post #151 of 1122 Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by George B View Post

How would ISF calibration improve what I'm seeing in THX Cinema mode and why would I do it?

My background is in commercial/advertising photography where correct color representation is essential. What I'm seeing in THX Cinema is very realistic, specifically in the skin tone nuances.

I'm not dismissing calibration for some TV's, but how can ISF calibration improve upon what we are seeing in THX Cinema mode on the LG xxPZ950?

Hi George

Within this hobby sometimes the only way to assess product development is in comparison to the previous model or the competition.
I agree with you on the THX setting though, as on some sets is pretty well spot on, I also have a background in commercial/advertising photography and have always been impressed with LGs overall picture quality with their plasmas.
I tried a couple of the published settings on my PX950 but using a calibration disc there was obvious tinting throughout the gray scale, Bhazards being too yellow, the THX setting has the least on my set and I’ll try tweaking it a bit once the set settles in.
But again, Bhazrds observations with the PX and PZ can be informative as both sets are still available for sale in some regions and may help with a purchasing decision.
BTW my PX950 has no DSE

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

https://myspace.com/151752802/videos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1122 Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post

What I dislike on LG plasmas is their ugly and clumpy PWM-noise near black (Panasonic's are at the factor eight finer and the LG's sparks are clearly divided into red, green and blue). Also, the darkest shades of gray do not reach the edges of the screen.

That is the ugly noise near black, that I was talking about.

I know exactly what you're referring to. The blue dithering noise in the black areas was very apparent on my 60PK750 while anywhere close to the TV.

I have not noticed the dithering whatsoever on my 60PZ950. The pixel layout looks different, and the dithering is completely gone.
post #153 of 1122 Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Forgot to post it. Here it is.

I'm really new to all of this and I was wondering do I just follow changes in your document or do I need a special cd or something for calibration?

Thanks
post #154 of 1122 Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Noob question but how do I calibrate my tv?
post #155 of 1122 Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Noob way is to use the picture wizard in the setup menu under Picture. Other than a professional calibration, that will give you your best picture IMO.
post #156 of 1122 Old 06-25-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm going to give the tv the "Call of Duty" test tonight. It will show line bleed in a certain menu, which I can compare to my previous set. It will also show me how fast the tv is and how much lag there is from the picture processing.
post #157 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 AM

I have had my 60PZ950 for about 2 1/2 weeks and I must say that I am very happy with it. It is in a room that is brightly lit and performs "ok" when the shades are up (which is to be expected). Close the plantation shutters and it goes from ok to great. When it arrived, the outer box was a bit tattered but the set itself was fine. No stuck pixels, no crud behind the glass, no hum like one of my Sammy's, draws less power than my Toshiba 56HMX195 DLP did, and isn't a room heater like my old Vizio P42... It replaced a calibrated Vizio XVT553SV which does have a brighter, detailed, and more vivid display. However, the LG's display image is definitely more life like and the colors are more realistic. I am using the THX settings which are pretty good for a "stock" setting. I have another 100 hours or so before I pass the 250 hour break in it period. It will be interesting to see what a calibration will do for this set.

Let's see What else? The Vizio Apps section blows the LG Apps out of the water and I hope this is something LG is planning to address. Netflix, YouTube, and Plex all work fine. But the Vizio had at least 3x the amount of apps. Also, the Vizio apps were mostly useful (unlike the mostly useless apps that LG has). The Vizio apps were also much more polished than the LG's apps. I especially miss my TuneIn Radio app and the Facebook app on the LG is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! The wand remote is pretty cool, but I like the slide out keyboard on the Vizio's BT remote as it made entering information much more easy.

I have the LG hooked up to a HTPC. When compared, the Vizio also excelled in this area having the most crisp and detailed image I have yet to encounter on a HDTV. Don't get me wrong, the LG's output is ok and I can read and select files in a windows explorer screen from 12 feet away without having to increase font sizes. I am sure that the additional 5 also makes a difference. Bluray, .mkv file, and DVD displayed on the LG is great and I am satisfied with its performance so far.

I have not encountered any burn in or image retention. All in all, I am a very satisfied customer. Keep updating the app section and I'll be even happier. =)
post #158 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM
MXM

Hi guys!!

Are you impressed the black level?

