Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 186 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5551 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So... not following all the subscribed methods to break in my new 65vt30, the majority of my viewing was in a 'tweaked' THX mode watching the discovery channel. This lasted ~ 6 weeks / 250 - 300 hrs.

I just 'happened' to be playing with the vertical screen wipe, and to my horror, I noticed the faint outline of that dammed DC logo! Slightly darker and fuzzy, but still there. I ran the screen wipe for hours - no change. My 'discovery' was around the first of the year. The logo burn only appears during white/light, and strangely, green (golf) scenes. You have to look for it, but it is there.

So... no more DC since Jan 1, 2012. I've heard that running Dnice break in slides would not help, but none-the-less, I ran the slides for ~36 hours over a period of 2 weeks. While not eliminated, the ghost of the DC logo is fading.
I'm not sure if the 'fading' is a result of my actions, or simply a function of the set aging and NOT watching the discovery channel.

I've scanned the interweb for additional options to eliminate this bugger -but I do not think there are any additional methods to repair this issue. Has anyone else seen burn in issues on the Tc-p65vt30 such as described above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Liked: 11
Awaiting the arrival of Doug Weil to calibrate my Panny this morning.
post #5553 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Doug sounds like a very skilled calibrator and I'm going to have him calibrate my 65vt30 as well. I'll be interested to hear how it goes?

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5554 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not easy to admit I watch Revenge (mainly due to my fiance). I've noticed a slight reddish tint to the black level during dark scenes. If anyone watches, do you notice this? The blacks look great on everything else with no red tint.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5555 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Well, like most projects I take on, I've hit a roadblock pretty early. Got my 65VT30 upstairs on about Hour 50 of the first 100 hour break-in.

Meanwhile, decided to get the wall mount and cuts in the wall all ready this weekend. The mount is a Sanus VMPL3, and I will be going across 3 studs.

Well, the speed bump.....the studs on the wall the TV is going to go on are laid "width-wise", as opposed to "depth-wise". I don't know the correct terminology. Basically, I'm seeing the 3 1/2" face of the stud, not the 1 1/2" face of the stud. So, that means, I only have 1 1/2" of depth for the lag bolts to get engagement before running into the mortar block behind it.

My question is this - what is a better solution? My two initial thoughts are, 1) after measuring the Sanus mount, I can get 4 bolts in each stud because of the 3 1/2" width, not just the normal 2. So, I'll then have 12 lag bolts with 1 1/2" of engagement on the 3 studs. Or option 2) do I do some wall surgery, cut out the sheetrock around the studs, and put another 2x4 or 4x4 on top of the existing studs to get some added depth? My concern with this option is a weakened joint with all the abutments in it.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
post #5556 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

It's not easy to admit I watch Revenge (mainly due to my fiance). I've noticed a slight reddish tint to the black level during dark scenes. If anyone watches, do you notice this? The blacks look great on everything else with no red tint.

Thanks

That's strange. Most of the red-based complaints about the VT30 that I have heard manifest themselves in the form of sunburned appearing skin tones, as opposed to weird blacks.
post #5557 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

That's weird. Most of the red-based complaints about the VT30 that I have heard manifests themselves in the form of sunburned appearing skin tones, as opposed to weird blacks.

Mine has this problem.

HH
post #5558 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Doug is about two hours into it. Very thorough. I feel like I'm taking a course in calibration. He explains everything.
post #5559 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

Doug is about two hours into it. Very thorough. I feel like I'm taking a course in calibration. He explains everything.

You're a lucky (and smart) dude, debyrd!

Don't forget: after teasing us like this, the least you can do is post your before and after calibration reports!
post #5560 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

HH and others,

is your problem sunburnt looking flesh tones at times or reddish black tint like i see on Revenge? It's weird since i only see this on revenge...thus im thinking its the show and not the vt30? Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5561 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

I can understand. The 65" is one heavy SOB!!

Try offering some $$ politely... works every time!!

