Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 183 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5461 of 6439 Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So would you say the contrast and black level on the Playstation 3D glasses is the same as the Panny glasses? These Keydex glasses produced noticeably worse contrast and black level.

Andrew Sabin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 AM

I think the Panny's have a little bit better picture, but it's not night and day. I think the bigger lens is the key for me - with the Panny's, I can see around the glasses which is distracting. Also, I have to wear the Panny's in a "sweet spot" on my nose (about halfway down), whereas the larger lens of the Sony ones are more forgiving and can be placed pretty much wherever on my nose.
post #5463 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 AM

Someone please shed some light on the PIXEL ORBITER question of mine.

In THX it's set on AUTO but I've heard it doesn't work in THX.

My only two options in GAME MODE/CINEMA MODE for example are AUTO/ON. Which one should I go with? Want maximum effect. Also I don't have an option like 1,2,3,4 (ie. how often, minutes, it moves the pixels).

I just figured auto takes care of it, but what does on do then?

I have a European model and live in Sweden. Think I got a Jan/Feb build.

Yes I have googled it but I can't find an answer.

Thanks
post #5464 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You will have a better chance to get help if you describe your setup -- what components and how they are connected.

What settings and options are you using with your display?

Quote:

A signal can also be too strong. Compression is possible, but there are other problems that might be possible. I don't know enough to speculate. We had a long period where our Comcast signal was crap. It turned out to be squirrels in some distribution box. In an other situation it was an old drop line from the power poll in our back yard.

Time Warner DVR Cisco 8642> HDMI> Denon 3808> HDMI> 65VT30.

I also tried DVR Cisco 8642> HDMI> 65VT30.

All AC plugged into a Monster Power HTS 5100.

I Replaced Monoprice HDMI cables for Blue Jean cables (both AVS sponsors) even though, I knew it wouldn't fix the problem.

D-Nice Settings, will get a Pro calibration, if I don't send it back

Problem stays the same, Square blocking on motion (what is the correct term for this?)

I agree about to much signal strength, what should I suggest to the tech when he shows up as a possible culprit for my situation?

I remember when satellite was considered an inferior quality signal to cable, has this changed?

I'm not concerned with price, I want the best signal, other than fanboy type of recommendation's, has it been proven who delivers the best quality, please LINK me if one is available to a report?

At times I like how the 65VT30 looks, almost as much as my Pioneer ELITE, The ELITE does show the square blocking but it's not as noticeable, I think I was so used to it that this 65" is acting like a microscope-->

BluRay looks great BTW.

HH
post #5465 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

I remember when satellite was considered an inferior quality signal to cable, has this changed?

I'm not concerned with price, I want the best signal, other than fanboy type of recommendation's, has it been proven who delivers the best quality, please LINK me if one is available to a report?

At times I like how the 65VT30 looks, almost as much as my Pioneer ELITE, The ELITE does show the square blocking but it's not as noticeable, I think I was so used to it that this 65" is acting like a microscope-->

BluRay looks great BTW.

HH

My Directv to us is much better then Comcast that we have had in a couple different towns. I would suggest by passing the 3808 and seeing if that improves the picture. One note is that your saying you had the problem on another TV set so it seems like the problem is not in the sets but else where.
post #5466 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also tried DVR Cisco 8642> HDMI> 65VT30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

My Directv to us is much better then Comcast that we have had in a couple different towns. I would suggest by passing the 3808 and seeing if that improves the picture. One note is that your saying you had the problem on another TV set so it seems like the problem is not in the sets but else where.

I did try the direct feed same results.

I'm sure it's TWC, I hope they can fix it because of Phone & Broadband bundle price.

HH
post #5467 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post

Someone please shed some light on the PIXEL ORBITER question of mine.

In THX it's set on AUTO but I've heard it doesn't work in THX.

My only two options in GAME MODE/CINEMA MODE for example are AUTO/ON. Which one should I go with? Want maximum effect. Also I don't have an option like 1,2,3,4 (ie. how often, minutes, it moves the pixels).

I just figured auto takes care of it, but what does on do then?

I have a European model and live in Sweden. Think I got a Jan/Feb build.

Yes I have googled it but I can't find an answer.

Thanks

Read the manual
post #5468 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

Read the manual

Doesn't answer my question. The manual says;
Auto/ON:
Auto: Works automatically only for appropriate pictures and you'll rarely notice the swaying.

