Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 188 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5611 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now I feel not so bright I just finished about 2 hours trying to get a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo to install the 2.1 FW. I'm trying to get my VT30 ready for calibration. For some reason I couldn't get the TV to recognize this SD card. Does anyone know if this Memory Stick Card is not compatible with the TV?

Initially, the SD card fit fine into the SD slot (it sprung in and out). After trying several times to get the 2.1 FW to install, I tried to put it in another way. It still sprung in and out fine a few times, until it got stuck. After an hour, I finally was able to remove it with a paper clip. I'm now afraid to try putting it back in. Does it sound like my SD slot is broken or is the Sony Memory Stick not compatible? The Memory Stick still works on my camcorder.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Sabin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5612 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

can someone point me to a place where there is info about calibrating these TV's - I have asked fellow calibrates and not to many have calibrated this set more then a few times - what are the features I want to turn on and off

usually I turn everything off, but there are probably some that are good to use and others that arent

maybe an explanation of the settings more so then what it says in the manual

what things are good for 3D and what ones arent?

Are your fellow calibrators professionals?
post #5613 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

Right now I feel not so bright I just finished about 2 hours trying to get a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo to install the 2.1 FW. I'm trying to get my VT30 ready for calibration. For some reason I couldn't get the TV to recognize this SD card. Does anyone know if this Memory Stick Card is not compatible with the TV?

Initially, the SD card fit fine into the SD slot (it sprung in and out). After trying several times to get the 2.1 FW to install, I tried to put it in another way. It still sprung in and out fine a few times, until it got stuck. After an hour, I finally was able to remove it with a paper clip. I'm now afraid to try putting it back in. Does it sound like my SD slot is broken or is the Sony Memory Stick not compatible? The Memory Stick still works on my camcorder.

Thanks,
Andrew

I have the same memory card. Unfortunately the VT30 is only compatible with SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.
post #5614 of 6436 Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the same memory card. Unfortunately the VT30 is only compatible with SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards.

Guess that's why I struggled so much. I just assumed it would work since it's the same size and fits in the sd slot.

Does anyone use a USB drive to install a FW update? Do you think I broke my SD Slot trying to use the Sony Memory Stick? Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #5615 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

Thanks,
Andrew

I used a SanDisk. It worked fine.
I have an idea the USB port won't work for this but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
post #5616 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Ok, so I managed to make skin tones look a little less red then they were before and are now pretty close on HDMI to what I was seeing on component (component colors looked pretty good, not as red faced while HDMI was showing more red in the picture). All I needed to do was adjust my color settings on HDMI. I am using "normal" as my color space, not warm 2 as this makes the overall picture to red and washed out to me. I have also dropped color to 45 and this has helped make things look better. I noticed Dnice has his settings at 37 but to me there is not enough color to the picture. Somewhere between 45-43 is the ideal setting for me. Remember I am coming off a Pioneer 151 Elite so I've been trying to match the picture to what I've grown used to over the last 3 years. Now I am really close to being in the same exact spot. I had the Elite color space on what would be the equivalent to normal on the VT30 as well.

One thing that bothered me was watching Real Steal and Hugh Jackman's face seemed really red. Dropping the color down to 45 has really helped it seem more of a natural color.
post #5617 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Ok, so I managed to make skin tones look a little less red then they were before and are now pretty close on HDMI to what I was seeing on component (component colors looked pretty good, not as red faced while HDMI was showing more red in the picture). All I needed to do was adjust my color settings on HDMI. I am using "normal" as my color space, not warm 2 as this makes the overall picture to red and washed out to me. I have also dropped color to 45 and this has helped make things look better. I noticed Dnice has his settings at 37 but to me there is not enough color to the picture. Somewhere between 45-43 is the ideal setting for me. Remember I am coming off a Pioneer 151 Elite so I've been trying to match the picture to what I've grown used to over the last 3 years. Now I am really close to being in the same exact spot. I had the Elite color space on what would be the equivalent to normal on the VT30 as well.

One thing that bothered me was watching Real Steal and Hugh Jackman's face seemed really red. Dropping the color down to 45 has really helped it seem more of a natural color.

I love warm 2 on thx but warm 1 on video games in custom mode

Normal has to much of a blue tinge to look remotely realistic.

For games I lower the light blue W/B levels to get rid of the slight blue tinge on warm 1 and it looks great
post #5618 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 PM

Forgive my ignorance because I've been using an LCD with motion enhance (XBR4) for the last few years...

I recently swapped the tv for the 55VT30 and the picture seems very jittery with any movement faster than a crawl.

For example in skyrim, just panning the screen around at a medium speed seems very jittery.

Is this what I should be expecting of a plasma or can I correct this by messing with the settings.

I really want to have this thing calibrated as I have only the most basic of knowledge when it comes to messing with the video settings. Most of the stuff I'm trying to read here is going right over my head.
post #5619 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsound8 View Post

Forgive my ignorance because I've been using an LCD with motion enhance (XBR4) for the last few years...

