Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1121 Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

So I finally pulled the trigger on the 60 incher! If I decide to crack this baby open, (which I am leaning toward) can I do it immediately or should I wait 'til it has been broken in?

wait least 1000+ hours, the black levels rise on plasmas. Out of the box it should be good.
Goatse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1121 Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Here in the US, new f/w update 04.02.30...downloading now! Don't know yet what it will bring.

Supposedly 3D should be a bit better. Gonna test it later
bhazard is offline  
post #633 of 1121 Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Don't suppose you guys know how to lower the black level on a Panasonic

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #634 of 1121 Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Don't suppose you guys know how to lower the black level on a Panasonic

There's a thread on the Pansonic's rising blacks from 2010 that addresses this exact issue, the nice thing is that there are holes on the back panels to access the pots, I believe this years crop have no pots and everything is controled by software, I believe.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

 

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

rob80b is offline  
post #635 of 1121 Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Member
 
th3third's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

wait least 1000+ hours, the black levels rise on plasmas. Out of the box it should be good.

Thanks. I thought things stabilized after about 200 hrs.
th3third is offline  
post #636 of 1121 Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post


Supposedly 3D should be a bit better. Gonna test it later

I think def better. Not that I thought was bad but if there was minimal ghosting before, now even less.
derod68 is offline  
post #637 of 1121 Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

Thanks. I thought things stabilized after about 200 hrs.

mine has about 2500 hours and couldn't show blacks anymore it has gotten so light. the black bars in movies would just glow bright grey. The pots did help noticeably.
Goatse is offline  
post #638 of 1121 Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Earlier, I had asked how Black Ops on XBOX 360 played on the PZ950 while it was in storage.

Well, I can thankfully say that I have zero lag on game mode on this or any game that I played on this tv thus far (now with MW3).

Unfortunately, this was not the case on the PZ750 so I am glad I upgraded
derod68 is offline  
post #639 of 1121 Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Newbie
 
nojlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 60PZ950 has the annoying problem of turning on the internal speakers when starting Netflix even though they are set to off in the setup.

I have the speakers set to off as I use a sound bar connected to the optical output. As soon as I start Netflix the speakers come on and they stay on even if I exit Netflix. This causes an annoying echo and you can guess how the wife feels!

When I turn the TV off and on again the speakers will once again be off (until running Netflix!)

I am using the latest firmware 04.02.30.

I have contacted LG and I don't think they really understood the issue but thought that it would be fixed in the next firmware. Well, I recently got the new firmware and it didn't help.

Anyone else notice this or can check if their set does the same thing?
nojlg is offline  
post #640 of 1121 Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New 3D App...mostly just formatted differently with added content.

I am going to call LG after the Holidays. The Glasses thing has got me on edge. ALL 4 glasses timed out 3-4 times to each of my family members while watching Cats vs. Dogs!!! ?
derod68 is offline  
post #641 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been contemplating this set for literally months!
It is priced VERY well now. Although it comes without glasses and the usb internet connectivity thingy.
So now I am ready to buy!

My question to all current owners: Is the pz950 "my best possible overall option for the money?"
I.e. Is there ANY other set that must be considered over/instead of this one for under $2k?

My requirements: 60"+, min 240hz, 3D, energystar, under $2k.

I have considered a couple of LED/LCD (LG, Sharp, Vizio) but I keep hearing plasma is gonna give me the best pq, period. I am coming from DLP, so either will be a vast improvement.
Your feedback is very appreciated as I am ready to buy NOW...

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #642 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Uhhhhm..... Anyone????

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #643 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Member
 
bryster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can only say from my personal experience, but for the money I am yet to see a better screen (In the UK anyway). If you look at forums for other manufacturers they have what I would consider to be major issues and cost more i.e flaking screen bezels(Samsung), green blobs, floating blacks, fluctuating brightness, excessive buzzing(all Panasonic).

Yet when you look at this LG forum most peoples only complaint is weak blacks. On the plus side is has wonderful motion handling, amazing colour and class leading grey-scale reproduction. Yes some other manufacturers have better blacks, but are they really that bad compared to their other issues. The blacks in my opinion are not wonderful but they are not as bad as others make out. If you're really bothered and have some technical know how, take the back off as detailed earlier in the forum and have a fiddle.

