post #721 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

It's not firmware or the tv, its a setting. See if the ABL (auto brightness limiter) is turned on. You may have to use both the quick menu and the full menu to find it. The tv has no fluctuations once abl and energy saver are turned off.

Not too sure why LG have these engaged out of the box although all three manufactures do this, probably to appease the energy conscious consumer, but it does throw you for a loop seeing your new set fluctuate back and forth.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hit 8741 on the remote while in THX mode to edit it. While in the picture, use quick menu on the remote and ensure that intelligent sensor is turned off in the energy saving section, along with your chosen picture mode. Intelligent Sensor = ABL. Sometimes Intelligent Sensor stays enabled.

If its not that, try plugging into a decent surge protector. Might be a line issue.

bhazard, Energy Sensor is off, you can see it in the attachment. Power is stable, I even checked it with digital oscilloscope (119V) .
LL
post #723 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshvydky View Post

bhazard, Energy Sensor is off, you can see it in the attachment. Power is stable, I even checked it with digital oscilloscope (119V) .

You didn't check the quick menu though. It will show options at the bottom of the screen while you are viewing a picture. Sometimes Intelligent Sensor stays on in there even if you turned it off via the full menu.
post #724 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:

You didn't check the quick menu though. It will show options at the bottom of the screen while you are viewing a picture. Sometimes Intelligent Sensor stays on in there even if you turned it off via the full menu.

I checked, just did not make a picture. It is off.
post #725 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 AM

So any ideas how to revert the firmware back to 03.XX.XX?
post #726 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't want to revert. The tv has 3D ghosting issues in dark scenes prior to the newest firmware. I'm not sure if you can.
post #727 of 1121 Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:

You don't want to revert. The tv has 3D ghosting issues in dark scenes prior to the newest firmware. I'm not sure if you can.

I want, cause I bought it for 2D only...
post #728 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM

Liked: 10
I am still on my quest, and a recent great deal on an LG 50PZ950 plasma has me back to two sets duking it out again. The competitor being a Vizio (yes Vizio) E3D470VX.
I have them side by side and tweaked to match one another as best as I can. Of course, one remote controls both of them, including power, volume, tuner, and all menu changes!
I have an admitted Plasma bias, but I am shocked at how close this mid-level Vizio matches up next to the "flagship" LG plasma. Colors, and saturation both look fantastic. The menu system, especially for streaming services and "widgets" on the Vizio is FAR FAR FAR superior. It is much quicker, easier, less cumbersome, and has many more choices. Really LG, no Pandora?!
The biggest hang-up is of course the black levels. While according to these forums LG's blacks are no good, I think they are perfectly good to great. It adds considerably more "pop" to the picture and dark scenes and shadow details are black. I don't necessarily find that the Vizio is "grey" its just that the blacks have a very noticeable blue tint to them. Very distracting. I have tried to get rid of it with temperature and bias adjustments but just cant.
Despite this, and the awesome picture of the LG, I am conflicted simply because of the LG's great menu system, streaming options, and passive 3D. Bottom line though is movie watching is much more enjoyable on the LG and its physical design is much more appealing and stylish.
post #729 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 AM

^^^ I believe you already touched on the better watching/selling points of the LG.

New owner here of the 60 PZ950... And after 2 weeks, I am VERY happy and content.
I have read all the talk of "black level tweaking" and honestly... Yeah I notice a ever so non jet black background at times (changing channels or black bars which I am certainly limiting during my break-in period) but when a picture is actually playing... FANTASTIC!

The colors pop the fast moving objects do just that without lag or blur and the sound is even much higher than I expected (I'm a audiophile and have a hefty surround sound setup too).
I have sampled a lil' bit of everything: Sports, News, 1080p blu ray, cartoons. They ALL look superb already! I have no desire to open panels! My levels are sitting @ 52 for contrast and 53 brightness. I have even played around in the online apps which don't load at the speed of light, but are satisfactory for me coming from a 4yr old DLP with nada!
All in All... Can't imagine after a year of solid searching and comparison, a better TV for the money... Period!
Oh by the way... My vision is 19/20 so I see better than the average human.

