Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Glad things worked out so well!

(Just to clarify--the reports I was referring to were the before and after performance reports (not the settings themselves--those are specific and applicable only to your TV as you point out). It's always interesting to me (and perhaps others) to see the measured improvements.)

Enjoy your TV!

Sorry, what I should have said is I didn't have the 'before and after' charts.
But I do now! Doug had another session right after he finished here so he e-mailed me the PDF images just now. I'll check with him and if it is ok I will post those. They are very telling of just how good he is.
Tom Riddle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet25 View Post

Has anyone used a Monoprice LP wall mount, model 6523 to mount your 65VT30 with good results? If so, what was your installation procedure?

I've always been satisfied with Monoprice products in the past, so picked up the 6523 wall mount to use with my 65VT30. I used the 3/4" spacers to gain a bit more room. After hanging the set (sure feels heavier than 124 lbs), I realized that there wasn't enough room behind the panel to plug in all the cables.

So, had to remove the 65VT30 to install the cables prior to hanging and noticed that the upper edge of the wall plate where the hooks attach to was bent (no longer at 90 degrees)! Apparently, the weight of the panel via the hooks pulling on this edge caused it to distort. I was surprised this happened, since the 6523 is rated for 200 lbs. Maybe my unit is defective, I will check with Monoprice.

Monoprice came through with a replacement. I have been a Monoprice customer for many years - you never know how good a company is until you deal with them when there are issues. Monoprice gets an A+

With LP mounts, it is always a challenge dealing with the cables on the back of the panel. What worked for me with the 6523 is that I was able to hang the unit to the wall mount using only the top hooks. This allowed the bottom to swing away from the wall far enough to plug in the cables. Then we remounted using both sets of hooks.
post #5583 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Let's see how this looks...
post #5584 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM

This is the post calibration for color. The previous image is pre-calibration using some settings I got from this forum.
post #5585 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM

The grayscale before and after.

post #5586 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM

These images are from the calibration session done by Doug Weil (DroptheRemote) on February 18, 2012. The panel is the TC-P55VT30 purchased from Best Buy Magnolia (Kennessaw, GA) in September, 2011. It has several hundred hours on it.

Prior to Doug's visit we exchanged several e-mails and phone calls over the course of a few weeks. The good calibrators make rounds about the country or region so setting up a session can take a little time. A week or so prior to the appointment, he gave me specific instructions for downloading and installing firmware updates.

He requested information about the devices connected to the TV such as Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Comcast DVR, etc. And he wanted to be sure all the original remote control units were available to him.
He requested that the set be turned on for at least an hour before the calibration. It is important for the room to be pretty dark for the test equipment to function correctly, especially for the low level calibration.

He arrived right on time at 10am. We brought his equipment in and he went right to work. Setup time can vary but is usually about half an hour.

This is only my second calibration session. I had my Philips 42" plasma calibrated in the Spring of 2007 by Randy Tomlinson who worked with the same 'Lion AV' Group as Doug. I really wanted Randy to tune up my new TV but I could not locate him. I came across Doug in the process and he informed me that Randy was killed in an airplane accident shortly after he set up my Philips. The two men knew each other.

So, I sort of knew what to expect.
The control signal from the computer is RS-232. It seems a bit 'retro' for such a modern TV to require that connection but it works. The technician can then do a little magic and get inside the calibration menu. A signal generator creates the specific images that are then read by a 'camera-like device' that sits on a tripod a few inches from the TV. Sorry I can't recall the proper name for the device but it is impressive.

After the equipment was set up Doug did a scan using the settings I had applied in the Custom mode. He also did a 'pre-calibration' check in the THX mode.
(I did not post the THX images at this time). While the settings were not terrible, there was room for improvement.

Doug is quite good at explaining the process. He was also quite patient with some of my silly questions. I work in the broadcast engineer field, but it is radio. I know very little about how color TV works. But I know more today than yesterday after the session. He explained every aspect of what he was doing each step of the way. He was here for more than three hours and was busy the entire time.

My old custom settings are still intact so I can go back and forth to compare the before and after. It really is neat to see how much better things look, especially the darker lit images.

