Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 1123 Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes
Mauri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 1123 Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

The docs only cover the 50". The 60" has completely different internals. They don't match up.

How can you say that? Do you have pics showing the complete internals of both models?
Mauri is offline  
post #363 of 1123 Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer
Folks, forgive my silly noob question, but can I watch the letterbox programs (or programs with sidebars) without zooming them? This is my first HDTV, and I really don't want to damage it.
Hey Jazzer, I am a noob myself and quite surprised that no one on this thread has replied to your question as of yet. I am interested in knowing what the answer is too.

...guess they are all too busy increasing there black levels and don't have time for silly noob questions.

Can black bars really damage set if left on too long? Hmmmm.

My 60pz950 is in storage (with all other furniture) until I find a new place. Glad I chose a/c inside instead of outside-drive-up storage, otherwise I would have been worried, especially this hot summer in Florida. Can't wait to set it up again since only got to play with it a couple of days!

Curious to play Black Ops on it to see if better than the pz750 that had some slight input lag on it.

Peace.
derod68 is offline  
post #364 of 1123 Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

Folks, forgive my silly noob question, but can I watch the letterbox programs (or programs with sidebars) without zooming them? This is my first HDTV, and I really don't want to damage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Hey Jazzer, I am a noob myself and quite surprised that no one on this thread has replied to your question as of yet. I am interested in knowing what the answer is too.

...guess they are all too busy increasing there black levels and don't have time for silly noob questions.

Can black bars really damage set if left on too long? Hmmmm.

Probably no replies as it is a general question that applies to all plasmas and not just LG, but common consensus is that the whole panel should be given equal coverage during the initial 200 hrs or so with reduced contrast and brightness.
I have the PX950 and not the PZ and initially found there was no IR on the set for the first day or so and then IR then increased as the set bedded in, but after 300 hrs or more IR has basically become a non issue and what does appear dissipates very quickly.
To answer the question "but can I watch the letterbox programs (or programs with sidebars)" , yes but if you do all the time I would think eventually you'd get burn in even with the orbiter turned on.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #365 of 1123 Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post


Probably no replies as it is a general question that applies to all plasmas and not just LG, but common consensus is that the whole panel should be given equal coverage during the initial 200 hrs or so with reduced contrast and brightness.
I have the PX950 and not the PZ and initially found there was no IR on the set for the first day or so and then IR then increased as the set bedded in, but after 300 hrs or more IR has basically become a non issue and what does appear dissipates very quickly.
To answer the question "but can I watch the letterbox programs (or programs with sidebars)" , yes but if you do all the time I would think eventually you'd get burn in even with the orbiter turned on.

Cool. Thanks for your thorough response.
derod68 is offline  
post #366 of 1123 Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Looks like the British site Avforums may finally get a review up on the PZ950 http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...thread-18.html , well better late than never.
Not too sure why LG has low distribution on this set, I waited forever and eventually grabbed a PX950 when it was noted that blacks on the PZ may be higher, here in Canada they're still few and far between, also I saw that the 50PZ950 can be had for a lower price than the sale price on the 50PZ750 which in theory should make it an exceptional buy, price to feature wise with the competition.
Except for a few who had either technical problems or higher expectations, the majority seem quite happy with their PX/PZ950s and was the preferred choice over the Panasonics and Samsungs regardless of price.
Still it will be interesting to see another professional review to compare to user and the Flatpanelshd.com review http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1305795700 ; which unfortunately probably influenced many to stay away because of the reportedly higher black levels, even though the LGs overall offer an excellent and satisfying picture quality comparable to the competing flagship models.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #367 of 1123 Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Hey Jazzer, I am a noob myself and quite surprised that no one on this thread has replied to your question as of yet. I am interested in knowing what the answer is too.

...guess they are all too busy increasing there black levels and don't have time for silly noob questions.

derod68, I answered to jazzer on post #361. I admit my answer was really short

It is not possible to get a burn-in with the bars (vertical grey bars on the LGs, in that case, and there is a reason for that thing). Burn-in means a permanent image retention of something on the panel (for example a channel logo). Search for "plasma burn-in" with google, and you will find also some image samples.
Mauri is offline  
post #368 of 1123 Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

How can you say that? Do you have pics showing the complete internals of both models?

