post #541 of 1122 Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer View Post

It's quiet, because most have realized that this product is a lemon. I tried to live in denial for a while, but now I can't stand this TV anymore, honestly. That grey is killing me. It was my first HDTV, and instead of doing some research I just impulsively bought it. And I'm not talking even about the horrible 3D ghosting, defective 3D glasses.

I'm going to start a little "war" with LG, and will keep everyone posted about the results.

If you get stuck with the tv, try the pots trick that I and a bunch of people in the PV450 thread did. It gets rid of the grey black levels. I too couldn't stand the tv until I did this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1122 Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
War...(good God!)...what is it good for....absolutely nothing.

Haven't checked up here much lately, been too busy enjoying my PZ (1700 hrs so far). Must admit my 12yr old is racking up quit a bit of time on XBL but I can't blame him much cause this set ROCKS gaming!

Don't really buy that lack of complaining is indicative of our acceptance of our "lemons". That would mean all the complaints found on the other manufacturers threads are coming from completely satisfied customers, right? The whole MLL debate started to bore me because nobody ever seems to mention the incredible COLOR aspects of the set. If I were color blind, blacks might be more important to me but I ain't and they're not. I watched a show on the universe (SCIHD) the other night and couldn't help but think that the blacks looked really good but the colors looked AMAZING.

You also need to realize that, in a couple of years, there will be a new, radical breakthrough in display tech with perfect blacks and even better color performance and features that will relegate current "flagship" sets to the guest bedroom and send all of us drooling to the next big thing. Until then, the PZ is a VERY competent set and a great value.

Gotta go, Marcus Fenix needs my help.
post #543 of 1122 Old 10-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolDad View Post

Haven't checked up here much lately, been too busy enjoying my PZ (1700 hrs so far). Must admit my 12yr old is racking up quit a bit of time on XBL but I can't blame him much cause this set ROCKS gaming!

Don't really buy that lack of complaining is indicative of our acceptance of our "lemons". That would mean all the complaints found on the other manufacturers threads are coming from completely satisfied customers, right? The whole MLL debate started to bore me because nobody ever seems to mention the incredible COLOR aspects of the set. If I were color blind, blacks might be more important to me but I ain't and they're not. I watched a show on the universe (SCIHD) the other night and couldn't help but think that the blacks looked really good but the colors looked AMAZING.

You also need to realize that, in a couple of years, there will be a new, radical breakthrough in display tech with perfect blacks and even better color performance and features that will relegate current "flagship" sets to the guest bedroom and send all of us drooling to the next big thing. Until then, the PZ is a VERY competent set and a great value.

Oh boy. look, I'm sincerely glad that it works for you, and the others, but I strongly feel that my particular set, many others in Europe, Russia, and the one in the shootout are lemons. Do I have a right for that opinion? I think I do. When I was able to identify the LG from the first seconds of the shootout footage, I felt really sad. Its pale black looked exactly like on my TV.

Of course, I'm not gonna confront LG about it, it won't do any good, and life is too short, but my next purchase will be wisely chosen.

Sorry for the rant.
post #544 of 1122 Old 10-23-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolDad View Post

The problem is, the color performance isn't as good as the other 2011 plasmas either... and it is now documented as such. The only redeeming quality of this tv over the others was price, but now the Samsung 59D8000 can be had for the same price at Amazon. I cannot recommend this tv anymore because of that. The D8000 is a significantly better tv in all areas compared to the PZ, and if I had to do it over again, I would purchase the D8000 in a heartbeat.

The next big thing will be 4K resolution tvs in the next few years, so that's when I'll make the move to something else.

