Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxS30 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 523 Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Congrats on the purchase matey and welcome to the wonderful world of Panasonic. I'm guessing with some more adjustments and some trial and error, you should be able to find some good picture settings for your environment and preferred viewing. I personally took a good amount of time until I found everything to be just right. Happy viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 523 Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbarrow View Post

Congrats on the purchase matey and welcome to the wonderful world of Panasonic. I'm guessing with some more adjustments and some trial and error, you should be able to find some good picture settings for your environment and preferred viewing. I personally took a good amount of time until I found everything to be just right. Happy viewing.

thanks the more I fool with it the better it gets a real nice unit for the moneyl

post #93 of 523 Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
Just got a great deal at BB on black Friday for the TC-P50s30. This is going to be a Christmas present for my parents. I plan to do the calibration on it and need to know if accessing the service is the same as my 50pz800u. If anyone has RGB setting for this tv that would also be appreciated just so I have an idea if its worth going there.
post #94 of 523 Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Just purchased this one from BB as well - does anyone have recommended offset or Service Mode adjustments for this? I've seen ones for similar models posted everywhere but don't see any of those for this one.

Tamarak: Service Menu is accessed similar to the other models, I've accessed it using the following procedure:

1. On the TV itself, hold down the Vol - Button
2. While holding the volume button down, press info on the TV remote three times. Wait. Depending on what mode you are in, you will notice the display change. Two blue windows will appear in the upper left portion of your screen. This is the service menu. Keep reading if you want to know how to determine the number of hours on the set.
3. Now press the 2″ button on the remote. This will pull up a window with the word SRV-TOOL
4. Press the OK button on the remote. A light blue grid will appear.
5. On the Grid, cursor down (using the remote down arrows) to the row labeled PTCT
6. Cursor to the right. It should be an empty box.
7. Hold MUTE for 3 seconds. The amount of time the display has been on will be next to the word TIME this is in hours and minutes.
post #95 of 523 Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SNOGCEL
Just purchased this one from BB as well - does anyone have recommended offset or Service Mode adjustments for this? I've seen ones for similar models posted everywhere but don't see any of those for this one.

Tamarak: Service Menu is accessed similar to the other models, I've accessed it using the following procedure:

1. On the TV itself, hold down the Vol - Button
2. While holding the volume button down, press info on the TV remote three times. Wait. Depending on what mode you are in, you will notice the display change. Two blue windows will appear in the upper left portion of your screen. This is the service menu. Keep reading if you want to know how to determine the number of hours on the set.
3. Now press the 2″ button on the remote. This will pull up a window with the word SRV-TOOL
4. Press the OK button on the remote. A light blue grid will appear.
5. On the Grid, cursor down (using the remote down arrows) to the row labeled PTCT
6. Cursor to the right. It should be an empty box.
7. Hold MUTE for 3 seconds. The amount of time the display has been on will be next to the word TIME this is in hours and minutes.

Thanks snogcel, I have not found anyone that posted service menu settings for the TC-P50S30. I'm wondering if people are getting a good calibration with out entering the service menu.
post #96 of 523 Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarak View Post

Thanks snogcel, I have not found anyone that posted service menu settings for the TC-P50S30. I'm wondering if people are getting a good calibration with out entering the service menu.

I have calibrated my tv using the disney wow blu ray. I have had tv for a couple months, and am happy with the quality for the price, but not compared to some other tvs.

I for sure believe that service menu settings need to be changed. I talked to someone at best buy once who works with calibration, and he said the tv is very nice when you enter service menu and alter settings.