Doesn't tell me what ON does. My assumption is that when it's on ON it does it all the time no matter what pictures. Is that correct? If so, how often? Can not choose time intervals like I've seen others talking about. And no, it doesn't say in my manual. Thanks.
post #5469 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Doesn't answer my question. The manual says;
Auto/ON:
Auto: Works automatically only for appropriate pictures and you'll rarely notice the swaying.

Doesn't tell me what ON does. My assumption is that when it's on ON it does it all the time no matter what pictures. Is that correct? If so, how often? Can not choose time intervals like I've seen others talking about. And no, it doesn't say in my manual. Thanks.

Well ON would mean it works on all sources and not certain ones as indicated by the term Appropriate pictures
post #5470 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 11
Neither my panny 46X3 or 65vt30 offer the ability to change time intervals related to the pixel orbiter, as far is I know.
post #5471 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How do you get the streaming apps such as Amazon and Netflix to play audio through my surround sound? It is just playing through the tv right now. Thanks in advance!
post #5472 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

I think that your local situation may determine which service is best. In my neighborhood cable is outstanding.

Quote:

Again, due to lack of information I'm going to guess. That's always dangerous.

If your Elite is a 50" display, the difference in what you see may be due to the substantial difference in the size of your new display. Any input fault will be easier to see on a 65" screen than it is on a 50" screen. I'm guessing that you wanted a bigger screen.

The blocking you see is how digital displays react when they don't get enough data. They keep feeding the screen the same value until different data is received.

Quote:

BluRay looks great BTW.

If Blu-ray looks great then it's not the TV that's causing your problem.

It sounds like you are thinking about returning the V30 because it's showing you the faults that are in your TV service signal. That makes sense to me, but I would tell the cable company that I was going to change providers if they can't improve the signal coming out of the DVR. I would also reject any idea that the bad signal was being caused by my TV.

If you're running out of time, you might return the V30 until you can get your TV source improved. A 65" screen with a bad picture is no fun. Back when 32" was the biggest screen available, we overlooked a lot of crap.

Given your circumstances, the manager where you bought the TV might be willing to extend your return period.

Good luck.
post #5473 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

How do you get the streaming apps such as Amazon and Netflix to play audio through my surround sound? It is just playing through the tv right now. Thanks in advance!

Through optical audio out from tv to receiver, or using hdmi with ARC
post #5474 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

Through optical audio out from tv to receiver, or using hdmi with ARC

Is there a way to get surround sound using this method? I only see 2.0.
post #5475 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am using a Yamaha v867 receiver with all HDMI inputs running to the receiver. I then have one HDMI out from the receiver running to the HDMI 1 slot (arc) and still no sound.
post #5476 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

The blocking you see is how digital displays react when they don't get enough data. They keep feeding the screen the same value until different data is received.

If Blu-ray looks great then it's not the TV that's causing your problem.

It sounds like you are thinking about returning the V30 because it's showing you the faults that are in your TV service signal.

Totally agree.

@HuskerHarley:
Have you tried watching any local over-the-air HD 1080i TV stations (with a good antenna of course) and compared them to your cable HD channels?

I seriously doubt your VT30 is at fault.
post #5477 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthSquad View Post

I'd take a little issue with your simplification: Cable is often better than either DirecTV or Dish (particularly on local channels). They use resolution limiting and extra compression. Cable, on the other hand, is somewhat variable. By FCC regulations, they cannot noticeably degrade the broadcast.

I'm certainly no expert and won't pretend to know the answer. Although cable companies, per FCC regulations as you say, cannot "noticeably" degrade the broadcast, it gets degraded nevertheless. If you don't happen to notice it than what is the FCC to say?

If your local "basic" analog cable TV signal is bad for whatever reason it's digital signal will be equally bad. No intentional degradation intended.
post #5478 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

I am using a Yamaha v867 receiver with all HDMI inputs running to the receiver. I then have one HDMI out from the receiver running to the HDMI 1 slot (arc) and still no sound.

Check your receiver to see if you need to enable ARC. On my Denon it's called hdmi control if I remember correctly.
post #5479 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKinDC View Post

Check your receiver to see if you need to enable ARC. On my Denon it's called hdmi control if I remember correctly.

