Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 180 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5371 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaneZaminiski View Post

Congrats on enjoying your VT30! I also have the 55" VT30 and feel the same. Too bad for those posting with various issues including a few of late on the super bowl game looking really bad due to a crappy cable feed. It made me think of the new Direct commercials about not wanting to end up in a road side dish or not wanting a grand daughter with a dog collar due to being frustrated over cable. I have DISH however and not Direct but feel the same way. My HD DISH feed is spectacular. I have about 500+ hours on my display so you'll like yours even more as you get some hours on it. I agree completely with the post not that long ago that something adjusts in the display color wise to really make the colors more accurate. It was some place around 300 hours when I noticed a significant improvement. The smooth motion is also something that doesn't get recognized enough. I own a KURO 9G and even though it has strengths and weaknesses like the VT30 or any other display, I simply prefer my 55" VT30. Maybe I'm in the minority or maybe not since I've read KURO owners on here saying they like the VT30 better. In any event, the VT30 is an awesome display. I was just amazed at how good the super bowl game looked and get the wow factor when watching the best blu-rays or DISH HD movies. Really for those that pay so much for the VT30 to have the best plasma available, I would think easily worth it to dump cable if at all possible....no use being frustrated.

ZaneZ

Every day the panel gets better and better. I have not yet spent the money on a calibration but I think this time I will. I think there is tremendous potential locked in this panel waiting to be freed. I just watched Super 8 the other night and had one of the best cinematic experiences in a long time. Every scene, every color, every shade, every hue, every motion contributed to a an experience of being immersed in the film. I have Dish Also for HDTV which is fantastic. The superlatives abound. Although my heart was set on Panasonic I did explore other brands but there is no question in my mind that no set currently on the market can sit in the same room. BTW, just for the fun of it watched Imax Under The Sea in 3-D last night, simply awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

This may be a little off topic, but if you guys purchased from an online retailer, did you purchase a warranty through square trade? Also, I am not eligible for extended warranties provided by the CC companies so that is sadly not an options for me. Give me some feedback!

Looking forward to getting my 65vt30 on V-Day via Amazon (gift for the wife....)! I have read some horror stories about the delivery services used by Amazon, so give me a few tips for "inspection". I also want to have it professionally calibrated at some point. I looked into buying the Calman auto calibrate software as an alternative to professional calibration. Would this be a sound decision that will provide equal results? I am located in Charlotte NC, so if you can recommend anyone, please do! Does D-Nice do calibrations?

EDIT: Just purchased an ideal-lume lighting kit to go behind this beast! Cant wait!

Congrats on the great V-day gift!!

I bought it thru Amazon and delivered by CEVA. Amazing service, the product was handled professionally and no issues thus far.

Check for banged up or ripped/torn box. Have the delivery guys open the box and inspect the screen for cracks or spider webbing. Other than that, not much you can see visually.

Amazon is great with returns and exchanges. I've been buying large items from them for the last 8 years and never had an issue.

Don't worry and enjoy your set!!
post #5373 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

This may be a little off topic, but if you guys purchased from an online retailer, did you purchase a warranty through square trade? Also, I am not eligible for extended warranties provided by the CC companies so that is sadly not an options for me. Give me some feedback!

Go to costco.com and purchase a 3 year square trade warranty through Costco for $99.99, that is by far the best way to get the best price on a extended warranty for a TV.
post #5374 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

CHave the delivery guys open the box and inspect the screen for cracks or spider webbing. Other than that, not much you can see visually.

I would add to that a flashlight. Use the flashlight from a sharp angle shinning across the screen. There are small cracks that you can's see any other way.The idea is to light any possible cracks from the side while you examine the screen from the side.
post #5375 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Wondering what the experts are using for color settings, etc. in THX mode? Overall THX looks the most pleasing/accurate. Fleshtones might look slightly greenish? Any thoughts on small tweaks to give better fleshtones. The suggested settings on CNET look better on THX. Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5376 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't seem to get my set to connect to my Wifi. I have the bongle connected and it picks up the signal, but can't connect. Any ideas? Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5377 of 6436 Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM

Do you mean .002? 20 seems high? I guess im reading it wrong.
post #5378 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

