Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1121 Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a new firmware yesterday! The LG apps are working now including login. It seems that most of my mkvs do play now with sound (still not all)
and from within dlna or usb I can use the 3D button (i need to test if it works from inside the plex client)

and your amplifier should have an arc option inside..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1121 Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone using their LG with a computer? I wish to know whether this new PZ950 supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling to achieve pixel-perfect picture. To determine whether it displays 4:4:4 you must first set corresponding pixel format in display driver application (try 4:4:4 Full RGB or 4:4:4 YCbCr) and then browse two test pictures at native resolution. Explanations here: forums dot amd dot com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260p;threadid=145310
post #93 of 1121 Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM

So Best Buy delivers my new LG 60PZ950 today.

I connect it via an HDMI cable and turned it on.....no sound.

I also notice a stuck/dead pixel in the upper right corner of the screen (see attached photo).

It's really noticeable against white.

The thing is, the box was opened when it was delivered...I'm thinking this was a previously returned item. I put a call into Best Buy, we'll see how they handle this. The manager had to make a few calls and get back with me. I may just return it to the store tomorrow and get a refund. The store does not stock them so I can't just swap it for another one....so frustrating.

G
post #94 of 1121 Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Received my 60pz950 yesterday from amazon. It's gorgeous. Currently running burn in slides. Can't wait for the 100 hr to be done.

Any experience or advice on the wall mount for this tv?? =)
post #95 of 1121 Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by George B View Post

So Best Buy delivers my new LG 60PZ950 today.

I connect it via an HDMI cable and turned it on.....no sound.

I also notice a stuck/dead pixel in the upper right corner of the screen (see attached photo).

It's really noticeable against white.

The thing is, the box was opened when it was delivered...I'm thinking this was a previously returned item. I put a call into Best Buy, we'll see how they handle this. The manager had to make a few calls and get back with me. I may just return it to the store tomorrow and get a refund. The store does not stock them so I can't just swap it for another one....so frustrating.

G

Push into the pixel with a pencil eraser. It doesn't look dead, so there may be a chance to "unstick" it.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Component cables?

Oh and never buy a tv from Best Buy. Never buy anything from Best Buy unless you absolutely have no other choice.
post #96 of 1121 Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

My tv shipped from Amazon. Should be here early next week.

Anyone looking to buy a new LG Blu-ray player?
post #97 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Push into the pixel with a pencil eraser. It doesn't look dead, so there may be a chance to "unstick" it.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Component cables?

Oh and never buy a tv from Best Buy. Never buy anything from Best Buy unless you absolutely have no other choice.

Pushing on the screen won't do anything since it's hard glass, there's no give.

The HDMI cable is brand new, I only have the one. I discovered that HDMI port #1 is the bad one, 2,3,and 4 have audio.

The TV also reports "no signal" when I plug the coaxial cable into "Cable In" and choose that input in the setup menu.

*Update:
This morning Best Buy Home Delivery called me first thing to inform me that they will be delivering a replacement TV on Monday. They could not fit me in today (Saturday). Not bad (thanks Best Buy), it'll save me from driving back to the store with it. I'll let you guys know how the replacement unit works.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
post #98 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:

My tv shipped from Amazon. Should be here early next week.

Anyone looking to buy a new LG Blu-ray player?

I am, what model is it?
post #99 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 AM

I've had my 60PZ950 for 5 weeks now and I could not be happier with my purchase! I had my sights all set on the 60LW9500 but the delays and uncertainty surrounding that set led me to look elsewhere and given the THX certification, positive reviews of last years PX series, and the beautiful design, I decided to give plasma a try. I am so glad I did as this thing has an AMAZING picture! Blacks are very solid and it can pull of brights that almost hurt my eyes. I have gamed at least 30 hrs on my XBOX 360 and games just look amazing. There is no lag and I actually think I game better on this TV compared to my previous 40" Sony XBR (racing games feel like you're inside a full size car!). I use DirecTV HD (and 3D) and the picture quality is addictive to say the least. I watch probably 5 or 6 movies a week average and the PZ in addition to my Pioneer receiver and Polk RM surrounds makes for one very happy movie buff. I also want to note that if you have DirecTV, the remote programs nicely to the tv and enables you to do almost all main functions as well as integrating with the DNLA and allowing you to view pics and videos from your computer. I think the PZ series could definately be a contender for the best value in screen real estate and picture quality for 2011!
post #100 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM

I have one (60PZ950) I am selling with only 1 week of watch time on it. Anyone interested?
post #101 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 AM

I have 60pz750w and input lag is huge, I can't play any games! How did you set up your system to achieve so low input lag. Game mode doesn't help at all...
post #102 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi everyone

@ Horrocks

How much do you want for your 60PZ950?

And what is your primary reason for selling after such little use?

To everybody else:

I only ask as i am looking to purchase a PZ950 (probably 50inch due to space restrictions) after returning a Panasonic 50GT30 which was, for all the hype an awful TV - It had a Beautiful static picture, but as soon as motion or panning was involved the picture fell apart.....especially on Sky HD, Console Games and even 24p Blu ray movies....Fluctuating brightness was also an unwelcome distraction.

