Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This is what the Y-SUS board looks like on the back of the 60PZ950. Looks a bit different than the 50" that the manual shows. You can see where Set-Up and Set-Dn are in the pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

New software update for US tvs today. Ver.04.00.18. Downloading now.

The firmware is on the US website too if your tv download is taking too long.
post #333 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 PM

Liked: 10
any changelog for this fw version ?
post #334 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfab29 View Post

any changelog for this fw version ?

LG never releases a changelog. I'm guessing they fixed the 24p stuttering issue, and made some changes to Smarttv, like Hulu Plus.
post #335 of 1122 Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

So I played with the set_up set_dn potis inside the tv, and I must say its a major pain in the ass to tweak, but it did make my black levels a little bit lower and darker. Needed another person to shout when the picture started getting worse instead of better.

I don't recommend doing it unless you cannot stand the default black levels. I'm going to try to make it better tomorrow.
post #336 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robskimeister View Post

Ha! Yep! I gotta say I like the 950 MUCH better than the little 26" Vizio!

Unfortunately most of the time the little Vizio turns OFF the 950 while I'm watching!

...and then when I turn it back on... the volume icon on the 950 pops up & starts adjusting itself (wife adjusting volume on the Vizio).

It's crazy! ...especially since they're different brands!

I'm still looking to see if I can find any info, but nothing yet. (haven't had a lot of time to really look since my last post)

...may have to contact LG or Vizio.

Think, maybe LG has a hand in VIZIO HDTV manufacturering?
post #337 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

So I played with the set_up set_dn potis inside the tv, and I must say its a major pain in the ass to tweak, but it did make my black levels a little bit lower and darker. Needed another person to shout when the picture started getting worse instead of better.

I don't recommend doing it unless you cannot stand the default black levels. I'm going to try to make it better tomorrow.

Hi Bhazard

Tweaking can be fun, but as you say a pain in the derriere.
How is the shadow detail after lowering the blacks.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

post #338 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolDad View Post

Have you checked your house for Gremlins?

Seriously, are the two sets in such an arrangement that it is line-of-sight from where you use the remote to both TVs? I believe that LG supplies panels to Vizio but they might also supply other components that would create the situation. I would be surprised if the Vizio remote, which is most likely IR, would shoot through a wall like an RF remote would to control the LG in another room so it may be reflecting somehow to get signal to the other tv. I'd say check your angle of reflection from where you use the Vizio remote, even considering windows, to see if you can determine a path.

Sometimes I think I DO have Gremlins! It seems like I encounter the weirdest problems!

Actually the Vizio TV is in our upstairs bedroom & the LG is in our downstairs den... but we use a remote extender thingy in the bedroom so my wife can control our Tivo box, which is located downstairs in the TV stand below the LG.

It's surprising to me that the signal from the extender is strong enough to bounce off the wall, and back to the LG.

I've already got the remote extender's IR emitter mounted so it "points" to the Tivo IR receiver, and it's mounted on the back side of a homemade metal bracket that's about 2" wide. I would think the bracket would stop some of the signal reflection, but obviously it's not enough.

I might try to rig up something wider to block the IR emitter signal reflection, but I don't want to block the Tivo IR receiver since I need to be able to control it from the den also.

I need to figure out what to use to "absorb" the signal. Electrical tape maybe? I'm wondering if the metal bracket is possibly causing it to reflect?

I'll tinker with it & see what happens!

Thanks!!
post #339 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi Bhazard

Tweaking can be fun, but as you say a pain in the derriere.
How is the shadow detail after lowering the blacks.

Shadow detail is the same, and the black level difference is definitely noticeable... however without the proper equipment, I wont be able to just put it back to "normal", as the slightest turn can change the picture. I marked the original spots but it doesn't seem to matter.

I introduced green noise into the picture on the left side so I had to retweak. When you hit the "perfect" spot it looks wonderful, but requires way too much effort.
post #340 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

That is quite a conundrum you have in your hands, literally.

I am not by no means a tekkie so please forgive my silly question but do you use a cable box or dish receiver? If so, sometimes there are different codes that will work most or all features that you are looking for on the set without interfering on then other one. If using only tv tuners, you may need to get a separate universal remote with a separate code that again may or may not conflict.