Thanks
post #159 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift King View Post

I have had my 60PZ950 for about 2 1/2 weeks and I must say that I am very happy with it. It is in a room that is brightly lit and performs "ok" when the shades are up (which is to be expected). Close the plantation shutters and it goes from ok to great. When it arrived, the outer box was a bit tattered but the set itself was fine. No stuck pixels, no crud behind the glass, no hum like one of my Sammy's, draws less power than my Toshiba 56HMX195 DLP did, and isn't a room heater like my old Vizio P42... It replaced a calibrated Vizio XVT553SV which does have a brighter, detailed, and more vivid display. However, the LG's display image is definitely more life like and the colors are more realistic. I am using the THX settings which are pretty good for a "stock" setting. I have another 100 hours or so before I pass the 250 hour break in it period. It will be interesting to see what a calibration will do for this set.

Let's see What else? The Vizio Apps section blows the LG Apps out of the water and I hope this is something LG is planning to address. Netflix, YouTube, and Plex all work fine. But the Vizio had at least 3x the amount of apps. Also, the Vizio apps were mostly useful (unlike the mostly useless apps that LG has). The Vizio apps were also much more polished than the LG's apps. I especially miss my TuneIn Radio app and the Facebook app on the LG is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E! The wand remote is pretty cool, but I like the slide out keyboard on the Vizio's BT remote as it made entering information much more easy.

I have the LG hooked up to a HTPC. When compared, the Vizio also excelled in this area having the most crisp and detailed image I have yet to encounter on a HDTV. Don't get me wrong, the LG's output is ok and I can read and select files in a windows explorer screen from 12 feet away without having to increase font sizes. I am sure that the additional 5 also makes a difference. Bluray, .mkv file, and DVD displayed on the LG is great and I am satisfied with its performance so far.

I have not encountered any burn in or image retention. All in all, I am a very satisfied customer. Keep updating the app section and I'll be even happier. =)

LCDs work better as computer monitors and do produce a more crisp display off a PC. Plasma looks much nicer with SD material, tv viewing, and movies to me however. Regular xvid files look very good compared to when viewing them on an LCD. 1080p mkv looks stellar.

I don't use the built in apps, but I also consider them pretty poor.
post #160 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXM View Post

Hi guys!!

Are you impressed the black level?

Thanks

Overall picture quality is great. The black levels are just ok. They don't compare to Panasonic's or Samsung's levels.
post #161 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM
MXM

Quote:

Overall picture quality is great. The black levels are just ok. They don't compare to Panasonic's or Samsung's levels.

Thank you!!!
One more question, can you see any line bleeding?
post #162 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!!!
One more question, can you see any line bleeding?

I tested line bleeding last night. Compared to last year's PX950, the PZ950 has much less line bleeding, but you can still see it if you really look for it. The only time it was noticeable during normal viewing for me was during movie credits.
post #163 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
MXM

Quote:

I tested line bleeding last night. Compared to last year's PX950, the PZ950 has much less line bleeding, but you can still see it if you really look for it. The only time it was noticeable during normal viewing for me was during movie credits.

Thank you again, you've been very helpful
post #164 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

THX mode also turns on noise reduction automatically, which reduces picture quality. If you highlight THX Cinema and hit 8741, you can edit THX mode and turn off the noise reduction to improve pic quality as well.

I can't seem to get the 8741 to work. Can you provide kore details? Nothing happened after I press 8741 when highlighting the thx mode in both the full menu and quick menu.

Thank you!
post #165 of 1122 Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Hi there,

Just got my 50" PZ950 the other day through the Amazon deal that also gets you a BD650 3D Blu-ray player, and I've been breaking it in a little bit with some 1.78:1 Blu-rays. The quality of the image, even uncalibrated and with low contrast on for the break-in period, has blown me away, but there's an issue I'm having with 1080p/24 playback.

I have 24hz mode enabled on the Blu-ray player and Film Mode enabled on the TV, but I am getting crazyyy judder, especially on panning and horizontal dolly shots. It doesn't seem like the strobing one would expect from 24p content, but seems to occasionally hitch as though the movement is uneven. At other times, the motion seems weirdly too fluid, as though frame interpolation/motion smoothing is occurring. It looks like a weird PAL conversion effect. SD-DVDs seem to play back fine.

