Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1122 Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone noticed that when you go from 3D back to regular viewing that the ism mode will change from orbiter to normal ? - you have to change it back manually ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1122 Old 04-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One thing has bugged me about the set... The puny speakers are easily distorted. And now crackle
Yes I have a nice HT setup but I'd like to use just the tv speakers more often.

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #1023 of 1122 Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

As far as 10 mins a day, I read somewhere that white wash can shorten lifespan somewhat, don't know if true or not. Might be best to do if did have some burn-in or per case basis and always leave on Orbiter.

I don't think the Orbiter really does anything in this scenario. If you have a ticker that is about 80-100 pixels at the bottom of the screen, rotating the image an amount that is not distracting to the viewer will only reduce screen burn by a few pixels. If I am not watching a game, but Sportscenter or SkySports News on FSC, I will zoom in and move the the ticker off screen. Last week I watched 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory back-to-back and then turned the TV off for the night. When I turned it on the next day there was the CBS eye logo burned in. That logo is translucent and goes off during commercials. Thoroughly disappointed. I have the brightness set to 52 and contrast at 80. As for shortening the lifespan, I don't really care.
post #1024 of 1122 Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3third View Post

I don't think the Orbiter really does anything in this scenario. If you have a ticker that is about 80-100 pixels at the bottom of the screen, rotating the image an amount that is not distracting to the viewer will only reduce screen burn by a few pixels. If I am not watching a game, but Sportscenter or SkySports News on FSC, I will zoom in and move the the ticker off screen. Last week I watched 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory back-to-back and then turned the TV off for the night. When I turned it on the next day there was the CBS eye logo burned in. That logo is translucent and goes off during commercials. Thoroughly disappointed. I have the brightness set to 52 and contrast at 80. As for shortening the lifespan, I don't really care.

Good point. I think will zoom as well. Wonder if that burn-issue will ever go away with plasmas!? Or, maybe those banners and Logos should...doubt it
post #1025 of 1122 Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

One thing has bugged me about the set... The puny speakers are easily distorted. And now crackle

Anyone else....

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #1026 of 1122 Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Yea, they are pretty puny though thankfully mine haven't developed a crackle yet. Realistically, they aren't any worse than other TVs. They all have pretty crappy speakers, regardless of price. I work for best buy magnolia and even the highest priced TV have bad speakers, sometimes they're the worst because they are trying to be so thin.

I'm waiting on some new def tech speakers I ordered about three months ago and they can't get here soon enough...
post #1027 of 1122 Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I've had the crackling while changing channels, not during programming watching. Then it went away. It started after I did pots tweak and thought I ruined...but hasn't come back. Knock on wood.

Maybe something is cranked too high on the voltage side if u did pots tweak and may need to revisit. Just a wild guess.
post #1028 of 1122 Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Liked: 12
Pz950, Hd programming, Nba playoffs , = entertainment bliss ! !
post #1029 of 1122 Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Why?! They suck!
post #1030 of 1122 Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM

Hi plasma pals,

I thought I'd share some pics for the purpose of showing my 60PZ950 with some ambient lighting which look really nice and easier on eyes without having to leave any lights on in house. I purchased 1 pack 12' rope lights in Walmart for under 16 bucks and thought I'd give it a shot for a fight night for a family/friends get together this past weekend and worked out much better than I expected with some compliments to boot (wifey most importantly). I used some heavy duty Velcro strips and Velcro tie wraps I had laying around house which worked out perfectly! Sorry I forgot where I purchased but I'm sure can find in lots of places. Lights do not get hot even after many hours of tv watching. I have plugged in to back of my receiver so don't have to get up to plug and unplug. I kept off vents on top of set where can get hot as u can see, but only turn them on when watching family movie or event and not while watching regular tv. A must for GAME OF THRONES!!

I'm sure there are plenty of better ways with better results and cleaner set up but I'd thought I'd put it out there for those that wanna try. Save receipt if not happy!
Hope u like.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #1031 of 1122 Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Thanks to Bhazard for the photo explanation.

And here's another page from the tech manual.
[IMG]Pagesfrom50PZ950-3D-Presentation.jpg[/IMG]

PZ950 tech manual
50PZ950-3D-Presentation.pdf

Any chance someone still has this Tech Manual available out there?
BTW, I just bought my 60PZ950 and just want to have all documentation I could find in place. While I'm waiting it to get to my home, I have couple of days to read what's best to be done (information on this forum is really helpful).