My PX950 had severe issues and had to be replaced. The PZ still has some major 3D issues in dark scenes, glasses that auto shut off while watching, and poor performance compared to the competition. Unless LG comes out with a knockout product the next time I'm looking for a tv, I wouldn't even consider getting another.
post #545 of 1122 Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

The problem is, the color performance isn't as good as the other 2011 plasmas either... and it is now documented as such. The only redeeming quality of this tv over the others was price, but now the Samsung 59D8000 can be had for the same price at Amazon. I cannot recommend this tv anymore because of that. The D8000 is a significantly better tv in all areas compared to the PZ, and if I had to do it over again, I would purchase the D8000 in a heartbeat.

The next big thing will be 4K resolution tvs in the next few years, so that's when I'll make the move to something else.

My PX950 had severe issues and had to be replaced. The PZ still has some major 3D issues in dark scenes, glasses that auto shut off while watching, and poor performance compared to the competition. Unless LG comes out with a knockout product the next time I'm looking for a tv, I wouldn't even consider getting another.

Well now I'm depressed, bhazard. I had the PX950 before and was quite happy with it except for the DSE (which couldn't be seen 95% of the time). Based on your earlier recommendation that the PZ950 is a much better panel than the PX, I went ahead and got the PZ. And now you say it's a bad TV! I know my switch isn't your responsibility (caveat emptor, etc.), but we lay-people often give weight to the evaluations of calibrators. Sigh.

And all that said, I'm liking the 60PZ950 a lot even without a professional calibration, but now I'm stuck with this nagging feeling that I don't know what I'm missing. I guess ignorance is bliss?
post #546 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Tune and you will be happy.

BTW, pot tuning. Does somebody know, if the Samsung plasmas this year have still their pots?

Might be cool, if it would be possible to tune the MLL od D8000 and D7000 just like we did with the LGs.
post #547 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Tune and you will be happy.

BTW, pot tuning. Does somebody know, if the Samsung plasmas this year have still their pots?

Might be cool, if it would be possible to tune the MLL od D8000 and D7000 just like we did with the LGs.

I have no idea how to do pot tuning. Sounds like something for a professional, and if done wrong could ruin my TV and void the warranty?
post #548 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsoltan54 View Post

Well now I'm depressed, bhazard. I had the PX950 before and was quite happy with it except for the DSE (which couldn't be seen 95% of the time). Based on your earlier recommendation that the PZ950 is a much better panel than the PX, I went ahead and got the PZ. And now you say it's a bad TV! I know my switch isn't your responsibility (caveat emptor, etc.), but we lay-people often give weight to the evaluations of calibrators. Sigh.

And all that said, I'm liking the 60PZ950 a lot even without a professional calibration, but now I'm stuck with this nagging feeling that I don't know what I'm missing. I guess ignorance is bliss?

It's not a bad tv by any means, but it is not the best you can get. Remember, the D8000 had a $600+ premium over the PZ950 when they came out. The D8000 is not $600+ better, but at the same price as the PZ now, it is the better buy.

As Turrican said, tune the tv and it becomes much better... very close or better to what the D8000 can do stock.

Yes Zoltan you most likely would void the warranty (they probably wouldnt be able to tell though), and yes it could be a little technical, but it is not that hard and absolutely worth it. The change from grey blacks to black blacks is worth the risk.

All you have to do is take out all the screws, remove back case, turn Set_Up all the way clockwise(mark the original spot first w a sharpee), then turn Vy? I believe (this is off the top of my head) a tiny bit to the left. If u see artifacts you tweak Set_Up back a bit. Then u just screw the 30ish screws back in and you're done. Much better blacks.
post #549 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I have no idea how to do pot tuning. Sounds like something for a professional, and if done wrong could ruin my TV and void the warranty?

Maybe someone could post a vid a la YouTube or somethin. Or some step by step screen shots...that is if someone would be daring to wanna try someday. Would be nice to see pics or vid of one already tweaked to see if can tell the difference.
post #550 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Maybe someone could post a vid a la YouTube or somethin. Or some step by step screen shots...that is if someone would be daring to wanna try someday. Would be nice to see pics or vid of one already tweaked to see if can tell the difference.