Has anyone noticed this kind of weirdness with 1080p/24 playback on this TV? Am I forgetting to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks very much for any advice!
post #166 of 1122 Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorgaw View Post

I can't seem to get the 8741 to work. Can you provide kore details? Nothing happened after I press 8741 when highlighting the thx mode in both the full menu and quick menu.

Thank you!

In the full menu, highlight THX Cinema. While it is highlighted, hit 8741. Contrast, brightness, and advanced picture options should no longer be greyed out, and you can edit them.
post #167 of 1122 Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdburby View Post

I have 24hz mode enabled on the Blu-ray player and Film Mode enabled on the TV, but I am getting crazyyy judder, especially on panning and horizontal dolly shots. It doesn't seem like the strobing one would expect from 24p content, but seems to occasionally hitch as though the movement is uneven. At other times, the motion seems weirdly too fluid, as though frame interpolation/motion smoothing is occurring. It looks like a weird PAL conversion effect. SD-DVDs seem to play back fine.

Has anyone noticed this kind of weirdness with 1080p/24 playback on this TV? Am I forgetting to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Hi,
I have the same issue with my 50PZ950s (European model). I have 24hz mode enabled on the Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and Film Mode on TV.
TV reports 1080p/24Hz playback...

But motion judder is normal for 24p:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1143420
post #168 of 1122 Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM

I'm shopping for a new panel and I'm divided between LG's new LW6500 LED set and this PZ950 set.

I'm looking for a set with the best black levels possible, color reproduction, screen uniformity, and lowest input lag. I watch Blurays, and also play videogames on my TV so lag is a somewhat important factor for me.

I read earlier in the thread that the PZ950's blacks don't stand up to the Sammy D8000/D7000, but I've dismissed those because of rampant uniformity issues and people reporting having to exchange units two or three times before they get a decent set. Price and Samsung's less than stellar customer service are also factors that drove me away.

Also looking at the new Panny GT30, but a bit disconcerted about the floating blacks and grays. How does the PZ950 compare in this regard? Are the blacks significantly deeper on the GT30?

Why can't a TV just have it all with none of the bs?
post #169 of 1122 Old 06-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post

Also looking at the new Panny GT30, but a bit disconcerted about the floating blacks and grays. How does the PZ950 compare in this regard? Are the blacks significantly deeper on the GT30?
Yes, they are...
post #170 of 1122 Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post

I'm looking for a set with the best black levels possible, color reproduction, screen uniformity, and lowest input lag. I watch Blurays, and also play videogames on my TV so lag is a somewhat important factor for me.

\\

I have the 60PZ950 and would highly recommend it. People on here are VERY concerned with black levels it seems and I am very happy with those produced by the unit. I would definately not say the blacks are significantly deeper on the Panasonic, marginally at best. I have gamed a LOT on this tv and the picture quality is amazing and the lag is unnoticeable to me. I watch 5-6 movies a week, and am very impressed with the blacks and picture quality all around. You can spend more money on the Panasonic and get the butt ugly shiny plastic frame to go with it but I think you would be pleased with the PZ as it is truly beautiful on or off.
post #171 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Some people on this forum are complaining about the black levels on this plasma, this is my first time considering a HDTV coming from a 27" tube that had horrible picture. The question is, should I be considering a Sammy that is prone to buzzing or go with the lower black levels of the LG with smart tv? Would I notice much of a difference between the two?

Also, how much of a difference does the trublack filter do in dark situations? Is it worth the extra money over the pz750 model?

Does anyone have any input on input lag or 24p playback, it would be a deal breaker to have noticeable lag in games.

Last question, does the pz950 playback MKV files from a hardrive?

I would like some feedback and thank you for your time.
post #172 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM

I have the pz750 and love it. I cant really get into details about settings and black levels, but I can tell you the picture is awesome. And buzzing would drive me up the wall, get this TV for half the price of the Sammy.
post #173 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
MXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CoolDad View Post
I have the 60PZ950 and would highly recommend it. People on here are VERY concerned with black levels it seems and I am very happy with those produced by the unit. I would definately not say the blacks are significantly deeper on the Panasonic, marginally at best. I have gamed a LOT on this tv and the picture quality is amazing and the lag is unnoticeable to me. I watch 5-6 movies a week, and am very impressed with the blacks and picture quality all around. You can spend more money on the Panasonic and get the butt ugly shiny plastic frame to go with it but I think you would be pleased with the PZ as it is truly beautiful on or off.
Regarding the black levels, have you seen the Panasonic in low light/ambient conditions, because this is the only way you can really test the black levels.
post #174 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Regarding the black levels, have you seen the Panasonic in low light/ambient conditions, because this is the only way you can really test the black levels.