I will post my basic calibration, but i would love someone to post service menu changes please.

also, would someone post the default service menu settings for some of us wh are willing to mess with them?

what I use

custom
contrast - 75
brightness - 65
color -48
tint - 0
sharpness - 21
color temp - warm 1
off
off
off
size hd 2
post #97 of 523 Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 AM

I just got this TV and I'm having some qualms with it. I'm seeing an affect similar to the dlp rainbow when i look across the screen quickly. It only seems to happen when there is white on the screen. Is this a normal side effect of plasma that I am just able to see cause i was sensitive to the dlp rainbow?
post #98 of 523 Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuboki View Post

I just got this TV and I'm having some qualms with it. I'm seeing an affect similar to the dlp rainbow when i look across the screen quickly. It only seems to happen when there is white on the screen. Is this a normal side effect of plasma that I am just able to see cause i was sensitive to the dlp rainbow?

yes it is normal, i see it too, and on dlp it is real bad for me. i didnt notice it on my 42" but on a 60" i see it, i just try not to move my eyes...lol...
post #99 of 523 Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post

I've had my 50" S30 for about 2 weeks, and it buzzes a good bit when there's a lot of white on the screen. Really only notice it when it's relatively quiet, although sometimes I can hear when there's a bit of noise. Has anybody else seen this?

Edit: Otherwise, love the set. Replacing an aging DLP that I frankly just got tired of

I just got this set $571 42" shipped from amazon black friday.... I like it but there's alot of dot crawl at the top of my screen... and omg the BUZZ.... this is my first plasma.... does this not bother no body? I'm using it as a computer monitor so I'm sitting <3ft from the unit and I can hear it big time when the screen has alot of white, e.g., web pages.... the unit is fantastic in the dark, looks washout in a lit room... but the buzz maybe a deal breaker for me, you can't really hear it when a movie or tv is playing, but thats the thing I'm not using this as a traditional TV, as a computer monitor you're reading in a quiet room... so I constantly hear it, its not louder than my CPU cooler @ 1000rpms but its more higher frequency noise, so its more sharper, thus more annoying than hearing a fan blow air... maybe if the noise was constant...but its not it changes with according to what's being displayed on screen, its at its loudest when alot of white on screen, its a constant reminder... that my screen buzzes....
post #100 of 523 Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Is anyone else experiencing brightness fluctuations with this set? I know it was a problem with ST30/GT30s. It's not a huge deal, and I only notice it every once in a while, but I hadn't heard of this problem in the S30s. My tv is also a November build, so it is kind of surprising.
post #101 of 523 Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 AM

I picked up the S30 at BB on Thanksgiving. Great TV with one exception. I have an older AV receiver and do not have HDMI inputs. I need the optical audio out to function on the TV...I had a dead port on the TV. No problem...I returned it last night. The problem is the new TV now has no sound at all from the internal speakers and while I now have what appears to be a functioning optical audio out no sound from it. Has anyone else experienced issues with Panasonic Quality on the S30? I have been all over the settings on the TV and cannot find a simple explanation...other than getting two bad units in a row.
post #102 of 523 Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyplas View Post

Is anyone else experiencing brightness fluctuations with this set? I know it was a problem with ST30/GT30s. It's not a huge deal, and I only notice it every once in a while, but I hadn't heard of this problem in the S30s. My tv is also a November build, so it is kind of surprising.

Have you turned off "CATS" in the menu?
post #103 of 523 Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Sparty View Post

I picked up the S30 at BB on Thanksgiving. I have an older AV receiver and do not have HDMI inputs. I need the optical audio out to function on the TV. I now have what appears to be a functioning optical audio out no sound from it.

Be sure that your older AV receiver can decode Dolby Digital, which is what the optical output on your TV can output depending on program material.

Also, there is a setting on the TV to turn off the internal speakers.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #104 of 523 Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morzy41 View Post

Have you turned off "CATS" in the menu?

Yep. I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things and being paranoid, but it seems like it happens every so often.

I'm also not too impressed with the picture quality compared to my two year old Panny 42S1.
post #105 of 523 Old 12-10-2011, 09:04 PM

I just got a TC-P42s30 as a warranty replacement for my older TC-P42U2. It seems like a lot of changes have been made and black levels are far superior. Though, there appear to be a ton of vertical shadows in the picture for some reason. Is this normal? I don't really notice it when watching a video, but as soon as I play a video game(Forza 4 for instance), It's quite obvious with motion. While driving, I can see black-ish vertical bars(shadows) in the clouds on screen. Is this considered normal for this set? Or perhaps something that could clear up after the break-in period? I like the new features, but this defect is almost as annoying as the issue I had on my last set. It took me three months of dealing with the local service center to get this replacement, so I really don't feel like having this one exchanged...

