Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Series Thread Discussion Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

So does anyone have a VT30 and Oppo 93 for a Bluray player. What is the 3d like? Do you get much popout effect when it's there? I have yet to see much in the way of popout and anything that does might be a foot or less then that from the screen. This is including on Avatar with scenes that I remember seeing lots of popout in the theatre. ex) giving the video diaries the comp graphics always stuck out a lot in the theatre, on the VT30 it hardly comes out at all. Is this normal?

The Avatar 3D BR does have more "pop out" compared to most of the 3D titles on the market. (I viewed this via a Panny 310 and the VT30)

However, I personally think 3D's best use isn't for "pop out" effects but rather giving a natural depth to movie scenes. I prefer this more subtle use of the technology because things flying at me and gimmick shots tend to remind me that I'm watching a 3D television, when what I really want to be doing is losing myself in the story.

Just my humble opinion though--I'm glad folks like the pop outs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomark View Post

So, this is dumb but I'm kind of nervous and excited for tomorrows delivery of my 65VT30.
I'm really hoping I have a current build and EEPROM update on it and I'm just hoping there are no issues, damaged screen, etc.

I plan on first looking for the serial number, hoping its 1215+. Then I want to examine the screen (flashlight at an angle) to make sure it's ok. Next, I want to plug it in and check the EEPROM (looking for 84.46). If this is all good, I will accept delivery.

Am I missing anything? I really hope this is the last exchange I have to do...

If you wish to save some time, you could just check the EEPROM: as long as the EEPROM is the latest, the serial number doesn't matter in terms of performance. (Since some earlier manufacturer dates have been flashed prior to delivery).

In addition, when I take TV deliveries, I have a source component (typically a BRP) up and ready to plug in for a quick check) before I sign the papers. Alternatively, you could run through an abbreviated round of slides to expose any stuck or dead pixels.

Good luck to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5853 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

LEDs can produce VERY deep blacks. I had a full array back lit Vizio LED (VF551XVT) that def had darker blacks than my Panny does now. The top and bottom bars blended into the bezel and when the screen went dark it looked like the TV was off. Because, in a sense, it was!

But I paid a price for those blacks (loss of shadow detail, blooming, etc., etc.).

Hey, make sure in Custom mode that C.A.T.S is turned off, and make sure that AGC is set to "0".

I have both of these set as you mentioned. After comparing my led to the Panasonic, it is clear the Panasonic has better blacks. The panasonic has a black border that can make blacks sometimes look grayish, while my led has a silver bezel that does not cause this illusion.

fdsfds
post #5854 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

LEDs can produce VERY deep blacks. I had a full array back lit Vizio LED (VF551XVT) that def had darker blacks than my Panny does now. The top and bottom bars blended into the bezel and when the screen went dark it looked like the TV was off. Because, in a sense, it was!

Have you measured the black level on these two sets? This goes contrary to what I would expect. Unless someone has a Sony 929 or Sharp Elite, I can't see an LCD besting the VT30 for black level.
post #5855 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

I have both of these set as you mentioned. After comparing my led to the Panasonic, it is clear the Panasonic has better blacks. The panasonic has a black border that can make blacks sometimes look grayish, while my led has a silver bezel that does not cause this illusion.

It has been a few years. I just recall, when watching dark scenes with the lights out on the Vizio that blacks would really blend into the top and side bezel. If the the screen went blank it literally looked as if the TV was off.

Maybe if I had the two next to each other I would see what you see.

I know, back when it came out, the Vizio had deeper blacks than the V10 did (according to cnet).

What I always wonder is if the level of black these panny's can obtain is limited to how dark the screen is when off, then the Vizio was solid black, where as the Panny, when off, seems to be more of a very dark gray.
post #5856 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM

New owner of Panny TCP 65VT30. Not overly impressed with factory picture settings. Anyone advise on some good settings?
post #5857 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post

Have you measured the black level on these two sets? This goes contrary to what I would expect. Unless someone has a Sony 929 or Sharp Elite, I can't see an LCD besting the VT30 for black level.

No I haven't. I was speaking more from recollection. If I had the two sets side by side I may just tell myself to shut up
post #5858 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartin View Post

New owner of Panny TCP 65VT30. Not overly impressed with factory picture settings. Anyone advise on some good settings?

I would personally consider the 2.1 patch. What picture modes are you using?
post #5859 of 6439 Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:

I would personally consider the 2.1 patch. What picture modes are you using?

Where do I get info about patch?
post #5860 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Do you have any test discs like Spears&Munsil, AVSHD709, or Disney WoW?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #5861 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html
post #5862 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Date of my Panny is November 2011. Should have that patch. May have a 2.2 as think remember seeing in software versions.
post #5863 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Date of my Panny is November 2011. Should have that patch. May have a 2.2 as think remember seeing in software versions.

The 2.1 patch and the 2.2 software update are two different things (confusing, I know). You would have to install the 2.1 patch, then reinstall the 2.2.

