Official LG XXPZ950 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1121 Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no owners thread for this lovely TV and I had the pleasure of watching the NBA playoffs on this TV today at my good friends so I decided I'll start with my critiques on this TV. Let's get this thread going, this is an amaazing TV and has not got the love it deserves.

The first thing I noticed about this tv is it's sexy styling. For a plasma tv it's bezel is very thin. Not as thin as these edge lit lcd's that are hairline thin but it's a lot thinner then plasmas have traditionally been. With the screen off it looks very black but does pick up reflections quite bad. Even though it has a tru black filter it still handles reflections pretty poor which seems to be a problem of most plasmas. With it turned on though the reflections seem to disappear and they are no longer distracting.

I watched an NBA game on ESPN HD on this tv it was fantastic. ESPN HD is broadcast in 720p and I really thought it was 1080p quality. Everything was sharp and crisp. The motion resolution is absolutely fantastic. There was 0 motion blur on fast moving action. Blacks seemed truly black and colors were vibrant and created a nice sense of pop.

I played with the magic motion remote control and it worked exactly as advertised. I can imagine when using the tv's web browser this remote will be really handy for browsing the web and clicking links and buttons. I'd say this remote is the best solution for browsing the web on a tv.

I really don't have any negative things to say about this tv. I saw the 60 inch version but im sure the 50 inch version would be equally stunning. At a price of 1920.00 for a 60 inch plasma with these kind of features you really cant beat it. This tv competes with tv's costing over 1000 dollars more and holds its own very well. If you are on a budget i highly recommend giving this tv a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1121 Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi,

I too, am waiting keenly to hear how well these PZ Flagship series do - I suspect that they might offer the best "bang for the buck" even if they do not turn out to be the very best of the bunch!

In the past, LG's seemed to be able to match other plasma's on almost all levels except Blacks & IR I believe - if they have sorted these out or greatly improved up them then these should be very tempting sets indeed!

Bazzy!
post #3 of 1121 Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Cmon LG xxpz950 owners, share your experience with this amazing television set.
post #4 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM

we love our PZ950 (50") like crazy. had it for a couple of weeks now. don't have time to write more now, but will later. so happy to finally find an owner's thread!
post #5 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
We need some pics...
post #6 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

We need some pics...

I will post some pics of my 60pz950 tonight. This TV is truly awesome. It was replacement for a faulty 60px950. The differences are astounding from PQ to design to internet capabilities...everything is head and shoulders above what the px offered.
post #7 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

We need some pics...

Here are a few quick ones. (I am not a photographer) Also keep in mind these are 1 megapixel pictures.

Attachment 210324

Attachment 210325
LL
LL
post #8 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait for some reviews to roll in on this set. Can you tell if it handles glare/ambient light better than last year's model?
post #9 of 1121 Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I can't wait for some reviews to roll in on this set. Can you tell if it handles glare/ambient light better than last year's model?

I would say it handles glare /ambient lighting slightly better than the px950. I don't really get a chance to sit and watch television until the evenings so light from windows is not really a concern of mine. There certainly is still minor reflections during the day. I think most people out there know that reflections is a plasma thing in general. I certainly knew that going in. That being said...I wouldn't trade it for ANY lcd/led, local dimming or not!!
post #10 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM

hi all. thanks for the pictures, dt. nice set-up!

hhal, i've got some pictures that might shed some light (literally) on how the PZ950 handles glare & reflections. i've been posting some "worst case scenario" photos on a picassa album at. OOPS, i can't include the URL until i've posted three times. well, i'll quickly post twice more and then include the link to the album.

bear in mind: we have our tv right next to very large, south-facing windows. i don't think you could have a much harder set-up for a plasma. i included a wider angle picture so you could see some of the windows in the room.

even though i show some seemingly horrifying glare & reflections, all we have to do is swivel the set a bit and the picture is great.

and at night... just heavenly!!! rich, deep, and immersive.

fyi, i'm a newbie and don't know much about a/v in general, but i'd be happy to try to answer any questions i can. we are so blown away by this tv -- and we are delighted to share our experience with other current or prospective owners.