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #730 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb33 View Post

I am still on my quest, and a recent great deal on an LG 50PZ950 plasma has me back to two sets duking it out again. The competitor being a Vizio (yes Vizio) E3D470VX.
I have them side by side and tweaked to match one another as best as I can. Of course, one remote controls both of them, including power, volume, tuner, and all menu changes!
I have an admitted Plasma bias, but I am shocked at how close this mid-level Vizio matches up next to the "flagship" LG plasma. Colors, and saturation both look fantastic. The menu system, especially for streaming services and "widgets" on the Vizio is FAR FAR FAR superior. It is much quicker, easier, less cumbersome, and has many more choices. Really LG, no Pandora?!
The biggest hang-up is of course the black levels. While according to these forums LG's blacks are no good, I think they are perfectly good to great. It adds considerably more "pop" to the picture and dark scenes and shadow details are black. I don't necessarily find that the Vizio is "grey" its just that the blacks have a very noticeable blue tint to them. Very distracting. I have tried to get rid of it with temperature and bias adjustments but just cant.
Despite this, and the awesome picture of the LG, I am conflicted simply because of the LG's great menu system, streaming options, and passive 3D. Bottom line though is movie watching is much more enjoyable on the LG and its physical design is much more appealing and stylish.

Passive 3d? Sure you got the plasma? The LED has passive 3d

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #731 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Hey folks,

so I got my 50pz950 now and am very happy with it so far. Still playing around, and now I am wondering about all the "breakin" hype going on here ... honestly this is my 4th plasma, and I never took the time or 200 hours to run them at low brightness and contrast. It's never been an issue.
Setting the PZ950 to 50 contrast and brightness feels way too dark, especially watching darker scenes you can hardly see any detail at those settings.
So what exactly happens if I don't care and run it at contrast 90, brightness 65? Will the set implode on me the next day?

thanks

boba
post #732 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba23 View Post

Hey folks,

so I got my 50pz950 now and am very happy with it so far. Still playing around, and now I am wondering about all the "breakin" hype going on here ... honestly this is my 4th plasma, and I never took the time or 200 hours to run them at low brightness and contrast. It's never been an issue.
Setting the PZ950 to 50 contrast and brightness feels way too dark, especially watching darker scenes you can hardly see any detail at those settings.
So what exactly happens if I don't care and run it at contrast 90, brightness 65? Will the set implode on me the next day?

thanks

boba

Implode... No. but that chick from The Ring will climb out of your set and proceed to get medievil on you!
My understanding... The phosphorous burns hotter/brighter intially. 100-200 hours? Who truly knows... I did 100 hours. But I am simply gonna enjoy my TV!

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #733 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM

The Ring, cool movie ;-) and I wouldn't wanna have her in my living room hehehe.
No seriously, I mean I could live with that low brightness/contrast setting for a week or so. I just doubt that it's worth it or if it really has any noticeable positive effect.

boba
post #734 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba23 View Post

The Ring, cool movie ;-) and I wouldn't wanna have her in my living room hehehe.
No seriously, I mean I could live with that low brightness/contrast setting for a week or so. I just doubt that it's worth it or if it really has any noticeable positive effect.

boba

I think setting it to THX Cinema or one of the ISF Expert settings should be fine. I know it'll say "90" contrast but that's not really the same as it setting to "Vivid" or "Dynamic" or whatever they call it.
post #735 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

100-200 hours? Who truly knows... I did 100 hours. But I am simply gonna enjoy my TV!

After about 80 hours, I tweaked the THX Cinema settings to 84 Contrast and 53 Brightness. I'm still zooming or cropping the black bars off screen until I get 200+ hours.
post #736 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

I have even played around in the online apps which don't load at the speed of light, but are satisfactory for me coming from a 4yr old DLP with nada!

My 5YO niece and 3YO nephew were here X-mas eve. They loved some of the "Yoo Hoo" games. I think they liked missing the target more than hitting it in the arrow shooting game, because of the mad face the raccoon makes. The puzzle game was a big hit and my nephew really surprised everyone with his freakish memory skills in the card matching game. The only video game my mother ever played was Tetris until she played Gem Quest. Now she asked me to find a safe download of Bejewelled, which is essentially the same game, for her computer. Some of the games I DLed for the TV didn't work.