I'll second this request. Thanks to bhazard for the additional info, too. I wonder, would tuning the pots "drive" some aspects of the TV more than intended, such that the TV won't last as long? Also, if this makes the TV look so much better, why doesn't LG do it as part of the manufacturing process?
post #551 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

This is for the 60PZ950. The 50PZ might look different inside.

1. Start by removing ALL screws from the panel. The back piece will then pop off and look like this. Notice all the empty screw holes, there are around 30+ screws.

2. This is what the tv looks like with the back panel off. The arrow points to the board with the pots.

3. This is where Set_Up, Set_Dn, and Vy are located. Start with just adjusting Set_Up and Vy. Set_Up should go all the way clockwise or until artifacts appear. Vy should go a microturn to the left. Tweak Set_Dn clockwise if needed (try to not use it). Instant darker blacks. Have a mirror or someone watching the tv in a black bar scene to verify the blacks getting darker and no artifacts. Turn the tv off and on again to see if any artifacts appear during initial boot up.

4. Screw back piece back in. Done.
post #552 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:

1. Start by removing ALL screws from the panel. The back piece will then pop off and look like this. Notice all the empty screw holes, there are around 30+ screws.

2. This is what the tv looks like with the back panel off. The arrow points to the board with the pots.

3. This is where Set_Up, Set_Dn, and Vy are located. Start with just adjusting Set_Up and Vy. Set_Up should go all the way clockwise or until artifacts appear. Vy should go a microturn to the left. Tweak Set_Dn clockwise if needed (try to not use it). Instant darker blacks. Have a mirror or someone watching the tv in a black bar scene to verify the blacks getting darker and no artifacts. Turn the tv off and on again to see if any artifacts appear during initial boot up.

Thanks! Looks like a piece of cake!
post #553 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, and don't touch anything aside from those pots and use a non magnetic screwdriver. Touching those "battery looking" areas by accident will give you a nice little electric shock. Don't ask how I know this lol
post #554 of 1122 Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 PM

Wasn't it stated many pages back that the tuning should be done in 60p rather than 24p? Has the pixel misfire thing been seen by more than one person?
post #555 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

Wasn't it stated many pages back that the tuning should be done in 60p rather than 24p? Has the pixel misfire thing been seen by more than one person?

I would tune in the mode you use the most. Since most of my media and movies come from 60p, I tuned in 60p. If you are an avid Blu-ray watcher, tuning in 24p might be better.
post #556 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I'll second this request. Thanks to bhazard for the additional info, too. I wonder, would tuning the pots "drive" some aspects of the TV more than intended, such that the TV won't last as long? Also, if this makes the TV look so much better, why doesn't LG do it as part of the manufacturing process?

I’m going to assume that it reduces the margin of error in the field or as LG stated in the Tech Manual “Abnormal operational conditions may result”.
I’m sure if more time was addressed to each set there would be less discrepancies concerning the black levels, but like all mass produced consumer models time is money.

Just curious from those who have more technical knowledge if tweaking the VS ADJ (vertical) and VR ADJ (horizontal), (which drive the display panel’s horizontal and vertical electrodes on the power supply board), in conjunction the Set_Up, Set_Dn, and Vy adjustments on the Y-SUS board would produce even better results.
As it stands right now my 50PX950 is close to my brother’s Panasonic 50ST30 in black level although I find the LG’s color and shadow detail is better, still I may venture in the future to squeeze that last bit of black level performance out of the set.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #557 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pics and instructions. Nicely laid out.

Now...only if you could post some pics of the TV displaying those new blacks. I know that's asking a lot, but I thought I'd ask anywayz and I'm sure we are all curious. I don't know what type of camera you have but the pics are really clear!
post #558 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Simple explanation for the PK/PX950 but is the same for all panels.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #559 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to Bhazard for the photo explanation.

And here's another page from the tech manual.

PZ950 tech manual
http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...esentation.pdf

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #560 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

And the board layout for the 50"which is different from the 60"

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #561 of 1122 Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Thanks for the pics and instructions. Nicely laid out.

