Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxS30 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 523 Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a shame...i'm planning on buying this TV (50") soon. I will plug my laptop on it (HDMI) once in a while. I have a Western Digital TV Live that I will plug on HDMI also.

But I'm no more a huge gamer....

I will have a WII too, on component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 523 Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM

Purchased a TC-60ps34 (Costco's version of the P60S30), then broke it in using D_Nice phosphor ageing settings (Thank You, Sir!). Picked up Disney's WOW Bluray Calibration disc, gathered my wife and our 21 yr old daughter (They got better eyes than mine) and ran through the WOW Calibration tools. Here are the settings, when done:

Picture Mode = Custom
Contrast = 57
Brightness = 68
Color = 53
Sharpness = 23
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Warm 2
Color Mgmt = Off
C.A.T.S. = Off
Video NR = Off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
Screen Fomat = Full
HD Size = Size 2

HDMI Settings (No Changes Here)

ADVANCED PICTURE
Block NR = Off
Mosquito NR = Off
Black Level = Light
3:2 Pulldown = Off
24P direct in = 60HZ

Made no changes in the Service Menu.

Your milage may vary. I prefer these settings to what others have posted, (Even D_Nice's ST30 settings) though I do have them saved, on paper. Who knows how the set will behave after 1000 hours, or even 3000 hours, of service. May need those settings someday . . .
post #63 of 523 Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamosset View Post

Purchased a TC-60ps34 (Costco's version of the P60S30), then broke it in using D_Nice phosphor ageing settings (Thank You, Sir!).

Where can I find those settings for the S30? I just purchased one and want to break it in right.
post #64 of 523 Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM

lamosset, just tried your settings. Not bad. Its a good starting point and maybe narrow it down once we get some more hours on the set. Thanks for posting!
post #65 of 523 Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM

AVS site will not allow me to place full link inside this missive.Link is for another site. Just google:

/showthread.php?9134-2011-Panasonic-Settings-Issues-Thread

Hope this helps. The settings are for the ST30 and GT30 models. Looks good on S30, as well, but I prefer those I ended up with after using Disney's WOW calibration disc.

Again, your milage may vary. My monitor is probably every so slightly different than your own.
post #66 of 523 Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 AM

Hello all, just purchased my first big screen, 1080p TV! After much research, I chose the P50S30 over a Samsung 46" LED. I got it today around noon, and its going in my living room with 4 eight feet tall windows that face south. As soon as I turned it on, I almost was about to call and return it! The picture was very washed out, and I could see myself, and my whole living room in the TV. At night, I usually watch TV with all my lights on. I was incredibly worried it would be just as bad, but good news is there was barely any reflection or glare from my lights! Avatar in 1080i from my cable box looked absolutely amazing!! It's not as BRIGHT as my LED, and maybe a little less crisp, but the picture looks very warm, real, and beautiful! So I'm doing the 100hr breakin with the slides reccomended for the ST30 now, but I keep seeing people list thier settings for the S30 with things like "temp". Where are these settings located? All I have are contrast, brightness, tint, color and sharpness. Is there another menu with more settings? Also, is there a "reccomended" setting for daytime viewing that will greatly increase the brigthness? Or am I pretty much screwed from watching my TV during the day?
post #67 of 523 Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM

I'm running D-Nice's 100 hour slide show. Does anyone else notice when the green slides show up, in the bottom middle, it appears as if the screen is almost "dirty", its like weird discoloration. It only appears on the green slides. The other colors it's completely gone. Is this normal?

EDIT: So I've compared the green slides from my LED to my S30. The colors just don't look "right". There seems to be some dark, almost black throughout the image also. The red and blue and everything else is perfect. Any one have any idea if this is normal?
post #68 of 523 Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Well, I bought this TV last Saturday at Costco and at first glance was thinking of taking it back. I wasn't too sure I'd ever get skin tone to look good enough for my liking? Now after watching the set for 4/5 days and adjusting the heck out of it, I'm really tempted to keep it and every time I turn it on it strikes me as a darn striking good picture for a sub 1k TV! Heck if I just keep it 2 years and then upgrade, I don't see how I can get hurt...Still deciding though?

