Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxS30 Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 523 Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Badabing, can I just hire you to come out and work your magic on my panel? Lol! I think a properly calibrated display may offset my disgust of green blobs.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 523 Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Badabing, can I just hire you to come out and work your magic on my panel? Lol! I think a properly calibrated display may offset my disgust of green blobs.

Honestly sage11x, if your were close to me I would have offered to do it for free.
I'm in quite North of you, in the colder climates
At least I would have seen this green / pink blobs first hand.

Although it's possible that my set suffers from the same symptoms which I'm not seeing (ignorance is a bliss, haha) I highly doubt it, as i'm very picky and and at times accused of being perfectionist, my wife hates me for that, she has become one like me, scrutinizing every detail of every photograph / video.

I still think this TV is amazing value for what it offers at the price it offers.
When the feed is good, the TV wows me, It honestly does, though I also notice the imperfections a lot more when the feed isn't great.
post #303 of 523 Old 02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badabing2005 View Post

Honestly sage11x, if your were close to me I would have offered to do it for free.
I'm in quite North of you, in the colder climates
At least I would have seen this green / pink blobs first hand.

Although it's possible that my set suffers from the same symptoms which I'm not seeing (ignorance is a bliss, haha) I highly doubt it, as i'm very picky and and at times accused of being perfectionist, my wife hates me for that, she has become one like me, scrutinizing every detail of every photograph / video.

I still think this TV is amazing value for what it offers at the price it offers.
When the feed is good, the TV wows me, It honestly does, though I also notice the imperfections a lot more when the feed isn't great.

We're just now getting winter (proper) here in Michigan!

No, I don't think you would miss it as any grayscale pattern reveals it easily.

And I know what you're saying about the feed-- Bluray and Xbox/PS3 look amazing but my 1080i U-verse and my 480P Wii look a little worse for wear. My 46" was decidedly better with the Wii but I can't say about U-verse... It's always looked bad to me.

--Carl Sagan
post #304 of 523 Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM

hey guys does anyone know if this tv can show .srt files? the mkv files play fine but i dunno how to get it to run subtitles... does it even have that option?
post #305 of 523 Old 02-13-2012, 09:28 PM

Wanted to chime in, have not posted for a while. Got my TC-P60S30 delivered on Friday from BB. $899 plust tax, free delivery and 36 month 0% financing. I have to tell you, right out of the box the picture is awesome in Cinema mode. No blotches or lines. I watched Aerial America Hawaii on Smithsonian HD (DirecTV) and the picture was breathtaking. Watched some of the Pebble Beach Pro Am and again the picture was awesome eventhough there was not much sun. I noticed some of the colors on the golfers shirts were a little washed out but some future tweaking should take care of that. This is my first plasma, I have 3 Sammy LCD's that I like, and I was concerned after reading various posts that the panel was going to be too reflective for my liking. To my surprise, this is not the case. I find it to be no more reflective than my LCD's. As long as there is not a light directly behind me it is fine. Running the slides right now and was wondering if it is ok to interupt before the 100 hours to watch a little tv? After the 100 hours I will calibrate and post results.
post #306 of 523 Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by genecro View Post

Wanted to chime in, have not posted for a while. Got my TC-P60S30 delivered on Friday from BB. $899 plust tax, free delivery and 36 month 0% financing. I have to tell you, right out of the box the picture is awesome in Cinema mode. No blotches or lines. I watched Aerial America Hawaii on Smithsonian HD (DirecTV) and the picture was breathtaking. Watched some of the Pebble Beach Pro Am and again the picture was awesome eventhough there was not much sun. I noticed some of the colors on the golfers shirts were a little washed out but some future tweaking should take care of that. This is my first plasma, I have 3 Sammy LCD's that I like, and I was concerned after reading various posts that the panel was going to be too reflective for my liking. To my surprise, this is not the case. I find it to be no more reflective than my LCD's. As long as there is not a light directly behind me it is fine. Running the slides right now and was wondering if it is ok to interupt before the 100 hours to watch a little tv? After the 100 hours I will calibrate and post results.

Actually, you can just watch the set normally, no need to run the slides. People are misunderstanding the point of the slides I think. D-Nice's instructions are intended to produce a situation where using his settings will yield repeatable results...nothing more. Plasmas do not require break-in or any special handling unless you just want to do it. You do want to put some hours on the set so that your calibration won't need tweaking down the road, but once the phosphors are what I like to call "condtioned" you are good to go. It takes about 100-200 hours of use to get there and the slides are good for that and can speed up the process somewhat, but simply using the set is just as good. I ran the slides to speed up the process and to check for anomalies. But mostly I ran them to stress the unit in the hopes that if it was going to develop problems it would happen sooner rather than later.