I can't imagine having to pack this titanic of a TV lol..

My wife had to help the delivery guy haul ours into my house. The Pilot shipping bill even said in two places that is was supposed to be 2 man. Shipping companies are a joke.

And you should never have to tip someone to do their job, that's only if they do their job better than average. Course that could be the problem with a lot of these drivers, they are accustomed to tips and expect it. The story of america, entitlement.

As for mounting the TV, my brother and I managed, and we aren't large guys by any means.
post #5562 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorf View Post

Well, like most projects I take on, I've hit a roadblock pretty early. Got my 65VT30 upstairs on about Hour 50 of the first 100 hour break-in.

Meanwhile, decided to get the wall mount and cuts in the wall all ready this weekend. The mount is a Sanus VMPL3, and I will be going across 3 studs.

Well, the speed bump.....the studs on the wall the TV is going to go on are laid "width-wise", as opposed to "depth-wise". I don't know the correct terminology. Basically, I'm seeing the 3 1/2" face of the stud, not the 1 1/2" face of the stud. So, that means, I only have 1 1/2" of depth for the lag bolts to get engagement before running into the mortar block behind it.

My question is this - what is a better solution? My two initial thoughts are, 1) after measuring the Sanus mount, I can get 4 bolts in each stud because of the 3 1/2" width, not just the normal 2. So, I'll then have 12 lag bolts with 1 1/2" of engagement on the 3 studs. Or option 2) do I do some wall surgery, cut out the sheetrock around the studs, and put another 2x4 or 4x4 on top of the existing studs to get some added depth? My concern with this option is a weakened joint with all the abutments in it.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

I would cut out the drywall to the point that you can put a 2x4 across all three studs. One top and one bottom I would suspect. Screw the 2x4's into the studs on the ends with only one or two screws, leaving room for the bolts of course. Only bolt the middle stud, no screws. That way most of the weight will be held in the middle and the sides won't do much more than support the tilt of the tv, while the whole thing will be greatly re-enforced.

My 65vt30 is mounted to only two studs and sticks out a good 22" on the corner mount I'm using. It's solid as can be even with the insane torque that must be putting on it. Secured with only 6 bolts.
post #5563 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

My wife had to help the delivery guy haul ours into my house. The Pilot shipping bill even said in two places that is was supposed to be 2 man. Shipping companies are a joke.

And you should never have to tip someone to do their job, that's only if they do their job better than average. Course that could be the problem with a lot of these drivers, they are accustomed to tips and expect it. The story of america, entitlement.

As for mounting the TV, my brother and I managed, and we aren't large guys by any means.

The thought of tipping the delivery guys never even occurred to me. I paid top dollar at a store when the TV came out and free delivery was included. Do people feel guilty for not tipping? A lot of times I do not think to tip. I am not sure when all of these services became tip worthy. The only place I tip is where I know the people are not making minimum wage. i.e. waiters / waitresses.
post #5564 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Doug sounds like a very skilled calibrator and I'm going to have him calibrate my 65vt30 as well. I'll be interested to hear how it goes?

Thanks

Doug does an excellent job! He has calibrated 4 of my tv's over the years, most recently my Kuro 500m. Very professional and great attention to detail. He continually fine tunes to get every last drop out of your display.
post #5565 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Well I talked to Amazon and they told me that they no longer allow the carrier service to help put tv on the home theater stand I have which is small and requires just one person on one end and the other on the other end to lift from floor and place it on the home theater stand which is just a flat table.

Would take little effort and no more then 10 seconds.

They use to when I bought my other tv last summer. They took it out of the box and the stand and put it together and then lifted the tv into the stand table plus plugged it in and turned it on to see if it worked

This time they just took the top of the box off and showed me that the screen was good and left.

I asked if they would put the stand on it and help me lifted into the table and they said Amazon wont let them.

He also would not plug it because he says plasmas are suppose to be set at room temperature for a couple of hours before plugging it in.

