Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 1121 Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also i was always told sharpness is another enhancement tool and should be set to zero. But in all the published calibrations they have it at 50, does anyone have an opinion as to which they would have?

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryster View Post

Also i was always told sharpness is another enhancement tool and should be set to zero. But in all the published calibrations they have it at 50, does anyone have an opinion as to which they would have?

Hi Bryster

On the vertical and horizontal sharpness 50 is zero, so you have the option to soften or increase sharpness.
How far off are your THX settings, on my PX they're are spot on and for most the best place to start.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

post #573 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks for that guys, cleared a few things up. I used the flatpanel settings initially but thought id try the cnet settings as they were a full 20point colour calibration. I must admit when i switch between the two theres very little difference. Thz settings are good but i find theyre a bit washed out on sd broadcasts. The cnet and fp settings will do until i can afford isf calibration

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
post #574 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Thanks for that guys, cleared a few things up. I used the flatpanel settings initially but thought id try the cnet settings as they were a full 20point colour calibration. I must admit when i switch between the two theres very little difference. Thz settings are good but i find theyre a bit washed out on sd broadcasts. The cnet and fp settings will do until i can afford isf calibration

Make the Color Gamut "Wide" for a bit more saturated color.
post #575 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thz settings are good but i find theyre a bit washed out on sd broadcasts. The cnet and fp settings will do until i can afford isf calibration

Hi Bryster,

For SD broadcast drop the brightness to about 45-48, contrast 80-85, works on my PX, also because of the low res on SD I upped the sharpness on the vertical and horizontal to max, shouldn't be a problem sitting 8-10' away.
You may already know, but the remote code is 8741 to change the THX settings or to lock your ISF Day/Night calibrations.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #576 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 01:01 PM

I've had the 60pz950 for 5 months now. My main board is getting replaced today and I have been calling LG for the last two days complaining about the 3D glasses. They told me I have been the only one to complain about the glasses shutting off every 10 minutes and that they will not replace the glasses, the store that I purchased them from has to replace it. After reading this message board and various reviews, I know I am not the only one to have this problem. I told LG to do some online research about the problems people are having and they said "We don't care about what our customers have to say about our product." After arguing on the phone for hours, I sent a email out and this is what I got.

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Regretfully it sounds as if the software on the glasses you have are not compatible with the TV you own. If you look at the box in which the glasses came in it will show F/W Ver. 0.63 or 0.64. If they are 0.63 they will auto shut off after 10 or more minutes and you need replacement glasses. Please check the software of the new glasses you receive to ensure they are the correct software, if they are listed as 0.64 you will not have any issues. Again I am so sorry for any inconvenience and will also have our parts department sent you out a set of glasses as a courtesy.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 at your convenience.

I contacted Amazon and they are sending replacements, even though it's been 5 months since I ordered. Amazon could not tell me the F/W Version though. IF you are having troubles, please call LG Customer Service and complain. They are aware of this issue, but they will deny it.
post #577 of 1121 Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

LG Support is awful. I have nothing but bad things to say about them.
post #578 of 1121 Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 AM

Liked: 11
Hi guys,

I just did the Pot trick on my 50PK550
adjusting only the Set_up (full clockwise)
& Vy (1mm counterclockwise)

al I can say is WOW what a difference almost Kuro Blacks
and no IR anymore.

Thanks for the info here

ps: I do put Nrgihtness a bit up now (54)
(was loosing some shadow details at 50)

Ciao
post #579 of 1121 Old 11-05-2011, 11:43 AM

I am tempted to try. Feel like I am Jailbreaking !! LOL. Should I wait x amount of hours cause I barely have a hundred. Thanks!!
post #580 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Sh*t,

I just had to turn set_up a bit back (2mm) and set Vy back to original
so i haven't got Kuro blacks anymore, now just a bit better than before

Red & Yellow pixels started showing randomly
If someone can give me some tips to have deep blacks, without strange pixels
I'd be very happy.
post #581 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I did mine today! WOOHOO!

Followed Biohazard's instructions to the tee. SET_UP CLOCKWISE all the way, and VY A TAD TO THE LEFT (about 8 O'Clock). I didn't touch set_down at all. I got pixel artifacts when tried VY at 7 O'Clock which I obviously moved back.

Blacks are deeper but not as much as I expected or inky but definitely quite an improvement than original.

I happened to pass by a Samsung in Walmart and thought...OK, time to get the screwdriver out .

Was very happy before, now EXTREMELY happy.

Thanks again Bhazard for the tutorial and slides. Question though, what would the set_down do and did you tweak that at all? Would that make even deeper?

Peace
post #582 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Question though, what would the set_down do and did you tweak that at all? Would that make even deeper?