I asked Doug to create a 'Day ISF' mode although we mostly watch TV at night. He did some quick measurements and we decided it wasn't worth the effort for a slightly brighter picture. The Night ISF mode is pretty bright really.

I highly recommend Doug as your calibrator. I am very impressed.

"Lion AV Consultants" web site has details for booking.

This review probably belongs in the calibration thread but since I started the discussion here yesterday I just posted here. Perhaps there is some way to link it. Today is the first time I ever posted images.

-Dick
post #5587 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Well after watching more than 15 films, mostly in 2D but a few in 3D, much TV programming both through Dish and Optimum, (wish they had 1080P and not 720) I have come to the conclusion that my TCP55VT30 is the best television I have ever watched, in all lighting conditions as well. In addition to watching Blu Rays on my Oppo BDP 95 I have streamed 1080P through VUDU. Of course plasma is best viewed in total darkness and in that setting the rich inky blacks, variation in shades of grey, and realistic depth in color create an immersion in the viewing experience that in 2D makes me feel like I am in a 3D world with every detail so life like that the better the source the more I am at one with what I am watching. I really cannot believe how good this panel is. I have decided t get it calibrated, something I have not done before, but given how great the viewing experience is I think it is worth it to get every thing out of the potential this panel has to offer. Thank you Panasonic for another out of the park home run.
post #5588 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

The grayscale before and after.

Looks great. While nothing was horrible before, there were some dE values before. This looks pretty darn tight. Congrats!
post #5589 of 6436 Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Out of simple curiousity, is it possible to have Fbr issues even with the updated EPROM settings? I have an August build 65VT30, with the updated EPROM and have noticed a few times what could only be described as Fbr. The most significant is during the opening sequence of Glee. After the opening scene where the opening title comes out on the all black screen. In custom mode when this comes on, it is quite clear that the black brightens a bit, two flashes actually. If I put the tv in game mode, it only does it once and is a lot less noticeable. Vivid, Cinema, or THX mode and it doesn't happen at all. So why the other two modes? I don't think I want to use Game as my setting to watch tv and vivid takes some getting use to, plus the skin tones don't look right.

PS - what settings do people use for proper skin tones? Should the tv be set at warm 2 (more red), normal, or cool 2 (more blue). Does anyone use cool 2?

Also, why do the HDMI inputs produce more red in the picture when compared to the component input?
post #5590 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 AM

Just ordered a P65VT30 and I'm trying to read up on getting this monster up and running. Gotta say, all this info and research is making my head spin. Anyone here just start watching the TV right out of the box as normal and had no problems?

Is there anything I should avoid with this new plasma at the start or ever, physical or settings-wise? For example, I know that I should always keep the TV upright as lying it down flat could damage it. Anything wrong with setting brightness/contrast/whatever too high at first (or ever)?

And regarding that 100 hour break-in procedure, what about just running those slides for 50 or 20 hours? Can you watch regular TV in between and just let them run when you're not watching it or do you have to run it for X hours straight before normal viewing?

Finally, how is Panasonic with their one-year standard warranty? What options do you have if the TV breaks down after that first year?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. This is my first purchase of this scale and as you can imagine I'm worried about a lot of stuff.
post #5591 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazybear View Post

Just ordered a P65VT30 and I'm trying to read up on getting this monster up and running. Gotta say, all this info and research is making my head spin. Anyone here just start watching the TV right out of the box as normal and had no problems?

Is there anything I should avoid with this new plasma at the start or ever, physical or settings-wise? For example, I know that I should always keep the TV upright as lying it down flat could damage it. Anything wrong with setting brightness/contrast/whatever too high at first (or ever)?

And regarding that 100 hour break-in procedure, what about just running those slides for 50 or 20 hours? Can you watch regular TV in between and just let them run when you're not watching it or do you have to run it for X hours straight before normal viewing?

Finally, how is Panasonic with their one-year standard warranty? What options do you have if the TV breaks down after that first year?

Any answers are greatly appreciated. This is my first purchase of this scale and as you can imagine I'm worried about a lot of stuff.