Amazon told me that they are suppose to put the included stand and plug it in but they no longer can help put it on any home theater table or stand.

My issue is now that they will come Monday to pick up the current damaged VT30 and bring me a new one, they will expect for me to box up the damaged one and hand it to them which I cant do because I live alone

I got a neighbor last week to come help me put the stand and raise it from the floor but I cannot count on that to happen each time.

I might tell them that I will give each $10 and see if they will help me quickly
post #5566 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know the contrast ratio on the vt30? I had a Samsung D7000 briefly rated at 15,000,000 to 1 and the Panasonic contrast appears noticeably better.

Andrew Sabin
post #5567 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Anyone know the contrast ratio on the vt30? I had a Samsung D7000 briefly rated at 15,000,000 to 1 and the Panasonic contrast appears noticeably better.

I have both sets the 59D7000 and the 65VT30 and the Panny colors are incredible but not as nice as the Sammy but the Contrast and Motion Contrast is superior to me on the Panny not to mention the Shadow detail

IMO
post #5568 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Do you have to buy Panasonic brand 3d glasses, or are there other options available? Also, how can I check the hours on the set?
post #5569 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

Do you have to buy Panasonic brand 3d glasses, or are there other options available? Also, how can I check the hours on the set?

See above for any post from mvp2005fan and in his signature he has a link to a FAQ for this model and the VT25. There, you'll see one answer to your question.
post #5570 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Thanks

I too watch Revenge and have noticed the entire program has a red/orange hue to it. My 65VT30 will be here on Friday and I'll check it when it arrives. I haven't noticed a red tinge to the blacks on either of my Samsung LEDs but, it is broadcast on ABC - the worst channel for HD content - so I rarely pay attention to abnormalities as they are typically inherent to the broadcast. ABC only broadcasts in 720P and almost all their content is riddled with artifacts and is washed out. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

fdsfds
post #5571 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I too watch Revenge and have noticed the entire program has a red/orange hue to it. My 65VT30 will be here on Friday and I'll check it when it arrives. I haven't noticed a red tinge to the blacks on either of my Samsung LEDs but, it is broadcast on ABC - the worst channel for HD content - so I rarely pay attention to abnormalities as they are typically inherent to the broadcast. ABC only broadcasts in 720P and almost all their content is riddled with artifacts and is washed out. I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

720p and artifacts are an entirely different issue than a red tinge to blacks. The latter relates to a balance between Red, Green & Blue and networks/stations/etc. really don't do anything to impact that.

If you were only seeing that tinge on Revenge, then, perhaps, that was the way the director wanted it to be (or even the adjustment of their monitors. (If you are seeing it on more programs, then it is more likely the adjustment of your particular VT30. Or even a little bit of both. )

Dave Hancock
post #5572 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Merely pointing out that ABC is prone to issues, not implying in any way that the red hue is caused by artifacts or resolution.

fdsfds
post #5573 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM

This should work...I used it on the VT25 and my currrent vT30. You'll also see how many times the set has been powered on.
Hours of operation instructions:

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).
2. Press the {2} button on the remote to see SRV-TOOL.
3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear.
4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.

I followed thes and the tv will not turn back on using the remote or pressing the power button on the tv. The power indicator light just keeps blinking. Can you guys help me out on this on?.

Unplugged the tv for 10 minutes and it powered on afterwards. Thank god!
post #5574 of 6436 Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the universal Sony Playstaion glasses and I'd say they work as good or better than the Panny glasses. I bought them for under $60 a piece on Amazon. The lenses are actually bigger and I think they fit better than the Panny glasses. The contrast and colors are essentially the same. Don't use the Keydex universal glasses, the contrast isn't as good.

Andrew Sabin
post #5575 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 AM

Been gaming even more now and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Playing BF3 doesn't seem to be any problem at all because when you die the huds disappear (they are also quite transparent) and in between games as well so there's really no problem.