As I have said above for the money there isn't much better for the money in my opinion

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
bryster is offline  
post #644 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryster View Post

I can only say from my personal experience, but for the money I am yet to see a better screen (In the UK anyway). If you look at forums for other manufacturers they have what I would consider to be major issues and cost more i.e flaking screen bezels(Samsung), green blobs, floating blacks, fluctuating brightness, excessive buzzing(all Panasonic).

Yet when you look at this LG forum most peoples only complaint is weak blacks. On the plus side is has wonderful motion handling, amazing colour and class leading grey-scale reproduction. Yes some other manufacturers have better blacks, but are they really that bad compared to their other issues. The blacks in my opinion are not wonderful but they are not as bad as others make out. If you're really bothered and have some technical know how, take the back off as detailed earlier in the forum and have a fiddle.

As I have said above for the money there isn't much better for the money in my opinion

Bryster,

I certainly appreciate your response! I am actually surprised of all the replies in this thread, you are the only direct response...
But yes, the only issue I read from reviewers is "black levels".
Black levels/contrast is very important but all the various other issues that you mention appear to be much worse and troubling from other brands.
How long have you owned yours? How are the viewing angles, glare in a somewhat bright room?
Is it suitable for occassional gaming: XBOX, PS3?

Thanks in advance!

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #645 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi TXSTYLE

I have to agree with bryster on that one, I have the PX950 not the PZ but I chose it over the competition because of the picture quality not the price.
Yes the black when watching certain movies could do with some improving but we are working on it, us here, not LG.
"LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1372479

"Is it suitable for occassional gaming: XBOX, PS3?"
Yes.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

 

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

rob80b is offline  
post #646 of 1121 Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Robert or Bryce.... Hows Viewing angles?

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #647 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob80b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Robert or Bryce.... Hows Viewing angles?

It's a plasma, excellent.
Some of the reviews mentioned the filter caused some problems from above, but at such an oblique angle that it's not worth worrying about.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

 

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

rob80b is offline  
post #648 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Member
 
bryster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gaming is fantastic. I play battlefield 3, pro evidence soccer, Batman arkam asylum with no issues.

Viewing angles again good but due to the fact there is a big sheet of glass on the front reflections can be a pain. I can't find any major faults with the screen apart from the blacks which if you want to tinker can be fixed

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
bryster is offline  
post #649 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great thanks!

Looks I found mt next TV.

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #650 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Great thanks!

Looks I found mt next TV.

Hi TXSTYLE,

Make sure you get glasses with firmware 0.64 and not 0.63!

The latter are defective, shutting off while watching 3D programming.

LG is resolving issue as we "speak" and will be sending me new ones. I doubt if they still manufacture the bad ones but depending where you buy, just be aware.

As far as TV...I LOVE IT!! Colors, Detail, and yes, Gaming all Great! 3D is not perfect but totally enjoyable. Blacks are weaker than should be, but as Rob stated, you may someday want to break a screwdriver out like many of us have to get MIND BLOWING PQ. Also remember the 8741 Tweak for THXMode if u feel u need to change (it is greyed out by default). I don't think there is 0 Crosstalk on any 3D tvs, but this one is very minimal and not an issue, at least not on this thread!

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the LG PLASMA FAMILY!

Peace
derod68 is offline  
post #651 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Hi TXSTYLE,

Make sure you get glasses with firmware 0.64 and not 0.63!

The latter are defective, shutting off while watching 3D programming.

LG is resolving issue as we "speak" and will be sending me new ones. I doubt if they still manufacture the bad ones but depending where you buy, just be aware.

As far as TV...I LOVE IT!! Colors, Detail, and yes, Gaming all Great! 3D is not perfect but totally enjoyable. Blacks are weaker than should be, but as Rob stated, you may someday want to break a screwdriver out like many of us have to get MIND BLOWING PQ. Also remember the 8741 Tweak for THXMode if u feel u need to change (it is greyed out by default). I don't think there is 0 Crosstalk on any 3D tvs, but this one is very minimal and not an issue, at least not on this thread!