If you just want to watch it, I liked THX with Warm1.
Calibrating can open a whole can of worms!
post #5592 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I just ran mine in THX mode for properly a good month before finally applying D-nice's settings and my picture looks great. D-nice's setting are not to take place of having your television set calibrated but it's a good starting off point. Has far as if someone will see a huge difference after having their set calibrated it's all in the eye of the person watching the TV.
post #5593 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Out of simple curiousity, is it possible to have Fbr issues even with the updated EPROM settings? I have an August build 65VT30, with the updated EPROM and have noticed a few times what could only be described as Fbr.
PS - what settings do people use for proper skin tones? Should the tv be set at warm 2 (more red), normal, or cool 2 (more blue). Does anyone use cool 2?

Also, why do the HDMI inputs produce more red in the picture when compared to the component input?

First, yes the fix does not entirely eliminate the problem, but should make it much less frequent/noticeable. Second, after using THX mode for months, I applied D-Nice's settings in Custom and prefer those for skin colors and for overall PQ. Third, each input needs to be separately calibrated so yes, they can look different out of the box.
post #5594 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just received my 65VT30 a week ago, and love it! D-Nice's setting are amazing. However, I am conflicted to put the tv on 60 hz or 90 hz for blu-rays. When watching North by Northwest, 60 Hz tends to look slightly better. In a couple of shots at the beginning of the film (2:52, 2:58, and 3:12) Cary Grant and his secretary are walking down the street and few ladies cut in front of them. When playing in 96hz, the each of ladies' sides of their faces appears to have a interlacing red and green tint, almost like a cheap 3D effect. When switched to 60hz, the green is gone and normal flesh tones are prevalent. So 60hz hands down right? However, with the 2.2 firmware update (which supposedly 96hz viewing) and with Cnet and a few others have mentioning 96hz has a slightly higher black level than 60hz. Would 90hz be the way to go, even with the red and red effect? Anybody else have the North by Northwest blu-ray and see the same thing???

Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

I see the effect you're referring to during the same rare type of scenes. When I was channel surfing last night, I happened to stop on War of the Worlds (not a great movie). When several soldiers walked quickly across the front part of the my vt30, I observed this red and green interlacing effect on the outlines of their body (noticeable in both 60hz and 96hz). This movie definitely has a unique (darker) color palette. What's interesting is I could go days without observing this and then with the right content and scene, it's surprisingly prevalent. Does anyone else observe this with certain content? It's hard to replicate since it happens very rarely. Is this a plasma thing? Although motion is much smoother on my VT30, I don't see this on my Sony LCD (it has ghosting during motion instead)...guess nothing is perfect.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5595 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

These images are from the calibration session done by Doug Weil on February 18, 2012. The panel is the TC-P55VT30 purchased from Best Buy Magnolia (Kennessaw, GA) in September, 2011. It has several hundred hours on it.

Prior to Doug's visit we exchanged several e-mails and phone calls over the course of a few weeks. The good calibrators make rounds about the country or region so setting up a session can take a little time. A week or so prior to the appointment, he gave me specific instructions for downloading and installing firmware updates.

He requested information about the devices connected to the TV such as Blu-ray, HD-DVD, Comcast DVR, etc. And he wanted to be sure all the original remote control units were available to him.
He requested that the set be turned on for at least an hour before the calibration. It is important for the room to be pretty dark for the test equipment to function correctly, especially for the low level calibration.

He arrived right on time at 10am. We brought his equipment in and he went right to work. Setup time can vary but is usually about half an hour.

This is only my second calibration session. I had my Philips 42" plasma calibrated in the Spring of 2007 by Randy Tomlinson who worked with the same 'Lion AV' Group as Doug. I really wanted Randy to tune up my new TV but I could not locate him. I came across Doug in the process and he informed me that Randy was killed in an airplane accident shortly after he set up my Philips. The two men knew each other.

So, I sort of knew what to expect.
The control signal from the computer is RS-232. It seems a bit 'retro' for such a modern TV to require that connection but it works. The technician can then do a little magic and get inside the calibration menu. A signal generator creates the specific images that are then read by a 'camera-like device' that sits on a tripod a few inches from the TV. Sorry I can't recall the proper name for the device but it is impressive.

