AVS Forum banner

Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk]

757K views 6K replies 740 participants last post by  whipit 
#1 ·

2 Days ago the Panasonic TC-P55VT30 hit the streets. The Panasonic TC-P65VT30 have hit too. In Europe VT30 will be available in 42, 50, 55 and 65 inches and will be called TX-P42VT30, TX-P50VT30, TX-P55VT30 and TX-P65VT30. The TV is basically the same.

Chad B ( Read about Chad B, Click Here ) stopped by for a visit and tested and reviewed the TC-P65VT30 >>> Click Here

The Eagles Have Landed !!

Review of the European Model TC-P50VT30 >>> Click Here

Another Review for the VT30 >>> Click Here She tested very well !!

See less See more
#4,605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 /forum/post/21385219

Beatlejoose, please keep us posted on what happens with your dealings w/ Panasonic. I have the same issue w/ my tv unless I reduce brightness to 51 on blurays or low 30s for Directv. I am going to have Panasonic come out and check it out. Others have said they do not have this issue, I cannot believe that it is standard for me to have to reduce brightness into the low 30's using cnet's THX settings to avoid this dancing green pixels. The Homeland season finale was unwatchable (particularly the night scene at the end where Walker and Brody meet) unless I reduced brightness to 33. Otherwise, I have the exact issue posted in your video.

I will let you know if Panasonic will do anything at all, so far they just rely on their sub contractors, I would be willing to take this panel to a Best Buy and compare it with the one on display, there would be big PQ differences. I am sending them another video of this A-Board processors picture in THX mode. This pixel scattering is in letterbox as well as darker content. I tried to show just what you are asking in my video. I panned on the boarder of the letterbox and into the content to show its crosses over from content to boarder. Its all over the screen as long as its getting its source from any of the two sources Satellite TV or Blu-Ray player.

#4,606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 /forum/post/21385219

Beatlejoose, please keep us posted on what happens with your dealings w/ Panasonic. I have the same issue w/ my tv unless I reduce brightness to 51 on blurays or low 30s for Directv. I am going to have Panasonic come out and check it out. Others have said they do not have this issue, I cannot believe that it is standard for me to have to reduce brightness into the low 30's using cnet's THX settings to avoid this dancing green pixels. The Homeland season finale was unwatchable (particularly the night scene at the end where Walker and Brody meet) unless I reduced brightness to 33. Otherwise, I have the exact issue posted in your video.

I will try to keep up with posting, I am upset, I know this isn't everyones problem, but I have had a bad time of it unluckily. Panasonic has only brought out a subcontractor and they are in disagreement with me the second time around, after installation of A-board. The first time, he agreed in seconds, which I thought was a bit quick, but I thought maybe he saw this before.

I understand that, they also deal with many different sets and manufacturers, so any given tech may not care to understand what the potential these sets have nor do they have to care like you and I who forked out major dollars for these sets. This tech never heard of the FBR issue with these sets for example. So what really does he have as expertise other than as a parts changer? I asked him if he has worked with this set before and he said no. So rightfully he might not know what to expect out of them.

#4,608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision /forum/post/21388407

**2.1 FIRMWARE WARNING**

Well, I installed the 2.1 calibration firmware and found two bugs with it!

(1) I don't use CATS but it no longer works in Standard picture mode. Toggling it on/off in Standard picture mode does nothing. It works in other picture modes.

(2) Toggling back and forth several times between Standard picture mode (with Contrast set at 100) and Vivid picture mode causes Standard picture mode to take a severe drop in brightness. Toggling it back and forth again between Standard and Vivid gets Standard picture mode's brightness back up.

I installed the 2.1 firmware twice and still have the above same two bugs. I reset all picture modes. Same two bugs. I tried flashing the latest 2.2 firmware. Same two bugs. Just passing this on so beware of these issues if you plan to try the 2.1 firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision /forum/post/21391572

Several people have already confirmed the same finding as me. You have to do as I posted to see these issues. If you just leave it in THX or Custom picture mode you will not see these bugs. Reads my post, set the contrast to 100 in Standard mode and toggle over back and forth into Vivid picture mode and you'll see the issues that firmware 2.1 has. Or, just change to Standard (contrast at 100) picture mode and toggle CATS on/off and you will see that it does not work anymore in Standard picture mode but works fine in all others.

