Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate0n3 View Post

Be sure and set your settings while in the Viera Tools if you set it outside of that once you go into Viera tools it will default to Standard, or at least it is on my TV (I am not sure if I have the latest firmware it was made in December 2011 but I haven't put internet on it yet). I will see about getting pics it might have been doing it because it was semi cold first time being on in about 12hrs.

Each input has it's own settings,
This is convenient, but can throw you off at first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badabing2005 View Post

Each input has it's own settings,
This is convenient, but can throw you off at first.

Yeah I ran into this myself, should have mentioned it in my steps.

When you go to a Thumb/Flash drive this counts as another input. I should have said to change Picture settings AFTER loading your flash drive..just forgot

I'm enjoying my TV. I just received my Ideal Lume, can't wait to get off work and go install it and see how much difference it makes. Still waiting on my TV stand though.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Cinema may be more accurate but I have several issues with it ESPECIALLY for gaming;

It's dark. Like REALLY dark. It's too dark even fr dark room viewing!

Posterization is much more noticeable in cinema mode than game or custom. Not sure why this is but the color range feel 'compressed' and false contouring is the result.

Lag-- game mode is perceivably faster than any of the other picture modes.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogcel View Post

I'm just curious -- where did you get your color meter?

http://www.amazon.ca/Bogen-DC-S3P100...8730274&sr=8-1
Not the greatest according to the experts, but it does the job, and it's a budget meter just like the TV

If you're the adventurous type, you can also build your own.
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...fr-colormeter/

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogcel View Post

I've heard of folks using Blue Filters too, not sure if that'd be a cheaper alternative... can you or anyone else offer insight? The OCD part of me is just screaming at me to play with these service menu settings further

Before getting into the SM and calibrating it with the meter, I did so with DVE and blue(color) filter it came with.
that thing couldn't tell if my reds were high or the blues were low or vice versa,
your mileage might vary, but I think default Cinema mode settings, is closest those calibration DVDs would come to.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Cinema may be more accurate but I have several issues with it ESPECIALLY for gaming;

Posterization is much more noticeable in cinema mode than game or custom. Not sure why this is but the color range feel 'compressed' and false contouring is the result.

Hrm interesting. I am using Cinema but you have to bump up contrast and brightness to get rid of the dark. 80/60 or somewhere in that range..depending..

I'm curious about the other stuff you said but as I stated before..Cinema mode is the ONLY mode where the dithering is removed..any other mode and that dithering is pretty jarring.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Is that at default factory cinema settings with no SM changes?
FYI
pre-calibration
I got 31.5 ftL and gamma of 2.33
post calibration 37.8 ftL and gamma of 2.28

neither of the two can be classified as dark / very dark.

You had also mentioned that you've got the pink green blobs, perhaps you got a lemon, hope the tech visit tomorrow turns out well.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badabing2005 View Post

Is that at default factory cinema settings with no SM changes?
FYI
pre-calibration
I got 31.5 ftL and gamma of 2.33
post calibration 37.8 ftL and gamma of 2.28

neither of the two can be classified as dark / very dark.

You had also mentioned that you've got the pink green blobs, perhaps you got a lemon, hope the tech visit tomorrow turns out well.

Good luck.

I don't have calibration tools so I was using avshd to set the contrast/brightness/tint in the cinema mode. I would LOVE to have the set calibrated by someone who knows what they're doing... I'm thinking of posting a thread to get some advice on tools/techniques I could use to do an amateur-ish calibration on the set myself. Any advice for me?

Also, I've given up trying to find a set without pink/green-- I won't bore you with the details but I've spent the last 2 weeks gorilla testing sets armed with my SD card of slides and a snarky attitude!
The good news is my green is noticeably fading-- unfortunately the pink doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM

So tonight was fun, I mounted my old 40" Bravia in my bedroom on the wall, and ran the cables through the wall (all rigged and done myself..cost just 4 bucks)..