My father was impressed with the giant Google topo maps of his old hunting grounds.

vTuner is ok, but no match for Pandora. I'm not sure why LG can't close a licensing deal. Not having Blockbuster in the TV is no big deal for me since my bluray player has it, but LG should have more options for those who want new releases while they are still new.

I didn't even know what viewster was until I bought my TV. I found some interesting free documentaries, but overall it is a low value addition for me. I've only had my TV for 10 days and there is still a lot for me to discover.

Being a nerd, my faves are the JPL and Discovery News app. I just JPL continues to add content.

The Motion remote can't come close to a Wii remote, but is still faster than the regular remote for entering text in search boxes, since I can't figure out how to enter text like a cell phone using the number buttons.
post #737 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

Whats tweaks did you make and how was it calibrated?

Sorry for the late reply. I have not tweaked any pots or had it calibrated yet, but that will probably make me like my TV even more. The only thing holding it back is some new brown DSE I discovered in light blue skies to go along with some limited pink DSE on bright white backgrounds.
post #738 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

Sorry for the late reply. I have not tweaked any pots or had it calibrated yet, but that will probably make me like my TV even more. The only thing holding it back is some new brown DSE I discovered in light blue skies to go along with some limited pink DSE on bright white backgrounds.

Is the set bright? How do whites/hockey look? And do you game? Lag would be a serious hit for me

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #739 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Is the set bright? How do whites/hockey look? And do you game? Lag would be a serious hit for me

I've had the brightness set 50-54. The pink DSE on white is not enough to distract from a hockey game because the spots are not too big and on the periphery and the camera and players are always moving. Plus, it depends on the viewing angle. This is primarily an effect of the anti-glare film on the PZ950. I'll try to get some pics of a paused image to illustrate. I don't have any accurate lag measurements, but I can say that "game mode" makes a little improvement, as does connecting directly to an HDMI port on the tv and not passing it through an AV receiver. FWIW, I've only tried a PS3 and am not an FPS gamer.

From what info I have gathered about new models, in general, most led/lcd TVs have slightly less input lag than most plasmas, BUT even the fastest refreshing, quickest response time led/lcd TVs can't produce the smooth motion of a plasma. IIRC, Samsung has the least input lag among plasmas. I forget where I saw it, but someone actually measured an advantage over other brands with an XBox 360.

Bottom line, I can't FEEL any significant advantage or disadvantage of this model against any TV I have gamed on when it come to input lag.
post #740 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Hello guys! This is my first post here, but I have been silently reading this forum for many years.
So here is the story. Today I received mine 60PZ950 (Jul 2011), and the first thing I did is upgraded firmware. Now I have some kind of brightness fluctuations. It is some times even like flickering (on blue skies for instance) or/and changes colors a little (noticeable on faces, small but jerky changes, when panorama is changing slowly).
It is not what you can see on the first sight, but it is definitely noticeable while watching a blue ray for 10-30 minutes.
It looks to me like ABL/APL system problem...
I can't blame the new firmware (04.02.30), because I did the upgrade before I even watch anything on it. But I would like to try previous version to see the reason.
Does anybody know how to downgrade firmware?
Thank you,
Nick

i had 2 pv 450's and both did this and i assure you the intelli sensor was off on all menus.
post #741 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

I just got a replacement (thanks to Amazon). The new unit has been manufactured in the same time (Jun 2011). This time I did not upgrade the firmware (03.XX.XX) but I still see the same problem. So at least I am sure now that it is not related to the new firmware and/or particular unit.
I've made a clip, so you can see what I mean. On the attached video snapshot I marked the area you should be looking. You can see that it is abruptly changing color and intensity (gamma?) when APL is changing a little.
I do not see this effect on my LCD TVs and notebooks.
It seems that probability of that effect on any particular scene depends on the picture settings (brightness, contrast) but in any case it usually can be seen during 15-20 minutes of watching a movie.
I am just wondering does anybody else ever noticed anything similar?

LL
post #742 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like dynamic contrast might be enabled. Kill it if it is.

It looks like more of a picture setting problem than a tv problem.
post #743 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Looks like dynamic contrast might be enabled. Kill it if it is.

