Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I probably have about 25 hours on it, but I have decided to keep the Kuro instead. Even after 5 hours of watching various tv sources last night, the word "Menu" is still there. I've never seen image retention that lasted that long and this is with contrast down to 30. If it was gone after 2 minutes, that would be fine, but not needing more then 5 hours. Plus I already have the Kuro broke in and it is a great set. I might as well continue to use it and get my $4 grand back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM
gce

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

as you know people read this forum to find facts on the different sets, and should they not be correct?

This is a very good point Mark! I read this forum to help my decide what to buy. I'm smart enough to know when someone has no idea what their talking about. I know who to listen to and who not, but someone coming in here who doesn't or won't read all the posts has no idea who's in the know and who isn't.

So it really would be good for everyone and this forum if some of you would contribute more then just hearsay just to hear yourself talk about things you know nothing about!
post #4143 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

I probably have about 25 hours on it, but I have decided to keep the Kuro instead. Even after 5 hours of watching various tv sources last night, the word "Menu" is still there. I've never seen image retention that lasted that long and this is with contrast down to 30. If it was gone after 2 minutes, that would be fine, but not needing more then 5 hours. Plus I already have the Kuro broke in and it is a great set. I might as well continue to use it and get my $4 grand back.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. That definitely is not normal and you are doing the right thing by returning it. No hope in getting a replacement eh?
post #4144 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Mark, i dont own the VT but have the ST and have not experienced any IR, well i have not noticed any, so that doesnt sound normal. on a side note i have a 3 year old px80 and it has 8,000 hours on it and it still has IR even if i have a menu up for just seconds, but it fades rapidly.
post #4145 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda View Post

just got my 55vt30 over the weekend - delivered by two guys in a big truck with a huge graphic of chicken mcnuggets on the side... I had my worries...

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #4146 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

My 65VT30 had terrible IR, as well, before I returned it. Right now I have a 65ST30 and it has a little IR, but it definitely seems less. My VT30 was just over 100 hours, where as my ST30 only has around 20 hours.

post #4147 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM

Question:

Last night I turned on Skyrim on xbox 360. The menu screen as a black background with some grey smoke and stuff swirling around. When I got right up to the screen I noticed a lot of the black parts of the screen on my VT30 had little red or green dots "jumping" around. I haven't had an oportuninty to see if this shows up on other sources or not.

Is this normal? I'm using cutom mode with DNICE settings after doing the panel prep. Thanks.
post #4148 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Wow! Sorry to hear that. That definitely is not normal and you are doing the right thing by returning it. No hope in getting a replacement eh?

I could always try for a replacement, but I am also willing to just live with the Kuro. Part of buying this one was selling the Kuro and the guy that was to buy it hasn't got back to me in days. I don't want my return window to expire and be stuck with both. So I am quite willing to just get my money back and enjoy what I got, maybe get it calibrated.
post #4149 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

I could always try for a replacement, but I am also willing to just live with the Kuro. Part of buying this one was selling the Kuro and the guy that was to buy it hasn't got back to me in days. I don't want my return window to expire and be stuck with both. So I am quite willing to just get my money back and enjoy what I got, maybe get it calibrated.

According to an insider at another forum, next year's VT50 is going to be a big step up, so if you can wait a year or less, you might want to.

post #4150 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

Question:

Last night I turned on Skyrim on xbox 360. The menu screen as a black background with some grey smoke and stuff swirling around. When I got right up to the screen I noticed a lot of the black parts of the screen on my VT30 had little red or green dots "jumping" around. I haven't had an oportuninty to see if this shows up on other sources or not.

Is this normal? I'm using cutom mode with DNICE settings after doing the panel prep. Thanks.

that is called dithering and is normal. if you see it on a full black screen or on the letterbox black bars try dropping the brightness down a few clicks.
post #4151 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is there any way for the VT to recognize when it should automatically switch to size 2. It seems a little annoying that this needs to be manually done when watching a movie or playing a game. My last two Sonys automatically recognized the source material and did this on their own.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #4152 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Got everything all set up. Finished my Break in slides and am using D-nice settings.