Peace

Good question, from the graph it looks like it controls a timing sector, as in too long or too short and will cause distortion if not calibrated correctly.
The set_up definitely is stated to raise the black level and applies to the maximum and minimum voltage swing, too low or too high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Simple explanation for the PK/PX950 but is the same for all panels.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #583 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be interesting to know if all the sets have the trim pots starting at the same location, meaning the sets in terms of black level were not individually adjusted for optimum black for each panel but all placed in a safe zone.
On my PX950 the blacks are more than satisfying on the majority films and the black bars when viewing letter-box will vary with different sources. Scrutinizing my brothers Panasonic ST30 I found films with less than satisfying black levels on the PX fared no better on the ST, and as I mentioned before the LG still has the upper hand in natural color, gray scale and contrast.
Still these are interesting posts but for now the adjustments appear to be hit or miss until someone actually gets in there using a scope and voltage meter, maybe it's time for a professional calibrator to get their feet wet and offer it as part of the overall calibration as this tweak ( adjustment) can most likely be applied to all makes and models.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #584 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rob, when your PX is at the same MLL level as the ST30 and that is out of the box, then it would seem, that you got a very good panel and you should try the pot trick! Who knows, how deep your black levels could become?

As for the position of the pots, I find it interesting, that most sets from the last year are producing pixel missfires way before one could reach the clockwise end of the Set_Up pot and that this years models seem to go easily all the way up (clockwise).

Maybe LG has cut down the headroom one could achieve with the pots or the 2011 models are able to go much deeper in terms of black than the 2010 models.
post #585 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't think the PX950 ever got a lashing for it's blacks like the PZ950 did. CNET thought was decent...

The good: Produces relatively deep black levels; accurate color overall; correctly handles 1080p/24 sources; solid 3D performance; plenty of streaming and interactive features; extensive picture controls; sleek styling with single-plane design and 2-inch-deep panel; Magic Wand remote works well.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1czKEQlFG

...so I think Rob's should def produce deeper than the PZ. I think Bhazard had both so he can say for sure.

Turrican...you think messin with setup and VY would suffice. Or am I half way there?

Thanks all for ur help!

Peace
post #586 of 1121 Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

Rob, when your PX is at the same MLL level as the ST30 and that is out of the box, then it would seem, that you got a very good panel and you should try the pot trick! Who knows, how deep your black levels could become?

As for the position of the pots, I find it interesting, that most sets from the last year are producing pixel missfires way before one could reach the clockwise end of the Set_Up pot and that this years models seem to go easily all the way up (clockwise).

Maybe LG has cut down the headroom one could achieve with the pots or the 2011 models are able to go much deeper in terms of black than the 2010 models.

Hi Turrican

No I believe the ST30 has a slightly better MLL by a small margin but has problems on the gamma curve, losing shadow detail and is difficult to correct, the LG PX950 and most LGs I find fair much better. No amount of adjusting on the ST matched the color of the LG, flesh tones being the most obvious.
For those reporting grey blacks on their PZs, I'm curious if they are seeing that on everything, then there is a major problem, or are they looking at maybe a black screen with a bit of white text as on some movies and seeing a dark grey black background, sorry even the Panasonics look that way.
I think the major distracter is in a totally black scene and this could be film and source dependent, I watched a few BD films with black scenes and the screen stayed pretty dark with excellent shadow depth and detail, only to watch the same film from Netflix and the same black scenes were disappointing. Overall though I'd have to say black on the PX are black and if I get around to lowering the MLL by panel adjustments and without any anomalies it'll be a killer set.

Sad to say though, if LGs direction is more focused on consumer interfaces as in their new PZ850 (see review here http://www.avforums.com/review/LG-PZ...TV-Review.html ) and not taking their already excellent picture quality to new levels as in terms of the panels MLL then all may be lost.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #587 of 1121 Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did mine today! WOOHOO!

Followed Biohazard's instructions to the tee. SET_UP CLOCKWISE all the way, and VY A TAD TO THE LEFT (about 8 O'Clock). I didn't touch set_down at all. I got pixel artifacts when tried VY at 7 O'Clock which I obviously moved back.

Blacks are deeper but not as much as I expected or inky but definitely quite an improvement than original.

I happened to pass by a Samsung in Walmart and thought...OK, time to get the screwdriver out .

Was very happy before, now EXTREMELY happy.

Thanks again Bhazard for the tutorial and slides. Question though, what would the set_down do and did you tweak that at all? Would that make even deeper?

Peace

It takes HOURS to get a very deep black in adjusting. The best way to start is Set_Up all the way right, Vy all the way left, and slowly adjusting Set_dn until you get the blackest black you can find without artifacts.

I normally say stay away from Set_Dn, because the slightest tweak too much or too little can make your screen whiter and grayer than before tweaking. This is why it takes hours. Having Vy turned a little or all the way to the left (depending if your tv can handle it) allows Set_dn and Set-Up a little more headroom in achieving a deep black before pixel misfires.

I would recommend everyone do the adjustment who reads this thread. Its a must have in my opinion.

Unfortunately I didn't have the PX long enough to try the tweak on it, but I believe you can achieve just as good or better results doing the tweak on that set. It had a slightly deeper black level stock, but not by much.
post #588 of 1121 Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1213 View Post

Sh*t,

I just had to turn set_up a bit back (2mm) and set Vy back to original
so i haven't got Kuro blacks anymore, now just a bit better than before

Red & Yellow pixels started showing randomly
If someone can give me some tips to have deep blacks, without strange pixels
I'd be very happy.