regards, wooty (the poster formerly known as dlees)
post #11 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM

2nd post
post #12 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 AM

3rd post
post #13 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 AM

ok, hopefully the link to the picasa album will work this time:

https://picasaweb.google.com/wootype...OXcnNW66evZUA#
post #14 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooty View Post

Thanks! You left no stone unturned with the daylight scenarios.
post #15 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 AM

yes, lots of scary-looking shots. i was posting them in response to questions on two other (equally excellent) a/v website forums. i really hope, though, i haven't put anyone off by posting these. for what it's worth, we were replacing an old CRT set that handled glare so badly it was virtually unwatchable during sunny days. we were AMAZED how well this set handled reflections and glare. if sun is not directly hitting the screen, there is no wash out at all. and somehow, the filter manages to greatly reduce and often completely eliminate reflections on even the sunniest days. again, i was trying to capture the "worst case" pictures in response to questions from other posters.

bottom line: this tv is perfect. for us, anyway. no IR, zero buzzing, no DSE (all things i've only recently learned about :-) and the picture is phenomenal! we've yet to watch a blu-ray 1080p movie or used 3D yet. will report back when we do.

regards.
post #16 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlees View Post
"we've yet to watch a blu-ray 1080p movie"

regards.
I can't believe you haven't seen what this TV can REALLY do. I would suggest Cars, Wall-E, Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs or any Disney BluRay. Put it on at night with no ambient lighting. Set it to THX cinema and be prepared to have your socks knocked off and your mind blown...seriously. My wife saw Ice Age Dawn of the Dino's (her first Blu Ray experience) and was staring at the screen like a zombie for 1.5hrs. She could not believe that a picture could be that detailed. Please post with your impressions after you have experienced this set in all it's 1080p glory. Make sure to set your played to output 1080p/24fps.
post #17 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM

thanks, dt! very much appreciate the tip on setting the player to 1080p.

haven't seen 3D because i bought the wrong (cheaper) glasses to start. new ones arrive on saturday (oh boy, oh boy!). and in a similar bit of idiocy, the bluray movie i'd gotten (inside the milky way) turned out to be 1080i. i'd preordered this tv weeks before it was available, along with the lg bluray player & movie, as a b'day present for my husband. just didn't know as much then as i do know -- thanks to forums.

but the thing is, another reason we've been slow to put our baby through her paces because we were so stunned how good just regular old HD TV could be. and have you noticed how the picture sometimes looks like it's in 3D even when it's not? just amazing.

we're all set for this weekend: we'll have the glasses, i recently bought 3D "despicable me", plus 2 non-3D 1080p movies "the fall" and the bbc series "life". can't wait to have our socks knocked off!

question: i see that a 3D version of "ice age, dawn of the dinosaurs" is available from my cable co. but that would be in 1080i, right? cable stuff can't be 1080p? even so, we'll definitely watch it. but let me know if i'm wrong about what comcast can deliver.

we're currently at 85 hours of set use, and love the tv more every hour.
post #18 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The glare looks about as bad as with my PK540. I was hoping they would have used a better filter for the 2011 models. It's not a deal breaker for me at all but just a bit disappointing.
post #19 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

hi eh. i've been so focused on getting the "worst case' pix that i don't think i've included enough photos of how we actually see it -- that is, turned a few degrees away from the window. will post some more pix later today, if i get a chance; tomorrow, if not.

plus, i don't know what your viewing sitch is, but, in our case, there are 8 windows on three sides of the room. most of the windows are normal height, but those big south-facing ones are 6 feet tell. this time of year (april), when the trees aren't out yet, sunlight streams in, flooding the entire room.

we have no experience with plasma before this tv, but we have been delighted with the way the way this tv blocks glare. reserve disappointment until you see some more shots. i was trying to hard to be honest, but i think maybe i went overboard.
post #20 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt72 View Post

Here are a few quick ones. (I am not a photographer) Also keep in mind these are 1 megapixel pictures.

