Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxS30 Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 523 Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Buzzing sound.

Just a quick note for others who may be having similar problem. My TC-P50S30, manufactured the end of 2011, put in service 1/2012, started having a buzzing noise from the upper right corner of the set when viewed from the rear, varying with screen brightness/whiteness. Plasmas as a whole have some buzzing associated with them, but this is clearly not normal and was new. After lots of Google research, I have determined that the noise on 2010 sets is usually due to a cracked transformer ferrite and has been cured by wrapping the transformer with zip ties to act like a clamp. Google it on your own if you want more details. However, for sets made in 2011, the cause is loose screws on the boards, very commonly the board near the upper right corner as viewed from the rear. The screws themselves don't vibrate, they act as a ground path for the boards and when not tight lose their conductivity. After removing the rear panel, I found one screw, the usual one implicated, able to be tightened easily about a 1/4 turn. This eliminated the buzz right away. Several others were slightly loose on other boards. I tightened them all up. Note, Panasonic makes a replacement screw kit for this reason. The new screws have split type lock washers on them. If my screws loosen up again, I may go for the new screw set, or maybe blue loctite instead. Hope this helps others.

Connecticut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 523 Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I've got the buzzing very bad. My set is still under the two year warranty so maybe I'll sit on death hold and see if Panasonic will send a technician out to tighten the screws. You'd think that after this many years making sets that Panny wouldn't be making these kind of mistakes...
I guess I shouldn't complain too much as my brand new FR-S needs to have the Toyota part of the engine's fuel injection system ripped out and replaced.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #513 of 523 Old 09-03-2013, 02:34 AM

I have a few question about this TV which I have had for over a year or so.

1) Does labeling the inputs make a difference in any way? Eg. HDMI 1 to GAME etc... I expect no.

2) Is their a difference in plugging things into either HDMI 1 or 2? They are labeled different. I have a PC in HDMI 1 and XBox in HDMI 2. Neither HDMI is labeled as I said above.

3) The ATI/AMD card I have has detected the TV and set itself as 'default' to Ycbcr 4:4:4. Is this correct for the TV? The PC connected is only used through the TV and only plays TV programs/films. No games.

4) I use the resolution of 720p as I can't read text/internet otherwise. Should I tick or un-tick the option in the ATI/AMD driver for GPU scaling? Currently it is on.

5) I have noticed you guys talking about HDMI content detection. I my UK TV I have this in Setup/Link settings. HDMI content detection Off/Auto. It is off by default. What is it? It's a universal on or off it seems. I could be wrong.

Wonder if it improves picture with PC and XBox? Also would it create more frames lag?

Would be VERY grateful for any suggestions. Thanks all.
post #514 of 523 Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 PM

I bought mine probably more than 2 years ago and now I have the red light blinking 7 times with no picture or power. From what little research I've done it seems it can be a few things, loose connections, faulty card or failed plasma screen.

Anyone else have similar issues? Would like to hear from the community.

Thanks,
Bret
post #515 of 523 Old 09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapco View Post

I bought mine probably more than 2 years ago and now I have the red light blinking 7 times with no picture or power. From what little research I've done it seems it can be a few things, loose connections, faulty card or failed plasma screen.

Most likely it is a SC/SU/SD board failure due to faulty firmware. If you have the boards replaced, be sure to have the revised Panasonic firmware installed.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #516 of 523 Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM

It just so happens my S30 just had the 7 blinking lights of death last night. Panasonic wanting $35 to tell me what could be wrong with it. A little internet research showed it's probably a fried board. Not sure what my next steps are going to be....really p'od. I can only get 24 months out of a TV? Was thinking of getting the ZT60 but not so sure about Panny now. My Kuro pro-110fd is still marvelous at 4 1/2 years old.
post #517 of 523 Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Hey guys, was wondering how I can get the snow/salt and pepper to show up on this tv? I have some image retention and would like to just have the "snow" on the screen for a few hours to see what happens. Whenever I switch it to ant/cable, the snow shows up, but then goes black, and a caption pops up, Anyway to have the snow stay on there?
Thanks for any info.
post #518 of 523 Old 01-23-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olp79 View Post

Hey guys, was wondering how I can get the snow/salt and pepper to show up on this tv? I have some image retention and would like to just have the "snow" on the screen for a few hours to see what happens. Whenever I switch it to ant/cable, the snow shows up, but then goes black, and a caption pops up, Anyway to have the snow stay on there?
Thanks for any info.

Go to amazon and pick up the Disney wow disc-- it features a 'pixel flipper' which you can use. To be honest, though, just watching tv is the best way to alleviate IR (assuming it's a program without the logo or static graphic that caused the IR in the first place).

--Carl Sagan
post #519 of 523 Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Go to amazon and pick up the Disney wow disc-- it features a 'pixel flipper' which you can use. To be honest, though, just watching tv is the best way to alleviate IR (assuming it's a program without the logo or static graphic that caused the IR in the first place).

Thanks for the reply.

I actually ordered one of these discs to calibrate the set, but seems to be taking forever for delivery.

I bought the set used (probably not the best idea) for a couple hundred, checked the hours, and it "only" has 1500 hours on it. Now that I have it home, I can see some burn in/image retention. Looks like a computer screen to me.
Besides the Disney Disc, what else is recommended to get rid of, or at least reduce the burn in?

Thanks for any info.
post #520 of 523 Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said, just running the display with varying content will suffice. Depending on the damage you may or may not be able to alleviate it. Persistent IR is typically caused by static logos or computer graphics 'aging' the phosphors in those areas more than the rest of the screen. The only real way to combat that kind of abuse is to continue to watch the display (or use the pixel flipper or screen wipe)-- eventually, with any luck, the wear between the affected areas and the surrounding panel will reach a more uniform state of wear and you'll not notice it. Sucks I know.

--Carl Sagan
post #521 of 523 Old 06-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Somehow my TC-P50S30 is exhibiting motion interpolation for the first time in the 3 years i've owned it. i have no idea how this happened. from what i can find online, it has some software called Intelligent Frame Creation? I can't find an option for this anywhere, however. Can someone tell me how to turn this off? Thanks very much.
post #522 of 523 Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Somehow my TC-P50S30 is exhibiting motion interpolation for the first time in the 3 years i've owned it. i have no idea how this happened. from what i can find online, it has some software called Intelligent Frame Creation? I can't find an option for this anywhere, however. Can someone tell me how to turn this off? Thanks very much.
Really? Normally this is an option in the picture settings but your TV shouldn't have it as only the ST and up came equipped. Are you sure what you're seeing is being caused by the TV? What exactly are you seeing?
post #523 of 523 Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 PM

I've been trying to find an IR remote app for my Galaxy S5 phone that will control my TC-P42S30 but have had no luck. I've tried at least a dozen from the Google Play Store, including the two "official" apps from Panasonic, but none work. Has anybody had any luck with an Android app that will control this TV? I have no problems controlling other devices from the S5, just this TV. I have only downloaded and tried the free ones so far, because I'm afraid to pay $8-10 for an app that doesn't work, but I gladly will if I know it's good.

J Doug
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page