One thing I would really like to ask one of the more knowledgeable folks though:

I'm running HDMI 2 on a HTPC Bluray 1920x1080 24Hz (I've also tried selecting 60Hz and it stays there for a while then drops back to 24Hz?). The thing is, I have a band of un-used screen around the outside? In the "Aspect Adjustment Menu" when I select "Full" and HD Size "Size 2" My understanding , if I'm reading everything correctly is, I should have the entire 1920x1080 pixels displayed on the screen in an unaltered or unstretched fashion? The thing is, I still have this 2 inch band. Also, what is weird is, when I select "Size 1" the band shrinks to only about 1", I would have thought it got bigger not snaller? the menu says it displays 95%?

I've poured through the video settings on my PC and it seems nothing is shrinking the signal? I keep coming back to something in the TV? My Sony Bravia had a 1:1 Pixel setting where when you put 1920x1080 on the screen, it filled the screen perfectly. I realize this set probably doesn't have this but is there something in the service menu I can adjust to get it close? If so can somebody tell me how I get into AND then adjust it?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!
post #69 of 523 Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Yahknow1, what did you decide on for your final best looking settings?

I feel like I can't at all get the settings right on this set. They all seem either very washed out (in cinema mode), and on custom mode they look so bright and vibrant the colors almost look fake. I can't seem to find a good middle ground. I am still playing with it after a few weeks and still might take it back and opt for the ST30.
post #70 of 523 Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Goo

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahknow1 View Post

Well, I bought this TV last Saturday at Costco and at first glance was thinking of taking it back. I wasn't too sure I'd ever get skin tone to look good enough for my liking? Now after watching the set for 4/5 days and adjusting the heck out of it, I'm really tempted to keep it and every time I turn it on it strikes me as a darn striking good picture for a sub 1k TV! Heck if I just keep it 2 years and then upgrade, I don't see how I can get hurt...Still deciding though?

One thing I would really like to ask one of the more knowledgeable folks though:

I'm running HDMI 2 on a HTPC Bluray 1920x1080 24Hz (I've also tried selecting 60Hz and it stays there for a while then drops back to 24Hz?). The thing is, I have a band of un-used screen around the outside? In the "Aspect Adjustment Menu" when I select "Full" and HD Size "Size 2" My understanding , if I'm reading everything correctly is, I should have the entire 1920x1080 pixels displayed on the screen in an unaltered or unstretched fashion? The thing is, I still have this 2 inch band. Also, what is weird is, when I select "Size 1" the band shrinks to only about 1", I would have thought it got bigger not snaller? the menu says it displays 95%?

I've poured through the video settings on my PC and it seems nothing is shrinking the signal? I keep coming back to something in the TV? My Sony Bravia had a 1:1 Pixel setting where when you put 1920x1080 on the screen, it filled the screen perfectly. I realize this set probably doesn't have this but is there something in the service menu I can adjust to get it close? If so can somebody tell me how I get into AND then adjust it?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Have another look at your htpc settings, I know with my ATI graphics card it does underscan by default, this creates that border around the image.

Size 2 is 1:1 for your display.
post #71 of 523 Old 09-13-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post

Have another look at your htpc settings, I know with my ATI graphics card it does underscan by default, this creates that border around the image.

Size 2 is 1:1 for your display.

Oh thank you Goo!!! that's Probably what it is! I'll do a search for "underscan" setting and try to find where to set that? My video card IS an ATI Radeon HD 5450 so chances are that is exactly what's going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmedic707 View Post

Yahknow1, what did you decide on for your final best looking settings? I feel like I can't at all get the settings right on this set. They all seem either very washed out (in cinema mode), and on custom mode they look so bright and vibrant the colors almost look fake. I can't seem to find a good middle ground. I am still playing with it after a few weeks and still might take it back and opt for the ST30.

Here is what I've come up with, although I just started with what others had already posted and massaged them a little to my liking, but see what you think. If you like them thank lamosset, he's the one who mainly came up with them, I think they're close.