Anyhow thats brought me to the LG which by all accounts has pretty poor blacks, but if thats as bad as it gets it seems like a welcome compromise on account of all the flaws i experienced at the hands of the GT30.

Can any of you owners out there give me a 'warts and all' breakdown of your experiences with the PZ950 range?

Theres so little information out there on these units.....The Flatpanels HD review is the only official review out there, and there seems to be very little user opinion on this unit to help guide me either way.

Im by no means an AV expert, and i appreciate that no TV is perfect, but im definitly a video enthusiast and more than just a casual viewer, thus the GT30 found itself going back becuase the issues i was having with it made for unhappy viewing.

Thanks in advance to anybody out there who wouldnt mind chiming in.

Kind Regards

Smpearce22
post #103 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George B View Post

I am, what model is it?

BD650 Brand new in box. Got it from the Amazon promotion but have no use for it.

Its actually on ebay right now if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
post #104 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpearce22 View Post

Hi everyone

@ Horrocks

To everybody else:

I only ask as i am looking to purchase a PZ950 (probably 50inch due to space restrictions) after returning a Panasonic 50GT30 which was, for all the hype an awful TV - It had a Beautiful static picture, but as soon as motion or panning was involved the picture fell apart.....especially on Sky HD, Console Games and even 24p Blu ray movies....Fluctuating brightness was also an unwelcome distraction.

Anyhow thats brought me to the LG which by all accounts has pretty poor blacks, but if thats as bad as it gets it seems like a welcome compromise on account of all the flaws i experienced at the hands of the GT30.

Can any of you owners out there give me a 'warts and all' breakdown of your experiences with the PZ950 range?

Theres so little information out there on these units.....The Flatpanels HD review is the only official review out there, and there seems to be very little user opinion on this unit to help guide me either way.

Im by no means an AV expert, and i appreciate that no TV is perfect, but im definitly a video enthusiast and more than just a casual viewer, thus the GT30 found itself going back becuase the issues i was having with it made for unhappy viewing.

Kind Regards

Smpearce22

I've owned the PX950 for months, and am getting the PZ950 this week. You'll be compromising one issue for another. The LG will have the overall better picture, but black levels are noticeably worse than the GT30. 3D isn't as good as Panny's either. Panning and blu-ray motion should look just fine, no fluctuating brightness issues. If it had Panasonic's black levels, it would be the #1 Plasma tv IMO.
post #105 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks Bhazard

Regarding black levels:

In REAL terms how much worse is the PZ950? i was new to plasma prior to my GT30 experience, and yes the blacks were very nice ESPECIALLY as my only point of reference was/is my 3 year old Sony 'W' series LCD (calibrated with backlight set to '0')

But does the PZ950 go as far as to dissapoint on account of its blacks? ie is it a deal breaker that compromises its overall picture quality in a dark room?

I guess what im asking is does it actually have good blacks for its class but just not as good as the Panasonics, or does it just have poor blacks overall?

Cheers for your input thus far.
post #106 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Bhazard

Regarding black levels:

In REAL terms how much worse is the PZ950? i was new to plasma prior to my GT30 experience, and yes the blacks were very nice ESPECIALLY as my only point of reference was/is my 3 year old Sony 'W' series LCD (calibrated with backlight set to '0')

But does the PZ950 go as far as to dissapoint on account of its blacks? ie is it a deal breaker that compromises its overall picture quality in a dark room?

I guess what im asking is does it actually have good blacks for its class but just not as good as the Panasonics, or does it just have poor blacks overall?

They are pretty good, but not great. During dark movie scenes you will notice a difference (slight but still noticeable) black level wise. Fluctuating brightness is probably much worse to have than an overall higher black level though. The levels are something like 0.04 for the GT30 and 0.09 for the PZ950.
post #107 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Voz

Quote:

I only ask as i am looking to purchase a PZ950 (probably 50inch due to space restrictions) after returning a Panasonic 50GT30 which was, for all the hype an awful TV - It had a Beautiful static picture, but as soon as motion or panning was involved the picture fell apart.....especially on Sky HD, Console Games and even 24p Blu ray movies....

Yeah, I feel the same about my G20. I also live in a "50Hz country" and when I watch sports the motion issues become clear. My older Panasonic plasma actually handled it better. So, I'm eager to hear what you find out about the PZ950. No shops around here have it, so unfortunately I can't check it out for myself.
post #108 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

BD650 Brand new in box. Got it from the Amazon promotion but have no use for it.

Its actually on ebay right now if you're interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Thanks bhazard, but was hoping you had the BD690.
post #109 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone

@ Horrocks

To everybody else:

Kind Regards

Smpearce22

For the like new 60PZ950, I am asking $1799 or best offer. The reason I am selling it is that I discovered that I am not a plasma guy. I had owned many LCD sets and apparently was used to the LCD look. This plasma is in excellent condition and I have all the remotes, manuals and packaging.
post #110 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeans View Post

The Amazon deal is still going on. I had purchased the TV through Amazon earlier this morning (but didn't see the deal). After I came hear and found out about it...I quickly cancelled the order and redid it, but this time got the "free" 3D glasses, and the Blu-Ray player. Thanks guys!