Any opinions would be much appreciated, thanks.
post #106 of 523 Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Yep. I don't know, maybe I'm just seeing things and being paranoid, but it seems like it happens every so often.

I'm also not too impressed with the picture quality compared to my two year old Panny 42S1.

There was some defective units out there with this problem. Most of the kinks were worked out with the newest firmware update...Have You updated yet? The easiest way to see if your running old firmware is to turn on the scrolling bar in the anti-image retention menu...now look up at the left hand corner of the screen, do you see a very small blue square? If You do you probably need to connect to ethernet and update your firmware.
post #107 of 523 Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morzy41 View Post

There was some defective units out there with this problem. Most of the kinks were worked out with the newest firmware update...Have You updated yet? The easiest way to see if your running old firmware is to turn on the scrolling bar in the anti-image retention menu...now look up at the left hand corner of the screen, do you see a very small blue square? If You do you probably need to connect to ethernet and update your firmware.

Ran the scrolling bar and didn't see the blue square. I don't think my firmware version is the problem, as the tv is a November build. Maybe I'm just being picky. As of right now, it's not a big deal. But if the problem gets any worse, I'll probably return the tv.
post #108 of 523 Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM

hey guys, just thought I'd throw a couple picture settings... I went through Cinema mode for awhile, but just got bored with the dull (though in a way accurate) look. I played around with Custom as well but found it didn't give me that 'kick' I wanted. I've taken an approach of using Vivid for the brighter look and a geared down Game mode for darker setting. Have a look, give it a try -- hopefully they look as nice on your set as they do on mine:

Vivid:
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 60
Color: 52
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 18
Color Temp: Warm1
Color Mgmt: On
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Game:
Contrast: 69
Brightness: 59
Color: 47
Sharpness: 12
Color Temp: Warm2
Color Mgmt: Off
post #109 of 523 Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogcel View Post

hey guys, just thought I'd throw a couple picture settings... I went through Cinema mode for awhile, but just got bored with the dull (though in a way accurate) look. I played around with Custom as well but found it didn't give me that 'kick' I wanted. I've taken an approach of using Vivid for the brighter look and a geared down Game mode for darker setting. Have a look, give it a try -- hopefully they look as nice on your set as they do on mine:

Vivid:
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 60
Color: 52
Sharpness: 18
Color Temp: Warm1
Color Mgmt: On

Game:
Contrast: 69
Brightness: 59
Color: 47
Sharpness: 12
Color Temp: Warm2
Color Mgmt: Off

Run spears and munsil and plug those settings in. You'll find that they have far far far too much contrast. Unless you are putting this tv in a sunroom I would use custom on a high panel setting and calibrate it yourself. Compromise. Either that or you should have bought an LCD.
post #110 of 523 Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kramer View Post

Run spears and munsil and plug those settings in. You'll find that they have far far far too much contrast. Unless you are putting this tv in a sunroom I would use custom on a high panel setting and calibrate it yourself. Compromise. Either that or you should have bought an LCD.

I'll have to check that out... I used the free AVS calibration videos on my set. That actually served as the basis for these settings.

When I feel like a crisp bright feel I go for the vivid and when I want darker I go for the Game mode. No need to compromise.
post #111 of 523 Old 12-16-2011, 01:06 PM

I purchased the 42" S30 (November 2011 build) for my bedroom and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not running the break-in slides, but I always make sure that I have a full screen picture with the default standard picture mode. It's a dull picture, but still crisp with decent colors. I'll be trying some of the suggested picture settings once I hit the 100 hour mark. I've also set up a few of my friends with Panasonic plasmas and am very impressed with the product. I'm even considering selling my 50" Pioneer Kuro to purchase a 65" VT30.

Attachment 233631
LL

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #112 of 523 Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone know the official and 3rd party wifi adaptor for this set?
post #113 of 523 Old 12-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

Anyone know the official and 3rd party wifi adaptor for this set?