Then on to my Ideal-Lume..having a real hard time getting the placement right. Doesn't help that I have no stand right now...except a tiny one thats not for a 60" TV so too much light is going down toward the floor where it won't when I get my 60" stand.

Still my main problem is, the ceiling...theres a ton of light and it makes a jarring "line" from the shadow from the top of the TV..any pointers for placement? Ive messed with it facing down, up the wall, the TV, the middle of TV, the top, the bottom..etc...using the little diffuser knob also...not having any luck~!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:

I don't have calibration tools so I was using avshd to set the contrast/brightness/tint in the cinema mode. I would LOVE to have the set calibrated by someone who knows what they're doing... I'm thinking of posting a thread to get some advice on tools/techniques I could use to do an amateur-ish calibration on the set myself. Any advice for me?

sage11x, You've done the best you could without tools.
that is used AVSHD (a good starter for others can be found here:
http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to...inutes-or-less

if you want to take to the next level, you can use a meter (buy / rent or even build one yourself)
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorim...fr-colormeter/

a good reference guide for the steps needed can be found here (ps this is for a different model, but the idea and the steps are the same)
http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=788

good luck and post back your progress if you choose to go that route.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

I tried asking this in another thread and got no replies so I thought I'd try here-here's my problem-on the very left edge of the screen I have a vertical strip about 4 or 5 pixels wide where the picture is off center-what I need to do is shift the picture to the left to eliminate this-any ideas what I need to do in the service menu? Or does the tv need to go back to Best Buy for an exchage since I'm still in my 30 day return window?

Not sure if this was answered yet, but this is noticeable when the pixel orbiter is enabled in the anti image retention menu. (sometimes it's on the top or bottom, left or right) If you disable it , you should see the screen center itself and the strip should be gone. Also another thing you can do is change the aspect to full Size 1 so i is very slightly over-scanned, that might also fix it. Let us know how you make out. If it is still there and it really bothers you, you might as well exchange it because it most likely won't go away.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panasonic keeps calling me... WTF for? To sell me a warranty? I already told them no. Or, are they coming clean about the fluctuating brightness problems these sets have?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post

Panasonic keeps calling me... WTF for? To sell me a warranty? I already told them no. Or, are they coming clean about the fluctuating brightness problems these sets have?

Why don't you answer the call and find out?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

My panel evaluation came and went without much by the way of resolution. The tech that came out agreed with my suspicion that the green tint is actually a severe gamma coloration issue and that the real picture flaw is the pink/magenta "solarization" (his word) along the left and right flanks. He didn't suggest much by the way of a fix and didn't seem too interested in servicing the panel as the box is still prominently on display in my living room waiting for a possible return...

So I spent the better part of my day playing with picture settings and trying to "calibrate" my set. As I previously posted I've been using the AVS HD 709 disc but I had previously only messed with the cinema setting which is almost perfect out-of-the-box but it's dim picture is only suitable for for viewing in complete darkness, IMO. Unfortunately my attempt to adjust the other picture modes was met with frustration. Simply put: without possible service menu manipulation you CANNOT get this set to NOT clip white in any of the other pre-sets. In fact, I couldn't get the set NOt to clip black under mixed images of high contrast-- something I've noticed while watching basketball and hockey but the test patterns really drive that fact home! Gamma is obviously messed due to te aforementioned green splodge-- my grayscale is tiger striped with green... Speaking of green, my set pushes green in every picture mode as evidenced by panasonic's attempts too scale it back vs red/blue. Without independent color controls, grayscale adjustment or ****ing with the SM I have no way to correct this. Nevermind the INSANE amounts of dithering noise present in this panel when you're nt rocking cinema!

My technicians advice? I may be too particular and this might not be the right set for me...

At this point the ONLY advantage this set has over my 2008 black rise panel is it's superior blacks. Everything else looks to be a step in the wrong direction. Color me disappointed.

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

How do i get into the service menu...and what do i press to make changes

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Just picked up this TV from Costco after hunting for the ST and giving up. So far, I'm pretty impressed coming from a sammy dlp that just died.