Read my post above. Try Vy more to the left as well.
post #589 of 1121 Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

And Va full counterclockwise.
post #590 of 1121 Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:

I don't think the PX950 ever got a lashing for it's blacks like the PZ950 did. CNET thought was decent...

The good: Produces relatively deep black levels; accurate color overall; correctly handles 1080p/24 sources; solid 3D performance; plenty of streaming and interactive features; extensive picture controls; sleek styling with single-plane design and 2-inch-deep panel; Magic Wand remote works well.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...#ixzz1czKEQlFG

...so I think Rob's should def produce deeper than the PZ. I think Bhazard had both so he can say for sure.

Turrican...you think messin with setup and VY would suffice. Or am I half way there?

Thanks all for ur help!

Peace

All i can say is that my pz950 is far superior to my px950 in all aspects. From what other people have said here I am guessing that the blacks on my px950 were faulty to go along with the DSE, aggressive image retention, and line bleed all over the place.
post #591 of 1121 Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

And Va full counterclockwise.

Forgot about that.
post #592 of 1121 Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace_1000 View Post

All i can say is that my pz950 is far superior to my px950 in all aspects. From what other people have said here I am guessing that the blacks on my px950 were faulty to go along with the DSE, aggressive image retention, and line bleed all over the place.

That's infact the thing, LG got totally rid off in its 3D-models this year.

If they make another step next year and kill this pwm noise "bug" in the greyshades near black, I will consider to upgrade from my PK350.
post #593 of 1121 Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1213 View Post

Hi guys,

I just did the Pot trick on my 50PK550
adjusting only the Set_up (full clockwise)
& Vy (1mm counterclockwise)

al I can say is WOW what a difference almost Kuro Blacks
and no IR anymore.

Hi,

Just wanted to confirm that this exact procedure was done on my brother's 60PK550 and my 50PV450 with success! The difference is night and day. I didn't try messing with any other potentiometer though...just set_up and Vs. It changed both ours TVs completely. Awesome and thanks for discovering this!
post #594 of 1121 Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
going to pop on a PZ950 in the next couple of days.2 pair of glasses come with it.What LG BR player would you suggest? What build months should I stay away from? Anything else? Thanx.

WAP 16.

post #595 of 1121 Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM

2nd Go around, this time with the VA all the way clockwise (as TURRICAN reminded) , which gave the VY more headroom to turn to the left without any artifacts. I only notice when switching channels 1 time, but not sure if was FIOS STB or the TV itself.

I will leave back off for a while until sure if may need to turn VY a bit clockwise again, otherwise, like Mr. Takei would say...

OH MYYY!! ). sorry Sharp.
post #596 of 1121 Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2nd Go around, this time with the VA all the way clockwise (as TURRICAN reminded) , which gave the VY more headroom to turn to the left without any artifacts. I only notice when switching channels 1 time, but not sure if was FIOS STB or the TV itself.

I will leave back off for a while until sure if may need to turn VY a bit clockwise again, otherwise, like Mr. Takei would say...

OH MYYY!! ). sorry Sharp.

I might take an hour aside tonight to do final adjustments with VA and Set_Dn. Im aiming for near Kuro black, but if I can hit Samsung black I'll still be very happy.
post #597 of 1121 Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I might take an hour aside tonight to do final adjustments with VA and Set_Dn. Im aiming for near Kuro black, but if I can hit Samsung black I'll still be very happy.

I am not touching set_down until you give your blessings. I am very satisfied thus far with the 3 tweak knobs, I'm worried I might mess up if I fool with a fourth. I don't think this tv can pull off Samsung blacks, let alone Kuro blacks, but if you do, let us know and post positions please.

Whats the latest firmware out there? I have 04.00.18.

Thank God for power screwdrivers!
post #598 of 1121 Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya but make em strong!

By time I get around to doing mine you guys will have it down to a science ( the panel that is not the drinks).

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

post #599 of 1121 Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not touching set_down until you give your blessings. I am very satisfied thus far with the 3 tweak knobs, I'm worried I might mess up if I fool with a fourth. I don't think this tv can pull off Samsung blacks, let alone Kuro blacks, but if you do, let us know and post positions please.

Whats the latest firmware out there? I have 04.00.18.

There is newer firmware out. Might want to update.
post #600 of 1121 Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Hi,

can someone please post a correct procedure to get the best blacks possible without pixel misfires (red&yellow pxels) Cause I always get pixel misfires when Set_up is full clockwise (to the right)

1 Set_up completely to the right
2 Vy a bit to the left ?( but then the pixels got worse, so i put it back)
3 Va to the left or right ? (tried to the left but this does'nt do anything ,& I'm scared to try right)
4 Set_dn ?? didn't touch it yet, but it doesn't do much i guess? + could screw things up?

Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List