I opened it up myself and posted a pic of the Y-SUS board of the 60PZ950 on post #331. It is completely different than the Y-SUS board of the 50PZ950, and I'm guessing the other boards have a different layout as well. That manual does not have a listing for the 60" panel yet.
bhazard is offline  
post #369 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Looks like the British site Avforums may finally get a review up on the PZ950 http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...thread-18.html , well better late than never.
Not too sure why LG has low distribution on this set, I waited forever and eventually grabbed a PX950 when it was noted that blacks on the PZ may be higher, here in Canada they're still few and far between, also I saw that the 50PZ950 can be had for a lower price than the sale price on the 50PZ750 which in theory should make it an exceptional buy, price to feature wise with the competition.
Except for a few who had either technical problems or higher expectations, the majority seem quite happy with their PX/PZ950s and was the preferred choice over the Panasonics and Samsungs regardless of price.
Still it will be interesting to see another professional review to compare to user and the Flatpanelshd.com review http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1305795700 ; which unfortunately probably influenced many to stay away because of the reportedly higher black levels, even though the LGs overall offer an excellent and satisfying picture quality comparable to the competing flagship models.

Rob80b...I echo your sentiments 1,000 percent. I however, I think Flatpanels review of the PZ 950 is way off. They recommended the sharp Quattron 835 http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1308733719, and not this one (pz950/750) which is BS. That set had horrible 3D and required a PHD to make settings even somewhat watchable. I returned for this set and it rocks in every way except for blacks which is still very satisfactory IMO. Cnet had kick-ass review of the PK version as well. Consumer Reports also had the pz550 2nd only after the high end panasonic which only ceded due to higher energy efficiency on the panny.

Select Model Overall Score

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT30 82
LG 50PZ550 82
Panasonic Viera TC-P50ST30 81
Samsung PN59D8000 75
Panasonic Viera TC-P55GT30 75
Samsung PN50C8000 74
Samsung PN51D550 70
Samsung PN50C680 70
Samsung PN50C490 70
Panasonic Viera TC-P42ST30 70
Panasonic Viera TC-P42GT25 69
LG 42PW350 69
Samsung PN51D490 N/A
Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30 N/A
Samsung PN64D8000 N/A

Lest not forget the much better value as as well!!!

Am I ok by saying that the PZ550 is a close enough cousin to the pz950 to compare? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

HD Nation also recently had the pz550(I believe was the set) as a great tv at a great value as well and these guys know their stuff!!
Link...
http://revision3.com/hdnation/budget3dplasma#rev3Player

I saw that uk post on av forum as well and anxious see what those blokes think.

Peace
derod68 is offline  
post #370 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

derod68, I answered to jazzer on post #361. I admit my answer was really short

It is not possible to get a burn-in with the bars (vertical grey bars on the LGs, in that case, and there is a reason for that thing). Burn-in means a permanent image retention of something on the panel (for example a channel logo). Search for "plasma burn-in" with google, and you will find also some image samples.

Thanks. Helpful stuff.
derod68 is offline  
post #371 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Jazzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to reply. So, one answer is "no" and the other is "yes". I don't know what broadcast percentage has grey bars (I suspect less than 3%), but surely next time I'll do a google search, as has been suggested, before posting here.

Had I known of the plasma "burn-in" issue before, I would've bought a LCD, no doubt about it, even though it's PQ is not as good. I'm so tired of taking care of my TV instead of enjoying it.
Jazzer is offline  
post #372 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I opened it up myself and posted a pic of the Y-SUS board of the 60PZ950 on post #331. It is completely different than the Y-SUS board of the 50PZ950, and I'm guessing the other boards have a different layout as well. That manual does not have a listing for the 60" panel yet.

I put my 2 cents that 50" and 60" are the same
Mauri is offline  
post #373 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Am I ok by saying that the PZ550 is a close enough cousin to the pz950 to compare? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

HD Nation also recently had the pz550(I believe was the set) as a great tv at a great value as well and these guys know their stuff!!
Link...
http://revision3.com/hdnation/budget3dplasma#rev3Player

I saw that uk post on av forum as well and anxious see what those blokes think.

Peace

Hi derod68

I've yet to see the PZ950 as no one has yet to carry it in Toronto although the 750 is finally making an appearance but I have seen the 60PZ550 a few times and thought the picture is quite admirable, aside from the one sheet of glass and the reportable higher contrast levels I would think they share similar traits to the 950s.
Comparing the PZ550 to the Panasonic GT30, which does have better blacks in dark scenes, the overall picture is comparable but at a price, still, overall IMO the LG has a more pleasing (better) picture and natural colour but that's coming from someone (me) who's back-round was in fine arts and professional photography.
Keep in mind I have no interest in gaming and 3D is still a novelty so my reference is for 2D movie viewing only.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #374 of 1123 Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

Thanks, guys, for taking the time to reply. So, one answer is "no" and the other is "yes". I don't know what broadcast percentage has grey bars (I suspect less than 3%), but surely next time I'll do a google search, as has been suggested, before posting here.