LKinDC is correct. Same on my Marantz SR7005 and someone had to mention it to me in this thread earlier on. And also I deleted the "INPUT" on my receiver for "TV", since I don't watch OTA (Over The Air) signals. Once I put the INPUT back to "TV" on the receiver, and set HDMI to ON...voila.

ARC works and I can play any app on VieraCast (i.e. YouTube, Pandora) and get the sound coming through my external speakers not the crappy TV speakers built-in.
post #5480 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby2001 View Post

Although cable companies, per FCC regulations as you say, cannot "noticeably" degrade the broadcast, it gets degraded nevertheless.

Not necessarily (or even usually) true. First, a digital signal is not degraded by passing over cable. So if cable does not do any additional processing (bitrate limiting, etc.) then there is NO degradation. Also, cable (& FiOS as well) uses discrete 6MHz channels, fhat have of TWICE the bitrate of an ATSC OTA signal. So one of these QAMs has the capability of carrying the digital content of two OTA stations. In most cable systems they carry two OTA stations on one QAM.

Quote:

If you don't happen to notice it than what is the FCC to say?

Plenty! They can fine the cable system. Actually, the FCC depends on the OTA station (who should care) to complain and ask for enforcement of this provision.

Quote:

If your local "basic" analog cable TV signal is bad for whatever reason it's digital signal will be equally bad. No intentional degradation intended.

Not sure what you are getting at here. But first the PQ of analog (480i) is quite a bit lower than digital (720p/1080i) - so it is hard to compare. Then the characteristic of digital signals are quite tolerant of noise (up to a point) where analog is not. However, loss of adequate signal strength is another matter. This is often a problem for digital, where cable systems have typically placed these QAM channels at higher frequencies. Often, individual branches need additional amplifiers to compensate for losses at these higher frequencies. (But, as pointed out earlier, that too high a level can cause problems too.
post #5481 of 6439 Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
For those of you that have a pc connected to your television, did you have any problems with under or overscanning? And, do you have your pc connected directly to the hdmi input on the tv or running through an A/V receiver?

Past issues with 3 Sharp 70 inch LED panels since 12/30/11 have got me thinking about plasma again.

I'm looking at either the 65VT30 or the 65VT50 when it arrives next month. Like the one sheet of glass design on the VT50, and the alleged brighter output, but can pick up the 30 at a substantial savings. Just thought I would run it by you guys and gals and get your feedback. I was also wondering how reflective the glass on this panel is. I watch tv usually in the evening, so control of light is not an issue. Some have posted it's like looking at a mirror..

Thanks.
post #5482 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Some have posted it's like looking at a mirror..

Thanks.

Yep you can barely see the screen mate, it's so bad! Jokes aside, if you're in a dark room it's simply amazing. I haven't been bothered by that at all. Even right now when the morning light is shining through my window it's fine. But we all know that plasma is more sensitive to light.

By the way, I was yet again blown away by the PQ of Avatar last night. SO MANY COLOURS.. and they're bright as hell

I just can't help but wonder what it would look like with a calibration.. if what people say is true.
post #5483 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:

Yep you can barely see the screen mate, it's so bad! Jokes aside, if you're in a dark room it's simply amazing. I haven't been bothered by that at all. Even right now when the morning light is shining through my window it's fine. But we all know that plasma is more sensitive to light.

By the way, I was yet again blown away by the PQ of Avatar last night. SO MANY COLOURS.. and they're bright as hell

I just can't help but wonder what it would look like with a calibration.. if what people say is true.

You're gonna make me rent the damn movie.. again.. I should've just bought it!!!!!!
post #5484 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 AM

Has anyone used a Monoprice LP wall mount, model 6523 to mount your 65VT30 with good results? If so, what was your installation procedure?

I've always been satisfied with Monoprice products in the past, so picked up the 6523 wall mount to use with my 65VT30. I used the 3/4" spacers to gain a bit more room. After hanging the set (sure feels heavier than 124 lbs), I realized that there wasn't enough room behind the panel to plug in all the cables.