It looks like more of a picture setting problem than a tv problem.

All enhancements are off. The problem exists on any picture settings, but with different brightness/contrast it can be seen on different scenes of a movie. Most noticeable on scenes with a big wall and somebody/something moving.
It is also very noticeable on cartoons: Futurama Season 5, in HD on Netflix for instance (Cinema mode with all enhancements off).
I am thinking may be it is a bad batch...
post #744 of 1121 Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Passive 3d? Sure you got the plasma? The LED has passive 3d

I'm saying the Vizio (CCCL non LED) that I am competing this tv with in my LR is Passive 3D which I have come to greatly prefer. The overall day to dat picture of the PZ950 is "better", but not blatantly so. And although my purchase prices were within $100 of each other, the fact that the PZ950 is a $1600 flagship plasma vs the $800 mid range CCFL Vizio really amazes me. I can't express how much better ther menu system is to use on the Vizio, and that's not saying the LG is bad at all.
post #745 of 1121 Old 12-29-2011, 02:09 AM

Quick follow up on my replaced 4 pairs of glasses with new firmware 0.64...

All work perfectly with no...I mean ZERO, Nada, time out issues while 3D movies or gaming.

LG is super fast in sending out as soon as they received!

I sent mine out on a Monday and got replacement(s) Friday of same week!

They did screw up once though. They had sent me one pair instead of 4. I called them right away and sent out remaining 3. No biggy. They apologized and acknowledged their mistake. Stuff happens.

HAPPY 2012 to my LG Family!
post #746 of 1121 Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

All enhancements are off. The problem exists on any picture settings, but with different brightness/contrast it can be seen on different scenes of a movie. Most noticeable on scenes with a big wall and somebody/something moving.
It is also very noticeable on cartoons: Futurama Season 5, in HD on Netflix for instance (Cinema mode with all enhancements off).
I am thinking may be it is a bad batch...

i had the exact same thing on the 450's. one was a july build., the other was an oct. build. all the settings that may have caused this were off. it was really bad on football...

and for the the record you can not totally turn off ABL on plasmas, but this is not a ABL problem.

i got the LG's because of all the problems with panny and samsung, i did not read of any problems with LG, but after i posted this problem in the 450 forum there were a few that also posted of the same problem.

now i have a frickin panny ST with a pink tint problem at the edges of the panel, that will be going back, this is panny #2.
post #747 of 1121 Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

and for the the record you can not totally turn off ABL on plasmas, but this is not a ABL problem.

I actually investigated it a little bit further, and I believe it could be a problem of TV calibration on the fab.

When APL is changing the ABL limits/changes only brightness/contrast. In my case it also changes color temperature for some grays.

Also if APL is lower the brightness/contrast should be higher, but again in my case it is not always true, on some colors it makes it lower.

It is easily can be seen on gray-scale steps if slowly change APL (for instance on the right half of a screen is gray-scale steps and on the left is square that gradually changes it's brightness from 0 to 255 and back during time).
Also it can be seen on static gray-scale steps, when you change contrast setting on TV. In my case when I change contrast from 81 to 80 some greys (192 approx) become lighter and more green, and when I change from 80 to 79 they became darker and neutral again.
post #748 of 1121 Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I actually investigated it a little bit further, and I believe it could be a problem of TV calibration on the fab.

Sorry but what do you mean by calibration on the "fab?" Do you think this is something that can be calibrated out with a good calibration disc?
post #749 of 1121 Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

Sorry but what do you mean by calibration on the "fab?" Do you think this is something that can be calibrated out with a good calibration disc?

I suppose there should be a table with brightness/gamma values for different APL or some coefficients for calculating brightness/gamma vs APL. I'm not sure it is accessible or not in service menu; it could be just flashed in eeprom on the fab.
post #750 of 1121 Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Though I do not need that anymore I accidentally found the answer on this question when I was playing with my set . So here is how to revert the firmware:
1. Select HOME->SETUP->OPTION (Select OPTION itself, do not select anything on the right menu).
2. Click '9' on the remote 8 times. The TV should say that program restore has been completed and it is going to reboot.
3. Then click HOME->SUPPORT->Initialization of Premium.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page