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ption2_1a.html

"I'm suffering from the dreaded upgrade bug"
post #114 of 523 Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:

Ran the scrolling bar and didn't see the blue square. I don't think my firmware version is the problem, as the tv is a November build. Maybe I'm just being picky. As of right now, it's not a big deal. But if the problem gets any worse, I'll probably return the tv.

I have a November build as well, and I'm having the same fluctuating brightness problem. I have the latest firmware (updated last night to 1.3(?)). I've sent 2 email in to Panasonic and haven't received a response on either. I'm going to try calling today.

It's incredibly bad on a dark movie like the last Harry Potter. From a bright scene to a dark scene, it's very noticeable. Just after the dark scene comes up, the picture brightens. On X-men First Class, it happens just after the 43 minute mark (Magneto standing with the door behind him).
post #115 of 523 Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_slappy View Post

I have a November build as well, and I'm having the same fluctuating brightness problem. I have the latest firmware (updated last night to 1.3(?)). I've sent 2 email in to Panasonic and haven't received a response on either. I'm going to try calling today.

It's incredibly bad on a dark movie like the last Harry Potter. From a bright scene to a dark scene, it's very noticeable. Just after the dark scene comes up, the picture brightens. On X-men First Class, it happens just after the 43 minute mark (Magneto standing with the door behind him).

Noticed it with Harry Potter as well. I mean it doesn't happen a lot, but when it does happen it just irritates me. Instead of paying attention to what I'm watching, I look for the brightness fluctuations. I guess the S30's aren't immune from this problem. I had thought the brightness fluctuations were only a problem in the ST/GT30s. You would think they would have fixed the problem especially considering we both have November builds. I am disappointed with Panasonic to say the least, and I own four other Panasonic plasmas.
post #116 of 523 Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Hey Guys,
I have a new P60S30 being delivered on Friday (12/23/11).
I purchased a Panny P50C2 last year on New Year's Eve from BB. It developed a red laser line. The Geek Squad boys tried numerous times to repair, then ended up screwing up the whole set on the last set so I got a customer satisfaction exchange. After the last "fix"...NOTHING WORKED!!!

So I traded the value of the old 50" in for a new 60"!!!
post #117 of 523 Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Hi if you call panasonic they will send you the update on a usb drive,they were very helpfull.
post #118 of 523 Old 12-21-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy54 View Post

Hi if you call panasonic they will send you the update on a usb drive,they were very helpfull.

I think that USB drive just has the latest firmware on it (1.300). I already have that and still have the issue.

If you're experiencing brightness fluctuation, please call Panasonic and report it. I spoke with a gentleman today, and he said the engineers thought they had fixed it with the latest firmware, but if they receive a lot of calls they will make sure it gets attention. So, they can't fix what they don't know is still a problem.
post #119 of 523 Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 PM

Liked: 11
I picked up the 50S30 from BBY during the Premier Silver pre-BF event, and have been loving it ever since. I'm interested in getting into the service menu to do some picture adjustments with my calibration disk. Is the method the same as the old-school TH42PZ80U that I upgraded from? See if I can clean up what I think is a little bit of a green shift. And I'm seeing random, brightness shifts, I attributed it to my cable box, glad to see it wasn't just me.

My picture settings:
Custom
Contrast: +69
Brightness: +62
Color: +50
Sharpness: +12
Color Temp: Normal (I can't get used to Warm1 or Warm2)
post #120 of 523 Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post

I picked up the 50S30 from BBY during the Premier Silver pre-BF event, and have been loving it ever since. I'm interested in getting into the service menu to do some picture adjustments with my calibration disk. Is the method the same as the old-school TH42PZ80U that I upgraded from? See if I can clean up what I think is a little bit of a green shift. And I'm seeing random, brightness shifts, I attributed it to my cable box, glad to see it wasn't just me.

My picture settings:
Custom
Contrast: +69
Brightness: +62
Color: +50
Sharpness: +12
Color Temp: Normal (I can't get used to Warm1 or Warm2)

Be sure to call Panasonic about it. They need to hear that they have a problem to fix.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46s30 46 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60s30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page