Bluray viewing: HDMI 1
Picture Mode = Custom
Contrast = 58
Brightness = 72
Color = 51
Sharpness = 23
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Warm 2
Color Mgmt = Off
C.A.T.S. = Off
Video NR = Off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
Screen Fomat = Full
HD Size = Size 2

HDMI Settings (No Changes)

ADVANCED PICTURE
Block NR = Off
Mosquito NR = Off
Black Level = Light
3:2 Pulldown = Auto
24P direct in = 60HZ

HDMI2 DISH hd:
Picture Mode = Custom
Contrast = 57
Brightness = 72
Color = 39
Sharpness = 5
Tint = 0
Color Temp = Warm 2
Color Mgmt = Off
C.A.T.S. = Off
Video NR = Off

ASPECT ADJUSTMENTS
Screen Fomat = Full
HD Size = Size 2

HDMI Settings (No Changes Here)

ADVANCED PICTURE
Block NR = Off
Mosquito NR = Off
Black Level = Light
3:2 Pulldown = Off
24P direct in = 60HZ
post #72 of 523 Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 PM

If you're looking for settings that give a little more "pop" and makes it a little more crisp and vibrant, you can try out my settings. I downloaded some calibration images onto my SD card and calibrated my TV that way. The settings are:

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 70
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 20
Color Temp: Warm 2
Color Mgmt: Off
C.A.T.S: Off (but am considering turning it on, will test it out during day tomororw)
Video NR: Off

Aspect Adjustment:
Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2 (so it doesn't crop 5% of picture)

Advanced Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Light

These settigns work great for daytime viewing also, I have my TV in my living room with four 8 feet tall ceilings that face south. The only negative is this model lacks the anti-reflective filter, so you will pretty much see your whole room in the TV from the refelction. I know the ST30 has an anti reflective filter, but I saw a picture online of one taken in a brightly lit store and you could see everything from the reflection (I beleive I saw it on CNET, and you can see one of the reviewers in the TV from the reflection). So for the extra money it costs to get the ST30, I don't think it's worth paying JUST for the anti reflective filter on it.

Do any long time plasma owners know of any viable solution to reduce reflection from light? So far I would be 100% satisfied with this TV if i could reduce the reflection even 25%. If I can't figure out how to reduce the reflection, that 100% satisfaction is going to drop to about 50% satisfaction since it's very distracting during the day which I do about half my TV watching.
post #73 of 523 Old 09-19-2011, 10:06 PM

I Just can't do it, can't bring myself to take this set back and the picture is beautiful(TC60PS34) IMHO? I've been into Best Buy a couple times comparing the S with the ST model and the difference is just not worth spending the money!

Now if by some fluke Costco were to bring the 65" ST down to within say $400(~$1500-$1700) I'd have to rethink it but I'm extremely happy with this set as it stands right now and I'm the type who'll spend the extra $$ rather than live with something I'm not happy with.

To tell you the truth, after Randy panned the set, I was really bummed and looking to exchange it...but like I said, must be getting old cause between the two models I couldn't tell enough of a difference to justify the added expense?
post #74 of 523 Old 09-20-2011, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahknow1 View Post

I Just can't do it, can't bring myself to take this set back and the picture is beautiful(TC60PS34) IMHO? I've been into Best Buy a couple times comparing the S with the ST model and the difference is just not worth spending the money!

Now if by some fluke Costco were to bring the 65" ST down to within say $400(~$1500-$1700) I'd have to rethink it but I'm extremely happy with this set as it stands right now and I'm the type who'll spend the extra $$ rather than live with something I'm not happy with.

To tell you the truth, after Randy panned the set, I was really bummed and looking to exchange it...but like I said, must be getting old cause between the two models I couldn't tell enough of a difference to justify the added expense?

Its hard to tell differences in tvs at stores like best Buy in my experience. i know my older C2 looks nothing like the one in best buy did (picture wise). Though i have the st30 and my dad has the s34. Out of the box we both liked the st30 more. But after running slides and changing the setting they are both very similar. Havent watched a movie on my dads s34 but he enjoys it and likes it and thats definitely whats most important in my book. At the price he got it we cant complain either!

PSN- Velillen
post #75 of 523 Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 AM

hey guys, i just picked up my 50" panny s30 on saturday and got a few worries.

1. ive asked many people about break in, and im kinda confused what to use to break it in. Do i use the Download Break In DVD (SVCD) from the stickies or something else specifically for our s30?

2. Will these settings i see posted work well for my plasma or should i get a dvd like AVS hd 709 or that disney one to help me calibrate?