Hey all, I can't find the deal. This is all I get

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-60P...8435390&sr=8-1

Is there another link? Thanks!
post #111 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Let me just say I am so pleased to see this thread come back alive. As a soon to be purchaser with the PZ950, GT30 and LW5600 (I know it's LCD/LED but something about passive 3D is intriguing, and yes I know the pros and cons) in my top three I hope to see more feedback on the black levels of the PZ950 as outside of that and the apparent shutting off of the glasses occasionally it really seems to take the cake.

More feedback from owners!

Mosdmc
post #112 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Hey all, I can't find the deal. This is all I get

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-60P...8435390&sr=8-1

Is there another link? Thanks!

Its right on that page under "3d bundle deal". The seller has to be Amazon and not Onecall or anyone else.
post #113 of 1121 Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Thanks! Found it
post #114 of 1121 Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post

I have 60pz750w and input lag is huge, I can't play any games! How did you set up your system to achieve so low input lag. Game mode doesn't help at all...

I don't think I have anything special in my setup, a Monster Game HDMI to HDMI input 2 on the set and I use an optical back to my receiver. I think the 750 and 950 should be pretty much the same internally so that shouldn't make a difference. The FlatPanelsHD review gave the 950 good marks in terms of lag (or lack thereof) so I hope you can figure it out! I will say that on FPS games like Halo: Reach, it took me a little while to get used to the increase in scale going from a 40" to the 60" because of the increased angle of movement when you go from side to side but within an hour or so, I was pretty much used to it. Good luck!
post #115 of 1121 Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM

@ smpearce22

I've had my 50pz950 for about 3 months, and overall it's pretty solid. I don't have any issues with black level, and all the other features and performance are pretty solid. My main concern (and what prompted me to search for a new tv) is the image brightness. I prefer a brighter image and usually have lights on while watching the tv. I have tried the calibrated settings on flatpanelshd, and like a previous poster, did not like the results, primarily how dark the image was. I can adjust the brightness, gamma, and black level, but it washes out the blacks and colors, so no good there either. I did end up buying a LG 55lv5500 (not a huge fan of 3D), but there was terrible flashlighting and clouding from the edge lit backlighting, and I am in the process of returning it. I may end up going for a full array with local dimming, like the new sony xbr-55hx929 or maybe the older LG 55le8500.

All that being said, the pz950 is awesome when watching bluray at night with minimal lighting, but that is not the norm for my viewing habits. Also, as an aside, I don't play any type of games on it, so no opinion from a gaming perspective. Once I get the new tv, i'll be posting my 50pz950 on the classifieds page here on this site.
post #116 of 1121 Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:

The only time the black level will be noticeable is during dark scenes in a movie. Watching a tv show or a baseball game for instance will look just as good, as the LG has great color reproduction.

The LG is also one of the fastest tvs this year, and has little gaming lag compared to last years model (I owned the PX950).

I didn't have a very good 3d experience with my PX950. The glasses do seem to lose sync every so often.

I'll give a better review once my PZ950 arrives from Amazon.

The 3d is amazing, I've had no issues with the glasses, you just have to remember to move your head every 10 minutes or so. You don't have to move much though.
Honestly, I can not tell the difference with the blacks; however, it's way better then my LCD. This is a fantastic TV for the money, you won't be disappointed.
post #117 of 1121 Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Liked: 11
Hi, Folks, I bought the 60PZ950 a few days ago, and just noticed the towards the upper right-hand side of the power cord in the back, behind the mesh-type area there is a small green blinking light. Is that normal? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
post #118 of 1121 Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Anyone have any issues with dithering in dark screens (small green dots)? I'm thinking it's mostly due to the signal, but even when I bring up Vudu there is a small amount of dithering. Just wondering if anyone is getting the same?
post #119 of 1121 Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 AM

My replacement TV arrived first thing this morning. HDMI ports work as well as the cable in now receives a signal. The other was defective for sure.

Looking at the screen on this one I notice a black speck behind the glass, it doesn't appear to be a stuck pixel as it's irregular in shape. It's bigger then a pixel.

I'm loosing hope with these LG tv's.

A close-up view
post #120 of 1121 Old 06-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks Bhazard

Regarding black levels:

What I dislike on LG plasmas is their ugly and clumpy PWM-noise near black (Panasonic's are at the factor eight finer and the LG's sparks are clearly divided into red, green and blue). Also, the darkest shades of gray do not reach the edges of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman35 View Post

Anyone have any issues with dithering in dark screens (small green dots)? I'm thinking it's mostly due to the signal, but even when I bring up Vudu there is a small amount of dithering. Just wondering if anyone is getting the same?

That is the ugly noise near black, that I was talking about.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page