Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1122 Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Got new firmware version 04.03.02 on the 11th of April. Can't find any info on it anywhere. LG site still has 04.02.30 on it. Would be nice of them to inform their customers of changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1122 Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked: 10
I noticed its a lot quicker switching between video presets.
post #993 of 1122 Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaigt View Post

Got new firmware version 04.03.02 on the 11th of April. Can't find any info on it anywhere. LG site still has 04.02.30 on it. Would be nice of them to inform their customers of changes.

Me too! Loving how I've only had it a few months but received several updates already. The USB WiFi thingy is just awesome.

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #994 of 1122 Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
So I bought a 60 incher and am now among you. 0% for two years pushed me over the edge and apparently I received one of the last New Egg had because the day mine was shipped, their website pulled this model and it is now deactivated.

I am a little bit concerned about my 60 inch model being of the newer ZLHR variety, which have been reported to have a serious color shifting issue that develops after some use. I can only hope that I am lucky enough to avoid such an issue. It has been my experience that I always end up with a set that goes bonkers and develops a strange, nutso problem that ruins the viewing experience. Happens to me every time.

Out the box the set looks better than expected for a budget plasma. We have Verizon FiOS in Jersey and the PQ is quite nice and it does appear that we are seeing 1080p and 60Hz. I have yet to try DVD or PS3 with 24fps Blu Ray content because I have a new receiver as well and am struggling with input assignments (on the receiver).

This weekend I hope to try some Blu Rays out (no 2.35:1 yet, so that'll limit my choices) and am hoping getting smooth 24p playback is possible. Has anyone here an update on the 24p playback issues reported early on in this thread? A European firmware update seemed to correct the problem overseas, but what about here?

3D is meaningless to me, by the way. Will never buy 3D titles. Hate it. Wish it could be disinvented.

Made a few adjustments in Expert 1 and currently have a breakin sequence of pics playing via USB stick. Damn I love USB sticks!

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #995 of 1122 Old 04-13-2012, 01:51 PM

Liked: 12
Remember this is LG's flagship plasma at a budgetprice - Not a budget plasma..

I previously owned a 240hz Samsung led that had major jarring and problems with playing my blu rays at 24p but when I exchanged it for this , the 24p playback has been breathtaking in my opinion.. I am constantly watching my Dark Knight blu ray and everytime I'm just touchingly blown away by the picture quality. It just boggles my mind how a tv for twice as much (led) can be so far behind this plasma which is 1/2 the price and comes with more features ..

And btw, I have NO IDEA of the weak black levels everyone talks about at least on my tv .. maybe was a problem with the earlier models since I got my tv less than a month ago ?
post #996 of 1122 Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, it looks like I will have to call LG. I am having that strange green problem. When I watch previews for movies, the green MPAA screen is just a bunch of two toned streaks of green. Clearly this issue still exists. What is the specific fix to this?

Another issue I am having is tiny green dots. After adjusting the picture using Expert 1, I get random green dots everywhere. They are tiny and can only be seen when a few feet away from the screen, but it doesn't look normal. When I switch back to THX Cinema mode, they disappear. It's a kind of random noise, but only in green.

Also, when playing COMMANDO on Blu Ray I had audio/picture lag. The audio was a bit ahead of the video and no amount of frame adjustment using my Pioneer VSX-921 solved the issue. I'm sure this is an HDMI issue (I see this sort of thing reported for all sorts of setups). The other three BluRays I tried were fine. No idea if it is the TV or the receiver or the PS3 at fault here.

24p playback is smooth. No stuttering at all. Wireless update was fast and easy. The Magic remote is a pain in the neck to use, but once I slowed the movement down to the slowest setting it became tolerable. My wife loves the set and noticed none of the above issues, even when I pointed them out. I'm extremely sensitive to these things. Just can't help it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #997 of 1122 Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM

It sure is quiet in here ..... crickets....

So does anyone here have any idea what the recent 04.03.02 update does ?
post #998 of 1122 Old 04-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think it's because everyone with the PZ950's are all enjoying their TV's instead of worrying about peeling screens or fluctuating brightness
post #999 of 1122 Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Amen to that

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
post #1000 of 1122 Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I think it's because everyone with the PZ950's are all enjoying their TV's instead of worrying about peeling screens or fluctuating brightness

I second that Amen!!
post #1001 of 1122 Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I could use some answers to my questions!

post #1002 of 1122 Old 04-18-2012, 12:24 AM

Hi Guys,

Just got the 50" as a replacement for a 4 week old Samsung 51d550 that decided to not switch on.
So far I am impressed, however I have a few concerns:

1. Do I need to worry about burn in with this panel? I have noticed image retention, especially from the menus - it goes away after a few mins but it is annoying - is this normal and will it start happening less as the TV gets more use?Do I need to break the tv in for the first 100 hours or avoid widescreen bars??
2. 2D-3D conversion, maybe I am just getting used to it but it seems slightly out of focus to me, is this something which has been experienced by anyone else? Will a native 3D blu-ray be better in terms of quality and overall experience?
3. Picture mode/calibration: on standard mode some of the black scenes on my HD content seem "blotchy", on THX it's perfect but the overall picture seems a bit too yellow or warm - any way to sort this out with some decent settings?