I can't seem to get my set to connect to my Wifi. I have the bongle connected and it picks up the signal, but can't connect. Any ideas? Thanks

The tv defaults the password to all caps, you have to hit one of the colored buttons to change that when in there. Then if you need to access your PC you have to allow the tv in your PC's network.
post #5379 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Wondering what the experts are using for color settings, etc. in THX mode? Overall THX looks the most pleasing/accurate. Fleshtones might look slightly greenish? Any thoughts on small tweaks to give better fleshtones. The suggested settings on CNET look better on THX. Thanks

I used THX for months. But then finally tried out D-Nice's settings (no, I did not use the prep slides) and prefer them to THX. Since D-Nice's settings are in Custom, you can easily switch between THX and Custom to see which you prefer. Try it out.
post #5380 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looked at Inception and it is nowhere as sever as NbNW. I wonder if it has anything to do with NbNW shot in VistaVision. May be that particular color palette is more sensitive to the 96hz red and green interlacing tint.

Anyone have similar experiences based on bleow??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post

I just received my 65VT30 a week ago, and love it! D-Nice's setting are amazing. However, I am conflicted to put the tv on 60 hz or 90 hz for blu-rays. When watching North by Northwest, 60 Hz tends to look slightly better. In a couple of shots at the beginning of the film (2:52, 2:58, and 3:12) Cary Grant and his secretary are walking down the street and few ladies cut in front of them. When playing in 96hz, the each of ladies' sides of their faces appears to have a interlacing red and green tint, almost like a cheap 3D effect. When switched to 60hz, the green is gone and normal flesh tones are prevalent. So 60hz hands down right? However, with the 2.2 firmware update (which supposedly 96hz viewing) and with Cnet and a few others have mentioning 96hz has a slightly higher black level than 60hz. Would 90hz be the way to go, even with the red and red effect? Anybody else have the North by Northwest blu-ray and see the same thing???

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

post #5381 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwright View Post

Every day the panel gets better and better. I have not yet spent the money on a calibration but I think this time I will. I think there is tremendous potential locked in this panel waiting to be freed. I just watched Super 8 the other night and had one of the best cinematic experiences in a long time. Every scene, every color, every shade, every hue, every motion contributed to a an experience of being immersed in the film. I have Dish Also for HDTV which is fantastic. The superlatives abound. Although my heart was set on Panasonic I did explore other brands but there is no question in my mind that no set currently on the market can sit in the same room. BTW, just for the fun of it watched Imax Under The Sea in 3-D last night, simply awesome.

Thanks for the additional feedback. I agree that the VT30 is definitely a significant step above all the rest. A lot say the Sammy 8000 is very close but to me it has more of an LCD image rather than a dimensional filmlike image that the VT30 has. In any event, it is the bench mark plasma IMHO. Super 8 is an awesome movie. I own it and agree it is one of the best transfers I've seen on blu-ray. Sounds like we both got lucky with getting a display that is totally problem free. It almost seems like there are more posts on the 65" over the 55". Maybe because Panasonic just sells more of the larger size but makes me wonder if there aren't some problems the 65" has that aren't present on the 55".

Keep enjoying your VT30!

ZaneZ
post #5382 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM

I had a few questions for you VT owners, some background first.

I have 110 hours on 65VT30 now in my log where I write down the times I turn the TV on and watch it. I'm using custom settings with contrast and brightness down at 40 and color at 35 and sharpness at 0. At the 80 hour mark, I turned contrast and brightness up to 45. I chose to NOT run slides and just watch a variety of content from TV off-the-air to blu-ray and DVD at full screen.

Since I hit the 100 hour mark, I checked the EPROM I have, turns out that my July build has the current 84.46. I got mine at Best Buy, so guess it's true, they took care of that.

Oh yeah, I will need to try some black and white material, I want to see if I can see these green color blobs you guys are talking about. So far, I haven't seen any indication.