Had I known of the plasma "burn-in" issue before, I would've bought a LCD, no doubt about it, even though it's PQ is not as good. I'm so tired of taking care of my TV instead of enjoying it.

Hi Jazzer

When I said "yes" to burn-in, I meant the use of viewing with the same bars, therefore constant, "all the time", no use of full screen after months of use, but if it's for a few hours each day with a bit of full screen thrown in, it should never be a problem.
Unless you're doing gaming day in and day out there should be no reason to baby the current offerings of plasmas, rest easy, enjoy.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #375 of 1123 Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
whtrydr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also posted this in the XXLV550 thread and I wanted to see the resonses here too. Figured I would get both opions. Thanks in advance!

I am thinking of purchasing the 55lv5500 but now I am looking at the LG-60PZ750. I know this could start a war because I am trying to compare LCD vs. Plasma. But the prices are not to far off with the plasma being $287 more and its obviously bigger. What would you all recomned. I currently have a 32 sony trinitron so this will be a big jump. I watch movies and sports mostly. The movies I watch most are either action or sci-fi. I love Star Wars. Please help with this dilema.
whtrydr is offline  
post #376 of 1123 Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Looks like the British site Avforums may finally get a review up on the PZ950 http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-fo...thread-18.html , well better late than never.
Not too sure why LG has low distribution on this set, I waited forever and eventually grabbed a PX950 when it was noted that blacks on the PZ may be higher, here in Canada they're still few and far between, also I saw that the 50PZ950 can be had for a lower price than the sale price on the 50PZ750 which in theory should make it an exceptional buy, price to feature wise with the competition.
Except for a few who had either technical problems or higher expectations, the majority seem quite happy with their PX/PZ950s and was the preferred choice over the Panasonics and Samsungs regardless of price.
Still it will be interesting to see another professional review to compare to user and the Flatpanelshd.com review http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1305795700 ; which unfortunately probably influenced many to stay away because of the reportedly higher black levels, even though the LGs overall offer an excellent and satisfying picture quality comparable to the competing flagship models.


Hi Rob,

I think that review was a post/report from a user - I believe the PZ950 will be out by Monday so it will hopefully it will be online tomorrow!

Bazzy!
Bazzy is offline  
post #377 of 1123 Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi Rob,

I think that review was a post/report from a user - I believe the PZ950 will be out by Monday so it will hopefully it will be online tomorrow!

Bazzy!

Hi Bazzy

Saw that, the review from MrSirius was coincidentally posted just after my original post about a review forthcoming from Mark Hodgkinson.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #378 of 1123 Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It's now posted
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=207

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #379 of 1123 Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

It's now posted
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=207

Well looks like the review didn't enlighten us to any more information which has not already been discussed.

Excellent color and gamma as always,
Viewed from what we'd consider anything like an average viewing distance, i.e. over 8 feet, the PZ950 is capable of providing some very striking pictures. The neutrality of the greyscale and all-but reference colour reproduction gives images the air of naturality and believability with the flat gamma response increasing depth of field perception.

same or better black level than the PX950 but not up to the competition (but IMO and other users still acceptable),
the PZ950 continues LG's tradition of being fairly mediocre in achieving a deep shade of the backbone to great contrast performance. From memory, we'd say it does slightly better than the PX990

so so 3D
The over all 3D performance is certainly not up to the standards set by other plasmas nor their own Cinema 3D LED LCD televisions.

and input lag in gaming.
We were both surprised and disappointed to measure the PZ950's latency in the region of 90-100 milliseconds in Game mode.

Still, overall for the price, I'll take the LG color fidelity on the PX/PZ950s any day over sets which have deeper blacks but numerous other technical issues.
The calibrated greyscale and gamut combined with some excellent video processing gave pictures a really natural look and, in the right conditions, provides an experience that belies the sub £1,000 price tag the PZ950 can be had for.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #380 of 1123 Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b

Well looks like the review didn't enlighten us to any more information which has not already been discussed.