I'm trying to get it connected to my router. Do you have to use panasonic's usb wifi adapter?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

I'm trying to get it connected to my router. Do you have to use panasonic's usb wifi adapter

Yes. Or else use a Cat5 cable, which will be more reliable in any event.

Taking a break from Very Cold Weather & Stiff Winds - by watching ice blow in from Lake Michigan!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM

...by a TC-P60S30 at my local Costco. The last one, the demo, for 998$.

In Canada....
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiBou View Post

...by a TC-P60S30 at my local Costco. The last one, the demo, for 998$.

In Canada....

I don't know how the prices are in Canada but that doesn't sound like much of a deal to me.

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Believe me....it is....
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Believe me....it is....

Ouch

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Anyone know what video format I can view using the DLNA on this panny. It will NOT show mp4's i have in itunes but will play all my mp3 audio files in itunes (using serviio media server software on my win 7 pc), the panny sees the mp4's but will not play them. Is there another format i need to rip my dvds to (using dvdfab 8.0.9.2)
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 AM

not sure the price in the US, i bought a 50S30 on black friday for 599 (thought that was a great deal) last week saw it at my local costco in CT for 629
Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

not sure the price in the US, i bought a 50S30 on black friday for 599 (thought that was a great deal) last week saw it at my local costco in CT for 629

This is the deal I got... and I'm going to return it. The green coloration in the gray scale is just too distracting especially as it grows red towards the edges of the screen (the 'green blob' issue). Sad to say but after following AVForums and HiDef junkies for several weeks I feel it's time to throw in the towel.

It seems as though Panasonic's fast switching phosphors are the culprit here-- the green (and red towards the edges) are not switching fast enough which is causing a residual 'glow' in the affected areas. Or, at least, that's the best guess at this point as Panasonic, as they are notorious for doing, is keeping tight lipped on the cause even as they've acknowledged it (at least in the UK). My old set would sometimes exhibit a green 'tail' on fast moving objects which was essentially the green phosphor taking an extra millisecond or two to fade vs the red and blue. This USED to be a problem with plasma in general but it's largely been fixed and even in the worst cases on my 2008 it was never bad to the point of being distracting...

I think the real nail in the coffin came last night--I was out with a buddy at our local watering hole and they had several 2011 Panasonics throughout the bar/dining areas displaying various sporting events. Several of them had EXTREME green splotches and a few more had rolling bands of green that inched up the display from bottom to top. Now, these may have been commercial models for all I know but the bezels looked identical to the X3/ST30 style and the bartender said they were installed new only this past year. My fear now is that even if I could convince myself that the coloration was worth putting up with for the price I now have to consider what happens if it gets worse! Let's admit right here that Panasonic isn't known for fixing or even caring about picture quality issues that arise after the sale!

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM

have only had mine since black friday but no issues here. 90% of my watching is 1080i hd cable provider signal, 5% netflix from viera app and 5% PS3. On the advice from many on these firums I have dialed down all picture settings (tint, contrast, color, etc to below 50%, and set as new STANDARD) also since i am in new york state and it is the winter the vast majority of my viewing is a a very dark room (one small light in the evening) very little viewing of this tv before 4pm
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Believe me....it is....

Yup for those of us that bought it for $999 or like myself $899 that's a great deal considering BB just raised the price back to $1299 in today's flyer.

My P60S30 has been perfect and for $899 I don't think there is a better 60" tv being sold any where by any one.

Glad I got mine when I did.

Tom
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

have only had mine since black friday but no issues here. 90% of my watching is 1080i hd cable provider signal, 5% netflix from viera app and 5% PS3. On the advice from many on these firums I have dialed down all picture settings (tint, contrast, color, etc to below 50%, and set as new STANDARD) also since i am in new york state and it is the winter the vast majority of my viewing is a a very dark room (one small light in the evening) very little viewing of this tv before 4pm

My custom setting is currently at 75 for contrast and 58 for brightness-- and that's still too dim for daytime viewing! Mind you, I'm in Detroit and it's mostly grey/overcast outside here. My 2008 1080p has no problem producing a bright enough picture to view even on a sunny day AND it does so without crushing white/black.