Or, in another way, if the ambient is not fully dark, or you have some lights on it, it could be really difficult to see the differences of the minimum black level (MLL). It is much more important don't have other real problems, like not good 24p support, floatings stuff (blacks or whites), etc, expecially the random problems because they are disturbing much more. The minimum black level is a fixed thing, not a real problem, and you will really notice it only in some situations, and mainly if you are looking for that thing (instead of enjoying your new TV )
post #175 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieBullet View Post

Some people on this forum are complaining about the black levels on this plasma, this is my first time considering a HDTV coming from a 27" tube that had horrible picture. The question is, should I be considering a Sammy that is prone to buzzing or go with the lower black levels of the LG with smart tv? Would I notice much of a difference between the two?

Also, how much of a difference does the trublack filter do in dark situations? Is it worth the extra money over the pz750 model?

Does anyone have any input on input lag or 24p playback, it would be a deal breaker to have noticeable lag in games.

Last question, does the pz950 playback MKV files from a hardrive?

I would like some feedback and thank you for your time.

I don't think the Trublack filter really makes much of a difference. I do know that input lag is minimal and handled very well.

Regarding Samsung vs LG, the Samsung D7000 model has a better picture at around the same price as the LG, but they are also having a "peeling screen" problem. The anti-glare filters are peeling off a lot of the tvs. The LGs dont have this problem, and no one has really found any terrible bugs yet, aside from some 24p playback studdering on the LGs.

If it wasn't for the screens literally peeling off, I probably would have returned my PZ950 for the D7000. Still a great tv though, just not as good as the others.

Actually, the LG 60PZ750/950 is probably the best bang for the buck right now. The Panasonics are too expensive and have floating blacks, and the Samsungs are having panel issues. My PZ950 has perfect uniformity, and it seems like everyone elses does too. Add in a blu-ray player and two glasses thrown in for free, and its a great deal. Screen uniformity and 3D are miles ahead of last years model.
post #176 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks bhazard for your informative post! Of course to others as well.

I knew the Panasonic had floating blacks and whites, the GT and ST series had a dim back light (the LG was supposedly very bright), plus it was way too expensive for a decent set. The Samsung had some buzzing (drives me nuts) and peeling issues, so I was a bit skeptic on the Sammy.

Overall, I think I am going to propel myself toward the LG PZ750, it has a lot of features, great picture quality (black level shouldn't be noticeably worse than the Panasonic unless looking at it side by side), great response time, aesthetics and for a descent price. CAN'T WAIT to look at a scatter hockey game when September rolls around on the big screen.
post #177 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM

Maybe instead I should ask, does anyone have this TV who has gotten 24p to display properly? Because I'd love to hear that it's possible...
post #178 of 1122 Old 06-28-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdburby View Post

Maybe instead I should ask, does anyone have this TV who has gotten 24p to display properly? Because I'd love to hear that it's possible...

I watched a movie on my PS3 the other night and nothing seemed wrong. I'll test it out again tomorrow.
post #179 of 1122 Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:

It's hard to find a dealer anywhere that doesn't have 10K watts of fluorescents lighting up the showroom so no, I couldn't. I checked them out at several dealers and tried to compare the different manufacturers then wound up rolling the dice and buying the PZ having only seen last years PX. I ONLY watch TV in low light and that is what steered me over to plasma and I couldn't be happier since the PZ950 is about half of the LW9500 that I had my sights on. Even in total darkness, my preferred setting, I am totally satisfied with the black levels of the LG.
post #180 of 1122 Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Liked: 12
@bhazard - I'm currently debating the PZ950 or the Samsung D6500, since it doesn't have the troublesome AR coating that's peeling off the 7000s and 8000s. Did you ever take a look at the D6500, and see how it stacks up next to your PZ950? I feel like they're both high on the 'bang for the buck' scale and am waffling back and forth between the two.

Anybody know who makes the better/more comfortable 3D glasses? That might be a good way to decide.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page