I think a lot of people tend to obsess over their hobbies to the detriment of enjoyment. I remember running into guys at the track who would have all this electronic gear, high end fuel management systems..the works. They would spend all day fussing and fiddling with their gear, then get out on the track and I would smoke them like a Norwegian salmon. They would ask me what I had under the hood and I would show them. A $2 aquarium valve to control my boost and a 1st gen blow off valve I got off a car that had been wrecked. I tuned it with my ear; if it sounded right and didn't blow the head off the engine, I was ready to race. Most of all, I ENJOYED my car and my day at the track.

So really, watch movies, run the slides in between and if you are paranoid, watch everything in standard mode for the first 200hrs. Then calibrate your set and enjoy. Leave the nitpicking and the worrying to the folks that were toilet trained at gunpoint...
post #307 of 523 Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiBou View Post

I got it ! The 60". In store it didn't even look dimmer than the others. In my house it will probably be in cinema mode and only a bit brighter. It's not fonctionnal yet, I have to remove the other one...

Thinking of ordering this mount : http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...2801&p_id=3900

just got my 50 inch today....running slide show, looked for any blobs/pink....NONE thank god....slight buzz if you put you ear to the back, cant hear it from more than a foot away....so far very happy

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #308 of 523 Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

Actually, you can just watch the set normally, no need to run the slides. People are misunderstanding the point of the slides I think. D-Nice's instructions are intended to produce a situation where using his settings will yield repeatable results...nothing more. Plasmas do not require break-in or any special handling unless you just want to do it. You do want to put some hours on the set so that your calibration won't need tweaking down the road, but once the phosphors are what I like to call "condtioned" you are good to go. It takes about 100-200 hours of use to get there and the slides are good for that and can speed up the process somewhat, but simply using the set is just as good. I ran the slides to speed up the process and to check for anomalies. But mostly I ran them to stress the unit in the hopes that if it was going to develop problems it would happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine told me tha same thing and like I said, the picture right out of the box is awesome. Early impression is that I love this set and I can't imagine doing better for $900.
post #309 of 523 Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Just got a 60s30 yesterday, $899 from BB. Was so excited to hook it up but the picture controls are basically useless, the tv is not bright and I can not get a true white at all. Even on vivid it has a dull haze to it and the colors are washed out tried all the previous settings with the only real improvement is in the sharpness. put in a service request to panasonic. will see what happens.
post #310 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYHOMETHEATER View Post

Just got a 60s30 yesterday, $899 from BB. Was so excited to hook it up but the picture controls are basically useless, the tv is not bright and I can not get a true white at all. Even on vivid it has a dull haze to it and the colors are washed out tried all the previous settings with the only real improvement is in the sharpness. put in a service request to panasonic. will see what happens.

First plasma? First panasonic?

--Carl Sagan
post #311 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM

Myfirst, you may wanna take that plasma back and have them exchange it for another, out of the box the settings should look ok, and you should notice significant changes in the picture when you adjust settings
post #312 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM

I bought a P60S30 a couple weeks ago from Walmart for 898.00.

I thought the display was a little dim out of the box, but I've tweaked the settings to my taste, as well as using some of the settings others have posted.

This is my second Panasonic plasma. My other was a 50 inch that I bought about 6 years ago. I paid $4400.00 for it from Best Buy back then and I absolutely loved it. My saintly wife agreed to let me go bigger for the family room.

After tinkering with the settings on the 60" I absolutely love it. On a side note, I moved the 50" down to the basement, and the picture looks even better in the dimly lit basement, from only 6 feet away, unlike 12 feet away in the family room.

I'm curious what $900.00 will buy in 5 or 6 years.
post #313 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Yes first plasma and yes first Panasonic. I complained too early, WOW This is an incredible display, I will admit it took me 48 hrs or so to get the settings to my liking but now it is awesome! Had a Blu-Ray viewing party with the kids and it impressed, such a big improvement from our 61" Samsung LED DLP.

post #314 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM

so does anyone know if this unit handles subtitle .srt files? i cant seem to get it to work
post #315 of 523 Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes first plasma and yes first Panasonic. I complained too early, WOW This is an incredible display, I will admit it took me 48 hrs or so to get the settings to my liking but now it is awesome! Had a Blu-Ray viewing party with the kids and it impressed, such a big improvement from our 61" Samsung LED DLP.

awesome, iv mostly been running slides just to get some hours on it, but have played some nhl 12 and some blu ray using settings i found on plasmabuying guide....nhl 12 looks amazing...i previously owned a panasonic from 08 (1080p, model 85u) and LOVED IT.....waiting for the able guy to come out friday with a new hd box

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #316 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi34 View Post

I'm curious what $900.00 will buy in 5 or 6 years.

Interesting point of view. I own 3 panny Plasma's and the first one I bought was a 42" 720P panny that I love and was glad to pay $1249 for it back in 2007. In fact I bragged about the deal I got on it from 6th Ave Electronics for over a year.

Paying $899 for a 1080P 60" panny plasma is just goofy insane.

I am looking forward to the future now.

Tom
post #317 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Ok my bluray feed is beautiful, but my direct tv picture is a little dull and colors are a little off and dull. Im using the same settings for both. Would it help if I changed the direct tv feed to composite instead of hdmi or is it just my signal from direct tv?
post #318 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Thats what happens when you buy a low grade panel from panasonic.