Attachment 210324

Attachment 210325

nice DT! don't like 'suppan' or 'subban' whatever his name is. he was making some punkass gestures to the Bruin faithful last night. Too bad the Bruins finally got their number. they've had some good series over the years. I'm no fan of the habs, especially when they punked my LA Kings in '93.

Nice pix btw! and no more DSE! u got the 60 too, man i'm so jealous!
post #21 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

wow! a ton of pix! ty 4 sharing. looks like you need some black out drapes in that room. or maybe that TV doesn't belong in that room, no other room in your home w/less windows? even a panny is going to show some reflections in there.
post #22 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

wow! a ton of pix! ty 4 sharing. looks like you need some black out drapes in that room. or maybe that TV doesn't belong in that room, no other room in your home w/less windows? even a panny is going to show some reflections in there.

Some of those are worst-case scenario pics, with sunlight hitting the screen head-on. Seems to look okay without that head-on exposure. It would be interesting to see how the Panny's and Samsungs handle that level of light as well, but I don't know if we are going to see that.
post #23 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM

hi lefty. black out drapes? yes, that's what everyone who sees those pix says ;-) but here's the thing: except for when i force sunshine on the set (by turning it towards the windows to take the photos) the light is no problem. really. that's one of the reasons we love this tv so much. even in this sunny a room, it's really good at blocking glare. i think i've done enough "worst case" photos, though. from now on, i'm going to take shots to show it to its well-earned advantage.
post #24 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

thanks, dt! very much appreciate the tip on setting the player to 1080p.

haven't seen 3D because i bought the wrong (cheaper) glasses to start. new ones arrive on saturday (oh boy, oh boy!). and in a similar bit of idiocy, the bluray movie i'd gotten (inside the milky way) turned out to be 1080i. i'd preordered this tv weeks before it was available, along with the lg bluray player & movie, as a b'day present for my husband. just didn't know as much then as i do know -- thanks to forums.

but the thing is, another reason we've been slow to put our baby through her paces because we were so stunned how good just regular old HD TV could be. and have you noticed how the picture sometimes looks like it's in 3D even when it's not? just amazing.

we're all set for this weekend: we'll have the glasses, i recently bought 3D "despicable me", plus 2 non-3D 1080p movies "the fall" and the bbc series "life". can't wait to have our socks knocked off!

question: i see that a 3D version of "ice age, dawn of the dinosaurs" is available from my cable co. but that would be in 1080i, right? cable stuff can't be 1080p? even so, we'll definitely watch it. but let me know if i'm wrong about what comcast can deliver.

we're currently at 85 hours of set use, and love the tv more every hour.

1080P tvs like this one automatically upconvert 1080i to 1080p. The difference is not noticeable.
post #25 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

1080P tvs like this one automatically upconvert 1080i to 1080p. The difference is not noticeable.

thank you, bh. it's really fascinating to learn about this stuff.

fyi, everyone, i've added six new pictures to the picasa album. as always, the pictures are not adjusted or altered in any way. this time i used my husband's camera but, as i've done in the past, the camera is set on auto. interesting to note that the camera changes the perceived level of light in the room. the actual level of light is more accurately shown in the "set off" pictures, but what you see on the screen in terms of lack of glare and very limited reflections (only from windows directly behind me), is exactly what i saw on the screen when the set was on. and the colors and black level i see when i view these photos on my mac is pretty much exactly what i saw on the screen too.

i included the beginning and ending "set off" photos so you could see the degree of reflectiveness when the set is off -- and how amazingly the PZ950 loses all of the glare and the great majority of the reflections when the set is on. unlike the previous "worst case" pictures, the most recent pix demonstrate what we actually see when we watch this tv during the day.

will take some nighttime pictures over the next couple of days and post as well. hope these are helpful. regards.
post #26 of 1121 Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

nice DT! don't like 'suppan' or 'subban' whatever his name is. he was making some punkass gestures to the Bruin faithful last night. Too bad the Bruins finally got their number. they've had some good series over the years. I'm no fan of the habs, especially when they punked my LA Kings in '93.