I don't think any sets are being shipped with the 2.1 patch.
post #5864 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a link in the FAQ to a post which links to a discussion of the 2.1 unofficial firmware on another site--it purportedly addresses the color luminance issue, albeit not perfectly.

The 2.1 update will not likely make a huge difference to you at factory settings but may be useful if you are getting a professional calibration. If this is the case, I'd discuss it with the calibrator who is going to do your set before installing this update. (If you are serious about improving your picture quality, a pro calibration with someone who has done a lot of VT30's is the way to go IMHO).

The 2.2 official firmware update is another animal entirely--it really exists to update Vieracast--won't change picture quality.

If you don't want to go the pro calibration route, IMHO your next best bet is to follow the DNice break-in and settings as described in the FAQ.

post #5865 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM

I was traveling a bit and couldn't post this earlier. About a month ago, D-Nice came to calibrate my 65VT30.
He took about 3+ hours, patiently explained what he was doing, and answered whatever questions I had.

All I can say is WOW! It is getting better and better. My wife can't stop telling how good the TV is. When we watch movies in the night, in complete dark, darker scenes blend very well with the background.

Thanks D-Nice!

Enough has been said already, but I'll add it one more time, based on first hand experience. I would strongly recommend to get it calibrated by someone who is experienced working with such sets.
post #5866 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

I do.....and I am not an avid fan of 3d......they tend to be gimmicky and use"in your face" pop out visuals,rather than creating a "looking thru a window" effect,while creating a solid story..
If you really want to see what this setup can do...Get Hugo in 3D...Brilliantly done and,for the most part,I forgot I was even wearing glasses.
As for Avatar,I borrowed the "looking thru a window" quote from James Cameron...and remember,a lot of what you see or do not see depends a great deal on the transfer of the source material....not your equipment...

If future 3d releases gave the care that Scorcese (SP?) gave to Hugo,I would purchase a hell of a lot more titles in the future..

I couldn't agree more. Until I watched Hugo in theater, my impressions of 3D movies, were 'we also made movies pop-out". I remember Avatar vividly more for the overall production and presentation and overall experience and not necessarily for it's 3D.
I thought I would never like 3D and hence the 3D TVs (eventhough I own one now). Hugo changed everything. The beauty is, I was so disappointed watching Star Wars - I in 3D just the previous day. Yes! I watched Hugo in 3D so late. I know I can't compare the two.

Hugo will be my first 3D collection. Now, this leaves me with the feeling of wanting more good 3D movies. I hope Hugo-3D is the seminal moment in 3D movies.
post #5867 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Correct if I'm wrong but the P65VT30 does not have picture-in-picture, right? Just felt like watching cable while playing video games so I looked into this feature. From what little I've been able to find on various sites, it looks like it doesn't have it but I just want to be sure.

(PIP, P-I-P, Picture in Picture for anyone else who does a search of this thread. I looked for those terms but couldn't find anything, surprisingly)
post #5868 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

The 2.1 patch and the 2.2 software update are two different things (confusing, I know). You would have to install the 2.1 patch, then reinstall the 2.2.

I don't think any sets are being shipped with the 2.1 patch.

I will have my set in a few hours. So if 2.2 is applied, do you have to re apply 2.1, then install 2.2? Something doesn't make sense. Where do you go to check which update is installed?

Need. More. Bass.
post #5869 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Sorry wrong topic.
post #5870 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Okay, so I told you guys I was going to give my 2 cents when I got the XBR to compare to my 55VT30 which I bought in May 2011. A little bit about me, I'm just a regular guy, I love electronics and go to best buy once a week or I go into withdrawal. I always loved plasmas. My first was a sony 32" Awesome picture, that I still use today in the exercise room, second was a panasonic 42" PX500U, which I still use in the bedroom.

I decided to buy the VT30 back in May because of the reviews and because its the highest end Panasonic. I have never been happy with it because the PQ looked all dull and uninspiring to me, so after having the a-board replace and calibration I still was unhappy.. therefore I bought the Sony.

This is just my opinion!

1) Looks

The sony wins here, the black screen the nice clean borders, and the thinness beats the VT30. Its also much lighter.

2) Games

The sony wins hands down! I have never seen my xbox 360 or ps3 (playing COD, batman arkham city, and god of war III) look so good on the VT30. I can actually see things now! Shadows, details, silhouettes and the picture is sharper, brighter. I tried every mode on the VT30, it just doesn't compare when it comes to video games. Oh and this whole thing about lag is a bunch of bull, in fact I think the sony is faster than the VT30.

3) Movies/TV

Although the sony is a little sharper, the PQ is about the same, yes it does loose some sharpness sitting off angle, but its negligible and I don't see any ghosting, clouding or any flashligting that others reported. The blacks are significantly deeper than the panny too, and the glare not too much.