You would of been happier with the ST series
post #319 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Well unfortunately the additional cost was not in the budget to get a ST. I have the Disney WOW bluray on the way.
post #320 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Well unfortunately the additional cost was not in the budget to get a ST. I have the Disney WOW bluray on the way.

Just do what everyone else does and ignore CSIG1001, he is the resident
S30 thread troll and Walmart TV "expert".
post #321 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok my bluray feed is beautiful, but my direct tv picture is a little dull and colors are a little off and dull. Im using the same settings for both. Would it help if I changed the direct tv feed to composite instead of hdmi or is it just my signal from direct tv?

Your cabling is not the issue, so stick with HDMI. Maybe there's a way to mess with your receiver's settings to improve your picture quality?
post #322 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

Just do what everyone else does and ignore CSIG1001, he is the resident
S30 thread troll and Walmart TV "expert".

Agreed, the trollin' on this site nowadays is amazing.

My father has an ST panel and while it IS a better display the picture difference between the two has been exaggerated to the point of absurdity. The ST will get a bit brighter but most of that is negated by the louvre filter. The ST does have controls for individual colors under custom mode... Unfortunately custom still has serious issues with gamma so the advantages are slight there. The panels are identical-- as is typical Panasonic has 'nerfed' the specs on it's entry level set to further it from te higher priced models: both are 14th gen panels, both have fast switching phosphors (and the 1080 lines of moving resolution that comes with it).

--Carl Sagan
post #323 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

My father has an ST panel and while it IS a better display the picture difference between the two has been exaggerated to the point of absurdity. The ST will get a bit brighter but most of that is negated by the louvre filter. The ST does have controls for individual colors under custom mode... Unfortunately custom still has serious issues with gamma so the advantages are slight there. The panels are identical-- as is typical Panasonic has 'nerfed' the specs on it's entry level set to further it from te higher priced models: both are 14th gen panels, both have fast switching phosphors (and the 1080 lines of moving resolution that comes with it).

I've been lurking here for 10 years and it did seem the there were fewer people posting unhelpful things back in the day.
post #324 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM

no, no way to adjust the Direct Tv box. I just spoke with Panasonic, they are sending a tech out Tuesday to check on the colors and address an HDMI issue that creeped up.

I tried the THX optimizer on the Toy Story 3 bluray, and for the brightness and contrast adjustments I cand see the bars to adjust to no matter where the settings are. But the blurays do look incredible.

weird
post #325 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:

no, no way to adjust the Direct Tv box. I just spoke with Panasonic, they are sending a tech out Tuesday to check on the colors and address an HDMI issue that creeped up.

I tried the THX optimizer on the Toy Story 3 bluray, and for the brightness and contrast adjustments I cand see the bars to adjust to no matter where the settings are. But the blurays do look incredible.

weird

have you change the hdmi/dvi rgb range to Nonstandard. This is the only way the see the bars to adjust.
post #326 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I didn't know this. Do you have a link?
post #327 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Just got a P50S30 but I'm having Fluctuating Brightness issues, on scene changes parts of the screen will blink or change hue, on fades to black it sometimes fades to grey.

When you guys play this http://www.filefactory.com/file/c3a1...Brightness.mp4 does the grey scale on the bottom right stay the same or does it change a lot?

Dynamic Brightness.mp4.zip 365.6513671875k . file
post #328 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Like I said, I bought this one...the last...the demo.

It's not in place yet, but I tried it for about two hours this week. I can clearly see a nice Costco logo almost always visible at the bottom right. I know it comes from the videos they play all day long in the store. That's strong IR...or worst, burn-in. I hope I can make it dissapear myself. Otherwise I am really impressed with that tv in my living room. Tried some HD videos from usb drive and...just...wow. (Cinema mode). Well...I have 90 days...I will call their support line also for sure to speak about it.
post #329 of 523 Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson de Ville View Post

Just got a P50S30 but I'm having Fluctuating Brightness issues, on scene changes parts of the screen will blink or change hue, on fades to black it sometimes fades to grey.

When you guys play this http://www.filefactory.com/file/c3a1...Brightness.mp4 does the grey scale on the bottom right stay the same or does it change a lot?

I picked up a 50s30 at Costco about two weeks ago and have this problem. On the test pattern provided by Jaxson the brightness on the grey scale at the bottom right chart is all over the place. I frequently notice fbr during normal viewing, especially blu ray. I thought with the price I paid I wouldn't be too picky, but it's really annoying.

These are all gone at my Costco, so it's either call Panasonic for a fix or return and pay almost double for a 2012 set. Has anyone else had the a-board swap or SD firmware fix on one of these S sets and did it correct the problem?
post #330 of 523 Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syder View Post

have you change the hdmi/dvi rgb range to Nonstandard. This is the only way the see the bars to adjust.

No I have not, I will try and report back, Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page