Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3031 of 6439 Old 11-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Newbie
 
badbradphx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for a 60inch TV. Originally went with the 60" LG plasma. Not too bad but I bought it for 3d gaming. Their glasses shut off every 10 mins so I returned the LG. I looked at their passive 3g and it just didn't compare to the vt30 in 3d. Considered the samsung d8000 but there are just too many complaints for me. Considered the hx929 - haven't seen but it seems like it might not be for 3d gaming.

With the 65vt30 are there any issues 3d gaming?
My seating is slightly off center about 12' away - 60 was big but still enjoyable. I'm hoping that 12' is still far enough. Anyone sit that close and not enjoy?

From my relatively short viewing at bb and reading the reviews here I'm pretty excited about ordering but thought I would post to see if I'm missing anything.
badbradphx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3032 of 6439 Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Newbie
 
nullius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is some ambient light, but not much. One 100 Watt bulb in the ceiling.
nullius is offline  
post #3033 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ZZtop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was checking the Panny 65VT30 on Amazon.com. I was curious as to what month build people who have purchased from Amazon.com this past year have gotten and if they had to get their board replaced for the FBR issue.

Trying to figure out what month build/firmware Amazon.com might currently be shipping out.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
ZZtop is offline  
post #3034 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amazon ships from quite a few different warehouses all over the US, so it depends upon whatever that particular warehouse they are shipping from to supply your location has in stock on the day it is shipped. And seeing has how some people are still getting some old build dates from Amazon while others are getting sets with more recent build dates. Plus when you factor in the warehouses also are dependent on whatever their suppliers send them for their stock of sets. There really is no way to say what build date they would actually ship out to you.
Johnla is offline  
post #3035 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Newbie
 
JBRedZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just setup a new 65VT30 from Amazon. All devices connect to the tv via a new Pioneer VSX-52 receiver. Blurays, PS3 games (including 3d), etc look great. However, when I watch my Directv HR-24 HD DVR the picture looks slightly blurry, really noticible when viewing the guide/recordings list/menus/etc. The picture quality looks worse than my cheap LG 60inch 1080p plasma in my bedroom. My eyes hurt trying to focus on the Directv menus etc but the picture quality seems to be hurting too. I have tried changing many of the picture settings (modes, etc.) to no avail. I plan to troubleshoot HDMI cables, bypassing the AV receiver, etc.

Any thoughts or other experiences with blurry (hard to focus on) directv menus or similar source material?
JBRedZ28 is offline  
post #3036 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Member
 
umjs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does 65vt30 support checkerboard?
umjs78 is offline  
post #3037 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
mvision7m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sullivan County, New York
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi everyone,

I have a 55vt30 for about two months now and some time/where back in this thread I responed to someone else's post about some kind of noise/issue that crops up ONLY SOMETIMES when there's an all black screen or nearly all black screen or background.

To clarify (hopefully), as I stated in my reply to that previous post in this thread, there's a Mercedes Benz commercial that ends with the MB symbol/badge over an all black background. The background under the MB badge is completely and sweetly black for a split second before blue-ish lines (noise?) appear in a sort of zig zag pattern in the black background thats under the MB badge. I see no other issues at any other time in the picture before or after that particular commercial or any other scene that is mostly or completely black and creates the, what I'm calling for lack of a better or proper term, "noise".

I'm using the MB commercial only as an example but the issue has happened at other times as well (yet ONLY every now and again) when there's an all or nearly all black screen. Although I've mostly seen it during watching cable TV, which is coming in directly from the wall outlet into the back of the VT30 (no cable box), I have also seen it once or twice while watching blu-rays via PS3 which is connected to the VT30 through an AVR via HDMI.

Some, NOT ALL, black screens/backgrounds or nearly all black backgrounds generate these wierd blu lines that zig zag across the screen for a second or two before they go away or the scene/screen changes.

On the flipside, as I said, it doesn't happen all the time. There's a Nissan commercial that ends very similarly to the MB commercial in which it's Nissan's symbol over a completely black background and the blue lines never pop up with that particular commercial, the background in this commercial is always a gorgeous deep black with no apparent noise or issues. At first I was noticing it on analog channels and was a little relieved that it may only be occurring on those channels due to poorer signal etc. but I've since also seen it once in a while on digital HD channels.

So, I can't tell if this is an issue that in the incoming signal or if it's an issue with the television itself. Another member posted that they were getting a similar, if not the same, thing on their set and I replied that I get it every now and again also.