Got my neighbor to help me lift my tv on the wall. I'm going to ditch the tv stand and use the axiom stand to bring the axiom vp180 up a bit more. Did a quick run through on a few blurays and am very impressed. Coraline and transformers 3 look spectacular.

Wow, this really is a nice setup. Maybe I'll still consider a VT30. But the skin tone looks kind of blueish here. Is that the TV, camera or stage lighiting?
post #4153 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Is there any way for the VT to recognize when it should automatically switch to size 2. It seems a little annoying that this needs to be manually done when watching a movie or playing a game. My last two Sonys automatically recognized the source material and did this on their own.

custom is independent to each HDMI input, but as i understand your question this doesnt help? well thinking about it should if you have the game console on a separate hdmi input. i just checked and my blu ray input is set to size 2 ans my sat. input is size 1. and as you have pointed out i have a ST but i would think this would be the same. but the VT has different modes so i could wrong here..
post #4154 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

Wow, this really is a nice setup. Maybe I'll still consider a VT30. But the skin tone looks kind of blueish here. Is that the TV, camera or stage lighiting?

I had a hard time getting a photo to represent PQ of the TV with my iphone. I'm thinking it may be a combination of my camera and stage lighting (notice blue stage lights). I don't remember what the skin tones of dave and tim looked like in person as I was'nt really critically watching and just snapped a photo.). I watched portions of transformers 3 on bluray and several cable feeds and didn't notice any blue tint. If naything some skin tones were slightly red, but not bad at all.
post #4155 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got everything all set up. Finished my Break in slides and am using D-nice settings.

Got my neighbor to help me lift my tv on the wall. I'm going to ditch the tv stand and use the axiom stand to bring the axiom vp180 up a bit more. Did a quick run through on a few blurays and am very impressed. Coraline and transformers 3 look spectacular.

nice. what brand are those speakers?
post #4156 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Axiom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

nice. what brand are those speakers?

post #4157 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the advice, definitely helps.

So, let make sure I have this straight... A VT30 with D-Nice's settings without the 2.1 update will look the same as a VT30 with D-Nice's new settings for the 2.1 update? It's just as of right now, anyone with the 2.1 update can't use D-Nice's settings because the properties of the image have changed? So, would 2.1 update with D-Nice's future new settings be better than the old settings? Isn't that the whole reason Panasonic released the patch, to improve the image? Do I ask a lot of questions? How long can I go on? Ha, just kidding.

Thanks. I just want to get this image as good as possible without having to do a professional calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Hi, Doug:

1. Don't worry about doing any official update to the firmware. The color luminence firmware will not appear as a request to update the firmware even if you connect to the Internet, as Panasonic has designated it for professional calibrators only. You can check for the latest official firmware versions at the link on the FAQ. If the television does ask you to update, you can be assured it will be for an official firmware update.

2. Should you do the color luminence update? It depends--if you are going to get a professional calibration it makes sense, I would discuss it with the calibrator you have hired.

3. When DNice releases his settings for the color luminence patch, I suspect they will apply only to those televisions that had the patch from the get go.

4. At this point, when your TV arrives if there are no 2.1 patch settings out yet, you can do exactly what you have proposed above if you like.

Hope that helps.

post #4158 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX2011 View Post

Hi newbee here and I've been considering a new TV including a VT30. I'm a bit saturated here looking at several threads. The VT30 for example. Is this considered a "good" TV? If so why? Because a lot of the threads I've read are like this. "Does it have the latest MJ fix", "watch out, it may be an "A" board failure". I mean, this is supposed to be a NEW TV. When cars have these kind of issues we, um, call them bad. So how should a person look at this?
It seems a lot of people want to convince themselves a certain TV is "good" because a review says it is or some guru says it is. Sorry for being so frank, but I'm just sayin'. Are we supposed to kid ourselves?