After the equipment was set up Doug did a scan using the settings I had applied in the Custom mode. He also did a 'pre-calibration' check in the THX mode.
(I did not post the THX images at this time). While the settings were not terrible, there was room for improvement.

Doug is quite good at explaining the process. He was also quite patient with some of my silly questions. I work in the broadcast engineer field, but it is radio. I know very little about how color TV works. But I know more today than yesterday after the session. He explained every aspect of what he was doing each step of the way. He was here for more than three hours and was busy the entire time.

My old custom settings are still intact so I can go back and forth to compare the before and after. It really is neat to see how much better things look, especially the darker lit images.

I asked Doug to create a 'Day ISF' mode although we mostly watch TV at night. He did some quick measurements and we decided it wasn't worth the effort for a slightly brighter picture. The Night ISF mode is pretty bright really.

I highly recommend Doug as your calibrator. I am very impressed.

"Lion AV Consultants" web site has details for booking.

This review probably belongs in the calibration thread but since I started the discussion here yesterday I just posted here. Perhaps there is some way to link it. Today is the first time I ever posted images.

-Dick

Hi, Dick:

Thanks so much for sharing the reports--very interesting and looks like Doug did a great job!

(As far as the links for calibration reports go, htwaits maintains a great lists of these and I'm sure he'll put yours in there as well)

Cheers!
post #5596 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Ok Guys so Amazon just came to deliver my replacement 65VT30 and took back the one with all those dead pixels

This one is perfect and I see no dead or stuck pixels running the slides like I could with the other

The only issue with this one is that the buzzing is real bad on the top left behind the tv where the fan is spinning

The one that went back had zero buzzing

This one has it and when I press the back cover in the spot where the vents and the fan are it sounds even louder

The other side on the right with the vent and fan it is spinning but you cant hear it

It is driving me crazy. It is loud in normal view on thx or running slides

Anything I can do?

When I power down the tv, it shuts off and the fan you hear slowing down till it stops completely

The other tv that went back did not have such issues.

I dont want to have to return this again. I missed work today
post #5597 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM

Well, that sucks... Mine is as quiet as the Sony HX929 LED in the room!!

Sorry you're having all these issues with the TV!

If I were you, I'd exchange it again... for peace of mind! I've realized if something [cosmetic or functional] starts to bother me.. I keep seeing/hearing/focussing at it which takes away from what the TV is for..fun!

I wouldn't bother with the slides and all the other set-up effort on something that's obviously bothering you! Exchange it !!
post #5598 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rahul View Post

Well, that sucks... Mine is as quiet as the Sony HX929 LED in the room!!

Sorry you're having all these issues with the TV!

If I were you, I'd exchange it again... for peace of mind! I've realized if something [cosmetic or functional] starts to bother me.. I keep seeing/hearing/focussing at it which takes away from what the TV is for..fun!

I wouldn't bother with the slides and all the other set-up effort on something that's obviously bothering you! Exchange it !!

nah no way i am returning the tv....I might have to just call Panasonic and see if they can come out and check it out

I dont want to take a chance of getting another with dead or stuck pixels like the first one had all over the place and or another buzzer

This one is perfect except for the buzzing which i hope can start to die down after a few days or i will just call panasonic
post #5599 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

These images are from the calibration session done by Doug Weil on February 18, 2012. The panel is the TC-P55VT30 purchased from Best Buy Magnolia (Kennessaw, GA) in September, 2011. It has several hundred hours on it.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post#2) lists that are linked in my signature.

Quote:

This review probably belongs in the calibration thread but since I started the discussion here yesterday I just posted here. Perhaps there is some way to link it.

I think the best place for calibration reports is in the owner's thread for the display in question. In this case, right here where other owners of the same display would have the best chance to read the report.

I started the "owner's report" thread so that I wouldn't feel compelled to answer a very common question over and over again. "Is a calibration worth it?"