So, had to remove the 65VT30 to install the cables prior to hanging and noticed that the upper edge of the wall plate where the hooks attach to was bent (no longer at 90 degrees)! Apparently, the weight of the panel via the hooks pulling on this edge caused it to distort. I was surprised this happened, since the 6523 is rated for 200 lbs. Maybe my unit is defective, I will check with Monoprice.
post #5485 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkindc View Post

check your receiver to see if you need to enable arc. On my denon it's called hdmi control if i remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill View Post

lkindc is correct. Same on my marantz sr7005 and someone had to mention it to me in this thread earlier on. And also i deleted the "input" on my receiver for "tv", since i don't watch ota (over the air) signals. Once i put the input back to "tv" on the receiver, and set hdmi to on...voila.

Arc works and i can play any app on vieracast (i.e. Youtube, pandora) and get the sound coming through my external speakers not the crappy tv speakers built-in.

You have 5.1 passing back to your receiver or just 2.0?
post #5486 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but since I'm concerned with the quality of the signal going to my VT65, I'll post it here.

Here is the situation. I plan on having my HT setup with my VT65 and also a 26" monitor for everyday/kids viewing. No need to fire up the big boy for hours of nickelodeon/kids DVD's/Blurays. Or as background noise during the day. As a bonus, that way the Panny will be somewhat more of a treat when we watch it.

It appears that the easiest way for me to do this is with a HDMI splitter. My plan is to split the signal after it comes out of my Pioneer VSX-1021 receiver. Before I thought of a splitter, I was planning on running my HDMI out of the receiver to the VT65, and component to the other TV. (It takes 1080P, BTW) But the problem I ran into, was if I wanted to let the kids watch a Bluray,, well, my Bluray source is a PS3, and it only has one output, HDMI, and the VSX 1021 will output only HDMI if HDMI is inputted. So, that makes sending the signal out component to the 26" monitor useless for Bluray, and would require me to run redundant component leads from my DirecTV DVR to source the 26".

So, a HDMI splitter seems the way to go, to give me all my signals to both monitors, and it keeps the cable clutter to a minimum because I can use HDMI all the way, but my big question will that in any way degrade the signal going to the VT65?

Anybody have experience with HDMI splitters? Hopefully the answer is something along the lines of "as long as it is a quality item that passes (certain values) it'll be fine".

I've been thinking about it, and I think a splitter probably will interfere, at least some.
post #5487 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
It should not degrade the signal, but you might run into some HDCP issues when splitting the blu-ray content to the tv and your monitor.

Give this splitter a shot:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

1X2 Mini HDMI® Splitter w/ 3D support
Play any source device like your Playstation 3®, Xbox 360®, 3D blu-ray player, or cable box on two displays simultaneously with this 1x2 splitter!

Supporting resolutions up to 1080p, while handling multiple high definition audio such as Dolby TrueHD™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio™, while also supporting LPCM audio formats.

This splitter is equipped with auto signal amplification & an equalizer which improves signal distance for slightly longer runs. Perfect for any home theater, business, or classroom application.

Features:

3D support
Video formats supported: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p, 576i, 480i
Supports 'Deep Color' (10bit & 12bit)
HIgh definition audio supports: DTS-HD Mater Audio™, Dolby TrueHD™, LPCM 7.1, AC3, DTS, DSD

Synopsis: This High Speed HDMI® splitter gives you all the latest features and functionality. The splitter can be plugged into a single source (i.e. blu-ray player, Playstation 3®, Xbox 360®, or HD cable box) allowing you to output the video and audio to 2 separate displays.
post #5488 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well after having my 55VT30 since May 2011, I was finally amazed for the first time last night with the PQ that my wife even noticed it. I don't know if its because it took so long for it to break in, or if the black levels are changing, but the PQ was awesome. in fact, I think it got brighter? Because I needed to put the gamma down a notch, and that did the trick.

Even xbox looks better now.. weird how it changes like that.

Mo
post #5489 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM

Here is a noob question. I want to use the digital audio out on my tc-p65vt30 to send audio to an xbox headset that I have. I went to microcenter yesterday and bought an optical digital audio toslink cable but it didnt fit. What cable should I have bought? Is it just a regular 3.5mm audio cable?

TIA.
post #5490 of 6439 Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz_1 View Post

Here is a noob question. I want to use the digital audio out on my tc-p65vt30 to send audio to an xbox headset that I have. I went to microcenter yesterday and bought an optical digital audio toslink cable but it didnt fit. What cable should I have bought? Is it just a regular 3.5mm audio cable?

TIA.

Did you use the adapter included with the VT?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page