I would be surprised if the Vizio remote, which is most likely IR, would shoot through a wall like an RF remote would to control the LG in another room so it may be reflecting somehow to get signal to the other tv. I'd say check your angle of reflection from where you use the Vizio remote, even considering windows, to see if you can determine a path.
post #328 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 AM

That is quite a conundrum you have in your hands, literally.

I am not by no means a tekkie so please forgive my silly question but do you use a cable box or dish receiver? If so, sometimes there are different codes that will work most or all features that you are looking for on the set without interfering on then other one. If using only tv tuners, you may need to get a separate universal remote with a separate code that again may or may not conflict.

Anywayz, good luck with that and let us know how you made out.

Peace
post #329 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha! Yep! I gotta say I like the 950 MUCH better than the little 26" Vizio!

Unfortunately most of the time the little Vizio turns OFF the 950 while I'm watching!

...and then when I turn it back on... the volume icon on the 950 pops up & starts adjusting itself (wife adjusting volume on the Vizio).

It's crazy! ...especially since they're different brands!

I'm still looking to see if I can find any info, but nothing yet. (haven't had a lot of time to really look since my last post)

...may have to contact LG or Vizio.

Definitely gremlins, I've got the 950 (PX) and the LG PG25 in adjacent rooms, remotes are interchangeable, but no problems.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #330 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@1coolDad, rob80

Do I need to adjust Va and Vy too, or is that too dangerous? About to attempt this now.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page