It appears when looking at Panasonic's 2012 TV marketing pitch that they're going to drop power draw even farther and hope to have brighter panels by restructuring the pixel walls to be thinner. Honestly, with LED grabbing up more and more market share I really don't see how Panasonic could afford to go dimmer...

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM

I took advantage of the great price on the p60s30 2 weeks ago, put in 100 hours of break-in time on the tv with slides and started calibrating. I found this thread just browsing the web for starting point recommendations. I went thru the DVE HD Basics bluray but just wasnt happy with what I got out of it.
I tried a few settings that people posted earlier in this thread and liked where it was going. Then I saw 1bang's post about accessing the service mode and making changes in there. I didnt realize til after I'd changed these settings that Panasonic calibrates these tv's differently from the factory. Any way to revert these to compare with others? At any rate, I used the settings posted by 1bang but prefer the deeper 'dark' black level as suggested by others. I love how this made mine look, I don't have a meter, but plan to try and find one locally to see how close I am. Also plan on picking up a copy of Disney WOW to compare that too.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photochop View Post

I took advantage of the great price on the p60s30 2 weeks ago, put in 100 hours of break-in time on the tv with slides and started calibrating. I found this thread just browsing the web for starting point recommendations. I went thru the DVE HD Basics bluray but just wasnt happy with what I got out of it.
I tried a few settings that people posted earlier in this thread and liked where it was going. Then I saw 1bang's post about accessing the service mode and making changes in there. I didnt realize til after I'd changed these settings that Panasonic calibrates these tv's differently from the factory. Any way to revert these to compare with others? At any rate, I used the settings posted by 1bang but prefer the deeper 'dark' black level as suggested by others. I love how this made mine look, I don't have a meter, but plan to try and find one locally to see how close I am. Also plan on picking up a copy of Disney WOW to compare that too.

If you haven't touched the SD settings in SM, then you're in luck, as the SD factory values match the HD, go read them and take note.

What I noticed in the factory settings from all the data that I have seen so far:

R-Cut, B-Cut, G-cut, All-cut values are all 80
G-Drv and All-Drv are FF

All the B-Drv warm values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

All the R-Drv warm values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

All the B-Drv normal values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

All the R-Drv normal values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

All the B-Drv cool values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

All the R-Drv cool values across all modes are the same, so if you can read it in SD, that's your ref

Here's one other big thing I noticed.
You make changes to any Setting in SM, and it changes in every picture mode (I only changed cinema settings, and it applied to all, Vivid, Custom, and std)

The good thing is that HD doesn't effect SD, and vice versa.

So going back, my posted references aren't correct.

My corrected Warm R-Drv is E5
My Corrected Warm B-Drv is 53

My corrected Normal R-Drv is D5
My Corrected Normal B-Drv is 83

My corrected Cool R-Drv is CA
My Corrected Cool B-Drv is B6

So my corrected offsets are:
R-Cut: +7
B-Cut: +5
R-Drv: +1
B-Drv: +2

The reason I had it wrong is because when I first started testing, I modified the custom settings without realizing that my cinema settings were changed.

In couple of weeks time, when I have some free time, I plan to reset everything to factory defaults and measure in cinema mode (which is the only mode I care for)
taking baseline measurements and seeing how far off it is from a good calibration, and redoing the calibration to see if the best settings I could achieve would be the same offsets posted above.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Sounds great, thanks for the reply. Looks like I am in luck, I only changed the cinema mode default settings in hd. I'll get back into service mode later today and get my factory sm settings and post em up
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 AM

I got it ! The 60". In store it didn't even look dimmer than the others. In my house it will probably be in cinema mode and only a bit brighter. It's not fonctionnal yet, I have to remove the other one...

Thinking of ordering this mount : http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...2801&p_id=3900

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv