Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 523 Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafret View Post

Interesting Panasonic confirms that as the cause of the fbr. But how do they explain TV's that don't exhibit fbr like my P60S30.

For the record when and how did Panasonic say that?

Tom

This was a week or two ago. I talked to one tech and he went through my settings with me and recorded what they were. Then about 10 minutes later, another tech called me back and we had a conversation about it. He maintained that it was not a "problem", but that this "non-problem" is caused by the energy star software. Funny how they created a firmware revision for the issue on standard mode, but have not bothered to create another revision for cinema or custom. The did recommend that I use cinema or custom modes for this issue. The only problem with that is the fact that Cinema mode is the mode I use 100% of the time and where I see the fbr easily.

I don't believe my tv is a lemon, I believe that all of them do it, just some people are more sensitive to it than others. I didn't see the "banding" issue until the other day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 523 Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

@ANTHONYBEME My suggestion: buy a box to stream your movies and don't rely on the Panasonic.

Really? That the Panny has DLNA built in was part of the reason we bought it. Eliminating a second "box", a different remote, and confusing my wife. It's advertised with DLNA, and I'd like it to fulfill what it touts.

That's like saying you buy a car with XM radio built in. But if you want to listen to streamed music, go buy the accessory to connect your cell pone and listen to Pandora instead.

Besides, Apple TV, Rouku, TiVo... don't do DLNA.
My BluRay player does, but will only stream MPEG-2 files, not MPEG-4.
So "buy a box" for the theatre room didn't work either. :\\

"Can you hear me now?"
post #423 of 523 Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM

I purchased this tv (42") 01/02/12 and now there is a noise in the upper corner sounding like a fan.....is this right? It is starting to be VERY audible where I hear it over the show I am watching.........a little tap will get it to quit for a while. Called the Panasonic tech today and he said that it is normal for the tv make some noise but Im saying not this noise. I now need to call them back when I have time and plug the tv into a separate outlet to isolate it from my hts5000 power center as a troubleshooting measure.

Anyone else heard of this possibly a fan issue?
post #424 of 523 Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachLewi View Post

I purchased this tv (42") 01/02/12 and now there is a noise in the upper corner sounding like a fan.....is this right? It is starting to be VERY audible where I hear it over the show I am watching.........a little tap will get it to quit for a while. Called the Panasonic tech today and he said that it is normal for the tv make some noise but Im saying not this noise. I now need to call them back when I have time and plug the tv into a separate outlet to isolate it from my hts5000 power center as a troubleshooting measure.

Anyone else heard of this possibly a fan issue?

Does this set even have a fan? I'll have to look when I get home.

My 2008 46" has a bank of fans all along the top of the set and I've never heard them once even while sitting directly in front of the panel. (I just moved it into my office last week... Upgrade!)
So, even if it IS a fan I would have to say: no, that's not normal!

My 50S30 has an audible buzz that my 2008 did NOT have but it's only noticeable when the tv is muted and then only on a bright screen. Hardly something I could complain about. Especially as the supposed reason the old pannys DIDN'T buzz was the 2 panes of glass that essentially blocked the noise... AND added another 30lbs to the weight as well as a double-image when viewed too far off to the side. I'll take a little buzz.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #425 of 523 Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitbills View Post

Reflectivity on these two models is similar though, as neither of them have an anti-reflective screen and are both much more reflective than the next-level-up ST30 and D6500

The S DOES have a filter, contrary to popular belief, it's just that it's not very good!

I know this because my 2008 Panasonic has an "AR" filter and it's actually more reflective than the S. The S isn't as mirror-like as some sets I've seen but it does seem to soak up ambient light in a room.

--Carl Sagan
post #426 of 523 Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:

The S DOES have a filter, contrary to popular belief, it's just that it's not very good!

I know this because my 2008 Panasonic has an "AR" filter and it's actually more reflective than the S. The S isn't as mirror-like as some sets I've seen but it does seem to soak up ambient light in a room.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surpised with how well this set diffuses ambient light. The Insignia that this set replaced had a regular piece of glass that might as well have been a mirror. It literally had zero treatment of any type and was horrible. When the S30 was delivered, I thought they had brought an LCD tv by mistake at first. I am really very happy with how well this tv diffuses light, especially considering it is a glass screen.

Now, if I could get the fbr and horizontal banding to go away, I would be completely happy.
post #427 of 523 Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass5150 View Post

Well, it doesn't matter where a set is purchased anymore than it matters what faucet you drink out of in your house. It's all the same...

As for the "only" 900 lines...lol. Motion resolution is pretty irrelevant. A Kuro 150 is only rated at 900, but I don't see people tossing them into the trash to get the latest VT30. You won't notice the difference and if you do, its the higher level panasonics that perform worse in this area. It is simply marketing at its best.

And all panasonics are have the same issues, which have all been resolved for the most part in the latest models.

I agree mine is november build...no issues and i look for them all

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #428 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

I agree mine is november build...no issues and i look for them all

Don't Do that, for the love of god! Ignorance is bliss! My wife doesn't see the brightness fluctuation or the horizontal banding. Proof that it does exist, just not everyone sees it. Enjoy your tv and don't look for the "features" that this model has
post #429 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 AM

I got the display model at costco the 60" with 920 playing hours for 900+ tax. I noticed 2 dot scratch on the screen and I am a bit concern if that could cause any issues later on. So far I don't see any of the reported problems when I test drove this tv set with dvd and bluray action movies and some ota signals. I did tweek all the enhancements off. But the picture is surprisingly good. Aside from the scratch on the screen and the weak tv speakers I may just keep this plasma. Could that scratch be on the filter?
post #430 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iforsevilla View Post

I got the display model at costco the 60" with 920 playing hours for 900+ tax. I noticed 2 dot scratch on the screen and I am a bit concern if that could cause any issues later on. So far I don't see any of the reported problems when I test drove this tv set with dvd and bluray action movies and some ota signals. I did tweek all the enhancements off. But the picture is surprisingly good. Aside from the scratch on the screen and the weak tv speakers I may just keep this plasma. Could that scratch be on the filter?

Hard to say without a screenshot. If could just be a speck of fly poop. :P

If it isn't an actual crack, I wouldn't worry about it.
post #431 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does this set even have a fan? I'll have to look when I get home.

My 2008 46" has a bank of fans all along the top of the set and I've never heard them once even while sitting directly in front of the panel. (I just moved it into my office last week... Upgrade!)
So, even if it IS a fan I would have to say: no, that's not normal!

My 50S30 has an audible buzz that my 2008 did NOT have but it's only noticeable when the tv is muted and then only on a bright screen. Hardly something I could complain about. Especially as the supposed reason the old pannys DIDN'T buzz was the 2 panes of glass that essentially blocked the noise... AND added another 30lbs to the weight as well as a double-image when viewed too far off to the side. I'll take a little buzz.

i had an 85u, think they were 08

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #432 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Seems like there may not be a fan.....
I was told by my father that he had a buzz noise in the same spot mine is (upper left in back if looking at screen). There is a board there that was making noise on his and after the troubleshooting with panasonic they sent a tech out and they replaced that board with no change.....same buzz. He ended up putting the original board back in and the sound ended up going away on it's own. I haven't heard mine in a few days now so I will just cross my fingers for now.....or till warranty time gets closer.
post #433 of 523 Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

I must say i was skeptical about this set...it was cheap and reports of fbr and green and pink spots...but it has been flawless and the pq is stunning unless youre an absolute videophile...maybe its because its a newer build..who knows....but the picture has improved greatly since i bought it about a month ago....i use some custom settings i found online and its been awesome

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #434 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Very happy with my 60s30 also. I have it on cinema and it's good in day or night lighting. Got it brand new in box from Wal-mart for $798 last week.
post #435 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p928s View Post

Very happy with my 60s30 also. I have it on cinema and it's good in day or night lighting. Got it brand new in box from Wal-mart for $798 last week.

Can I ask how far away you are sitting from your 60s30? Also what type of content do you typically watch (HD cable, BR)?

So the S30 does indeed have some sort of AR filter correct?