Thanks!
post #1032 of 1122 Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM

Has anyone had a message to format their hard drive for dvr functionality when they plug in an external HD. Its never happened before but it did happen recently. Couldn't try it as I needed the files on the drive. Won't do it now. I thought it wasnt enabled in the UK

LG 50PZ950T | Panasonic DMP-BD55 | Marantz SR-6006 | Mission M35i Floorstanders | B&W HTM2 Centre | Mission 77DS Rears | B&W DS6 THX Rears | Paradigm PS-1000 Sub | PS3 Slim 320GB |
post #1033 of 1122 Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by coelhonet View Post

Any chance someone still has this Tech Manual available out there?
BTW, I just bought my 60PZ950 and just want to have all documentation I could find in place. While I'm waiting it to get to my home, I have couple of days to read what's best to be done (information on this forum is really helpful).

Thanks!

Hi Coel PM sent

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1034 of 1122 Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaigt View Post

Got new firmware version 04.03.02 on the 11th of April. Can't find any info on it anywhere. LG site still has 04.02.30 on it. Would be nice of them to inform their customers of changes.

The latest firmware file for upgrade

[What's new?]
Improve delay time when enter the home menu.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LW6500
post #1035 of 1122 Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batista11b5 View Post

The latest firmware file for upgrade

[What's new?]
Improve delay time when enter the home menu.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LW6500

Thanks. I wondered myself.
post #1036 of 1122 Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Gents, I have a thread elsewhere...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1411598

Please check it out and respond there if you can. This is what I wrote...

My LG 60" 60PZ950 is not giving me a lovely picture. What I am seeing is a green show like noise that infects dark area of the picture. Complete black areas, such as the space shots in STAR WARS are fine. But slightly less than black and it's nasty noisy.

This is an exaggeration due to the Canon DSLR not being able to capture it properly, but it will give you an idea of what I am seeing.

When pausing a BluRay or DVR playback, that green noise is not frozen. It kind of shimmers. With content that has little darkness my picture looks almost fine. If I get close to the set I can see there is some noise. At normal viewing distance it is not something one can detect.

But the darker areas look like garbage. The noise is less noticeable if I put the set into the game or bright room modes, but that makes the picture look like hell due to over sharpness and torch mode contrast and brightness.

Here is another shot. Note that the 2.35:1 black bar at top is not affected by the noise. In fact, the noise does not quite reach the edge of where the black bar is.

Again, this shot is overly bright and not accurately representing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? This happens on all HDMI inputs and the component input and switching cables hasn't solved any issues. It also happens with or without the Pioneer Receiver I own being in the chain.

This is an old house so is there any possibility the electrical sockets could cause this? I have the TV plugged into a pretty darned nice Monster Power bar and not one of their entry level products.

I am stumped, frustrated and in need of help on this one. Most likely I will call LG for assistance, but I wanted to check here first.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1037 of 1122 Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 20
looks like a problem with the pots. I've managed to do both of those things to my picture by over adjusting the pots, the weird shaped black border being the one that stands out, so perhaps yours were right on the edge of their acceptable limits and age has pushed them over.
post #1038 of 1122 Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The set is less than two months old so... What's weird is how the noise will go almost to the edge of the screen, but not quite. So the picture around the borders is perfect. You can see how it supposed to look, but it doesn't because that noise infects 98% of the viewable picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1039 of 1122 Old 05-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

First of all....

Where can I get a picture or diagram of inside rear of set? I am thinking about doing the pots thing.

Second...

This is a long story so I will sum it up and spare the gory details...

LG service technician arrived. He was a Korean guy who, upon seeing the picture of myself and my Asian wife, frowned, giving me the kind of a look some racist Asian men have given me in the past. Nice.

He then looked at my TV for three seconds and said, "Nothing wrong with TV."

In the end, he called LG, proceeded to say I was uncooperative and at that point I realized he was a complete tool and politely thanked him for coming, but asked him to leave.

He refused.

I nicely, but firmly asked him to leave. He refused.

I demanded he leaved. He refused.

People, I was forced to call the police to get the lunatic out of my house.

Needless to say, I was infuriated by the experience. Hopefully the company LG will use for Friday's appointment will be better.

post #1040 of 1122 Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

You can see how it supposed to look, but it doesn't because that noise infects 98% of the viewable picture.

No. The 2% of the picture area is lacking all shades near black, that's why there is absence of noise, but it's not as it's opposed to look.
post #1041 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The set is less than two months old so... What's weird is how the noise will go almost to the edge of the screen, but not quite. So the picture around the borders is perfect. You can see how it supposed to look, but it doesn't because that noise infects 98% of the viewable picture.

Hi Matt

The dithering you've shown in your post are par for the course with LG although I've clearly it seen on the Panasonics also.
Originally I assumed it was the video transfer but just to quote Turrican
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

No, unfortunately it is not the fault of the transfers. Believe me, I am able to distingush problems of a transfer from faults of my TV.

And it is of course calibrated. The ugly PWM-noise near black is a given with LG. The size of each individual pwm-noise-flake cannot be changed through calibration. On top of that the driving scheme is very different from the scheme, Panasonic uses.