Anywayz, good luck with that and let us know how you made out.

Peace

I'm using a Dish Network receiver (VIP222k). The dish receivers have a feature where you can change the remote/receiver frequencies if you have conflicts with other Dish receivers.

That's what I need to do for at least one of the TVs that are conflicting with each other, but I don't think there's a way... at least not one that I've found.

I'll keep playing around with the setup to see if I can find a workaround at least!
post #341 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Here are some tips for you.

To do that work you should use a big mirror. Put the display in front of the mirror, work on the back of the TV and check the results by looking at the mirror. That's a safety way, used by the TV repair centers from the CRT era.

About the proper equipment, a digital multimeter (average quality) is enough. For safety reasons, use only full-plastic screwdrivers when you are working on the pots (the same are used for tube amps tuning). Cheap stuff and easy to find.

The complete updated instructions about the complete tuning of all the LG HDTVs, are on this document: http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...t_Handbook.pdf (last update is 07/21/2011). Read it very carefully from the first page (of your TV model) before start to do something. Some reference data is on the label of the panel of your TV, as explained on that doc.

ps. I guess I was the first guy who posted in this forum the link to that LG Tech website, a couple of months ago, but it was on other threads, 'sorry for that (here is one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20483346 )

Good work
post #342 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman777go View Post

Think, maybe LG has a hand in VIZIO HDTV manufacturering?

LG was a plasma panels supplier of Vizio for many years, until Vizio stopped the plasma HDTV production. I don't know about the LCD panels and other stuff.
post #343 of 1122 Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
Here are some tips for you.

To do that work you should use a big mirror. Put the display in front of the mirror, work on the back of the TV and check the results by looking at the mirror. That's a safety way, used by the TV repair centers from the CRT era.

About the proper equipment, a digital multimeter (average quality) is enough. For safety reasons, use only full-plastic screwdrivers when you are working on the pots (the same are used for tube amps tuning). Cheap stuff and easy to find.

The complete updated instructions about the complete tuning of all the LG HDTVs, are on this document: http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...t_Handbook.pdf (last update is 07/21/2011). Read it very carefully from the first page (of your TV model) before start to do something. Some reference data is on the label of the panel of your TV, as explained on that doc.

ps. I guess I was the first guy who posted in this forum the link to that LG Tech website, a couple of months ago, but it was on other threads, 'sorry for that (here is one: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20483346 )

Good work
Thanks! I didn't have a mirror big enough to use, so I just relied on another person. Just tweaking set_up and set_dn did make the picture a little darker, but it didn't allow the set to get inky black like I thought it could. I guess that would require voltage tweaking, and I don't really want to mess with that unless there was an easy way to manipulate it without screwing up the tv.

I was hoping the tweak could help the LG get to VT30 levels, but there is more involved than what I did.
post #344 of 1122 Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The only downside to better blacks is, that the pwm noise near black becomes more appearent.

I retuned my PK350 the last weekend and while I was doing that, I started with the worse MLL I had over a year ago.

Now I know, why some people here in this thread said, that they couldn't see the noise near black as a problem, cause with the original MLL the contrast between pwm-noise and the black of the panel itself is so small, that the noise diminishes.

So I would say, that the shadow detail is in fact more visible as a sideeffect of a way better MLL, but it has it downsides. also.
post #345 of 1122 Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do I need to adjust Va and Vy too, or is that too dangerous? About to attempt this now.

You can start to get more headroom (you pisted, that you encountered noise while trying to get MLL deeper) by turning Vy counterclockwise.

It helps a little for tuning Set_Dn but it gives you even more headroom at the Set_Up-pot.

Good luck!
post #346 of 1122 Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...BTW...I got a great deal to upgrade with 2 glasses included along with a Blu-Ray 3D DVD Player that I thought was worth the extra $$. I was happy with the pz750 but even happier now. Watched "Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D" via Comcast OnDemand-Free Movies and was blown away with PQ. Avatar 2D on Cinemax and looks fantastic. Someone posted how they liked Transformers on this set with colors being so accurate and he was spot on!