Thanks,

-Guru
post #436 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM

It's in a large room - about 500 sq ft - so closest viewing distance is >10'. The room has LOTS of windows but they're off to the side so I have not had any issues with reflections. The screen definitely has some sort of AR coating.
Most of what I watch is over-the-air HD programming or Netflix. Occasionally bluray. All look fantastic on this set. Nice also to have ARC so I could disconnect the fiber audio cable. It's a lot of TV for the $.
post #437 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p928s View Post

Really? Did you pick it up in the store or was it delivered to you? Online purchase?
post #438 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Seen them at Wally World myself. A couple locations had special purchased the 60S30 I suspect. Right off the isle...not wall displayed. Fantastic value at that price IMO.
post #439 of 523 Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 PM

Watching the ACC tournament right now. All the colors, wood floor, fleshtones are natural and consistent across the screen. The TV seamlessly displays the fast motion in the game. I'm loving it.
post #440 of 523 Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 PM

I still notice the fluctuating brightness issue on my tv, but I've just learned to deal with it. It is really one of the only cons I have with this tv. That and the buzzing sound it emits is slightly louder than my other plasmas.
post #441 of 523 Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Would it be possible to get a moderator to join these threads? I've apparently been taking turns posting in each and it would be nice to pool resources here so that the few of us S proletariats could organize!

In all seriousness, though, we're having good conversation over there and I would hate for someone to miss out because they're subbed here instead of there!

--Carl Sagan
post #442 of 523 Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Would it be possible to get a moderator to join these threads? I've apparently been taking turns posting in each and it would be nice to pool resources here so that the few of us S proletariats could organize!

In all seriousness, though, we're having good conversation over there and I would hate for someone to miss out because they're subbed here instead of there!

Where is there

PSN ID - MikeyRaw8
post #443 of 523 Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyraw View Post

Where is there

"Panasonic S30 Series (NOT ST) Picture Settings"

--Carl Sagan
post #444 of 523 Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the OFFICIAL thread but all the good stuff is going down in the other!

--Carl Sagan
post #445 of 523 Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM

I now have owned my P60S30 for almost two months now and have about 300+ hours of viewing time.

About when should the FB start rearing it's ugly head? And if it hasn't by now does that mean my tv won't be afflicted?

Tom
post #446 of 523 Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM

I rarely post here.. but i must tell you that i am experiencing the random brightness going up and down on my TC-P60S30 also.
I wasn't sure if i was just seeing things, i figured maybe the setting for "adjust based on ambient light" was on, but it's not. Glad i checked the forum to see if other's were having the same issue.
Now, what do we do about this issue??
post #447 of 523 Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM

I've noticed that while watching some networks(on my 50S30), TLC, the screen image is larger than the screen (words, titles etc run off the edge of the screen). Have tried adjusting the screen to all available options (full, zoom, justified, 4x3, H-fill) and still there are words not fitting in the viewable screen space, and yes it is a HD channel from my cable provider at 1080i. This does not happeen with my 65" mits RPTV. Any ideas out there, thanx
post #448 of 523 Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas69 View Post

I've noticed that while watching some networks(on my 50S30), TLC, the screen image is larger than the screen (words, titles etc run off the edge of the screen). Have tried adjusting the screen to all available options (full, zoom, justified, 4x3, H-fill) and still there are words not fitting in the viewable screen space, and yes it is a HD channel from my cable provider at 1080i. This does not happeen with my 65" mits RPTV. Any ideas out there, thanx

If you have a STB or HTPC try the zoom/format settings there.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #449 of 523 Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafret View Post

I now have owned my P60S30 for almost two months now and have about 300+ hours of viewing time.

About when should the FB start rearing it's ugly head? And if it hasn't by now does that mean my tv won't be afflicted?

Tom

I see it all the time.. But strangely it doesn't bother me *that much.

--Carl Sagan
post #450 of 523 Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delavoie View Post

I rarely post here.. but i must tell you that i am experiencing the random brightness going up and down on my TC-P60S30 also.
I wasn't sure if i was just seeing things, i figured maybe the setting for "adjust based on ambient light" was on, but it's not. Glad i checked the forum to see if other's were having the same issue.
Now, what do we do about this issue??

Hmmm... Nothing? Yep, I think nothing sounds about right.

In all seriousness-- they've already patched this issue. Yeah, if you downloaded the most recent firmware your set is 'fixed'. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

--Carl Sagan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page