Hopefully I've explained this issue correctly.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
mvision7m is offline  
post #3038 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Newbie
 
wildminer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop View Post

I was checking the Panny 65VT30 on Amazon.com. I was curious as to what month build people who have purchased from Amazon.com this past year have gotten and if they had to get their board replaced for the FBR issue.

Trying to figure out what month build/firmware Amazon.com might currently be shipping out.

I ordered a P65VT30 last week from Amazon and it arrived this morning. It's an October build and was shipped out of Arizona.
wildminer is offline  
post #3039 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
VarmintCong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone say how important the 96Hz mode is for movies? My current LCD has a 5:5 pulldown mode, and 24p movies look very smooth in panning (motion smoothing is off of course). But I can't get it to do 3:2 pulldown mode so I don't know if a true 24p mode really matters.
VarmintCong is offline  
post #3040 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Member
 
phlevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRedZ28 View Post

Just setup a new 65VT30 from Amazon. All devices connect to the tv via a new Pioneer VSX-52 receiver. Blurays, PS3 games (including 3d), etc look great. However, when I watch my Directv HR-24 HD DVR the picture looks slightly blurry, really noticible when viewing the guide/recordings list/menus/etc. The picture quality looks worse than my cheap LG 60inch 1080p plasma in my bedroom. My eyes hurt trying to focus on the Directv menus etc but the picture quality seems to be hurting too. I have tried changing many of the picture settings (modes, etc.) to no avail. I plan to troubleshoot HDMI cables, bypassing the AV receiver, etc.

Any thoughts or other experiences with blurry (hard to focus on) directv menus or similar source material?

I think what you're seeing is that DirecTV menus are currently not HD, they are in the process of updating all their receivers with a new HD interface, however very few have it yet.

more here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=198263

For other content you should have the HR24 set to native to let the VT30 scale if needed.
phlevin is offline  
post #3041 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bghead8che's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. George, UT
Posts: 1,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5 months ago I purchased a 65" VT30 for near retail.... $4400.

Problem #1 is my set definitely suffers form fluctuating brightness and I'm not convinced they have a TRUE fix for this yet.

Problem #2 is in THX and Movie mode my contrast maxes out at 55. In other the contrast is identical wither I set it to 55, 75, 95 etc. No change after 55.

Problems #3 basically turn my $4K television into a paperweight! There are several shapes and numbers burnt in from casual video game use. This is despite carefully conditioning my TV for OVER 100 hours AND frequently and religiously changing content and avoiding prolonged static images. Despite my precautions I have permanent and irreparable damage on several large areas of my screen.

If you play video games at all on this TV I would avoid it like the plague. Unless my set is truly defective you will definitely have a burn-in issue.

I called Panasonic and the rep said "I have only taken this call once or twice ever. We never hear of burn-in anymore. Your set is most likely defective." Long story short 4 weeks later and 4 phone calls later I have yet to receive a call back from a supervisor/rep/repair man/janitor anyone! All the reps do is take my information, promise to address the solution, and never follow up. Not to mention the hours I have been on hold!

A supervisor is allegedly going to actually call me tomorrow but I am not holding my breath.

I can't believe five months later my TV is toast!

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
Bghead8che is offline  
post #3042 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Member
 
cell911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why are most people buying from Amazon....where is the best deal available on the net for this tv....looking to pick one up ASAP.....thx in advance
cell911 is offline  
post #3043 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Newbie
 
GPstar87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone! I just joined AVS because I am now a proud owner of a 55" VT30. To my relief, it arrived from the shipping company this morning without any bumps or bruises. It is an October build, so no need for an A-board swap. The TV looks great aesthetically but thats about all I can say as I haven't watched any video content on it yet. I have been running the break-in slides and D-Nice's panel-prep settings since about 12:30 this afternoon.

I hate myself for doing this but I always look for flaws when I buy things like this. I've noticed a few things in doing this. First is banding. When I pull up the menu with the break-in slides running, there are faint horizontal lines running from the separations in the menu categories all the way to the right side of the screen. This disappears when I exit the menu.
Another thing is when viewing the screen directly from a distance of about 6 feet, there is a very faint roughly 1 inch thick dark line running the horizontal distance of the center of the screen. It almost looks like the dirty screen effect except in a long thin line. I am sure this will not be visible when actually viewing content though.

This is all probably much more pronounced due to the fact that I am using the break in slides on the pumped up settings, and also the fact that the panel is only about 8 hours old. You guys would know much more than I would as I am still a newbie at this .