Now...only if you could post some pics of the TV displaying those new blacks. I know that's asking a lot, but I thought I'd ask anywayz and I'm sure we are all curious. I don't know what type of camera you have but the pics are really clear!

Its only a phone camera. A pic wouldn't really show the black levels correctly, and may make it look darker than it actually is. I'll try though.
post #562 of 1122 Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its only a phone camera. A pic wouldn't really show the black levels correctly, and may make it look darker than it actually is. I'll try though.

Although the difference should be obvious in person, to show the change in levels with a photo is difficult and a meter reading would be required to show the before and after difference in mll. http://finiteblack.blogspot.com/
I guess the point is for those brave souls who may be able to match black levels of the current competition there should be little to complain about.
Beware though that ones warranty would be void and tinkering is at your own risk and as stated Abnormal operational conditions may result but remember it's your set, you paid for it, own it, so feel free to modify as you please

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #563 of 1122 Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM

I've been using my TV after a burn-in period (200 hours) and so far am enjoying the colors. Yes the blacks are super gray but they don't bother me too much. I bought this TV for cheaper than I paid for my 40" Samsung LCD two years ago so I figure it'll be a nice little set that I can keep until next year or two and see what's coming down the pipe. If something killer comes out then I'll toss this in the bedroom and move the new TV into the living room.

The one thing that struck me is that even after 200 hours of burn in I get some image retention from as much as 20 minutes of gaming. Makes me a little scared of going for those long gaming sessions.
post #564 of 1122 Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyC View Post

The one thing that struck me is that even after 200 hours of burn in I get some image retention from as much as 20 minutes of gaming.

Unfortunately this is normal with LG plasmas.
post #565 of 1122 Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Ive just looked on the lg website and noticed the firmware for the tv has just been updated. I tried to update on the tv but it says tbere is no update available. I then tried to download it manually on my pc but cant seem to do it. Any ideas what i might be doing wrong

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
post #566 of 1122 Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Unfortunately this is normal with LG plasmas.

I noticed my first IR last night, when I left the TV sitting at the DVR menu for a bit while running to the restroom & getting a drink. (2-3 minutes). It was noticeable only in black (grey? ;-) scenes, and went away after a few minutes.

Drew
post #567 of 1122 Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryster View Post

Ive just looked on the lg website and noticed the firmware for the tv has just been updated. I tried to update on the tv but it says tbere is no update available. I then tried to download it manually on my pc but cant seem to do it. Any ideas what i might be doing wrong

I have no idea how to force an update if the TV hasn't noticed it yet. I usually just wait for the in-your-face notifier box that comes up when the TV notices a f/w update.

BTW, this box annoys the crap out of me, since I nearly always get it when I've turned the TV on via the "DVR" button on my Harmony, and so then I need to fiddle around & switch it into "TV" mode (or rummage through drawers to find the LG remote) to get rid of the damned update menu.

Drew
post #568 of 1122 Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Does anyone have access to any ISF calibration settings for the unit? I've tried the Cnet settings a few pages back, but I seem to get a green tinge to the image on-screen. Would the fact they used a US manufactured screen make that much difference to the results?

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
post #569 of 1122 Old 11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have access to any ISF calibration settings for the unit? I've tried the Cnet settings a few pages back, but I seem to get a green tinge to the image on-screen. Would the fact they used a US manufactured screen make that much difference to the results?

Try the FLATPANELSHD review http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1305795700

Picture preset: Expert1
Contrast 85
Brightness 49
H Sharpness: 50
V Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Gamma Low
Black level Low
Film mode Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -3
B contrast 2
R brightness 4
G brightness -14
B brightness 11
Eco mode Off

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #570 of 1122 Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Every screen is different. The only way to get a true ISF calibration on your tv.... is to have someone come and do an ISF calibration on your tv.

The FlatpanelsHD settings work best for me until I get the tv calibrated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page