Would you count the PQ of the PZ950 better than the PQ you took from the PZ750?
post #347 of 1122 Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 PM

My PZ950 was delivered about two weeks ago. From the outset I noticed a problem with the picture. In medium and dark scenes there was a lot of blotchiness in the background as well as lines that looked like a topography map. It was also very noticeable - especially the lines - when there is a solid background (ie the white behind the Toshiba logo in a HD ad). The only time the picture was good was on bright outdoor scenes (Nat Geo channel, Happy Gilmore golf scenes). I determined it was not the cable box since when I hooked up my Sony 46HX701 and played the same content I saw no problems. If I was smart I would have packed it up and had Amazon come and get it. But I really liked the looks of the set and when the picture was good it looked terrific. So I called LG tech support..

The first agent insisted the TV was set for 3D viewing (it was not). The second agent said I had to turn off TruMotion but even with his help I could not find it in the menu. I called the next day from work and was told by a third guy that yes indeed I had to turn TruMotion off. He made an appt to call me at home later in the day but never did. According to the LG website this TV does not even have TruMotion. Finally I scheduled a service call.

The guys who came out from a local repair shop that LG contracts with were nice. They noticed the problem right away and said it was solarization. They took the TV back to their shop last week.

I found out today that they ordered a new control board though there is some doubt as to when it will come in. I do not want to run up against my 30 day return at Amazon. And I am wondering if I even want a TV that already needs a new control board (not even sure what it is). Is it fair to say that once these things are worked on they are never the same again?

I understand that things like this happen. But I a bummed out at LGs response. They don't seem to care how long it takes to fix, they said that I have to talk to the service center from now on (LG is not taking ownership of the issue), and they don't seem to care that their top of the line product is not working properly.

I look at it that they have my money and all I have is a TV that is on a bench in a workshop somewhere. They have a chance to win me as a customer for life or to make it so I and no one in my family ever buys an LG product. Looks like they are leaning toward the latter of the two.

Anyone have any thoughts. Can anyone explain what a control board is and if they think it will fix the problem.
post #348 of 1122 Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

You can start to get more headroom (you pisted, that you encountered noise while trying to get MLL deeper) by turning Vy counterclockwise.

It helps a little for tuning Set_Dn but it gives you even more headroom at the Set_Up-pot.

Good luck!

Should I turn Vy counterclockwise all the way, or just a little? I want to be 100% sure before I open the tv again.

My MLL is definitely darker now than before I tuned the tv. It is almost where I want it, but not quite, and hopefully tuning Vy will get it lower. I would guess I am at about 0.05- 0.06 right now, compared to the 0.09 or so the tv starts at.

If I can get this black level even lower, this tv would easily beat the new Samsungs and maybe even the VT30.

Thanks again! Very useful info and my tv isn't grey anymore.
post #349 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 AM

bhazard, that's not the right way to do such kind of work. I suggest you to read again my previos post, and think a bit more about what I told you
post #350 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:

Would you count the PQ of the PZ950 better than the PQ you took from the PZ750?

Yes indeed. The contrast ratio on the the newer one (5000000:1) is definitely more evident than the pz750 (3000000:1) as far brightness and picture popped more. I thought the TruBlack filter would do more as far as background glare, but didn't notice too much of a difference if light from dining room was on. Not big deal cuz we like to watch most flix in dark room. Overall, I was very impressed and happy with decision to upgrade. I am especially pleased with the difference of the pz950 when it comes to 3D. Brighter. The 750 still owns.

1cooldad kinda convinced me seeing how happy he was with his.

Does any other TV really have the color accuracy and life-like pics as good as the PK, PZ series?? I don't know man. I will take that over any other tv's "superior blacks" any day. Also, after their last few updates, 3D has gotten a whole lot better and would dare put up against others as well.

Here is a question I have...how come there aren't any calibration settings posted on this forum? I wonder if most folks don't feel a need to share due to how this set allows for intuitive settings and most folks are happy with their end result.