I am having a lot of faith in you guys who are saying this TV calibrates well and produces an excellent image. I say that because at the current settings, the image looks dark. I have a Pioneer PRO-1130 plasma in the next room that was replaced by the VT30 when the Pioneer's HDMI inputs both died. I can currently stand in the hall and rotate my head and see both TVs and compare the image. The Pioneer was never professionally calibrated. I have used the settings that D-Nice shared back in 2006-2007 and has a great image! The VT30 looks like I'm watching with sunglasses on compared to the Pioneer. But I know as I put in hours on this set with the settings lowered to break it in, I am happy to accept this.

I've played the Aliens blu ray with the lower settings and the image is indeed great! The larger size and 1080 image was great! So I hope once I put in another 100 hours and try D-Nice's settings, the VT30 will look better then my Pioneer.

BTW, I've tried the THX default setting and thought it was equally dark and dull. Vivid looked awful! I won't watch in Vivid mode. I am using my Pioneer as the benchmark. That TV's image pops with good color and brightness and contrast. Granted it wasn't calibrated, just using D-Nice settings.

So I hope my set will respond well to adjustment when the time comes. A professional calibration is not out of the question.
post #5383 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:

The manual says the TV power must be on to charge the 3d glasses. Does this mean you must be displaying a picture as well. The TV doesn't know it's charging glasses and not to display a picture? In other words, you should plan on watching TV while the glasses are charges?

Hi there

nobody answered so here it is

there is a buried system setting in which you can choose to keep the USB ports powered while the TV is off. change that one and you will be able to charge the 3D glasses while off
post #5384 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM

VT30 OR D8000. my 9 yr old sony bit the dust and I'll be purchasing tomorrow. i watch alot of sports but regular tv and movies too. I went thru a long d7000/d8000 calibration thread and was wondering for the average joe, can you also calibrate on the panny as you can on the sammy ( haven't looked for any specific thread for it) I'm trying to get a great tv and i've read some quality issues on both, with that said, if there is a smoking deal at BB, for instance, on the d8000 vs the vt30 is it really a flip of the coin? should i ask to see build dates and specific FW on each? thx
post #5385 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by break80 View Post

VT30 OR D8000. my 9 yr old sony bit the dust and I'll be purchasing tomorrow. i watch alot of sports but regular tv and movies too. I went thru a long d7000/d8000 calibration thread and was wondering for the average joe, can you also calibrate on the panny as you can on the sammy ( haven't looked for any specific thread for it) I'm trying to get a great tv and i've read some quality issues on both, with that said, if there is a smoking deal at BB, for instance, on the d8000 vs the vt30 is it really a flip of the coin? should i ask to see build dates and specific FW on each? thx

also, can I buy the 3 yr sq trade warranty at costco on either of these if I purchase somewhere else and costco doesn't carry either of these in stores?
post #5386 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Yes you can still purchase the warranty, another AVS member suggested it when I asked my question a few posts up. You can find it on the Costco website, in fact one of the reviews state they purchased the tv online but still went through costco. It is also half the price of what you would pay through any online source for the warranty. Correct me if i am wrong, but I believe that you have a 60 day window after the t is purchased to purchase the warranty. Hope this helps!
post #5387 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM

thanks. what did you end up getting?
post #5388 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post

Looked at Inception and it is nowhere as sever as NbNW. I wonder if it has anything to do with NbNW shot in VistaVision. May be that particular color palette is more sensitive to the 96hz red and green interlacing tint.

Anyone have similar experiences based on bleow??????

No problems on my set with NbNW. I'm running this using the DNice settings from a Panasonic 310 (1080p), using a high quality direct HDMI cable (Blue Jeans Cable).

Also, watched this classic movie in B & W with nary a problem:

Are you running your BRP directly to the TV? If not, is the AV receiver's video processing off? Have you tried another HDMI cable?
post #5389 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

No problems on my set with NbNW. I'm running this using the DNice settings from a Panasonic 310 (1080p), using a high quality direct HDMI cable (Blue Jeans Cable).

Also, watched this classic movie in B & W with nary a problem:

Are you running your BRP directly to the TV? If not, is the AV receiver's video processing off? Have you tried another HDMI cable?

12 Angry Men?

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #5390 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

12 Angry Men?

Bingo!
post #5391 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Bingo!