I'll post pictures soon

I'm overall happy with my sony, its only been 24 hours, but I'll post more as time goes on. Hope this helps someone who also purchased the VT30 and was unhappy with it, I plan on putting it on sale soon, if anyone is interested pm me, it comes with 3 year warranty thru pauls tv.
Thanks

Mo
post #5871 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Liked: 14
Just wanted to pass along this great deal on 65VT30 at Crutchfield 2,499
Plus 60 days price match/return policy. If the price keeps dropping just call and have them do a price reduction.

post #5872 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM

65vt30 arrived in good working order first thing this morning. got the slides running on it as soon as I had it plugged in. Wife thinks I'm a little crazy sitting there watching slides with comments like "Wow thats a fine red slide, oohhh a blue one..." for the next 100 hours. I feel a little like Gollum from LOTR "Ah VT30 my precious...." What a heavy beast, better have some strong walls to hold that thing if you mount it.

If anyone is interested mine came with a January build tag from Best Buy. My best buy rep did say the sets were discontinued and they weren't getting anymore in their warehouse from panasonic so get them while they have them.

Oppo 93 player arrived a few minutes ago along with my monoprice hdmi cables. A few more days and I get to enjoy everything, decommissioning my 5 year old Samsung DLP to basement duty.
post #5873 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Just wall mounted my P65 and can't stop watching OTA TV. I haven't been able to hook up other sources yet.

While looking at my hook-up situation I wondered what audio is output from the optical "Digital Audio - Out" jack on the back of the VT30? Is it only OTA TV/Cable TV audio or also audio from HDMI input (from Blu-ray, Satelitte TV)?
The manual is mum on detail.
post #5874 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Just took delivery of my VT30 and..whew..it's a MJ1316 November Build. I still don't know the EEPROM since I can't get it out of the box but I'm hoping since it's a newer build, it's got the 84.46...I'll know shortly.

Coming from the Sharp 70 LED, this thing is built much sturdier. The Sharp was all plastic. I like it

***Edit....84.46. I'm good. Just did the software update. Still not sure what version I'm on. Anyone know where to check that?

Need. More. Bass.
post #5875 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby2001 View Post

I wondered what audio is output from the optical "Digital Audio - Out" jack on the back of the VT30? Is it only OTA TV/Cable TV audio or also audio from HDMI input (from Blu-ray, Satelitte TV)?

It appears to pass along whatever input is received by the TV. When I have 5.1 multichannel input from Blu-ray or satellite, that is what is conveyed by the digital out of the VT30.

I can't perceive any difference whether the digital signal passes through the TV prior to arriving at the amplifier or whether it comes directly from the disc player or satellite box. All the digital processing lights suggest it's the same signal.

OTA? What's that? I live way out in the sticks.
post #5876 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdelais View Post

It appears to pass along whatever input is received by the TV. When I have 5.1 multichannel input from Blu-ray or satellite, that is what is conveyed by the digital out of the VT30.

I can't perceive any difference whether the digital signal passes through the TV prior to arriving at the amplifier or whether it comes directly from the disc player or satellite box. All the digital processing lights suggest it's the same signal..

That's good news - many thanks!

I noticed Panny includes an optical adapter. Is that a Mini-Toslink to Toslink adapter?
I'd rather do away with the adapter and use a optical cable with the proper connectors, if they can be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdelais View Post

OTA? What's that? I live way out in the sticks.

OTA = Over The Air or radio (TV) signal

For your "sticks" I suggest...

post #5877 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Sorry, wrong thread

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #5878 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2k View Post

About a month ago, D-Nice came to calibrate my 65VT30.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included a link to it in the flat panel (post #2) lists that are linked in my signature at the bottom of my post.

Calibration Resources:

post #5879 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribby2001 View Post

That's good news - many thanks!

I noticed Panny includes an optical adapter. Is that a Mini-Toslink to Toslink adapter?
I'd rather do away with the adapter and use a optical cable with the proper connectors, if they can be found.

OTA = Over The Air or radio (TV) signal

For your "sticks" I suggest...

If you were originally asking what I think you were asking, I'm afraid you're in for some disappointment. The Panny will pass 5.1 ONLY with OTA programming. If you have, say, a Blu-Ray player plugged into the TV via HDMI and are running optical out from the TV to a receiver, it will only pass 2.0. In order to get a multi-channel signal to your receiver/amp, you have to go directly from the external source (set-top box, BRP, etc), again, unless it's OTA programming.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #5880 of 6439 Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

If you were originally asking what I think you were asking, I'm afraid you're in for some disappointment. The Panny will pass 5.1 ONLY with OTA programming. If you have, say, a Blu-Ray player plugged into the TV via HDMI and are running optical out from the TV to a receiver, it will only pass 2.0. In order to get a multi-channel signal to your receiver/amp, you have to go directly from the external source (set-top box, BRP, etc), again, unless it's OTA programming.

That's what I suspected afterall since passing 5.1 from HDMI would probably violate some rule.

But no matter since I was primarily trying to figure out OTA TV-audio to the HT-audio system.

And once again, is that optical Digital Out jack on the TV a Mini-Toslink jack?

I'm not familiar with Toslink connectors but I'd rather do without the included optical adapter/dongle thingee (less loss).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page