I am really excited to get this thing ready to start watching some HD content and I hope I've got a good set, one that won't show any issues down the road.

Big thanks to everyone here as you guys really helped influence my decision that this TV would be best for my type of viewing.
GPstar87 is offline  
post #3044 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,046
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cell911 View Post

Why are most people buying from Amazon....where is the best deal available on the net for this tv....looking to pick one up ASAP.....thx in advance

Price talk is not allowed. People buy from Amazon because of the price and of how easy it is to return an item. Best deal could be a few places but generally online it's between Amazon, Panasonic EPP and a few online retailers. You may want to check out a few of the forum sponsors.
Ph8te is online now  
post #3045 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Member
 
cell911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thx
cell911 is offline  
post #3046 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Newbie
 
ScottMA64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
65VT30 showed up today. I ordered white glove service but only 1 person showed up (supposed to be 2). So I ended up helping carrying this beast up 3 floors. He was nice enough to help me assemble the stand since there was no way I can do it by myself. Fired up the tv and threw in a blu ray disc. What a great tv! Can't wait to get my theater going now!! Did the update. It also has an October build date. Now its slide time....
ScottMA64 is offline  
post #3047 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

5 months ago I purchased a 65" VT30 for near retail.... $4400.

Problem #1 is my set definitely suffers form fluctuating brightness and I'm not convinced they have a TRUE fix for this yet.

Problem #2 is in THX and Movie mode my contrast maxes out at 55. In other the contrast is identical wither I set it to 55, 75, 95 etc. No change after 55.

Problems #3 basically turn my $4K television into a paperweight! There are several shapes and numbers burnt in from casual video game use. This is despite carefully conditioning my TV for OVER 100 hours AND frequently and religiously changing content and avoiding prolonged static images. Despite my precautions I have permanent and irreparable damage on several large areas of my screen.

If you play video games at all on this TV I would avoid it like the plague. Unless my set is truly defective you will definitely have a burn-in issue.

I called Panasonic and the rep said "I have only taken this call once or twice ever. We never hear of burn-in anymore. Your set is most likely defective." Long story short 4 weeks later and 4 phone calls later I have yet to receive a call back from a supervisor/rep/repair man/janitor anyone! All the reps do is take my information, promise to address the solution, and never follow up. Not to mention the hours I have been on hold!

A supervisor is allegedly going to actually call me tomorrow but I am not holding my breath.

I can't believe five months later my TV is toast!

-Brian

Sounds like a defective plasma. Panny is known for their service (much better than Samsung). I bet you get a new TV (and keep calling them until you're satisfied).
BillP is offline  
post #3048 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
JBRedZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlevin View Post

I think what you're seeing is that DirecTV menus are currently not HD, they are in the process of updating all their receivers with a new HD interface, however very few have it yet.

more here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=198263

For other content you should have the HR24 set to native to let the VT30 scale if needed.

Yeah, the new guide looks to be great, been waiting for a couple weeks now for it. I actually switched from the THX mode to a custom mode and it seemed to make the directv menus mutch more readible.

Will try native mode on the HR24 as well. Channels will take longer to change but the payoff may be worth it for better picture quality
JBRedZ28 is offline  
post #3049 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
spinn74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I will be receiving my 65VT30 on Wed! While I'm breaking it in, should I be using THX mode? Does anyone have any calibration settings until I can get it professionally calibrated?
spinn74 is offline  
post #3050 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Senior Member
 
mvision7m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sullivan County, New York
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

5 months ago I purchased a 65" VT30 for near retail.... $4400.

Problem #1 is my set definitely suffers form fluctuating brightness and I'm not convinced they have a TRUE fix for this yet.

Problem #2 is in THX and Movie mode my contrast maxes out at 55. In other the contrast is identical wither I set it to 55, 75, 95 etc. No change after 55.

Problems #3 basically turn my $4K television into a paperweight! There are several shapes and numbers burnt in from casual video game use. This is despite carefully conditioning my TV for OVER 100 hours AND frequently and religiously changing content and avoiding prolonged static images. Despite my precautions I have permanent and irreparable damage on several large areas of my screen.

If you play video games at all on this TV I would avoid it like the plague. Unless my set is truly defective you will definitely have a burn-in issue.

I called Panasonic and the rep said "I have only taken this call once or twice ever. We never hear of burn-in anymore. Your set is most likely defective." Long story short 4 weeks later and 4 phone calls later I have yet to receive a call back from a supervisor/rep/repair man/janitor anyone! All the reps do is take my information, promise to address the solution, and never follow up. Not to mention the hours I have been on hold!