Welcome to AVS, where no piece of electronic equipment is good enough!

Yes, IMHO the VT30 is a great TV and a worthy flagship for Panasonic. Yet, it has niggles and shortcomings just like every other TV out there.

One thing to keep in mind though is that millions of these are sold to customers who have no knowledge (and don't care) about the issues you have noted. They turn on the TV, use it from day zero any way they want, and are happy as clams.

However, being an enthusist in anything has the inevitable side effect of knowing more than is necessary, which for some makes them picky as all get out. Part of the price--but also part of the fun.

The key IMHO is to decide where your middle ground lies. That's why questions like "What is the BEST?" or "Is it worth it?" are so difficult to answer. The answer depends solely on YOU and your particular situation. The real question should be: "What is the best for ME?" and be happy with that, while ignoring the static. It doesn't matter what anyone else owns or likes, as long as you are content with what you finally decide on.

Finally, I think it's also important to not let the comments in AVS forums discourage or confuse you. As you know, in the wild west that is the Internet, we get all types of posts--from truly helpful, fact-based information to crossposted passionate viewpoints referencing genitals, and everything in between.

They key is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and as others have recently posted: please don't take things personally--they're just TVs!

Good hunting!
post #4159 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Nice setup, need to upgrade my axiom stuff.

A wise man once said if it sounds like a broken record there is a motive behind the message.
post #4160 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

For the VT30, I plan on using the Sanus LL11 Ultra Thin mount. Would I need to get the UltraSlim version of the powerbridge?

This one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I think you should be OK with the powerbridge you linked to.

A lot of what happens depends on where you decide to cut the hole for the top part of the power bridge--if you choose that carefully, you should have room to run cable. The LL11 allows you a lot of flexibility in placement of access holes behind the set.

Before you start screwing things into your wall, I would hook up cables to your set and bend them around the way you envision things to run. Cables vary in terms of flexibility and that makes a difference in what radius they can bend around. Bluejeanscable is a forum sponsor and has cables with varying degress of flexing that may be useful for you.
post #4161 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill3508 View Post

Nice setup, need to upgrade my axiom stuff.

I had Axiom in the past just now upgrading to GoldenEar Technology.
post #4162 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

I guess I should not give a rat's behind about this....but,to tell the truth,it bugs the hell out of me when I see "congratulations" doled out to the owner of a new piece of electronics....Hell,congratulations should be offered to happeneings in real life...ie,weddings,births,promotions,and all thigs to do with achievements in life...imo,spending thousands of dollars on electronics are the perks attached to achievemnts....any fool can buy a peice of equipment...

It's electronics people.....and it impacts your life choices in a tiny manner,.....if at all...
Okay,I will sit back and eagerly await the readings of congratulatory messages to this post!
post #4163 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I think you should be OK with the powerbridge you linked to.

A lot of what happens depends on where you decide to cut the hole for the top part of the power bridge--if you choose that carefully, you should have room to run cable. The LL11 allows you a lot of flexibility in placement of access holes behind the set.

Before you start screwing things into your wall, I would hook up cables to your set and bend them around the way you envision things to run. Cables vary in terms of flexibility and that makes a difference in what radius they can bend around. Bluejeanscable is a forum sponsor and has cables with varying degress of flexing that may be useful for you.

Thanks. I actually went with this one

http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TW...3801836&sr=1-1

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/p...tsolution.html

This one says it's good for mounts with less than 1/2" clearance.
post #4164 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

Great news, sounds like you're ready to receive an awesome display. I'm sure you will love it. I would say put it in THX mode as a start and enjoy!

Thanks for the update.