I could get CATS to work in Standard with contrast and brightness both set to 50. It loses its effect at 70+.. With contrast set to 100 it does not work at all. Which is not right as CATS dims the set.. So the higher in Contrast you go the harder it should work.. Also with contrast set to 100 in Standard picture mode.. If you toggle back and forth into Vivid several times eventually Standard picture mode will drop brightness until you toggle some more, then it will come back.

That update is for those doing a proper calibration (it's actually labeled for Professional installers only though it's not a private link/download and the link is posted in several places).

Calibrators are disabling C.A.T.S. and in nearly all cases won't calibrate Standard and never Vivid (and you wouldn't want to if your goal is to have an image close to the references).

I understand there are some Owners that like those Picture Modes and even C.A.T.S. and there are also those who don't like the calibrated picture. If you don't plan on having your display calibrated properly or you don't like the calibrated picture, I wouldn't have the optional update installed.

#4,609 ·
Guys,

I've had my 65VT30 now for 2 days, and I posted my initial impressions the other day. I've been keeping up with this thread so I would have a good idea what to expect when I got it.

I don't know what the fluctuating brightness issue is or the A-Board issue as I've not experienced the kinds of issues that relate yet. My TV is a July 2011 build. Regardless, the TV is being exchanged because there are scratches on the glass. I'm pretty sure they were done by the guys who delivered it. Very minor and hard to see, but still there on the glass. Plus a bit of dirty caught behind the glass on the lower right. You can't see it though when watching it 12 feet away.

The main thing I wanted to address here is that in the 2 evenings I've had to watch it, the second night I set the Custom settings to 50 for brightness and contrast and color at 40 and sharpness at zero. It made it more watchable while breaking it in. Even though it's being exchanged, I can't abuse this set for the next guy who gets it. So with these settings, I watched a large portion of Aliens. You guys speak of Batman and the black levels on that movie. I have it, but am waiting till this set is broken in before watching it. I wonder if you guys ever thought Aliens was a good torture test because that blu ray is amazing!

There are many dark scenes from the salvage ship that picks up Ripley's escape shuttle, to the sequences when they first enter the colony and the Marines are attacked by the aliens in the reactor. This is some pretty deep s*@t!

The close-ups of Ripley from when she wakes up from her nightmare and washes her face, to the later shots in the APC working with Gorman look fantastic! This is my first time actually seeing a blu ray in 1080p. I have for the last 6 years a Pioneer 50" 1130HD Elite but it's pre-Kuro and 720 resolution. This set looks great! My Pioneer I will keep, but the VT30 sure looked great!

With the settings I described above, I didn't see any issues. No fluctuation yet, at least I don't know what to look for. I suppose if I get lucky, the next set will not have any issues. And maybe a later build. If this set breaks in well, I'll be happy with it after calibration. So far, so good.

#4,611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlejoose /forum/post/21392943

I will try to keep up with posting, I am upset, I know this isn't everyones problem, but I have had a bad time of it unluckily. Panasonic has only brought out a subcontractor and they are in disagreement with me the second time around, after installation of A-board. The first time, he agreed in seconds, which I thought was a bit quick, but I thought maybe he saw this before.

I understand that, they also deal with many different sets and manufacturers, so any given tech may not care to understand what the potential these sets have nor do they have to care like you and I who forked out major dollars for these sets. This tech never heard of the FBR issue with these sets for example. So what really does he have as expertise other than as a parts changer? I asked him if he has worked with this set before and he said no. So rightfully he might not know what to expect out of them.

Update on my dealings with panasonic's sub contractor in Chicago. I sent them your video links since I have the exact issue. They called me right away and said they had seen this problem before. They are coming on Tuesday to swap the SS board (they ordered that part) and perhaps they said make some adjustments to the power supply. Hopefully this solves the issue, and I will post whether it is fixed. Sorry to hear you are having problems with your sub contractor - that is extremely frustrating.

#4,618 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 /forum/post/21396975

Dnice will be here at the house within a few mins to start working on my new 65VT30.