A supervisor is allegedly going to actually call me tomorrow but I am not holding my breath.

I can't believe five months later my TV is toast!

-Brian

Brian,

It really sucks thay you've had such a bad experience with your VT30. It does sound like you've got a defective unit on your hands, I'm by no means a 'gamer' but I do play video games via PS3 sometimes and I've got zero traces of any burn in whatsoever in about two months of regular use on my set.

Also, I have not seen any fluctuating brightness/blacks at all on my set. I have an august build date w/serial # beginning with MJ so my understanding is that my set has the fix built into it from the factory and since I haven't seen any evidence of that issue, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I just checked THX (forgot to check Cinema before turning TV off) and contrast in that picture mode does in fact change the higher I go past 55, I have it set at 86 in THX.

Anyway, my point in saying all of this is that you'll very likely get a brand new set that has a much more recent build date and all the issues you had with the old one will be history as it really seems like you got a defective set.

As the previous reply stated, don't let them off the hook, keep pressing them to replace the faulty unit until they do and you're satisfied. I wouldn't be satisfied until the bad one is gone and a brand new one is in its place.

Good luck.
mvision7m is offline  
post #3051 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
mvision7m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sullivan County, New York
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPstar87 View Post

Hello everyone! I just joined AVS because I am now a proud owner of a 55" VT30. To my relief, it arrived from the shipping company this morning without any bumps or bruises. It is an October build, so no need for an A-board swap. The TV looks great aesthetically but thats about all I can say as I haven't watched any video content on it yet. I have been running the break-in slides and D-Nice's panel-prep settings since about 12:30 this afternoon.

I hate myself for doing this but I always look for flaws when I buy things like this. I've noticed a few things in doing this. First is banding. When I pull up the menu with the break-in slides running, there are faint horizontal lines running from the separations in the menu categories all the way to the right side of the screen. This disappears when I exit the menu.
Another thing is when viewing the screen directly from a distance of about 6 feet, there is a very faint roughly 1 inch thick dark line running the horizontal distance of the center of the screen. It almost looks like the dirty screen effect except in a long thin line. I am sure this will not be visible when actually viewing content though.

This is all probably much more pronounced due to the fact that I am using the break in slides on the pumped up settings, and also the fact that the panel is only about 8 hours old. You guys would know much more than I would as I am still a newbie at this .

I am really excited to get this thing ready to start watching some HD content and I hope I've got a good set, one that won't show any issues down the road.

Big thanks to everyone here as you guys really helped influence my decision that this TV would be best for my type of viewing.

GPstar87,

Congrats on your new set, Hopefully it'll bring you many years of happy HD viewing.

I don't have any banding when the menu is up on either of the picture settings. I'm not running break in slides and I don't have my set on those 'pumped up' break in settings so as you said, it possible you're noticing these issues due to either the slides, the juiced up settings or both.

The one inch thick horizontal line doesn't sound right at all no matter how faint it may be. I've had my 55VT30 for about two months now and the screen is uniform all around. No green blobs as some have seen/experienced, no dead pixels, no horizontal or vertical lines that don't match the rest of the screen etc...

Theres a coating on the screen itself thats mentioned in the cleaning & maintenance section of the owner's manual. Check that it hasn't been ruined, smudged damaged etc...
mvision7m is offline  
post #3052 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ZZtop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildminer View Post

I ordered a P65VT30 last week from Amazon and it arrived this morning. It's an October build and was shipped out of Arizona.

I will call to check with the carrier, but on the phone Amazon said my P65VT30 was shipping out of Indiana.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
ZZtop is offline  
post #3053 of 6439 Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well I made my mind. I am going back to Samsung (PN64D8000), while blacks are great on the Panny and FBR is fixed (I know some Samsung sets have FBR issues and peeling, I have yet to see those on my 59D8000). I cannot stand the color issues with this panel, greenish tint and not accurate skin tones. I know these can be fixed with a calibration but I don't feel like keeping a set that is basically defective considering the price of the set. I understand a fix is in the works but we don't really know whether or not it will fix these issues (or how much it will be fixed).

I figure with the killer deals on the 8000. I will save my money and be ready for 2012 models hopefully things will be improved. From what I gather blacks were improved this year (at least over last year) and if that trend continues then I am pretty certain color issues will be address as well so hypothetically speaking 2012 models might be better plus I wouldn't mind a 70 or 75 (maybe 80) inch Panny. So good luck to all current owners. See you next year Panny (I hope).