I recently swapped the tv for the 55VT30 and the picture seems very jittery with any movement faster than a crawl.

For example in skyrim, just panning the screen around at a medium speed seems very jittery.

Usually gamers don't replace LCD with plasma because of the potential for burn-in. Still plasma is faster than LCD so maybe someone will be able to help you configure you display for gaming. I'm sure that there are some gamers who are in this thread.
post #5620 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Is this what I should be expecting of a plasma or can I correct this by messing with the settings.

I really want to have this thing calibrated as I have only the most basic of knowledge when it comes to messing with the video settings. Most of the stuff I'm trying to read here is going right over my head.

I play M.W. Black Ops and other games without experiencing any jitter at all. For all gaming I use game mode toned down a bit in the brightness/contrast settings and it works very well for me. You may be able to minimize the jitter you're seeing by using the "motion smoother" function. I can't explain why you're experiencing jitter with games and i'm not though.

My 55VT30 was professionally calibrated last Saturday with great results. The picture is cleaner, as though a thin layer of haze has been removed from it. There's also more "pop" in overall image quality as well as improved color and skin tones with all content after calibration. I personally feel it was worth the extra money and not just because I saw the before and after info on graphs etc. but because I clearly see a difference in the picture quality after watching varying content for a little over a week now.

Best luck with your set.
post #5621 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvision7m View Post

You may be able to minimize the jitter you're seeing by using the "motion smoother" function. I can't explain why you're experiencing jitter with games and i'm not though.

That may be the root cause of the problem. Interpolation like IFC can definitely cause panning the camera around in games to hitch.

I'd disable it or try THX mode and report back.
post #5622 of 6436 Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by debyrd View Post

I used a SanDisk. It worked fine.
I have an idea the USB port won't work for this but it probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

You're correct--you need a working SD card and slot.

The other way to do this is via the network connection.
post #5623 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 AM

I'm in need of some ideas here!

When playing Forza 4(racing game) on my 55vt30 I can't help but notice all this shutter/glitch effect on the road and surroundings. What do you think I should tweak to get a sharper image without so much shutter?

Just to cover things my setup is this
-D-Nice settings
-HDMI plug
-Input Label is in GAME
-Reference levels for X360 set to standard
-HDMI color space on auto

So what setting do I need to adjust here? Bump it up from 60Hz maybe?
post #5624 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdisciplexxx View Post

I'm in need of some ideas here!

When playing Forza 4(racing game) on my 55vt30 I can't help but notice all this shutter/glitch effect on the road and surroundings. What do you think I should tweak to get a sharper image without so much shutter?

Just to cover things my setup is this
-D-Nice settings
-HDMI plug
-Input Label is in GAME
-Reference levels for X360 set to standard
-HDMI color space on auto

So what setting do I need to adjust here? Bump it up from 60Hz maybe?

Input label of Game means nothing. That has zero affect on what is happening

D-Nice Settings do not translate to video games IMO..

I use Custom with my own tweaks

Make sure motions smoother is off and not on weak or strong

Turn off contour emphasis as well
post #5625 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Is it worth setting the TV to game instead of custom? BTW all those options are off. Maybe motion smoother might help ehy???
post #5626 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxdisciplexxx View Post

Is it worth setting the TV to game instead of custom? BTW all those options are off. Maybe motion smoother might help ehy???

Motion Smoother gives the picture a soap opera look to it. If you want to have the best experience then that has to be OFF

I dont use game mode because the settings for game mode are completely of of wack.

Custom is the way to go for games. IMP

Thx is fantastic in terms of reference but to dull for gaming. Perfect for movies
post #5627 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM

Well man that leaves me with the same settings I have now lol. Forza is so fast moving that for w/e reason the current way i have it set up makes the road just kind of fades off. I'm trying to get a sharper image outline instead of those vertical lines that show up. It just doesn't look clean at all. DRIVES ME NUTS!
post #5628 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Fyi, the usb option worked for me since the sony memory stick isn't compatible. It went much smoother. Wanted to help anyone else looking to use usb.

Andrew Sabin
post #5629 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM

For all the gamers out there, been playing even more now. BF3 is just NO issues whatsoever, could play for days, nothing happens. Played few hours of mass effect 2 as well, no issues. The only issue I've had so far was mass effect 3 online and a really bright red cross in multiplayer. Since there's no cinematics and **** I got a slight retention with obviously went away asap.. however that was a few days ago, got more hours now. Still a bit annoying that they made it so bright, stupid if you ask me.

Soon I will watch STAR WARS the way it was intended, with black bars .

Black bars isn't the same thing as other static images right? Black boxes is far more common for movies and such so surely Pana thought of this
post #5630 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post

For all the gamers out there, been playing even more now. BF3 is just NO issues whatsoever, could play for days, nothing happens. Played few hours of mass effect 2 as well, no issues. The only issue I've had so far was mass effect 3 online and a really bright red cross in multiplayer. Since there's no cinematics and **** I got a slight retention with obviously went away asap.. however that was a few days ago, got more hours now. Still a bit annoying that they made it so bright, stupid if you ask me.