I know I sound like I am "LG-WHIPPED" ok.. Maybe I am just a little

Peace
post #351 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uch1986 View Post

My PZ950 was delivered about two weeks ago. From the outset I noticed a problem with the picture. In medium and dark scenes there was a lot of blotchiness in the background as well as lines that looked like a topography map. It was also very noticeable - especially the lines - when there is a solid background (ie the white behind the Toshiba logo in a HD ad). The only time the picture was good was on bright outdoor scenes (Nat Geo channel, Happy Gilmore golf scenes). I determined it was not the cable box since when I hooked up my Sony 46HX701 and played the same content I saw no problems. If I was smart I would have packed it up and had Amazon come and get it. But I really liked the looks of the set and when the picture was good it looked terrific. So I called LG tech support..

The first agent insisted the TV was set for 3D viewing (it was not). The second agent said I had to turn off TruMotion but even with his help I could not find it in the menu. I called the next day from work and was told by a third guy that yes indeed I had to turn TruMotion off. He made an appt to call me at home later in the day but never did. According to the LG website this TV does not even have TruMotion. Finally I scheduled a service call.

The guys who came out from a local repair shop that LG contracts with were nice. They noticed the problem right away and said it was solarization. They took the TV back to their shop last week.

I found out today that they ordered a new control board though there is some doubt as to when it will come in. I do not want to run up against my 30 day return at Amazon. And I am wondering if I even want a TV that already needs a new control board (not even sure what it is). Is it fair to say that once these things are worked on they are never the same again?

I understand that things like this happen. But I a bummed out at LGs response. They don't seem to care how long it takes to fix, they said that I have to talk to the service center from now on (LG is not taking ownership of the issue), and they don't seem to care that their top of the line product is not working properly.

I look at it that they have my money and all I have is a TV that is on a bench in a workshop somewhere. They have a chance to win me as a customer for life or to make it so I and no one in my family ever buys an LG product. Looks like they are leaning toward the latter of the two.

Anyone have any thoughts. Can anyone explain what a control board is and if they think it will fix the problem.

On the back (inside) of the TV (all) there are some boards; the control board is just one of them.

The LG Service centers have some docs where it is explained the major issues of the TVs, and what could be the problem. Sometimes it is just because of a connector, other times it is because of one board. I have one of that books, found on internet 1 year ago, and I remember it was also mentioned a "solarization" problem, with some pics about it.

BTW, here you will find all about the 50-60PZ950: http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...50/50PZ950.htm

If that tech guy is expert about the LG plasma displays (it looks so, from the answer you got from him), there will be no problems, and it is even possible that your PZ950 will be back to you even better than those new you buy from the shops. When it is required to change some boards, sometimes they must do the tuning work (poto-tuning) as described on the tech docs, and be sure they have the proper equipment to do it in the right way . It is nothing special.
post #352 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:

On the back (inside) of the TV (all) there are some boards; the control board is just one of them.

The LG Service centers have some docs where it is explained the major issues of the TVs, and what could be the problem. Sometimes it is just because of a connector, other times it is because of one board. I have one of that books, found on internet 1 year ago, and I remember it was also mentioned a "solarization" problem, with some pics about it.

BTW, here you will find all about the 50-60PZ950: http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...50/50PZ950.htm

If that tech guy is expert about the LG plasma displays (it looks so, from the answer you got from him), there will be no problems, and it is even possible that your PZ950 will be back to you even better than those new you buy from the shops. When it is required to change some boards, sometimes they must do the tuning work (poto-tuning) as described on the tech docs, and be sure they have the proper equipment to do it in the right way . It is nothing special.

Is the contrast ratio 10000000:1 in the UK? It's half that in the states. Seems like a large disparity.
post #353 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:

Is the contrast ratio 10000000:1 in the UK? It's half that in the states. Seems like a large disparity.

The dynamic contrast is always BS. Don't take care about it, and about what is written on the web sites around the world of all brands

Instead, have a look at the tech docs you can download from that LG web site, if you want really "go inside" your PZ950.
post #354 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The dynamic contrast is always BS. Don't take care about it, and about what is written on the web sites around the world of all brands

Instead, have a look at the tech docs you can download from that LG web site, if you want really "go inside" your PZ950.