3. Also i heard the panny tv sound isnt great but when i go above 30 in volume the sound/bass distorts and sounds fugly... is that normal or do i have defective s30?

Ive also been going back and forth on keeping this or downgrading to a 42 inch to get the st30... If i had the money id pay the extra $300 for the 50" st30
post #76 of 523 Old 09-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Hey guys,

Picked up a new 50"s30 over the weekend to replace an old rear projection Mits that finally gave up on us. Since the old TV only had 1080i capability I was finally looking forward to full 1080p now that i had an HDMI input. The problem I have is no matter what the source (although I have yet to try blu-ray) I can't seem to get the 1080p to respond when using the info button on the remote. Direct TV says that it is suppose to transmit in 1080p (I have all ready gone in the setup of the Direct receiver and ensured 1080p was chosen) and I realize that even though it is a HD channel they don't always but I have tried all of them and no luck yet.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
post #77 of 523 Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapco View Post

Hey guys,

Picked up a new 50"s30 over the weekend to replace an old rear projection Mits that finally gave up on us. Since the old TV only had 1080i capability I was finally looking forward to full 1080p now that i had an HDMI input. The problem I have is no matter what the source (although I have yet to try blu-ray) I can't seem to get the 1080p to respond when using the info button on the remote. Direct TV says that it is suppose to transmit in 1080p (I have all ready gone in the setup of the Direct receiver and ensured 1080p was chosen) and I realize that even though it is a HD channel they don't always but I have tried all of them and no luck yet.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

If it's reporting 1080i, then I'm going to assume (maybe incorrectly) that 1080i is the highest the channel outputs. Have you tried watching the On Demand channels to see if that outputs in 1080p? I believe DirectTV outputs in 1080p24. I have Time Warner Cable, and the highest the cable box outputs is 1080i. It's funny, on my 27" LCD I never really noticed a difference, and 1080i and 720p looked damn good. On my 50" S30 1080p, I can definately see the difference between 1080i and 1080p on certain movies. Regardless though, 1080i looks amazing! After owing this TV for a week, getting it calibrated by using a combination of D-Nice's settings for the ST30 and Lagom's calibration images, I really love this TV. I see so many people debating about bringing this TV back to spend hunders of extra dollars for the ST30. I can confidently say, save your $300. It took a little bit to get used to the plasma image from LCD/LED but I'm now happy I got a plasma. The ONLY thing I would say the ST30 has that would benefit the average person, is the anti-reflective filter for daytime use. I'm getting used to watching the TV during the day though, and am trying to think of some creative ideas to reduce the reflection in the TV from the light.
post #78 of 523 Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM

I just bought the 60" one, but it seems this set doesn't give you a way to manage RGB color settings. My old low-end LCD set had a "Custom Color Temperature" setting where I could adjust the levels for red, green, and blue individually. I've tried adjusting "Tint" and "Color" but it doesn't beat being able to adjust the RGB values individually. For those of you who haven't received an ISF calibration on this TV, is there a way around this without entering the service menu?
post #79 of 523 Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM

Just picked up a P60S30 (60") from Sears, they did a price match to FRYS and gave me 10% of the difference......couldn't pass this 60" plasma up for under a dime + tax.

I have tried the settings mentioned here on this thread, using CUSTOM and fine tuning the picture. Picture looks AMAZING in HD, and pretty darn good in SD. The other HDTV I have is a Mitsubishi 60" DLP to compare to, and the Panasonic wins hands down. (I also have a VIZIO P4 46" plasma from 2003 that is in spare bedroom that is 480p......but that is "old school" and still works like day 1)
The Panasonic P60S30 is mated to my Panasonic Receiver (2yrs old) and Panasonic BD-80k Blu Ray player (2yrs old) and POLK speakers. I am very impressed so far.

TV prices are falling faster than a brick in the water......and these HDTVs get BETTER and BETTER all the time. Awesome.
post #80 of 523 Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
is it true these sets are 900p and not 1080p, as i read in a spec sheet?
post #81 of 523 Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

is it true these sets are 900p and not 1080p, as i read in a spec sheet?