Enjoy.
post #5600 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I had have ZERO problems and when I got my TV delivered, I didn't set it up 'til a week and a half later. Too busy with work during the week. It was still in the box. I set it up and mounted on a vertical stand attached to the furniture. With no help, let me tell you 80lbs felt like 800lbs but with some ingenuity, I was able to figure out HOW to mount that on my own.

I have not run any of D-Nice's settings, though I did for a week straight leave it on when I left for work on ESPN and kept it at a normal volume to not only break in the TV but my speakers as well.

As for any dead pixels and fan noise....I hear no evil, see no evil. Perfect TV. I have a July build. Purchased in November. Will get it calibrated in a month or so. Just sit back and enjoy this bad boy! (ps. I have the P55TV30)
post #5601 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Anyone here just start watching the TV right out of the box as normal and had no problems?

Sure but there are a few things that I think you need to know.

Quote:

Anything wrong with setting brightness/contrast/whatever too high at first (or ever)?

That's one of those few things you need to know. You want your displays phosphors to age as evenly as possible, especially when the panel is new. That only means that you shouldn't use high brightness and contrast settings during the first few hundred hours when the phosphors burn off at the most rapid rate.

I would also avoid fixed logos, black bars, and any other fixed images for the first one hundred hours. Full screen images and no fixed images is the ideal. Once you have some hours on your display, go ahead and watch everything, but try to mix things up if fixed images and black bars are involved. For instance, watching nothing but ESPN or doing very long gaming sessions might cause some image retention or burn-in.

Quote:

The one hundred hour procedure is not intended for break-in. You can do what you suggest because the slides are safe full screen images. If you want to use D-Nice's settings for your display, and get the most out of them, then you need to follow his instructions exactly. If you don't follow his instructions, you can still try his settings and see if they are better than what you got out of the box.

Quote:

What options do you have if the TV breaks down after that first year?

You can buy an extended warranty.

Quote:

This is my first purchase of this scale and as you can imagine I'm worried about a lot of stuff.

Just watch HDTV channels without logos, or Blu-ray movies with a 1.77:1 (16:9) aspect ratio for a hundred hours or so and enjoy your new TV while you do it.

P.S. Don't crank up the contrast and brightness. Just use the normal setting options.
post #5602 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilG View Post

Calibrating can open a whole can of worms!

Do you mean calibrating yourself or getting a qualified calibrator with good references to do it?
post #5603 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

watching nothing but ESPN or doing very long gaming sessions might cause some image retention or burn-in.

I don't game on mine but I agree that had I remembered about ESPN (or even say a news station like CNN, HLN or CNBC) they have the scrolling ticker at the bottom. But so far I have no image retention, but something to be aware about for new owners.
post #5604 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post#2) lists that are linked in my signature.

I think the best place for calibration reports is in the owner's thread for the display in question. In this case, right here where other owners of the same display would have the best chance to read the report.

I started the "owner's report" thread so that I wouldn't feel compelled to answer a very common question over and over again. "Is a calibration worth it?"

Enjoy.

Perfect! Thanks ht. I really was just hoping Doug would get the most out of the post.

Yes calibration is worth it! Now I can stop fiddling with the menu and just watch television. If the picture doesn't look just right, it must be the source.
post #5605 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Perfect! Thanks ht. I really was just hoping Doug would get the most out of the post.

Including his AVS user-name in your original post wouldn't hurt.
post #5606 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

Including his AVS user-name in your original post wouldn't hurt.

Doug's AVS is DroptheRemote

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #5607 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Thanks. It fits. He is an imposing dude.
post #5608 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Quote:

Thanks. It fits. He is an imposing dude.

All of DroptheRemote's are linked in the lists by his user name. I hope you can use the edit command to add his AVS user name to your original report.

Thanks.
post #5609 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM

done! thanks guys.
post #5610 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

can someone point me to a place where there is info about calibrating these TV's - I have asked fellow calibrates and not to many have calibrated this set more then a few times - what are the features I want to turn on and off

usually I turn everything off, but there are probably some that are good to use and others that arent

maybe an explanation of the settings more so then what it says in the manual

what things are good for 3D and what ones arent?

I want the retro skin back please
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page