46" is the minum size for 1.79 metres to see all Fulll HD details. There is nothing wrong with getting closer to the screen unless the screen have faults. It would be a joke, if one couldn't use 1080p to watch his movies on a really big screen that fills his viewing sight more than fully out.

As you can see, the so called flagship PZ950S has the same weak near black performance as all the sets from last year - doesn't matter, how much money you're willing to spend for plasma as long as it is from LG.

You can also see very clear, that the bars get shorter in length the darker the shade of gry to display is!

This is a bug and LG did nothing about it!

I also see this on my PX950, but only close up, from my viewing distance it's a non issue, tweaking the pots will not alleviate the situation.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1042 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow. This sucks. And yeah, that is exactly what I am seeing. I can see it from ten feet away. It's maddeningly distracting.

post #1043 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Matt

Just your luck you've got excellent eye sight, you've been on these forums much longer than I and have amassed over 13000 posts so not too sure if this your first plasma, but it's the way plasmas produce black, there are no grey pixels just red, green and blue so to produce any shades of grey from light to dark it will always have dithering of different intensities of RGB.
As Turrican mentioned it appears to be clumpier on the LGs although I've seen similar as I mentioned on the 2011 Panasonics, do a search on these forums and there are hordes of posts with regards to all models and makes, it's as I've said an off shoot of plasma technology, yours appears to be quite uniform.
If you have an overall green tint from your viewing distance then a calibration is in order, but if you do get more or less neutral grey your PZ950 is probably normal.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1044 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Green green green. Lots of green. Only green.

This IS my first plasma. I had CRT's until now.

post #1045 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Green appears to the human eye brighter than blue. And blue appears brighter than red and this fact make the cornflakes of the LG driving method so disturbing AND the space between each cornflake is much greater than with the Panasonics, especially with UT50, ST50, GT50 and VT50 with threir improved greyscaleperformance.

Unfortunately over here in Germany we have to decide between awesome black level (THX Cinema) or the additional shades with the finer noise (Professional Mode).
post #1046 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Green green green. Lots of green. Only green.

This IS my first plasma. I had CRT's until now.

Hi Matt

Disregarding the PM noise LGs are pretty good when it comes to neutral grey without any apparent overall tint to the picture like I find with most Panasionics, being slightly green with ruddy complextions, the 2011/12s Pannys fare better but unless they're professionally calibrated still look slightly off to me.
Which settings are you using, THX, Expert?, it may be just a matter of adjusting the tint control using a calibration disc with the blue filter control in the advanced settings.
You can access the THX settings by entering "8741" when it is high-lit in the menu, picture mode, this also sets/locks your day/night calibrations.
Also what is your source and are you using an AV receiver?

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1047 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have any ideas? This happens on all HDMI inputs and the component input and switching cables hasn't solved any issues. It also happens with or without the Pioneer Receiver I own being in the chain.

This is an old house so is there any possibility the electrical sockets could cause this? I have the TV plugged into a pretty darned nice Monster Power bar and not one of their entry level products.

I am stumped, frustrated and in need of help on this one. Most likely I will call LG for assistance, but I wanted to check here first.

Hi Matt

Found your answer.
Was the set new or a floor model?

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1048 of 1122 Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 PM

Hi, I just bought 50PZ950W and it's my first plasma tv. Is there any other way to connect speakers besides optical output?
post #1049 of 1122 Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturulin View Post

Hi, I just bought 50PZ950W and it's my first plasma tv. Is there any other way to connect speakers besides optical output?

If you're connecting to a stereo analogue receiver or pre-amp you will need a Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter, I've been using a "Gefen TV" and they run about $60.00 for the basic or GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder (Dolby) for $80

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #1050 of 1122 Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi Matt
Disregarding the PM noise LGs are pretty good when it comes to neutral grey without any apparent overall tint to the picture like I find with most Panasionics, being slightly green with ruddy complextions, the 2011/12s Pannys fare better but unless they're professionally calibrated still look slightly off to me.
Which settings are you using, THX, Expert?, it may be just a matter of adjusting the tint control using a calibration disc with the blue filter control in the advanced settings.
You can access the THX settings by entering "8741" when it is high-lit in the menu, picture mode, this also sets/locks your day/night calibrations.
Also what is your source and are you using an AV receiver?

Rob,this is a brand new set, less than 2 months old. I see it with all inputs from all sources. Today a technician arrived who looked at it and immediately said,' Wow, this is dithering on steroids.'

I can see it on all settings, other than one of the torch modes (I think Sport or maybe Vivid) where the set is all washed out.

The technician will come back next week to attempt a calibration. Hopefully he knows what he is doing.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page