Fantastic movie. Now I may have to re-watch it tonight.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #5392 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 PM

So my new 65vt30 has one bright cell in the lower left. It's mostly red and can't be seen from my couch. Any chance it will go away on it's own? Think I should return to amazon over that? No other defects so I would suppose it won't get any worse?
post #5393 of 6436 Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

So my new 65vt30 has one bright cell in the lower left. It's mostly red and can't be seen from my couch. Any chance it will go away on it's own? Think I should return to amazon over that? No other defects so I would suppose it won't get any worse?

There are a lot of people who wouldn't return a display for one stuck pixel. It's sounds like it's stuck so there is a chance that it will correct itself. If you were just under warranty it wouldn't be covered.
post #5394 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 AM

Received my P65VT30 last week and have since used about 12.5 hours...all TV filled frame, with mostly a Custom Setting of Contrast 65, Brightness 60, Color 50 be cause quite frankly the Standard setting looks lie the image is seen thru sunglasses...or for photogs...2 stops under exposed.
Over the past couple days have learned here about Dnice slides for breaking in....With my hours and settings, is it to late to consider using the Dnice technique?
Thanks for any advice...and great forum!
post #5395 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
gce

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2005 View Post

Received my P65VT30 last week and have since used about 12.5 hours...all TV filled frame, with mostly a Custom Setting of Contrast 65, Brightness 60, Color 50 be cause quite frankly the Standard setting looks lie the image is seen thru sunglasses...or for photogs...2 stops under exposed.
Over the past couple days have learned here about Dnice slides for breaking in....With my hours and settings, is it to late to consider using the Dnice technique?
Thanks for any advice...and great forum!

A lot of people in this forum have made the same mistake and have gone ahead and did the prep work and D-Nices setup with good results. You can't hurt anything so if you want to try it go for it.

I did mine by the book and can't see how this TV could get any better!
post #5396 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Bummer. Just attempted to take delivery of my 65VT30 from Amazon (shipped via Home Direct FYI), and upon getting the packaging materials out of the way, the screen was spider-webbed in the upper left hand corner.

Refused delivery obviously (even though the delivery guy suggested he leave it and I deal with the place of purchase ).

I'm glad I had waited to get this through Amazon. Already have the replacement in the channels with an ETA of next Friday. As bummed and upset as I am in general, you can't fault any part of that customer service. Let's just hope for better luck on Round #2.
post #5397 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Quick question -- does anyone know if there's a way change the OSD timeout or turn off the OSD altogether on the VT30? I'm trying to calibrate my Australian VT30 which doesn't seem to support DDC, and it's an incredible pain having the adjustment bar time out back to the full-screen menu after a few seconds before the meter has finished reading! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #5398 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Do you guys with content with black bars? I've only had mine for a few days so obviously I'm a bit careful and not using it.

Got the STAR WARS BR box for example, do not want to watch it in zoom since it looks bad and heads get cut off etc. Kinda annoying that you can't get the picture to stretch without zooming.So I'll have to wait before I watch it.

So, how do you guys go about it? Reading these forums has made me really concerned, almost as if I want to forget all the crap I've read so I just can enjoy my tv after 100 hours or so.

I also game A LOT, will be interesting to see what will happen. Usually play for about 3-4 hours. Will not do this in the beginning obviously, still.
post #5399 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Most movies have black bars on the top and bottom, and I have had no problems or image retention despite watching them. Just vary your viewing habits (I also watch 16:9 TV shows).
post #5400 of 6436 Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

Yes, I hear everything via ARC. I would guess it is an option you're missing on the Marantz. I'm out of town right now, so it's not in front of me, but I think I remember having to turn on HDMI control under Manual Setup. There may have been another option or two, but I'm willing to bet it's in the receiver.

Hey Kevin thanks! I had to set the option HDMI CONTROL to be set to "ON"....AND the most important one....I had to UNDELETE the input source labeled "TV"! That way, I could switch to TV to view VieraCast and voila...I can now see AND hear the beeps and also play Pandora. Though I have 4 ways to listen and see the GUI of Pandora:
  1. Panasonic VT30 TV
  2. Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
  3. DIRECTV HD HR24 DVR
  4. Marantz SR7005 AVR

I'd say the TV, Blu-ray player, and Satellite DVR offer the best displays of the Pandora gui.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page