MrJai is offline  
post #3054 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
nevea2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRedZ28 View Post

Just setup a new 65VT30 from Amazon. All devices connect to the tv via a new Pioneer VSX-52 receiver. Blurays, PS3 games (including 3d), etc look great. However, when I watch my Directv HR-24 HD DVR the picture looks slightly blurry, really noticible when viewing the guide/recordings list/menus/etc. The picture quality looks worse than my cheap LG 60inch 1080p plasma in my bedroom. My eyes hurt trying to focus on the Directv menus etc but the picture quality seems to be hurting too. I have tried changing many of the picture settings (modes, etc.) to no avail. I plan to troubleshoot HDMI cables, bypassing the AV receiver, etc.

Any thoughts or other experiences with blurry (hard to focus on) directv menus or similar source material?

I just have my TV set on the THX setting (haven't had time to mess with it yet) and my HR24 DVR set at 480p and up and my menu is very clear and easy to read and switch channels is very quick. You may wish to try a new cable or even a new box and see if that fixes your issue.
nevea2be is offline  
post #3055 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Member
 
muohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop View Post

I will call to check with the carrier, but on the phone Amazon said my P65VT30 was shipping out of Indiana.

That's were mine shipped out of too. I will have to check the build date when I get back from vacation.
muohio is offline  
post #3056 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
spinn74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post


I just have my TV set on the THX setting (haven't had time to mess with it yet) and my HR24 DVR set at 480p and up and my menu is very clear and easy to read and switch channels is very quick. You may wish to try a new cable or even a new box and see if that fixes your issue.

Is it best to have your DVR set to the lowest output and let the TV upscale?
spinn74 is offline  
post #3057 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ZZtop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MUOhio, will be interesting to find out which build you have.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
ZZtop is offline  
post #3058 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJai View Post

Well I made my mind. I am going back to Samsung (PN64D8000), while blacks are great on the Panny and FBR is fixed (I know some Samsung sets have FBR issues and peeling, I have yet to see those on my 59D8000). I cannot stand the color issues with this panel, greenish tint and not accurate skin tones. I know these can be fixed with a calibration but I don't feel like keeping a set that is basically defective considering the price of the set. I understand a fix is in the works but we don't really know whether or not it will fix these issues (or how much it will be fixed).

I figure with the killer deals on the 8000. I will save my money and be ready for 2012 models hopefully things will be improved. From what I gather blacks were improved this year (at least over last year) and if that trend continues then I am pretty certain color issues will be address as well so hypothetically speaking 2012 models might be better plus I wouldn't mind a 70 or 75 (maybe 80) inch Panny. So good luck to all current owners. See you next year Panny (I hope).

I ended up returning my 65VT30. I liked the set a lot despite the color looking "off" as I had planned on getting the set ISF'd which I think would have taken care of 99% of the issue. However, that wasn't why I returned the set. The poor color uniformity (i.e., mostly pink and a few green blotches) on content along with terrible image retention were too much for me...especially given the price. This unit basically had burn-in waiting to happen. I was going to just swap it out for another and that's still tempting, but I am thinking I should just hold off until 2012 especially since Panasonic will be using a new driving scheme in their panels (according to their insider at another forum). xrox also mentioned that Panasonic has been active with the Kuro patents, so 2012 could be very interesting. If you can deal with or not see the fb on the Samsung, it's probably a better alternative given everything.

DavidHir is online now  
post #3059 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ZZtop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was very surprised to find out you can't buy 3D Avatar very easily unless you buy a 3d Panasonic tv or Panasonic 3d glasses bundle.

I was even more surprised at what the TY-EW3D3MMK3 cost even on Amazon

So en route are the TC-P65vt30, TY-EW3D3MMK3 pair of 3 glasses bundle, and the Panasonic DMP-BDT310, all from Amazon. Let's hope they all play well together.

I did read an interesting post from someone saying that with this
TY-EW3D3MMK3 pair of glasses you can switch the 3d mode to 2d mode so 1 person can watch 3d and 1 person can watch 2d at the same time. Can anyone confirm this?

This business about restricting the sales of 3d Avatar to Panasonic customers is interesting.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
ZZtop is offline  
post #3060 of 6439 Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 191
ZZtop....even on ebay, they want your first born and a kidney for Avatar 3D.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off