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the LG PLASMA FAMILY!

Peace

Fantastic info! Especially on the glasses. Rhis is the kind of info I'm looking for and I myself would share. I am not brave enough to open the set lol, but Any and All tweaks, settings menu, etc are much appreciated.
How can I be certain of the correct glasses?

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #652 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post


Fantastic info! Especially on the glasses. Rhis is the kind of info I'm looking for and I myself would share. I am not brave enough to open the set lol, but Any and All tweaks, settings menu, etc are much appreciated.
How can I be certain of the correct glasses?

It's on side of the Box.
LL
derod68 is offline  
post #653 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
TXSTYLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Awesome! Guess I will have to get the retailer to verify

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
TXSTYLE is offline  
post #654 of 1121 Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Awesome! Guess I will have to get the retailer to verify

Not too many complaints on this thread, although some. With that said, I do want to say that I don't know if fact that ALL glasses Model AG-S250 with firmware 0.63 are defective...just to be clear.
derod68 is offline  
post #655 of 1121 Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Not too many complaints on this thread, although some. With that said, I do want to say that I don't know if fact that ALL glasses Model AG-S250 with firmware 0.63 are defective...just to be clear.

Will LG exchange mine even though they are pretty old and probably past warranty?

The new firmware does fix the ghosting issues in dark scenes that the tv used to have. Avatar, Under the Sea, and Tangled are a great reference for 3D. Kudos to LG on this.
bhazard is offline  
post #656 of 1121 Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Update on the glasses:

I did a live chat with LG, and they will be sending new glasses with the new firmware in 7-10 days. The best part is, I don't even need to return the old ones! Kudos to LG on that, much better customer service experience this time. $160 value

If you have firmware .63 (or if your glasses shut off), check with LG for replacements.
bhazard is offline  
post #657 of 1121 Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Member
 
bryster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know about the 8741 code to edit locked picture settings, but is there anyway to edit the 3d settings with a code. When I press q.menu during 3d playback, I get the 3d setting option but cannot change anything in there. I would like a bit more depth but the option is greyed out. Any ideas?

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
bryster is offline  
post #658 of 1121 Old 12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryster View Post

I know about the 8741 code to edit locked picture settings, but is there anyway to edit the 3d settings with a code. When I press q.menu during 3d playback, I get the 3d setting option but cannot change anything in there. I would like a bit more depth but the option is greyed out. Any ideas?

Its under "Set Video"
bhazard is offline  
post #659 of 1121 Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Member
 
bryster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No not the picture settings, I want to change 3d depth. Try it on your set and you'll see. Press q.menu during 3d playback , select 3d setting and all options are greyed out

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
bryster is offline  
post #660 of 1121 Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Member
 
derod68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Update on the glasses:

I did a live chat with LG, and they will be sending new glasses with the new firmware in 7-10 days. The best part is, I don't even need to return the old ones! Kudos to LG on that, much better customer service experience this time. $160 value

If you have firmware .63 (or if your glasses shut off), check with LG for replacements.

Hi BHazard...

Kudos on your LG Support Experience!

Mine was not as smooth. All very helpful but I probably should have done by chat.
Spoke with 3 different reps. All said would ship new glasses.

Day 1...Rep said would email me Upload Portal To forward receipts/proof of glasses purchase.
Day 2...another Rep followed up to process. Confirmed they received and gave me Case #.
Day 3..another Rep followed up and had to re-process (thankfully they had all info). He said 1st Case# was canceled because they dropped the ball as this is all new process for them with the glasses thing.
Day 4...Still waiting for email with Shipping Label even though they say takes 24 to 72 hrs. To get email!! Then 5-7 Business Days to receive and didd o to send. (I have to send all mine back. I can't believe they didn't ask you to return yours! Lucky! )

I will keep you guys posted. But def worth to hit them up for replacements because they acknowledge glasses are faulty.
derod68 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off