Not true. They are 1080p but only have 900 lines of motion.
post #82 of 523 Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 AM

I need the right picture settings for my Panasonic - P42S30 for xbox360 gaming its not an 3D tv.
post #83 of 523 Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM

I just got a firmware update for version 1.200 for my p60s30. Does anyone know What the changes are?
post #84 of 523 Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Bump...anyone figure out what different with the new firmware 1.200 yet?
post #85 of 523 Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM

I picked up the Costco version (60PS34) version a couple of months ago. As other people have noted it has a PC (VGA) input but does not have DLNA (despite this being in the specs on the Panasonic web site at one time, they seem to have removed it now). It does appear to have a A/R coating, definitely not glossy.

I am very pleased with the picture in general, even analog TV looks good. The TV's Netflix looks very good (with 9Mbps cable internet!). Why they bothered with the VGA input I don't know, it does not do 1080p and I could not get the built in resolutions to center and/or size correctly. I installed an HDMI video card and all is well.

I notice that Costco is carrying the P60S30 now instead so I wonder if they are making the 60PS34 anymore.

Onto my main question: I setup an HTPC using WMC (Windows 7) and I am noticing a clear lack of quality in the picture compared to the direct input to the TV. I have Cable and it's mostly 1080i. The picture is dull and lacking detail and sometimes faces will have blotchy patches of skin that look like one shade of red or contoured. Is there a name for this effect? I am wondering where to look to fix the problem (tuners, video card, codecs...)?
post #86 of 523 Old 10-30-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

Its hard to tell differences in tvs at stores like best Buy in my experience. i know my older C2 looks nothing like the one in best buy did (picture wise). Though i have the st30 and my dad has the s34. Out of the box we both liked the st30 more. But after running slides and changing the setting they are both very similar. Havent watched a movie on my dads s34 but he enjoys it and likes it and thats definitely whats most important in my book. At the price he got it we cant complain either!

Excellent post, completely agree that once at home these sets look so different
My friend set up a ST30 against a U30 (UK model full hd budget plasma) and once set up they looked very similar in a normal viewing room, the AR filter does make a difference when daylight was coming into the room though
The black levels and contrast are superb and unless your viewing in a room with lots of light (get an ST30 or lcd) it provides a very pleasant viewing experience
Really do not understand all the panning of these budget models
post #87 of 523 Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 AM

I just got the P60S30 at a great price in costco and was ready to return it because of one strange thing: every minute or so the screen would go slightly blurry. I thought it was a defect. Turns out all I had to do is turn off the anti-image retention/pixel orbiter (I also turned the sharpness to 0). I realize this means I have to be a bit more careful about image burn in, but I feel it's worth it to eliminate that weird effect.
post #88 of 523 Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 AM

I have had the 42s30 for a few weeks and am completely happy with the picture and if you don't have the extra money for the ST model don't hesitate to get this plasma tv. I have it in a bright bedroom and though I can't wring out the highest picture just yet, this tv is AWESOME!!!
post #89 of 523 Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Anyone have any loud buzzing noises? I have the P50S30 and as of the last few weeks I have been constantly getting a buzzing noise that is so loud I can hear it over my audio. I'm going to check to see if it's a ground loop problem but I don't think it is. The buzzing is so loud I don't want the TV anymore. I wonder if something like this is covered under warranty? I only bought it 4-5 months ago.
post #90 of 523 Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello:
I purchased the 50S30 a couple of weeks ago. My older Toshiba rear pj tv died after 8 years. I have a 3yo 40inch tosh lcd in the upstairs family room and it is brigh sunllit and throws a great pic. I have a JVC 350PJ in my theater room which I am very happy with. The panny is in that room light controled for daily tv watching. I needed a set and was looking for a 50inch or bigger for a good price as a new tv was not in my budget at the time. I have some friends and family with panny entry level 720p 50inchers that look pretty great. So I was offered a great price to buy this plasma. I really like the pq after using some of the reccomended adjustments above. As I have a light controlled room glare is not much of an issue. The only concern I have is the black levels on this tv. On all the adjustments very dark objects are really dark not showing any texture in fabrics in most cases etc. I have used the adjustment above with some improvement sill a bit of an issue. all else is great. Is this an issue with the tv or me. My Jvc throws a great pic and has great black level but much better definition. Just throwin this out there looking for some imput. Still a great value for the money.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page