Played some Mass Effect 2 as well and the huds on that game is not transparent at all, ie your squad members faces and such but there's a lot of cut-scenes and when you are out of combat, in a city or on your ship, there is no hud so it's essentially the same as watching a movie.

The biggest problem I had was when I played Mass Effect 3 demo Multiplayer. There was a very bright red cross on the screen, indicating what abilities to on your controller, and I could see this when running the screen wash so I just stopped playing that seeing as my set haven't even reached 100hours. Annoyed me a bit but hopefully it'll get better.. don't want to experiment to much with such things right now.

I also finished watching Sammy's Adventure in 3D and my god it looks so freaking good! The graphics in 3D is amazing and some moments were astonishing!
post #5576 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

a friend just got one of these for cheep using a discount he gets through Ford Motor Company, I know no price talk so if you want to know the price check my other post in a different thread for that

but so far I think its a great TV, not as good as my Elite from 2+ years ago but still great color accuracy

one major problem I found was that there seems to be no way to calibrate the 2D and 3D separately and that could be a problem - also the service menu defaults to 2D I think? - I have to do some more playing around with the isf modes (if it has those) and maybe something can be done that way

I have a Minolta LS-100 and CS-200, and still my Elite is 0.001 fl while this is 0.003-0.005, its still sorta new so I plan on getting a better reading latter when its properly broken-in

I want the retro skin back please
post #5577 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

You're a lucky (and smart) dude, debyrd!

Don't forget: after teasing us like this, the least you can do is post your before and after calibration reports!

The picture looks great of course. I am very happy with Doug's calibration.
Watched a little Blu-ray and a lot of Comcast last night. Comcast looks quite good in this area, by the way.

Sorry there isn't much to report with regards to settings.
He did a pre-calibration run at first and noted a few minor errors. it wasn't
all that bad but there was room for imrovement.
I have been watching it in the custom mode using those now famous D-Nice settings. But we all know there is no cookie-cutter setup for all TVs.

He calibrated THX first, then created a 'new' setting group.
In addition to my old 'custom' menu I now have an ISF selection.
It is totally locked. Cocktail proof!

Since THX is partially locked to the technician, it is not as accurate as the ISF calibration.
post #5578 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na300zx View Post

This should work...I used it on the VT25 and my currrent vT30. You'll also see how many times the set has been powered on.
Hours of operation instructions:

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).
2. Press the {2} button on the remote to see SRV-TOOL.
3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear.
4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.

I followed thes and the tv will not turn back on using the remote or pressing the power button on the tv. The power indicator light just keeps blinking. Can you guys help me out on this on?.

Unplugged the tv for 10 minutes and it powered on afterwards. Thank god!

Glad it worked out for you. There is also a link in the FAQ for a reset procedure if you ever get stuck again. Another thing to remember is sometimes the television's response to these non-routine procedures is a little slow to the key presses.
post #5579 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

The picture looks great of course. I am very happy with Doug's calibration.
Watched a little Blu-ray and a lot of Comcast last night. Comcast looks quite good in this area, by the way.

Sorry there isn't much to report with regards to settings.
He did a pre-calibration run at first and noted a few minor errors. it wasn't
all that bad but there was room for imrovement.
I have been watching it in the custom mode using those now famous D-Nice settings. But we all know there is no cookie-cutter setup for all TVs.

He calibrated THX first, then created a 'new' setting group.
In addition to my old 'custom' menu I now have an ISF selection.
It is totally locked. Cocktail proof!

Since THX is partially locked to the technician, it is not as accurate as the ISF calibration.

Glad things worked out so well!

(Just to clarify--the reports I was referring to were the before and after performance reports (not the settings themselves--those are specific and applicable only to your TV as you point out). It's always interesting to me (and perhaps others) to see the measured improvements.)

Enjoy your TV!
post #5580 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Debyrd,

So does your picture look noticeably better in ISF mode than your previous custom settings? How do colors and fleshtones look now? I assume you have the 2.1, then 2.2 firmware. Thanks

Andrew Sabin
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page