Soon I will watch STAR WARS the way it was intended, with black bars .

Black bars isn't the same thing as other static images right? Black boxes is far more common for movies and such so surely Pana thought of this

Not as nearly bad but you can still get lines where the picture ends.
post #5631 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have the same problem with skyrim. It did not occur on my old LCD rp tv. I don't notice the issue on other games so im not sure what is going on.
post #5632 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM

I just wanted to share my great (so far) experience with US Appliance. Ordered my 65VT30 last week and it arrived via Pilot today. 2 great guys carried the TV into the house and actually seemed to be having fun unpacking it and helping me to put it on the stand. One even joked that I'm gonna get grief from the wife about how big the TV is
The folks I dealt with at US Appliances were great; very responsive and even worked directly with Pilot on working out a little scheduling snafu.
The TV is a January 2012 build (do I have to even worry about updating firmware?) and the screen seems fine, no flaws.
I'm about 3 hours into my break-in slides... No blobs, no buzz.

I laughed previously about people struggling with their patience in waiting for the slides to finish their thing and now I completely understand... I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT!!!????
post #5633 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theesir View Post

I just wanted to share my great (so far) experience with US Appliance. Ordered my 65VT30 last week and it arrived via Pilot today. 2 great guys carried the TV into the house and actually seemed to be having fun unpacking it and helping me to put it on the stand. One even joked that I'm gonna get grief from the wife about how big the TV is
The folks I dealt with at US Appliances were great; very responsive and even worked directly with Pilot on working out a little scheduling snafu.
The TV is a January 2012 build (do I have to even worry about updating firmware?) and the screen seems fine, no flaws.
I'm about 3 hours into my break-in slides... No blobs, no buzz.

I laughed previously about people struggling with their patience in waiting for the slides to finish their thing and now I completely understand... I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT!!!????

Just want to know why is every one using break in slides?All you need to do is set it to THX and that's it.
post #5634 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 PM

We are on our 5th replacement by Amazon, defects and broken screens, they are now telling us all they have for the 65VT30 are TV's starting with first four serial numbers of; MG12 and MF12.

Does anyone know what build dates these are for?
post #5635 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robase007 View Post

Just want to know why is every one using break in slides?All you need to do is set it to THX and that's it.

I always have my slides locked in on the usb and when I am done playing games I run them for half hour to an hour and have not seen a hint of I.R

Even if I do it is slight and when slides are done they I.R is gone

But slides are full screen. Thx is only what the source you feed it

You could watch a movie on USA and it is full screen but commercials are 4:3
post #5636 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many use the slides because they wish to achieve the same results as DNice did when he developed his settings.
post #5637 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I have never used them before on my two pioneers and a lower model panasonic for the kids room. I figured what the hell, i'll give it shot. If it makes a difference,good, if not, no big loss. Besides, i still have to run a receptacle and hdmi cables to the spot where i'm mounting that beast.
post #5638 of 6436 Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Got my Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Saturday. On hour 99.5 of the slides. The TV looks small with my speakers!

post #5639 of 6436 Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post

We are on our 5th replacement by Amazon, defects and broken screens, they are now telling us all they have for the 65VT30 are TV's starting with first four serial numbers of; MG12 and MF12.

Does anyone know what build dates these are for?

Ugh, sorry to hear that. That's got me worried as well since I ordered from Amazon. I placed the order Saturday morning and still haven't received a call to schedule a delivery, though I'm taking into account that Monday was a holiday.

As for build dates, doesn't look like there's a compiled list anywhere which is a bit surprising. All I could find were ones that were included in individual reviews:

August build, Serial MJ1214XXXXX
serial number XX1244, build date September 2011
The build date is August 2011.. The serial number is MJ1216xxxx
January 2012 build. Serial is MJ2011xxxxxx

I hope that the only ones Amazon has left aren't returned units that they didn't find any problems with on their end. And I know some delivery people get anal when you want to test out the TV before you sign for it. Hm, I have a bad feeling about this now...

EDIT: BTW, which store did you get the TV from through Amazon? Mine shows I purchased it from Amazon and not some other store (For example, 'purchased from Paul's TV and fulfilled by Amazon).

Also, has anyone who has had issues considered contacting Panasonic to get it fixed rather than returning it? According to the warranty info they do on-site repairs for the larger TVs which I know the P65VT30 falls under. Just seems like it would be more convenient than getting TVs shipped over and over again.
post #5640 of 6436 Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzaghi View Post

I have the same problem with skyrim. It did not occur on my old LCD rp tv. I don't notice the issue on other games so im not sure what is going on.

I read somewhere it has to do with the HZ you display content at. Set it to 60hz if it's at 50hz. I do not have any issues what so ever at 60hz. Change the settings on your xbox/ps3 unit.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page