The docs only cover the 50". The 60" has completely different internals. They don't match up.
post #355 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Hi everyone.
I bought the 50PZ950 4 days ago and today I watch a green pixel on the middle of the screen apearing and disapearing lasting 5 or 20 secs. It shows more on brighter settings or when its processing peoples faces.It apears on the first minutes I start the television or after 1 hour it does not matter. So I dont think it´s a heating issue.
After viewing some LG pz950 threads it seems that this crap only happend to me.
The guy from the store told me to wait a couple weeks until that green pixel stays on always because if LG tech guy comes to see the Tv and the pixel is not there they won´t do nothing.
Any sugestions to what the cause of this ?
The pixel processes the rest of the colors but one colour is not processing so it flashes green. dont know wich one is it.
I need some help.
post #356 of 1122 Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Should I turn Vy counterclockwise all the way, or just a little? I want to be 100% sure before I open the tv again.

My MLL is definitely darker now than before I tuned the tv. It is almost where I want it, but not quite, and hopefully tuning Vy will get it lower. I would guess I am at about 0.05- 0.06 right now, compared to the 0.09 or so the tv starts at.

If I can get this black level even lower, this tv would easily beat the new Samsungs and maybe even the VT30.

Thanks again! Very useful info and my tv isn't grey anymore.

I know, what Mauri means, but as I can say from my TV, the voltages noted at the stucker inside the TV didn't do it (MLL wise).

Especially the Vs with 203V was so high, that I lost even the slightest headroom in the Set_Up and Set_Dn department - out of the box my Vs was only set to 198V though.

For the Vy-thing: If you turn it counterclockwise, you get more headroom noisewise, so you can go deeper with Set_Dn BUT at the same time, you lose some pixelmissfireprotection, so that you might lose headroom for Set_UP.

On the same time, depending on the amount of Vs, you could run into noise with Set_UP way before you get pixelmissfires. It depends.

But if you are satisfied right now with 0.05 cd/m2, I don't know, if the additional work is worth it.

Do you have pixelmissfires for the first or so minutes, after you turn your PZ950 on?
post #357 of 1122 Old 08-05-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

I know, what Mauri means, but as I can say from my TV, the voltages noted at the stucker inside the TV didn't do it (MLL wise).

Especially the Vs with 203V was so high, that I lost even the slightest headroom in the Set_Up and Set_Dn department - out of the box my Vs was only set to 198V though.

For the Vy-thing: If you turn it counterclockwise, you get more headroom noisewise, so you can go deeper with Set_Dn BUT at the same time, you lose some pixelmissfireprotection, so that you might lose headroom for Set_UP.

On the same time, depending on the amount of Vs, you could run into noise with Set_UP way before you get pixelmissfires. It depends.

But if you are satisfied right now with 0.05 cd/m2, I don't know, if the additional work is worth it.

Do you have pixelmissfires for the first or so minutes, after you turn your PZ950 on?

man this really works i just did this working just with the set_dn and set_up i couldn't believe how deep the black level went, the only problem is that i set up everything in 24p mode and if i go back to 60hz i see missfiring pixels that means that i have to set up in normal 60hz mode but then the 24p mode wont look that deep.is very tricky...

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #358 of 1122 Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

That's true and you may see pixelmissfires in the warmupphase, after you turn the TV on whent you get home - depends on room temperature.

Since I'm sitting in Germany, I put all my coins on 24p. My 360 puts out 60hz of course, but I can live with the pixelmissfires there.
post #359 of 1122 Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

That's true and you may see pixelmissfires in the warmupphase, after you turn the TV on whent you get home - depends on room temperature.

Since I'm sitting in Germany, I put all my coins on 24p. My 360 puts out 60hz of course, but I can live with the pixelmissfires there.

I change my mind to set up set_dn and set_up levels in 60hz mode setting this way I dont get pixelmissfire at all plus the blacks levels in 24p still comfortable and in 60hz mode looks way better than when it was brand new by the way is a 1 year 1/2 60" pk550 plasma and the black did rise after some time not sure when but it did rise.I know I can get deeper blacks in 24hz just by tweeking set_dn and set_up poti tunners but I use the 60hz too and dont want to see missfiring pixels.now in 60hz the black bars looks very deep love it and in 24p looks dark too but not like in 60hz.thanks for all your info.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
post #360 of 1122 Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Liked: 11
Folks, forgive my silly noob question, but can I watch the letterbox programs (or programs with sidebars) without zooming them? This is my first HDTV, and I really don't want to damage it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page