Thanks!
post #1003 of 1122 Old 04-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sno View Post

Remember this is LG's flagship plasma at a budgetprice - Not a budget plasma..

I previously owned a 240hz Samsung led that had major jarring and problems with playing my blu rays at 24p but when I exchanged it for this , the 24p playback has been breathtaking in my opinion.. I am constantly watching my Dark Knight blu ray and everytime I'm just touchingly blown away by the picture quality. It just boggles my mind how a tv for twice as much (led) can be so far behind this plasma which is 1/2 the price and comes with more features ..

And btw, I have NO IDEA of the weak black levels everyone talks about at least on my tv .. maybe was a problem with the earlier models since I got my tv less than a month ago ?

THIS!!!!

Loving my pz950 60"!!!

Purchase of the year easily. :-)

post #1004 of 1122 Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndempster View Post

Hi Guys,

Just got the 50" as a replacement for a 4 week old Samsung 51d550 that decided to not switch on.
So far I am impressed, however I have a few concerns:

1. Do I need to worry about burn in with this panel? I have noticed image retention, especially from the menus - it goes away after a few mins but it is annoying - is this normal and will it start happening less as the TV gets more use?Do I need to break the tv in for the first 100 hours or avoid widescreen bars??

I've had the TV since last fall, and I still notice IR from TV / DVR menus. It does not get better over time. With that said, I don't have any perm. burn in, and I'm still pretty careful / paranoid about never sitting on a menu for long, and stretching 4:3 to avoid bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndempster View Post

Hi Guys,
3. Picture mode/calibration: on standard mode some of the black scenes on my HD content seem "blotchy", on THX it's perfect but the overall picture seems a bit too yellow or warm - any way to sort this out with some decent settings?

If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, what you're seeing is the poor black levels commonly associated with this set. You loose detail when you tune things to make the blacks darker, the only way to see detail in dark scenes is to have the blacks lighter. I knew that coming in, and I have to say it is still a lot better than my 1st gen 1080p LCD. There are folks in this thread that have adjusted some internal pots on the TV to improve this, but that is a warranty voiding operation. If you're interested, you can page back in this thread & find some great links.

Drew
post #1005 of 1122 Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 PM

Hi all-
got my 60pz950 and am pretty happy with it, but has anyone else noticed that the active shutter glasses are 'discontinued' according to LG's website? Seems strange that they stop supporting very recent TV's (or at least stop making accessories).
Also, does anyone else notice that especially bright pictures/scenes seem to have quite a bit of flicker, especially when viewed peripherally? I know that plasmas have some flicker, but it seems pretty pronounced with this one.
post #1006 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg8tr View Post

Hi all-
got my 60pz950 and am pretty happy with it, but has anyone else noticed that the active shutter glasses are 'discontinued' according to LG's website? Seems strange that they stop supporting very recent TV's (or at least stop making accessories).

This is very disconcerting. I have yet to purchase my glasses but I'm planning to buy 4-6 pairs. Should I reconsider...???

post #1007 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Don't know the answer to that, txstyle...I do like the TV and $1099 for a 60 inch, full 1080p plasma with wifi and 3D, is an amazing deal...regardless of some shortcomings (cnet says the black levels aren't as deep as the competition...frankly I don't see it, picture seems great compared to my old Sony LCD, as well as much of the competition I saw at BestBuy, and Frys...)

I'm not a huge fan of the flicker issue I mentioned earlier, but I used to be an LCD guy, so I simply didn't know that about Plasmas. Now that I researched the issue, I went back to Target, Best Buy etc, and I can tell that all plasmas flicker to some degree when displaying very bright pictures..especially when I look from the side.
All in all, I still prefer the Plasma picture even to expensive LED LCD's.. it just seems smoother and more natural over all. LCD/LEDs often seem to just scream at you in a gaudy, 'look at my crazy colors/contrast' sort of way:-) if that makes any sense.

As far as the glasses go, there are plenty of sources to get them from online vendors and ebay still..just seems strange that LG has apparently stopped making them.