Excellent color and gamma as always,
Viewed from what we'd consider anything like an average viewing distance, i.e. over 8 feet, the PZ950 is capable of providing some very striking pictures. The neutrality of the greyscale and all-but reference colour reproduction gives images the air of naturality and believability with the flat gamma response increasing depth of field perception.

same or better black level than the PX950 but not up to the competition (but IMO and other users still acceptable),
the PZ950 continues LG's tradition of being fairly mediocre in achieving a deep shade of the backbone to great contrast performance. From memory, we'd say it does slightly better than the PX990

so so 3D
The over all 3D performance is certainly not up to the standards set by other plasmas nor their own Cinema 3D LED LCD televisions.

and input lag in gaming.
We were both surprised and disappointed to measure the PZ950's latency in the region of 90-100 milliseconds in Game mode.

Still, overall for the price, I'll take the LG color fidelity on the PX/PZ950s any day over sets which have deeper blacks but numerous other technical issues.
The calibrated greyscale and gamut combined with some excellent video processing gave pictures a really natural look and, in the right conditions, provides an experience that belies the sub £1,000 price tag the PZ950 can be had for.
I would add my two cents from that review, but you hit it all right on the head bro!

Just a half cent...

I have 4 pairs of glasses and not 1 of my 2 boys ages 14 and 12, my wife, nor myself ( in the US) has heard any buzzing or reflections of any sort on them. Comfortable and light for being active glasses, especially for my family.

Haven't tried gaming on it yet (in storage )but I remember xbox360 black ops on the pz750 played nicely on expert 2 mode.

I will take acceptable blacks over Natural-true to life colors, on point grayscale and fluid screen motion (on3D as well) any day.

Sure blacks can WOW anybody but this TV makes up for weak blacks in more ways than 1--IMO

All in all, very appreciative of their in-depth review but I feel is worthy of a badge

Wish they would have summarized all their calibration settings.

Peace
derod68 is offline  
post #381 of 1123 Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Still, overall for the price, I'll take the LG color fidelity on the PX/PZ950s any day over sets which have deeper blacks but numerous other technical issues.
The calibrated greyscale and gamut combined with some excellent video processing gave pictures a really natural look and, in the right conditions, provides an experience that belies the sub £1,000 price tag the PZ950 can be had for.

Just before that, it has been also reported (at least):

"Watching fast moving sports on the PZ950 was as real pleasure with it in another league to the vast majority of LCDs out there; and certainly better than the Panasonic plasma experience, as things stand."

BTW, speaking about the white balance calibration controls, they said the PZ950 has the 20 points (and, of course, the 2 points), while flatpanelshd always mentioned 10 points. I wonder if the flatpanelshd's PZ950 was a pre-series sample, or what else.
Mauri is offline  
post #382 of 1123 Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Turrican4D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

I will take acceptable blacks over Natural-true to life colors, on point grayscale and fluid screen motion (on3D as well) any day.

I say one word-> Noise!

The AVForums-Review is the first one out there, that finally mentioned the damn noise in near black ares of LG plasmas.

Also, they recommended the LG mostly for "normal" viewing distances, cause the ditheringnoise outside of nearblack areas is too obvious for near distance viewing.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
Turrican4D is offline  
post #383 of 1123 Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

I say one word-> Noise!

The AVForums-Review is the first one out there, that finally mentioned the damn noise in near black ares of LG plasmas.

Also, they recommended the LG mostly for "normal" viewing distances, cause the ditheringnoise outside of nearblack areas is too obvious for near distance viewing.

Hi Turrican

All plasmas use red, green and blue pixels to create the colour gamut, so if it's not black the pixels need to be charged to some degree to produce a lighter shade of black and if you are close enough you will see the coloured pixels which technically is not noise.
Digital noise is usually the random placement of dots, speckles, and smudges of random colour and can be seen in all parts of the picture especially solid colours.
Not too sure how one would produce lighter shades of black without out some sort of obvious pixalization near black in plasmas as there are no grey pixels but a combination of red, green and blue, Pioneer and Panasonic have made it less obvious but it is still there.
LG have consistently been praised for their colour so no problems there, but I guess to obtain lower and cleaner blacks comes at a price..$$$ and as I've said before probably not going to happen.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #384 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
drewwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I'm a prospective buyer. I want a 60" plasma, and right now it is between the LG 60PZ950 and a few plasmas from Samsung and Panasonic. I plan to sit about 13' (4M) from the TV in a dim room (no windows other than a screened porch).

I'm sensitive to all kinds of flaws. The reason I'm considering this set is because it seems to have fewer "in your face" problems than its competition, as long as you can live with mediocre blacks. Eg, the lesser of many evils.