You're getting a calibration on Christmas Day? Wow!--nice present!

#4,619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan /forum/post/0

Yes, he got a calibration for Christmas and I got a 5020FD

#4,620 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan /forum/post/21397631

Dnice spent a good 2.5 hours on my VT30. Sure looks much better! He popped in Darknite in my OPPO83 and sure looked great. I will miss my 5020, but with the biggger 65" VT with it's close to Kuro looking pic i should be fine.

#4,621 ·
After viewing some more videos on Youtube concerning FBr I've come to realize that the changing brightness level on my 50VT3 is different from the usual FBr that plagued August and earlier models of the VT30.

I had a Panasonic technician out a few days ago and between him and the tech rep on the phone they were thoroughly stumped by the varying brightness that I am getting. I'll be having a special techician come out after the first of the year to look at it.

No one has noticed any changing brightness issues on August and later models? This brightness issue isn't like the FBr but affects the entire screen's brightness regardless of what mode the TV is in. Its more noticeable in brighter modes, torch mode especially. Something as simple as having a white screen up and then opening the picture quality menu will cause the brightness to increase across the whole panel slightly (but noticeable). Exiting causes it to darken slightly again.

Another video I have shot showing this. Watch the right side of the screen to see the brightness changing. The setting I'm playing around with is "Color remaster" and it has no affect on actual brightness. What looks like color changing is actually a combination of my phone cam plus the brightness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgv9h4wGVE

#4,623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 /forum/post/21393116

Guess i got lucky with my new 65VT30.

Me too. No problems. October build. My sister in law just bought a 55st30 with a May build. I checked in the service menu and the PDP EEP value is the 63.54 higher value patch.

#4,624 ·
I feel like some people are getting a little ridiculous with the fluctuating brightness. Your TVs are not defective August and higher. If they are it's easily fixed. Who cares enjoy the set.

#4,625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP /forum/post/21398416

vix86

Are you using the menu example to show what happens at other times with actual content or are you only concerned about how the brightness changes when the menus are displayed?

Its mainly to demonstrate the problem I see elsewhere. I mainly use my TV as a monitor and I see the fluctuations quite often in word processors and the like. I haven't had the chance to go out and get a bluray and test it yet on some of the stuff that people claim that FBr is an issue. I mean if the problem is a result of just how the power/electronics work on the TV then fine, so be it, but I want to hear Panasonic admit to me that is what it is and not an actual defect.

@Semp1: If you pay $1500-2000+ for something and its not working quite like you expect and you suspect it might be broke. Wouldn't you be a little concerned.

#4,626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vix86 /forum/post/0

Its mainly to demonstrate the problem I see elsewhere. I mainly use my TV as a monitor and I see the fluctuations quite often in word processors and the like. I haven't had the chance to go out and get a bluray and test it yet on some of the stuff that people claim that FBr is an issue. I mean if the problem is a result of just how the power/electronics work on the TV then fine, so be it, but I want to hear Panasonic admit to me that is what it is and not an actual defect.

@Semp1: If you pay $1500-2000+ for something and its not working quite like you expect and you suspect it might be broke. Wouldn't you be a little concerned.

Yes I paid $3,000+ for my set but guess what I'm not going nuts over it. I ask a question of concern, i get an answer and I move on and that's it. If its defective I'll exchange it. It's not that serious and it definitely doesn't consume my life like some on this forum that it seems to do.

#4,628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/21399079

Quick(and very basic) question guys, what is the ideal height to mount the 65vt30? Don't want to have to patch up too many holes getting this right? Should it be middle of the screen at eye level? Something else? Thanks guys.

The last I heard you want the bottom third line at eye level. So take the screen and divide it horizontally into thirds then use the bottom line.

#4,629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 /forum/post/21398211

Dnice spent a good 2.5 hours on my VT30. Sure looks much better! He popped in Darknite in my OPPO83 and sure looked great. I will miss my 5020, but with the biggger 65" VT with it's close to Kuro looking pic i should be fine.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've added it to the flat panel (post #2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.

Isn't a 5020 a high price to pay for a calibration even if it is D-Nice doing the work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.