Just my 2c
post #1008 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM

^^ Great reply. And believe me... I am absolutely thrilled with my set! And I didn't plan tio purchase the glasses from the overpriced LG website.

post #1009 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A question for 950 owners. I picked up a 60 pv450 a few weeks back. Coming from a 4 year old DLP I love the plasma pic, but the reflective screen is really distracting. Does the 950 have the screen? any other differences that would make it wortwhile to return the 450 and buy a 950?
Thanks for any info,

Howard
post #1010 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post

A question for 950 owners. I picked up a 60 pv450 a few weeks back. Coming from a 4 year old DLP I love the plasma pic, but the reflective screen is really distracting. Does the 950 have the screen? any other differences that would make it wortwhile to return the 450 and buy a 950?
Thanks for any info,

Howard

I have my pz 950 in a relatively bright room during the day and I was worried initially about this. But I have been hugely impressed with the lack of reflection. You just may need to do that exchange.

post #1011 of 1122 Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Where are people getting the 3d glasses(ag-s250)?? Lg seems to screw you when they come out with new ones every year that dont work for previous year not to mention the 2012 ones are way cheaper. I read they dont make the s250 anymore- is that correct? I have tv but no glasses, guess I better get some soon. Only regret with buying this tv.
post #1012 of 1122 Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Ebay is the easiest place to find them but it can be tricky making sure you get ones with the right firmware. Though, if you get one with v .63 you can usually get LG to send you a replacement for free.

I have two glasses and should be getting two more from LG, but after about 2 weeks, I'm bored of 3d and doubt i'll really ever use it again.
post #1013 of 1122 Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM

I got my glasses from onecall.com .. I found them on amazon.. They were great and have excellent customer service .. I called to place my order to get a human confirmation that these were the .64 firmware... They will ship same day if you order early enough which is great !

Oh yeah - their regular shipping is free btw ...
post #1014 of 1122 Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM

I've had a 60PZ950 since Aug 2011, and have had good luck with it. I just upgraded my DVD player to 3D, and have a pair of AG-S250 glasses.

When I watch any 3D movie, and I'm watching through the glasses, I'm getting a lot of green shadow-like images around the edges of the image, and it doesn't look very 3D to me.

I also tried watching something from the LG app 3D world as a test, and I got the same results, so I don't think it is a DVD/cable issue at all.

It really is unwatchable this way.

Has anybody come across this before? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.
post #1015 of 1122 Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Did you register the glasses with the tv first? If you did, did you try turning them off and back on again?

post #1016 of 1122 Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

for those of you who are looking for the AG-S250 glasses, I have 4 of them I'm looking to unload. PM me if you're interested
post #1017 of 1122 Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

for those of you who are looking for the AG-S250 glasses, I have 4 of them I'm looking to unload. PM me if you're interested

PM sent...

post #1018 of 1122 Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 PM

I have just under 2500 hrs on my 60PZ950 and still a little paranoid about burn-in, even though always on orbiter and none as of yet. I am a big sports/game watcher and curious to know if anyone has burn-in from those banners on bottom of the sports channels?
I don't leave on all day, just usually a game a day (baseball and basketball GO KNICKS!!)
post #1019 of 1122 Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

I have just under 2500 hrs on my 60PZ950 and still a little paranoid about burn-in, even though always on orbiter and none as of yet. I am a big sports/game watcher and curious to know if anyone has burn-in from those banners on bottom of the sports channels?
I don't leave on all day, just usually a game a day (baseball and basketball GO KNICKS!!)

About 2 weeks ago I turned mine on and I didn't have a signal so the screen was blank before the pop-up window came on. I was standing a little closer and at an angle I normally don't view from and noticed significant burn-in from sports tickers. It took 30 minutes of color wash and 30 min of white wash to get rid of it. I have a little over 2100 hrs on my set. Since then I have gotten in the habit now of washing the screen for about 10 mins a day.
post #1020 of 1122 Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

About 2 weeks ago I turned mine on and I didn't have a signal so the screen was blank before the pop-up window came on. I was standing a little closer and at an angle I normally don't view from and noticed significant burn-in from sports tickers. It took 30 minutes of color wash and 30 min of white wash to get rid of it. I have a little over 2100 hrs on my set. Since then I have gotten in the habit now of washing the screen for about 10 mins a day.

Thanks for your reply th3third. Glad to hear u were able to resolve. I've never run white or color wash for more than 5 minutes at a time. I might have very little from a program guide that stood on a little too long by accident and will try that your method of leaving longer.

As far as 10 mins a day, I read somewhere that white wash can shorten lifespan somewhat, don't know if true or not. Might be best to do if did have some burn-in or per case basis and always leave on Orbiter.

Good news is I haven't heard or seen on this thread any complaints of perm burn-in on this tv. Those banners are a threat I'm sure and don't want to fall victim!!

Peace
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page