I have 4 year old 46" Sony LCD right now that has terrible uniformity, terrible blacks, light leakage, and terrible motion (its a 60Hz LCD). So I want to know what I could be getting into with the LG.

From what I've seen there are 3 main problems:

1) 24p playback is broken.

From what I understand, this has been fixed in Europe. How about in the USA?

2) Poor blacks.

This may not bother me. I don't plan to watch with a light meter, and it has to be better than my old LCD

3) PWM Noise near black

This has the chance to drive me crazy. Does this vary set-by-set? Will I be "safe" if I'm 13' back from a 60" set? Do these mainly affect uncalibrated sets with the brighness / contrast blown out?

Thanks in advance,

Drew
drewwho is offline  
post #385 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

So, I'm a prospective buyer. I want a 60" plasma, and right now it is between the LG 60PZ950 and a few plasmas from Samsung and Panasonic. I plan to sit about 13' (4M) from the TV in a dim room (no windows other than a screened porch).

I'm sensitive to all kinds of flaws. The reason I'm considering this set is because it seems to have fewer "in your face" problems than its competition, as long as you can live with mediocre blacks. Eg, the lesser of many evils.


Thanks in advance,

Drew

Hi Drew

I’ve the previous PX950, the PZ is reported a bit better all round so take my comments from there, about noise see my previous post just above yours, if your 8’ or more away it shouldn’t be an issue, for many it’s not even an issue close up.
The higher blacks is not an unanimous concern, for those that are accustomed to lower blacks it’s a tough decision but most users find the black level very acceptable and I find it only borderline with some “dark scenes” in some films but not all films, other wise the black is presented as black as black.
LGs color gamut is excellent and regarded as reference, 3D and gaming I’ve no interest in so cannot comment but there have been a lot of pros and cons posted here and elsewhere, but the negatives on all forums seem to come from just a few individuals with higher expectations.
I’ve seen the Panasonic GT30, not VT30 and the Samsung 8000 and they are both very good and for the extra $$$$ if your lucky you may be get some FB, peeling screens, green pixilation, motion blur and a few other things thrown in.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
post #386 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

I’ve seen the Panasonic GT30, not VT30 and the Samsung 8000 and they are both very good and for the extra $$$$ if your lucky you may be get some FB, peeling screens, green pixilation, motion blur and a few other things thrown in.

This is one of the latest news (panasonic VT30): http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showp...postcount=1112

The last part of that post (after the pic) is in english. The original is from avforums. The problem (opsss... I mean the "feature") came after 500 hours, and guess why?

That italian thread was opened to talk about another problem, present on most 2011 panasonic plasma. Go back some pages and you will see some pics about it.
Mauri is offline  
post #387 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

Eg, the lesser of many evils.

You got it right

About the PWM Noise near black, it could be different set-by-set. If it is low, it can be fixed just by lowering a bit the brightness. If it is strong, it can be fixed from the LG service: it is regarding the poto-tuning stuff . But it is better to wait the break-in period (150-200 hours) before do something.

Remember to check for it (if you like to do that thing) from the right viewing distance (no less than 8' in case of a 60" display), not too close to the display.
Mauri is offline  
post #388 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
drewwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much for your quick replies. I feel a lot better about ordering this set.

Does anybody know if the 24p issue has been fixed for the USA (and Canada?) firmware? Earlier in the thread, there were some celebrations from Europeans, but I didn't see anything saying that there was a US version of the f/w that fixed 24p.

Drew
drewwho is offline  
post #389 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can't help about that (I'm from Italy), and I never heard about it.

It sounds a bit strange (to me) a 24p problem on one LG plasma, because the past year they were the N. 1 on that thing (very smooth 24p). But, of course, a problem (bug) can always happen. The PZ950 series is using a new video-processor (chip).

I suggest you to ask to Chad B. about that thing; he is an ISF certified calibrator, great experience also on LGs plasma, and a really nice person . Try here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173351 or send him a PM.
Mauri is offline  
post #390 of 1123 Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I feel a lot better about ordering this set.

Does anybody know if the 24p issue has been fixed for the USA (and Canada?) firmware? Earlier in the thread, there were some celebrations from Europeans, but I didn't see anything saying that there was a US version of the f/w that fixed 24p.

Drew

May come down to which player you are using, the PX has no issues.
The biggest problem with my PX, should be the same with the PZ, is that I used to only to only watch one or two movies a week, now it has become a nightly affair.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
rob80b is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off