Nice pix btw! and no more DSE! u got the 60 too, man i'm so jealous!

I can't stand either team. I am an oiler fan. But any Hockey is better than no Hockey at all!! Yes, we Canadians are that Hockey crazed! Anyways, I wouldn't be jealous. Just try to make sure that the tech is telling LG that throwing parts at it won't fix it. In the meantime, do indeed play hardball. You are the only one who has been "put out" because of an obvious quality control issue.
post #27 of 1121 Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 AM

I have had the 60PZ950 for one week now and have been playing with some of the settings. This is my first plasma set, as I have had many LCD sets, mostly Sharp in the past. I understand that these sets should be run in first and then calibrated for the best performance, but, so far, I am on the fence about the PQ. At the same time I changed TVs, I also went from Comcast cable to Dish Satellite. So, I am not sure what the contributors are. My Sharp LC-60E88UN had the best picture I have ever seen and with little adjustments necessary. I suppose the plasma setting procedure is more complex and it does have many more adjustments. Also, I was a little disappointed to find out the LG does not have a flash player, so the streaming videos can only be done with apps. With the full browser, I was hoping to access the major networks and watch full episodes, but, no luck. I would be interested if someone would post detailed setup adjustments. Often times, the faces appear dirty. I tried all of the picture modes and some reduce the dirty face appearance but I am not happy yet with the sharpness and coloring. I decided to start over and did a factory reset and will spend some more time on it. So far I have about 90 hours on the PX950. Any constructive comments would be appreciated.
post #28 of 1121 Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM

the PZ950 picture wizard didn't help?
post #29 of 1121 Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM

we have the PZ950 and use comcast. if it would be helpful to you, i could try to take some pictures of a screen (e.g. a news anchor's face) that you could subsequently find and put up on your set for comparison. let me know.

also: we went from a CRT to a plasma, so i don't have any LCD tv comparison to offer -- except that we sometimes used to use our 27" imac as a "tv" before we got the PZ. i've found that the plasma is a very different experience from the mac's LCD -- less crystalline (natch) sharp, but much more immersive and rich.

i'm not trying to be an apologist or booster for plasma -- or the PZ, for that matter. it's possible there's something wrong with your set. or maybe the switch from cable? or maybe the plasma look just doesn't work for you. in any event, hope you can get to a happy place with your new set.
post #30 of 1121 Old 04-29-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrocks View Post

I have had the 60PZ950 for one week now and have been playing with some of the settings. This is my first plasma set, as I have had many LCD sets, mostly Sharp in the past. I understand that these sets should be run in first and then calibrated for the best performance, but, so far, I am on the fence about the PQ. At the same time I changed TVs, I also went from Comcast cable to Dish Satellite. So, I am not sure what the contributors are. My Sharp LC-60E88UN had the best picture I have ever seen and with little adjustments necessary. I suppose the plasma setting procedure is more complex and it does have many more adjustments. Also, I was a little disappointed to find out the LG does not have a flash player, so the streaming videos can only be done with apps. With the full browser, I was hoping to access the major networks and watch full episodes, but, no luck. I would be interested if someone would post detailed setup adjustments. Often times, the faces appear dirty. I tried all of the picture modes and some reduce the dirty face appearance but I am not happy yet with the sharpness and coloring. I decided to start over and did a factory reset and will spend some more time on it. So far I have about 90 hours on the PX950. Any constructive comments would be appreciated.

I went from a Samsung LCD to an LG Plasma. You'll have to adjust in the beginning to the fact that the Plasma will have a more natural picture than an LCD, with less brightness and overblown color saturation. It wont look as "bright" or "colorful" at first compared to an LCD,but spend more time with it, and you'll love the picture much more than an LCD and won't go back.

Use THX mode for now. It's the easiest way to get a good picture that is semi accurate. Until people post some settings using a calibration disc or get an ISF calibration for themselves, you're kind of on your own until then since the tv is so new.

Also, use Blu-ray to see what the tv can do. Comcast sucks with picture quality.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page