Robert

I got my VT30 65in delivered by Best Buy yesterday. The set is the new 2011 model with the nice black surround with the thin silver edge. The TV had absolutely no scratches, dents or any issues. It is a July 2011 build. I was prompted for a software update when I started it up, the update completed and TV is running great. I have it on the standard picture setting for the break-in period.
post #4165 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Thanks. I actually went with this one

http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TW...3801836&sr=1-1

http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/p...tsolution.html

This one says it's good for mounts with less than 1/2" clearance.

That's nice--I like that model even better.
post #4166 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I guess I should not give a rat's behind about this....but,to tell the truth,it bugs the hell out of me when I see "congratulations" doled out to the owner of a new piece of electronics....Hell,congratulations should be offered to happeneings in real life...ie,weddings,births,promotions,and all thigs to do with achievements in life...imo,spending thousands of dollars on electronics are the perks attached to achievemnts....any fool can buy a peice of equipment...

It's electronics people.....and it impacts your life choices in a tiny manner,.....if at all...
Okay,I will sit back and eagerly await the readings of congratulatory messages to this post!

post #4167 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I'm having the same issue with "Menu". Did you try running the white bar scroller in the menu? I will try tonight, but I'm concerned to even bring up the menu to get to it at this point ... From what I read with this TV it is a real concern in the first 100 hours. I guess I should have held off adjusting settings. Anyone with experience getting rid of tough IR on this TV?
post #4168 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwdev View Post

I'm having the same issue with "Menu". Did you try running the white bar scroller in the menu? I will try tonight, but I'm concerned to even bring up the menu to get to it at this point ... From what I read with this TV it is a real concern in the first 100 hours. I guess I should have held off adjusting settings. Anyone with experience getting rid of tough IR on this TV?

May I ask you some questions please to try to get a better handle on this issue?

Did you try running the slides?

Did you spend an inordinate amount of time in the menu?

What contrast settings were you running when the IR first started?

Is there a way you might please be willing to post a picture of the menu IR?

(I have spent a great deal of time with the menu early on trying and trying to get the wireless to work, but luckily haven't had this issue.)
post #4169 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Congrats,Man!
post #4170 of 6436 Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome to AVS, where no piece of electronic equipment is good enough!

Yes, IMHO the VT30 is a great TV and a worthy flagship for Panasonic. Yet, it has niggles and shortcomings just like every other TV out there.

One thing to keep in mind though is that millions of these are sold to customers who have no knowledge (and don't care) about the issues you have noted. They turn on the TV, use it from day zero any way they want, and are happy as clams.

However, being an enthusist in anything has the inevitable side effect of knowing more than is necessary, which for some makes them picky as all get out. Part of the price--but also part of the fun.

The key IMHO is to decide where your middle ground lies. That's why questions like "What is the BEST?" or "Is it worth it?" are so difficult to answer. The answer depends solely on YOU and your particular situation. The real question should be: "What is the best for ME?" and be happy with that, while ignoring the static. It doesn't matter what anyone else owns or likes, as long as you are content with what you finally decide on.

Finally, I think it's also important to not let the comments in AVS forums discourage or confuse you. As you know, in the wild west that is the Internet, we get all types of posts--from truly helpful, fact-based information to crossposted passionate viewpoints referencing genitals, and everything in between.

They key is to separate the wheat from the chaff, and as others have recently posted: please don't take things personally--they're just TVs!

Good hunting!

this is a good point. i personally want to apologize for some of my post earlier. i truly usually post to help others or if i know that someone made a incorrect post i will correct it, and i always do it in a respectful manner. it is only a tv, but a few on here really take it to a whole other level, and get heated, and yesterday i fell for that and dropped to their level.

every display has weaknesses and strengths and it seems that if someone post a negative about a display there are a few that defend their almighty set to great lengths and disrespect the the offending poster in the process.

i find this site invaluable and is a great resource for all of us to learn and to help make decisions on our choosing of what we buy. but the before mentioned squabbling is tiring, so we just need to ignore the trolls and overly passionate few.

thank you and happy viewing!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page